Martial is our most important player

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This. Additionally, I remember Martial was on form and Jose did a big, big mistake by bringing in Sanchez and made Sanchez a drop-in replacement for Martial. That decision was ridiculous.
One of the decisions that eventually led to Jose's sacking. He should never have touched Martial but asked Sanchez to be a RW or play centrally. He derailed and fecked up his season completely.
Let's not forget how Martial contributed heavily to Jose not being sacked in a home game vs Newcastle, the writing was on the wall and we just needed to lose to have Jose but Martial and Pogba stepped up

Greck

How odd is it that the narrative for 2 years was he couldn't play CF ahead of Rash because of no movement. What is our obsession with running? Technique, link up, hold up are also worth considering

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Ole's comments before the match for those who missed them:

Solskjaer insists Man Utd don't need Harry Kane because they have Anthony Martial

“Now Anthony is back, I am quite happy with the options I have in attack.

“I’ve heard what some people have said about us being short of a genuine No.9, but Anthony has absolutely everything in his locker to take that role.

“He can be a target man, he’s quick, he’s technical – and one of the reasons he wanted to stay here was because I told him I saw him as a central striker.

“I don’t think people outside the club realise how good this lad is.

“But the players in the dressing room know. When we are talking about how we are going to score goals, they say, ‘We will just give the ball to Anthony.’

“He has the confidence of his team-mates and his manager because we see him every day in training.

“What I’ve now got to do is set the team up to get the best out of him, but I think he will improve by just staying fit and playing more games.”

Kemizee

Ole's comments before the match for those who missed them:

Solskjaer insists Man Utd don't need Harry Kane because they have Anthony Martial
Another outrageous headline. We bloody need Harry Kane because Martial is never consistent. Whether we can afford him is another matter.

RedIan

Realistically we are not going to get Harry Kane but we do need another quality striker for when Martial is crocked which is often. Calum Wilson from Bournemouth, hes like Lukaku but with the added ability to control a ball and pass as well as run and score.

UncleBob

One of the decisions that eventually led to Jose's sacking. He should never have touched Martial but asked Sanchez to be a RW or play centrally. He derailed and fecked up his season completely.
Let's not forget how Martial contributed heavily to Jose not being sacked in a home game vs Newcastle, the writing was on the wall and we just needed to lose to have Jose but Martial and Pogba stepped up
Complete mismatch of personalities.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How odd is it that the narrative for 2 years was he couldn't play CF ahead of Rash because of no movement. What is our obsession with running? Technique, link up, hold up are also worth considering
The weird thing about movement and being industrious is that it's a lot more important for a wide player, I never really understood why so many people think that playing wide would be a better fit.

Thepinhead

The weird thing about movement and being industrious is that it's a lot more important for a wide player, I never really understood why so many people think that playing wide would be a better fit.
Which is why the older wingers get the more centrally they start playing. Just look at Giggs, Ronaldo etc. You still have to run a lot playing centrally it's just not so much sprinting as it is making clever runs.

lumeyes

No he bleedin doesn't. All he needs to do is keep banging the ball in the net at the same rate he has been for the last two seasons.

He's been scoring a goal for the equivalent of every game and a half worth of minutes he's been on the pitch since the season before last while never getting a consistent run in the team.

Judging his performance or ability on his body language is ridiculous.
You probably take it that I am attacking him. I can bet my last dime that he will bang in more goals with a general positive attitude. Look at Mane, even on a bad day any defender will still be wary of him. Same for Tevez. Body language if you care to know is (often) a reflection of your state of mind. I only want Martial to stay positive as much as possible, it will do him a lot of good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tango80

I think it's less that he's our most important, but now that there's not just one player in the pitch to rely on for goals. Now that both Martial and Rash are available, there's less pressure on one of them to score as they're sharing the burden.

Definitely still a striker short as we'll need to rotate/one of them will get injured, but I think we'll get that in January and even with just the one player, the team will look a lot more decent.

Withnail

You probably take it that I am attacking him. I can bet my last dime that he will bang in more goals with a general positive attitude. Look at Mane, even on a bad day any defender will still be wary of him. Same for Tevez. Body language if you care to know is (often) a reflection of your state of mind. I only want Martial to stay positive as much as possible, it will do him a lot of good.
That's what it sounded like so if that's not how you meant it then fair enough but this body language stuff is over blown.

It's nonsense to suggest one can know what's going on in his head or what motivates him to play well based on whether or not he smiles like a loon all the time. Some people aren't as expressive as others, especially when in public or concentrating.

Its lazy to assume that he isn't in a good mental state.

Kag

One of, certainly. He, Pogba and Maguire are crucial to the team.

People have underestimated the difference in performance between playing this guy and dickheads like Lingard.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...cristiano-ronaldo-names-four-man-20748458.amp

Makes you wonder. If (hypothetically) Ronaldo had joined United as an 18 year old in the summer that SAF retired would he now 6 years later have gone from thrilling, but at times frustrating, winger to one of the best two players in the world scoring 40 goals a season?

Now imagine how much of Martial and Rashford development has been ruined. Both showed more end product ability then Ronaldo at 18.

Greck

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...cristiano-ronaldo-names-four-man-20748458.amp

Makes you wonder. If (hypothetically) Ronaldo had joined United as an 18 year old in the summer that SAF retired would he now 6 years later have gone from thrilling, but at times frustrating, winger to one of the best two players in the world scoring 40 goals a season?

Now imagine how much of Martial and Rashford development has been ruined. Both showed more end product ability then Ronaldo at 18.
I want to agree but I just can't. Ronaldo had the drive to be the best that just isn't innate in many, Martial especially. And although he was a chronic showboat in his early days he had advanced football understanding that Rashford seems to lack. I'll meet you halfway and say we have stunted them a fair bit. Jose's tenure in particular feels like a waste of 3 years

Jeffthered

When he's up for it and interested, he's crucial and a total game changer.
Game changer? Against Partisan Belgrade and Norwich (who are pretty much bottom of the league..)

I have watched this guy for four seasons and he is no game-changer.

Ask Deschamps. Ask Mourinho.

He is a flashy player, who still doesn't know his best position.

Anthony Martial would not start for any of the big teams in Europe. None.

Has all the physical attributes, but he's nowhere near a game-changer.

He'll score a few goals, as all forwards will at Man United. But lead the team? Inspire the team, week in, week out?

Win big matches against top opposition, regularly?

No chance.

Rashford, Martial, Lingard.. All the same to me. Top players for a couple of games against average teams.

lumeyes

Game changer? Against Partisan Belgrade and Norwich (who are pretty much bottom of the league..)

He'll score a few goals, as all forwards will at Man United. But lead the team? Inspire the team, week in, week out?

No chance.

Rashford, Martial, Lingard.. All the same to me. Top players for a couple of games against average teams.
Good heaven. Which big team in Europe do you have in mind? Maybe there are different definitions of what a game changer means. I recall a match away against West Ham when he changed the game in principle with two goals, only for his team mates to let him down. What about his first season with us, did you also watch him?

meninred

Rashford and Martial are wing strikers who need space to operate. Of course they can play as forward striker but that is not their best position. It is best for them too as they wont be burdened with scoring 20+ goals as forwards are expected. That is why we need a forward . With both of them on the wing, they can score 10-15 goals per season which is within their capacity.

UTD UNSCRIPTED: MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
UTD UNSCRIPTED: MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE

Your life is all about the choices you make.

by Anthony Martial

TrustInOle

Should give credit to Ole too.

Many managers saw Rashford as the CF and Martial as the LW. Now their roles have reversed and we're starting to see much better performances.
Complete agree! And kudos for pointing this out, they both just seem so much natural on the opposite positions to eachother now. Definatley credits to Ole there.

Leonzo1

Directly involved in 5 goals in the 5 games he started for us this season. 4 goals and 1 assist.

TRUERED89

One of, certainly. He, Pogba and Maguire are crucial to the team.

People have underestimated the difference in performance between playing this guy and dickheads like Lingard.
Lingard doesn't play the 9 position, if he did then that'd make sense. If you were talking about Perreira/Pogba then yea, d!ckheads like JLingz should not be in the team over them.

SteveW

Ole is having a fantastic influence on Martial. Instead of shunting him to the wing he's actually playing him in his best role and he has him talking and looking like a proper goal obsessed number 9.
It reminds me of Ronaldos change in mindset.

He's also understood that Rashford is more of a wide forward than the traditional number 9 role that most wanted him to be. Both players returning to the natural positions they grew up playing.

The stunting/wasting of these two under the last 2 managers has been a shame to watch.

SteveW

No chance.

And yet he has a really good recent record against the top 6 teams. He scored against almost all of them last season. He also scored in the one game he had against one of them this season. How is that I wonder?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Ole is having a fantastic influence on Martial. Instead of shunting him to the wing he's actually playing him in his best role and he has him talking and looking like a proper goal obsessed number 9.
It reminds me of Ronaldos change in mindset.

He's also understood that Rashford is more of a wide forward than the traditional number 9 role that most wanted him to be. Both players returning to the natural positions they grew up playing.

The stunting/wasting of these two under the last 2 managers has been a shame to watch.
Forgetting about the results and performances so far, Solskjaer getting Martial playing in his natural position again is the biggest positive of Solskjaer's management so far for me.

You can see the positive influence Solskjaer has had on Martial. The difference is like night and day compared to under Mourinho. He just looks happy again. It's wonderful to see.

What i'm seeing now doesn't surprise me at all. There always was chemistry between Martial & Rashford. When Rashford first came through under LVG, him & Martial used to link up all the time, interchanging positions and setting each-other up. It was only when Mourinho came and made them compete for the same position on the left that we begun to lose it.

I'm very glad to see them getting back to how they were under LVG. It's looking very exciting. I believe they can be a very dangerous pairing for us together for sure.

Suedesi

All the talent in the world, hope he can kick on.

But, as others have pointed Paul is our most important player.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

No chance.

What a load of nonsense. Why are you choosing to ignore him literally scoring vs all the top teams in the league in recent years?

Guessing you was under a rock when he led the line for us in his first season here under LVG in 15/16?

As a 19/20 year old: 18 goals/11 assists in 4663 mins = g/a every 160 mins. Those are very good stats for a young striker in his first season at a new club.

Compare various forwards at that stage of their career and i'm sure you will struggle to find many with better stats than that.

After that Mourinho came in & since then, he's been shunted out wide, heavily stalling his development.

To say he wouldn't be valued anywhere else is rubbish really. Funny you mention Deschamps, he gave him his debut in 2015. Going to Euro 2016, he was regularly with the French national team until Mourinho.

He has all the qualities you want in a striker; finishing, dribbling, first touch, are all immaculate. He's also not selfish, he has no problem making the right decision creating for others.

This club is made on putting faith in young talents, creating stars. Is he the finished article yet? No but given a proper platform to develop, imo he has all the tools to be a top forward in the near future.

Last edited:

Lynty

But I am sure you did?
Yes, I saw it and had to swallow my words on multiple occasions whilst he under performed or spent weeks on the bench. So im perfectly entitled to feel smug - it doesn't happen often.

And I might yet have to swallow my words again. But at least I'm not sitting on the fence.

romufc

Yes, I saw it and had to swallow my words on multiple occasions whilst he under performed or spent weeks on the bench. So im perfectly entitled to feel smug - it doesn't happen often.

And I might yet have to swallow my words again. But at least I'm not sitting on the fence.
Fair enough. But giving a player 2/3 games the CF role and hoping he performs wonders is not realistic. Especially when you know the manager doesnt back you there.

The difference is Ole is actually backing Martial and Rashford for a season, it is up to them to show what they can do.

If they fail, No one can blame Ole for trying this.

TRUERED89

What a load of nonsense. Why are you choosing to ignore him literally scoring vs all the top teams in the league in recent years?

Guessing you was under a rock when he led the line for us in his first season here under LVG in 15/16?

As a 19/20 year old: 18 goals/11 assists in 4663 mins = g/a every 160 mins. Those are very good stats for a young striker in his first season at a new club.

Compare various forwards at that stage of their career and i'm sure you will struggle to find many with better stats than that.

After that Mourinho came in & since then, he's been shunted out wide, heavily stalling his development.

To say he wouldn't be valued anywhere else is rubbish really. Funny you mention Deschamps, he gave him his debut in 2015. Going to Euro 2016, he was regularly with the French national team until Mourinho.

He has all the qualities you want in a striker; finishing, dribbling, first touch, are all immaculate. He's also not selfish, he has no problem making the right decision creating for others.

This club is made on putting faith in young talents, creating stars. Is he the finished article yet? No but given a proper platform to develop, imo he has all the tools to be a top forward in the near future.
:lol: Exactly this! What a ridiculous post that was you responded to. His debut against Liverpool alone will forever be with me! What a moment that was. Excellent player who was shunted all over the place by LVG and still registered 18 goals, then comes the 'Special Needs One' who dropped him for the Chilean tosser and the lad still has 53 odd goals for us! The OP guy must have been under a rock because he obviously doesn't watch many games.

Status
Not open for further replies.