Martial is our most important player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
Martial had a good second half. But he's still a very inconsistent player, who is frustrating as feck to watch often. I want it to click for him, but people are far too quick to laugh and mock people with the opposite opinion on here.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
No one said he had good first half. There is difference in saying he didn’t have good half and he was dog shit. Don’t have to pick extremes to make your point.
My mistake. Where I come from we do tend to exaggerate with words. I should of said poor. Advice taken on board.

What was wrong with my quotes @Forevergiggs1? Expecting more from two of our best players is a good thing. My comments was at halftime and I'm a big fan of Rash.
Absolutely nothing wrong with your quotes Catt. My argument why (for me) Martial still can't be considered our most important player is he still lacks consistency. I was using yesterdays game as an example. Poor first half and a fantastic second. I quoted other posters (yourself) to show I wasn't the only one who thought he had a poor first half.

He was poor the first half but second half both him and Rashford were majestic.
And I agree 100%

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
How the feck is saying ‘hope he scores because he is in my fantasy team’ saying anything?

don’t ever quote me again. Weird post(er)
I wasn't quoting you saying hope he scores I was quoting you more for your Martial needs to do more comment. And what's really weird is you saying my post (me) is weird because I quoted you on a forum. Talk about double standards. You don't want me to quote you ever again easy solution, just block me which would be for the best. I really can't understand why people spout so much venom for such an innocent comment.

Stadjer

He wasnt at his best the first 45 minutes but that wasnt his fault. He hardly got the ball so not much he could do about it. I certainly didnt want to be negative about him so i dont really understand why i was quoted?

The people in the live topic who were posting stuff like "should bring Martial on" or other things to imply that he is lazy/shit were way over the top. He is one of the best players at the club but because he isnt "putting in a shift", "playing for the badge" or because "he has shit body language" people dont like him. The reaction here after he came on (after a long injury) against Liverpool was ridiculous for example.

The same thing goes for Pogba.. these other fans want hardworking players with way less talent than Martial or Pogba. Just because.... they want to see someone running? Instead i like to watch football and Manchester United for the special players with a special talent. Personally i really cant understand all the hate/dislike a big group of United supporters have for the few players we have right now who actually have a special football talent.

Judas

Open to offers
I wasn't quoting you saying hope he scores I was quoting you more for your Martial needs to do more comment. And what's really weird is you saying my post (me) is weird because I quoted you on a forum. Talk about double standards. You don't want me to quote you ever again easy solution, just block me which would be for the best. I really can't understand why people spout so much venom for such an innocent comment.
Next time you mass quote people probably best to post a reason why you're doing it, its no surprise to see you've got people annoyed as generally that sort of thing is done when people are mocking the posts.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Martial had a good second half. But he's still a very inconsistent player, who is frustrating as feck to watch often. I want it to click for him, but people are far too quick to laugh and mock people with the opposite opinion on here.
He has had a stop start season so far with injury, however bar 1 or 2 games this season I think he has been excellent.

I think him playing the whole season as the number 9 will make him more consistent as a player.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
You were busy in the match day thead in the first half telling everyone how Martial is a shit player and him being useless is the norm. You basically pretended that this season he's been a ghost and people have overhyped him because of the caf mentality to hype and over rate players when they are out injured.

This is despite the fact that for the most part Martial has been consistently playing well when fit with about a mediocre game from him which was the Bournemouth one. The man has had like 9 appearances and performed averagely in about 1 or maybe 2 at a stretch yet the narrative comings from the likes of you is that he is inconsistent, frustrating, putting in his usual anonymous performances etc. How could anyone come to such a ridiculous conclusion having watched him play this season as our CF.

If anyone deserve to be laughed at then it's the likes of you who just can't stop fabricating nonsense and trying to perpetrate false narrative just because you either happen to have an agenda or just regurgitating what some lazy posters love spouting on these boards.

Out of his 9 appareances this season he's had about 7 good performances with 1 or 2 mediocre and even those could be attributed to him just returning from injury yet the likes of you still go around screaming that he's inconsistent and a shit player most of the time. I think it's time that you lots start getting called out, it's as simple as that.

Teja

Anyone have good examples of players who played #9 in a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 that aren't the typical target man types? Aguero is the only one I can think of. Plenty of clubs played false-9s like Messi / Firmino etc. but as an out and out attacker that stays up-front, does the hold up play, initiates counter attacks etc., I can't think of many.

The context obviously is that Martial is not really a false 9 and while he's been doing well with his link up play, I don't know if he can keep doing that on a consistent basis or in games where we're under the cosh a bit.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He has had a stop start season so far with injury, however bar 1 or 2 games this season I think he has been excellent.

I think him playing the whole season as the number 9 will make him more consistent as a player.
Exactly. He's had about 9 appearances this season with about 2 performance that could be called as mediocre and even in those cases they could be attributed to him just coming back from injury. Yet you have poster like the one you quoted who keep harping on this so called inconsistency from him when he's put good to excellent performances in about 75-80% of his apparances.

Some people either haven't been following us this season closely or are just being disingenuous with their assessments when it comes to certain players.

LoneStar

I said he needed to do better than the first half, and then he did do better?? What is the point of your comment, or tagging me?

It’s not that you quoted me, it’s that your post quoting so many people had absolutely no point.

unless you wanted to say I was right? Cause he did so much better in the second half. Tagging people without a comment or anything to add is very weird. Nothing to do with the site or double standards.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Next time you mass quote people probably best to post a reason why you're doing it, its no surprise to see you've got people annoyed as generally that sort of thing is done when people are mocking the posts.
OK fair enough. I thought the context was pretty clear. All people had to do was go back one post to see why they were being quoted.I was in no way mocking anyone but I'll listen to your advice.

ManchesterYoda

Martial is currently at 85 minutes per goal or assist in Premier and Europa and comfortably above an average of 7/10 per game :drool:
I can't wait for Pogba and Martial, no.10 and no.9. I really hope we get this and not have Pogba with McTominay and Pereira/Lingard/Mata as no.10.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Let's hope he finally fulfills his potential. I'm a bit tired of Martial false starts and I was losing my faith on him, tbh. I hope he keeps proving me wrong.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I said he needed to do better than the first half, and then he did do better?? What is the point of your comment, or tagging me?

It’s not that you quoted me, it’s that your post quoting so many people had absolutely no point.

unless you wanted to say I was right? Cause he did so much better in the second half. Tagging people without a comment or anything to add is very weird. Nothing to do with the site or double standards.
The error of my ways has already been pointed out to me. I should of put a reason why I was quoting people. My mistake.

djembatheking

Let's hope he finally fulfills his potential. I'm a bit tired of Martial false starts and I was losing my faith on him, tbh. I hope he keeps proving me wrong.
This is how I feel about him. He has got all the attributes just got to consistently perform game on game. Really hope he does it but not getting carried away yet.

Hambley

The point about Martial is clear: he's unstable and injury prone "player of the mood". He had great periods under LVG and Mourinho, although always steadily came back to his average lazy level. That's exactly why he's a mediocre player and never will be a top one. Stop praising him after several good matches and fancy him new Ronaldo. Just remember all his time at the club and make a logical conclusion.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This! He has all the tools to become a beast of a player. Pace, strength, technique!
Also my thoughts. He is an exciting player when he's ON. You can see opponents fear him when he's on a good day. But his problem was that his good days were never much to count. I really hope he finally does it

This is how I feel about him. He has got all the attributes just got to consistently perform game on game. Really hope he does it but not getting carried away yet.
Indeed. Every season he has a good string of 2/3 games, people praise him and say "finally we're going to see the real Martial", After a few matches he simply can barely dribble past an opponent even if his life depends on it. I guess it's a mental issue here, but let's hope he will finally turn it around. But still, not getting carried away because we've all seen it before.

ManchesterYoda

I notice a lot of people mention Martial's pace but I don't actually think he's all that quick. His shooting is his biggest strength in my opinion.
This season so far 11 out of 15 shots on target which is 73%.
Last season 25 out of 35 shots on target which is 71%.
This is definitely his main strength and is vital for a no.9. If we create the chances for him he will score a HELL OF A LOT of goals, not just 15-20, but 30+

Lynty

Anyone have good examples of players who played #9 in a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 that aren't the typical target man types? Aguero is the only one I can think of. Plenty of clubs played false-9s like Messi / Firmino etc. but as an out and out attacker that stays up-front, does the hold up play, initiates counter attacks etc., I can't think of many.

The context obviously is that Martial is not really a false 9 and while he's been doing well with his link up play, I don't know if he can keep doing that on a consistent basis or in games where we're under the cosh a bit.
Eto done it a fair bit, so did Torres, more recently Benzema, Higuain at Napoli, Suarez, Piatek this season Tammy is doing a good job of it.

RedCurry

I notice a lot of people mention Martial's pace but I don't actually think he's all that quick. His shooting is his biggest strength in my opinion.
This season so far 11 out of 15 shots on target which is 73%.
Last season 25 out of 35 shots on target which is 71%.
This is definitely his main strength and is vital for a no.9. If we create the chances for him he will score a HELL OF A LOT of goals, not just 15-20, but 30+
He’s as fast as any number 9 in the league. Sometimes he gets caught on his heels though.

Lynty

I notice a lot of people mention Martial's pace but I don't actually think he's all that quick.
Quickest PL players

Since 2013/14 Speed (km/h)
Sane 35.48
Vardy 35.44
Walker 35.42
Van Aanholt 35.42
Martial 35.40
Sissoko 35.33
Long 35.31
Jenkinson 35.31
Barrow 35.28
Rodallega 35.27

Judas

Open to offers
You were busy in the match day thead in the first half telling everyone how Martial is a shit player and him being useless is the norm. You basically pretended that this season he's been a ghost and people have overhyped him because of the caf mentality to hype and over rate players when they are out injured.

This is despite the fact that for the most part Martial has been consistently playing well when fit with about a mediocre game from him which was the Bournemouth one. The man has had like 9 appearances and performed averagely in about 1 or maybe 2 at a stretch yet the narrative comings from the likes of you is that he is inconsistent, frustrating, putting in his usual anonymous performances etc. How could anyone come to such a ridiculous conclusion having watched him play this season as our CF.

If anyone deserve to be laughed at then it's the likes of you who just can't stop fabricating nonsense and trying to perpetrate false narrative just because you either happen to have an agenda or just regurgitating what some lazy posters love spouting on these boards.

Out of his 9 appareances this season he's had about 7 good performances with 1 or 2 mediocre and even those could be attributed to him just returning from injury yet the likes of you still go around screaming that he's inconsistent and a shit player most of the time. I think it's time that you lots start getting called out, it's as simple as that.
Thats bollocks, I didn't even post during the first half, I posted twice about Martial at halftime, one of the posts is in this thread, and the other was basically saying he's not had much service :lol: bizarre thing to make up.

ManchesterYoda

Quickest PL players

Since 2013/14 Speed (km/h)
Sane 35.48
Vardy 35.44
Walker 35.42
Van Aanholt 35.42
Martial 35.40
Sissoko 35.33
Long 35.31
Jenkinson 35.31
Barrow 35.28
Rodallega 35.27
If this is true, why have I never noticed him being super fast? I've literally never thought "wow, that was quick" when watching Martial.

Teja

Eto done it a fair bit, so did Torres, more recently Benzema, Higuain at Napoli, Suarez, Piatek this season Tammy is doing a good job of it.
Eto'o and Torres are good picks. Benz, Higuain, Suarez, Rooney, Tevez are quite physical even if they're not the tallest around. Haven't been watching Chelsea a lot but I thought Tammy was pretty big as well (6' 3", 192lb).

Judas

Open to offers
Martial has a lot of great attributes, but yeah his pace never really comes across to me. Maybe because of Rashford scampering down the wings more often, so you notice it more?

Lynty

If this is true, why have I never noticed him being super fast? I've literally never thought "wow, that was quick" when watching Martial.
Taken from Prem League website. Think the gait of a player changes how fast they look. But considering who's he's sitting amongst in that list, he is indeed very fast.

Eto'o and Torres are good picks. Benz, Higuain, Suarez, Rooney, Tevez are quite physical even if they're not the tallest around. Haven't been watching Chelsea a lot but I thought Tammy was pretty big as well (6' 3", 192lb).
I think Martial is pretty phyiscal, but it's something he does need to improve. Tammy looks like he should be a target man, but doesn't play like it at all.

ManchesterYoda

You must ask yourself that question, young padawan.
Must be a combination of being deceptively fast and/or he is like a Cheetah and can be really fast in a really short burst, not in a one end of pitch to the other kind of fast.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Martial is very quick. He's just not express pace - Mbappe, James, Rashford, Walcott etc

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Thats bollocks, I didn't even post during the first half, I posted twice about Martial at halftime, one of the posts is in this thread, and the other was basically saying he's not had much service :lol: bizarre thing to make up.
You posted something along the lines saying that Martial being anonymous is the norm and went on to add that he's a case of a player whose hype improve with every injuries when he's out.

Your post was even quoted multiple time in the second half where people where replying to you saying your post didn't age well. I don't even know why you're trying to pretend otherwise now.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Must be a combination of being deceptively fast and/or he is like a Cheetah and can be really fast in a really short burst, not in a one end of pitch to the other kind of fast.
It's likely down to him not running at every opportunity. Full sprinting while keeping the ball in control is damn hard, and Martial is usually put in situations where he has to dribble with the ball. That's probably why you don't have the impression that he is that fast.

Rashford for example does a lot more sprints with and without the ball so appears to many as the faster of the two.

Denis' cuff

Could really be an absolute top drawer player. This game showed both sides of him. First half, simply not showing for the ball but people blaming it on the midfield, when he simply wasn’t finding space, which should be a forward’s instinct and constant endeavour. Second half a big improvement with not only more involvement but superb touches resulting in opening up space for others and losing his own man. Our struggles in recent seasons haven’t helped but he has been part of the problem (not alone, there) and although like the team as a whole, hasn’t found consistency, there are definite signs of him, and the team as a whole gelling. Almost getting excited at improvement in every department and don’t want to nit pick at this promising stage but one or two well chosen new arrivals alongside further development should see us all looking forward to matchdays with a bit more confidence.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Also in regard to quickness Martial won't appear as quick to some especially compared to the likes of James or Rashford because first they are faster than him but not by much but also most importantly because of his style of play.

Martial has never prefer to kick and rush to the ball even when given acres of spaces in front of him, something you'd see James and Rashford do. Martial on the other hand prefers to run with the ball still sticking to his feet hence why he'd never look like sprinting at full pelt the same way a player that gives himself space to run when they kick the ball and chase after it.

Only a few times I've seen him chase after a ball he kicked into space and even in those instances he's always reluctant to do so and will quickly resolve to having the ball stick to his feet. I think he just doesn't like the full sprint type of runs and chase the ball.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Surprised that there are a few who think he was poor in the first half yesterday. I don’t recall thinking that. From recollection, I think I told a mate that the few touches he had was positive but he hasn’t been in the game much - as a result of us not really creating much chances, or controlling the match, after going 2 nil up. And even then, he got an assist.

Isn’t there a difference between playing poorly as a CF and not just seeing enough of the ball? I guess a better way I would put it, was that he needed to/we needed to involve him in the game more. That doesn’t necessarily equate to poor. Not as a CF anyway.

I just tried to look at his stats for the match but couldn’t find a first and second half breakdown.

Judas

Open to offers
You posted something along the lines saying that Martial being anonymous is the norm and went on to add that he's a case of a player whose hype improve with every injuries when he's out.

Your post was even quoted multiple time in the second half where people where replying to you saying your post didn't age well. I don't even know why you're trying to pretend otherwise now.
It was quoted once mate, once. I completely stand by it too. That was a typical Martial game. You never know what you're going to get with him, for once we got it displayed over two halves, the good and the bad. I wasn't the only one to think he was bad first half, because he was.

Of course Martial can do no wrong right now, hopefully it continues, I'd love nothing more for him to become consistent, because he's clearly got the talent. Unlike plenty on here, there's not a single player I want to see fail in a Utd shirt.

ManchesterYoda

He managed to achieve a rating of 8.1 on Whoscored to be their statistical MoM. For a no.9 to get 8.1 without scoring a single goal is very impressive.
I don't think Lukaku would ever achieve anywhere close to 8.1 without scoring a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.