- Jul 14, 2014
Very good breakdown.Let's summarise Martial's season up statistically:
14 goals and 5 assists in roughly 2200 minutes this season.
- Same number of non penalty goals (13) and assists (5) as Rashford this season, having played 100 mins less than Marcus.
- Same number of combined Goals and Assists (19) this season as Harry Kane, having played exactly the same number of minutes.
- More combined G+A than Aubameyang and Griezmann who are on 18 and 17 respectively for the season (having played less minutes than both).
- 4 more goals than Firmino in all competitions.
- One goal fewer than Tammy Abraham (15) in all competitions, having played 200 mins less than the Chelsea striker.
He's by no means flawless, but a player that can put up numbers like that playing for possibly the most disjointed United side in recent history should be appreciated, and you really wonder what kind of numbers he'd have put up if he had the chance to play with likes of Pogba, Rash and Bruno more than he has been able to so far this season. He's a super talent and he's getting more confident as a goalscorer. If we were a rational fanbase, it would be commonly accepted that he's literally almost the least of our worries.
If he's not our most important player, he's very clearly up there. Our worst run of form this season remains the period in September-October when he was injured. Him and Rashford carry us offensively.
He's not perfect, but he is certainly not a problem either and he deserves a chance to make the number 9 spot his own. So far this season he's done decent individually and I'd be happy seeing him as our first team #9 next season when hopefully our injuries are settled and we have some reinforcements come in.