Martial has got to remain at United | No, he hasn't been unfollowing United players on Instagram

maniwin

After watching UCL final last night , name me an attacker from any top teams in the world who DOES NOT track back and press defender , even Ronaldo did. He must be sold if he couldn't add that trait in his game cause we will never be a top team with him in starting line up.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
After watching UCL final last night , name me an attacker from any top teams in the world who DOES NOT track back and press defender , even Ronaldo did. He must be sold if he couldn't add that trait in his game cause we will never be a top team with him in starting line up.
It was a champions league final. One game where everyone would love to do it. Not week in week out against the likes of Stoke or West Brom

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He does track brack.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It was a champions league final. One game where everyone would love to do it. Not week in week out against the likes of Stoke or West Brom
Exactly. People making conclusions based on a final are crazy IMHO. It doesn't mean attackers shouldn't track back in general but Ronaldo never does in normal circumstances

breakout67

Supports
Man City
A very ignorant post since virtually every manager expects their attackers to work their arse off no matter what the opposition.

Conte, Mourinho, Aleggri all have 8-9 players defending when closing out games and leaving 1-2 attackers up top for a counter attack. In almost every scenario it is the striker and playmaker that are left up top (of which Martial is neither for us).

If you are not talking about pragmatic managers, then the other managers will expect the attackers to press and harass the opposition team (yes including Stoke or West Brom) which Martial also fails at when asked to do it for us.

Drifter

American
If the Sun article is true .This would be great news and would also mean Martial as been promised more game time.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
If the Sun article is true .This would be great news and would also mean Martial as been promised more game time.
I think it is a load of crap to be honest. Doesn't even mention that contract talks had already taken place earlier this season. We'll see if RMC backs it up or not.
Most Damien thread title ever.
Oi!

Art Vandelay

I hope we haven't offered a new contract and are playing hardball. You can't flatter to deceive for two years, kick up a fuss and then get rewarded with a new contract at a club with ambition. He should either earn a new contract or be shown the door.

automaticflare

I hope we haven't offered a new contract and are playing hardball. You can't flatter to deceive for two years, kick up a fuss and then get rewarded with a new contract at a club with ambition. He should either earn a new contract or be shown the door.
Yup

And people wonder why Real Madrid are so good and always up there

They don’t pander to this type of bullshit unless your fecking ronaldo

covlee junior

If he had a brain he would be dangerous!.

I've said it for awhile he doesn't have the football intelligence, you can get away with one braindead player but to have Rashford, Jones, Lingard, Smalling, Valencia to name a few is a recipe for failiure.
he is 22 ffs. even ronaldo can only dribble past opponent in that age like a monkey

InfiniteBoredom

he is 22 ffs. even ronaldo can only dribble past opponent in that age like a monkey
Err, nope. Ronaldo was having his breakout season with Utd winning the PL and made the CL semi aged 22.

However, if we compare them both 3 years into their career at Utd, it'd be quite similar. In fact, half of this forums wanted Ronaldo out in the summer of 06 following the World Cup debacle with Rooney and the fact that he had yet to improve much in productivity after 3 years.

redIndianDevil

If he had a brain he would be dangerous!.

I've said it for awhile he doesn't have the football intelligence, you can get away with one braindead player but to have Rashford, Jones, Lingard, Smalling, Valencia to name a few is a recipe for failiure.
Martial failing is not just due to his lack of "brain" as you put it. Why has Sanchez struggled in the same position? Does he not a brain too? The problem is our team as a whole, not just individual players, there is a reason why all our attackers are struggling, the passing from midfield is slow, there is no movement and lack of passing options result in continuous sideways passing. Martial or any other winger/attacker for that matter is expected to run solo at a packed defence, not even the fullbacks help by overlapping. How could they be successful?

InfiniteBoredom

Martial failing is not just due to his lack of "brain" as you put it. Why has Sanchez struggled in the same position? Does he not a brain too? The problem is our team as a whole, not just individual players, there is a reason why all our attackers are struggling, the passing from midfield is slow, there is no movement and lack of passing options result in continuous sideways passing. Martial or any other winger/attacker for that matter is expected to run solo at a packed defence, not even the fullbacks help by overlapping. How could they be successful?
I think you quoted the wrong post my friend.

edgar allan

Are you talking about Jose?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Err, nope. Ronaldo was having his breakout season with Utd winning the PL and made the CL semi aged 22.

However, if we compare them both 3 years into their career at Utd, it'd be quite similar. In fact, half of this forums wanted Ronaldo out in the summer of 06 following the World Cup debacle with Rooney and the fact that he had yet to improve much in productivity after 3 years.
That was with Fergie as manager who afforded him every opportunity as well. He did improve though I dont think its fair to say he didnt improve much in his first 3 years

Art Vandelay

Are you talking about Jose?
I don't think so, Mourinho already kicked up a fuss and got rewarded with a new contract.
One is one of the most successful managers of all time that just won us a European trophy and has taken us to our highest league finish in years. The other is a winger/striker that can't hold down a position even when he had very little competition. One could be poached while we have no backup plan, one isn't even a starter. Surely you don't need me to spell this out for you?

Even if that wasn't the case it doesn't change my point and all you're doing is pointing at one person to protect another. Making a mistake once doesn't mean you have to keep making it. Pro-Martial/anti-Jose agendas have nothing to do with this and are just muddying the issue.

Were either of you happy when we sold Jaap Stam?

Zlatattack

I have been thinking about this and we need to do everything to keep this guy. He's going to be one of the worlds best wide attackers if he meets his potential.

His game time must be managed, he needs to see a path into the first team. Sir Alex used to keep his squad players happy by telling them exactly how and when they featured in his plans. He needs to know he'll be rotated with Sanchez, he'll be expected to displace Sanchez in the first team within the next couple of years and of course he'll get every chance to do so earlier based on form.

The last 4 months must have been hard for him as Sanchez had been bought in and given every chance to bed in, resulting in his chances being cut, despite him being in decent form. The manager had to make that call because Sanchez is an established player in the league, has been top class for years now, and we needed to see that at Manchester United, especially as we were struggling to put in top performances. Next season is a new season, there is no expectation to start Sanchez because we've just paid a ton of money for him, so it's a fresh slate and a chance to stake your claim..

edgar allan

One is one of the most successful managers of all time that just won us a European trophy and has taken us to our highest league finish in years. The other is a winger/striker that can't hold down a position even when he had very little competition. One could be poached while we have no backup plan, one isn't even a starter. Surely you don't need me to spell this out for you?

Even if that wasn't the case it doesn't change my point and all you're doing is pointing at one person to protect another. Making a mistake once doesn't mean you have to keep making it. Pro-Martial/anti-Jose agendas have nothing to do with this and are just muddying the issue.

Were either of you happy when we sold Jaap Stam?
You could argue that Martial hasn't been able to hold down a place based on the opinions of the once successful manager that we have. If only some club would come and poach Jose, but sadly he is not in great demand,however that is for another thread.
No i wasnt happy when Stam was sold a case of cutting of your nose....

Dante

Average bang
Martial is a reactive player. He's generally not someone who can make things happen. He needs someone to open the door and invite him in.

By contrast, Sanchez breaks the door down bursts in without waiting.

It's why Martial flourished under LvG's system of slow possession that gave him an easy invitation to walk into dangerous positions.

Even looking this season, you can see that his end-product was mostly late goals in the last few minutes of big wins where we were already leading. Martial is generally not a difference maker on his own. So either he adds that to his game or he'll never make it at the top.

That's where his lack of work rate comes into it, for me. It's not about his tracking back. It's s about his lack of attacking intent.

Member 85611

Martial is a reactive player. He's generally not someone who can make things happen. He needs someone to open the door and invite him in.

By contrast, Sanchez breaks the door down bursts in without waiting.

It's why Martial flourished under LvG's system of slow possession that gave him an easy invitation to walk into dangerous positions.

Even looking this season, you can see that his end-product was mostly late goals in the last few minutes of big wins where we were already leading. Martial is generally not a difference maker on his own. So either he adds that to his game or he'll never make it at the top.

That's where his lack of work rate comes into it, for me. It's not about his tracking back. It's s about his lack of attacking intent.
I'd say the exact opposite. Martial is definitely someone who makes things happen.

Art Vandelay

You could argue that Martial hasn't been able to hold down a place based on the opinions of the once successful manager that we have. If only some club would come and poach Jose, but sadly he is not in great demand,however that is for another thread.
No i wasnt happy when Stam was sold a case of cutting of your nose....
Ok, let's say it is all Jose's fault. How does that translate to Martial deserving a new contract?

Dante

Average bang
It's just petty name-calling.

That's just the Player Performance Forum. The Manchester United Forum has several massive threads (including this one) which is full of people idolising him to an unreasonable level. No onther United player has such a massive cult on here.

edgar allan

Ok, let's say it is all Jose's fault. How does that translate to Martial deserving a new contract?
I am not saying that it is all Jose's fault. He is an inconsistent young player.
I think he has done more than enough last year to deserve a new contract, what other young forward player in the league has done better?
Certainly on less than 1/4 of Sanchez's wages he is good value.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That's just the Player Performance Forum. The Manchester United Forum has several massive threads (including this one) with is full of people idolising him to an unreasonable level. No onther United player has such a massive cult on here.
You're assuming all the replies are idolising him. His thread is so long because there's a mix of people who rate him and those who want him to feck off, so the two 'factions' collide and bicker. Also from all the players mentioned in the image he's one of the few going through contract negotiations and had reportedly rejected one so that was discussed in there partly too.

Edit: We also played in more competitions than just the league and CL so not sure why you restricted the replies per minute to those two.