Martial is our most important player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasolin

Funny, I thought he was very good with his press against City throughout the game and was linking up well with teammates, especially Bruno. Made more effort to get into the box as well, and he knew he was going to hurt himself when he threw himself at the Ederson blunder. Everything Ole wants from his center forward.
Yeah I remember now Ole saying he wants striker to want to score a goal at all cost. I think Martial has changed mentally and this is thanks to Ole undoubtedly. Very proud of that change. We are soon going to get a team of fighters and warriors. We bring in creativity now in addition to Bruno and who knows? We are going to look very special very soon guys.

TRUERED89

Martial has something like 8 goals in his last 10 starts against top 6 teams while Rashford has 6 goals in 6 games against them this season yet you read nonsenses about them not doing it against the big teams.

And meanwhile claiming that James who hasn't recorded an assist or goal since November to be more important than those 2.

Honestly certain claims should be ban worthy.
Honestly, I’m actually speechless.

Steven-UK

Can’t believe what I’m reading here, do you even watch us ?. I think you need to check Martial and Rashford’s record against the top 6, particularly Rashford!!
You do realise that post was made months ago when James was much more effective... :rolleyes:

Martial is our most efficient player. Bruno might challenge him, but only time will tell.
Oh dear, another knee-jerk fan. Read the comments on the match day thread before he scored the goal in the derby...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You do realise that post was made months ago when James was much more effective... :rolleyes:

Oh dear, another knee-jerk fan. Read the comments on the match day thread before he scored the goal in the derby...
Why not read the comments after the match like a sensible person would?!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He’s been missed since much during his suspension

no chance we fail to score a goal against Chelsea or Arsenal if he’s in the XI.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Should start Wednesday up top & start there for every foreseeable game in the future. If he needs a rest, start Cavani.

KennyBurner

No martial and no quality against Deep blocks it seems. The ball can never stick upfront when there is no martial.

Martial is the most important player in attacking sense Bruno is as important in getting the ball forward.
People will say Rashford is, Rashford is important but without Martial it ain't working for Rashford.
Without Rashford it's still working for Martial though.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
No martial and no quality against Deep blocks it seems. The ball can never stick upfront when there is no martial.
Jesus christ. Martial's fanboys strike again. He wouldn't mean a major difference today. It was clear that we need more urgency all over the pitch and move the ball faster. How we set up is why we have lost today. We dont seem to know how to press and how to cope with press. That is pretty tragic after all these years. Outplayed by Arsenal at home by Arteta.

MattofManchester

Martial becomes fairly anonymous in these types of games. We sat deep and defended and he'd have been largely invisible.

We had no passes going beyond Fred and McTominay before we were back defending again.

How would Martial have solved that?

Morpheus 7

Martial has been shit this season, Martial FC needs to pipe down. No one player fixes the tactical mess of the team today.

lsd

The Oracle
If by most important you mean slow, lazy and inconsistent then yes

Lentwood

He’s one of our most important players, more by default really than outstanding talent, because I have believed for a long time he is the only player we have capable of doing a passable interpretation of a CF

We saw today that Rashford and Greenwood can’t play as CFs. Neither wants to receive the ball back to goal and neither can effectively hold the ball up and bring others into play.

Martial isn’t really a CF either for me but he can at least play the position to a certain extent

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Don't think the lack of Martial was the problem in and of itself - your issue was a total lack of options in the final third for Bruno. If he's behind two centre forwards who will always tend to make the same types of runs, he's significantly less effective because the space the defense has to worry about is vastly reduced. Martial isn't especially adept at peeling wide per se, but his presence would allow for Rashford to take up more dangerous wide positions so I'd not argue it didn't have an impact.

The broader point though is that against any 3 man defense, the key zone to attack is the area behind the wing back so as to pull a CB out wide. Given that Arsenal are playing Tierney at LCB and that he's comfortable in 1v1 situations, it's obvious that the opposite flank should be the focus. Playing Rashford and Greenwood as CFs together just makes it easy for Arsenal's defense - both of them stay centrally and thus are outnumbered more often than not. It really should have been a 4-3-3 with Cavani up top - allowing Rashford to attack Holding 1v1 would have been far more profitable I'd wage.

Status
Not open for further replies.