Martial / joined Sevilla on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

dove

Romano said 6m Euro's is the fee to cover his wages over 6 months. That's 230k Euro's a week over 26 weeks. If he took a pay cut then what the feck was he on before that?
He said €6m is the cost of the entire package which is wages + some loan fee.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Maybe that Sevilla or another club might want to buy him after an impressive loan spell maybe??

Stands to reason that he wants out, but won't get game time here, so send him elsewhere til the end of the season before hopefully getting some money for him in the summer.

Don't see any downside to it really unless he doesn't play well of course!
As others have said…

he goes over there for the remainder of the season, does well and he puts himself in the window and we might get decent money for him.

he stays here and does nothing, we might not find a buyer but instead have a sulking player around the squad

So you don’t want to send aplayer out on loan, with his new club paying all his wages, where he might do well and thus be able to get some decent money for him come summer?

Instead united pay his wages, he rots in reserves and the club struggle to shift him come summer

that makes zero sense but each to their own I guess
He's spent few years here, his teammates like him, it's literally the best surrounding he can get, and his problem has always been his lack of effort, so I really doubt going to Sevilla will help him a lot. He is not a kid anymore.

His problem has always been mentally, and his lack of effort, I don't see how letting him go far away where we won't have any control over him will make him better player.

Give me one example where well run club lets player under their contract in similar situation go on a loan?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Wait, we are loaning 26 year old who has couple of years left on his contract to Spain? We are laughable. :lol:

What exactly do we think it will happen once he is back? That he will be reincarnation of CR7 on top of his game?
World cup year, best moment for him to play regularly and as a result, spark interest for the summer.

POF

He was fkd over by playing as a striker when he is a LW. He actually did ok there. Better than Rashford did but he is still a LW. People seem to conveniently forget this. His stats are similar to Rashford but Rashford is a God and Martial is useless. Go figure. And people saying he doesnt work hard makes no sense because all of our front players are not hard working players. Ok he had a hard time of it last year due to injuries and other whatever other reasons. But he is still a class player and very different to the options we have left i.e. the cut inside and shoot players we now are left with.

I actually respect his decision to leave more than Lingard or Pogba. Those guys are just sitting out their contracts to leave for a free. Martial just wants games do he can go to the world cup. He's not trying to fk us over like those two. Good luck to him. I think he will tear up it up for Sevilla.
I completely disagree with that first line. Martial's 2019/20 season when he played up front was his best at the club by a long way. He looked a genuine quality player for a consistent period of time for the first time in his career.

Ole did an absolutely magnificent job with him and it looked like United had struck gold.

But then the 2020/21 season happened. He started poorly, got sent off vs Spurs and his head dropped. His confidence went and he was back to being the frustrating wasted talent he was prior to 2019/20.

He's a fantastic talent but you can't be such a fragile character at a club like United. No matter how well he plays, you always feel he's only a set back away from being a shell of his true ability.

Best case is he has a fantastic spell at Sevilla and gets a big money move somewhere.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The only question is why don’t we sell players?

Rather than that, it is of course a good thing that Martial leaves - there is no point to pay high wages to anyone who plays (off the bench) once a month.
Because the money we’d want for him doesn’t correspond with his current form, and the type of sides interested in him (I.E. Sevilla) cannot afford the full package of his wage + a transfer fee.

The point of this loan is to prep him for a summer sale by giving him game time. If he can get around 7-12 G/A’s in the last 16 games for Sevilla, suddenly, say ~20-30m doesn’t seem like a completely outlandish sum to request.

SATA

The arrival of Zlatan probably wrecked him a little and that jersey number changing thing. That said, he’s such a meek character when someone comes in and challenges his spot

Crick

He thinks he's a 9 and he isn't. He's an 11 and he doesn't want to be. It's stalled his career. He has to go because of this as we need 9 to replace Cavani and he can't do it. He's an added extra, a luxury on a high wage we just don't need. Hopefully he will play really well for Sevilla and we will get a good fee in the summer to put towards Cavani's replacement. Maybe it's a sign that RR's sensible squad building advice is starting to be heard.

We need an rvn

He's spent few years here, his teammates like him, it's literally the best surrounding he can get, and his problem has always been his lack of effort, so I really doubt going to Sevilla will help him a lot. He is not a kid anymore.

His problem has always been mentally, and his lack of effort, I don't see how letting him go far away where we won't have any control over him will make him better player.

Give me one example where well run club lets player under their contract in similar situation go on a loan?
You hit the nail on the head...we are not well run :lol:

But there were some big deals of top players on contract going on loan. Tevez came to us on an initial loan deal, Courtois from Chelsea to Madrid was also an initial loan. Both wanting a change and not getting game time...

Bennie Blanco

Good luck Anthony. I hate the idea we lose any of our young forwards to have Ronaldo and Cavani for a year, I hope he does well and returns.
We can't rely on him to perform consistently over a season. He has proved that in the 7 years he's been with us. Why on earth would you like him to return based on what I just said?

I sometimes think that fans don't want us to return to the top.

He's been deemed not good enough to play for this club. The odd good game every now and then doesn't change that.

Son

You can say that about every single young player over the last decade. You could post this message in any of the Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho threads and it would not look out of place at all. At some point we will need to accept that these kids have been poorly managed and severely let down by our management.
Martial just isn’t that good. That was always his problem. At least he looks like a £40 million player but some of our fans wanted him to be a superstar 100m player. That was never gonna happen.

He lives on moments but unlike Ronaldo his football IQ just isn’t there and you can’t teach that really despite blaming our managers.

Mourinho is one of the GOAT’s he knows how to train top players. I trust his judgement on Martial completely. Hazard won the POTY award under Mou for example yet he wanted Martial gone.

Judas

Open to offers
People still being baffled as to why he's going on loan instead of being sold, especially in this current window and after how he's playing just aren't really paying attention or just want another reason to get angry at the club.

Steve Bruce

I'm sorry to see him go in the sense of the potential of what he could have been for United but I feel he never had the mentality to be an United player.

Whenever he gets new competition he sinks back into his shell, it's happened when we brought Zlatan to the club and Cavani.

I hope he does well, but his race at United has been run.

Now onto getting more players out the door. To be honest there's few I'd lose sleep over if they left. The mentality of this squad is all over the place.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Is he going to have another chance under the next manager? By the start of next season Cavani will be 35 and Ronaldo will be 37. Maybe it depends what happens with Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford? That's a pretty strong front three if it clicks tbh.
I hope not, he's had plenty already, enough is enough.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
A great talent. Strange that he makes an impact on Saturday and is immediately gone. I fear we are currently using too many players who are incapable of making an impact regularly

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ultimately he just isn't all that good a footballer, despite whatever talent people thought he had. I'm sure he'll end up at a decent level wherever he moves to permanently but at 26 years old and after 268 appearances, he is what he is.

UncleBob

Mourinho is one of the GOAT’s he knows how to train top players. I trust his judgement on Martial completely. Hazard won the POTY award under Mou for example yet he wanted Martial gone.
Of all the arguments to use :lol:
This is the same Mourinho that was desperate to sign Sanchez, which completely derailed the performances of Rashford and Martial that season. The same Mourinho that was happy to see Salah and De Bruyne feck off from his Chelsea side.

Revaulx

I completely disagree with that first line. Martial's 2019/20 season when he played up front was his best at the club by a long way. He looked a genuine quality player for a consistent period of time for the first time in his career.

Ole did an absolutely magnificent job with him and it looked like United had struck gold.

But then the 2020/21 season happened. He started poorly, got sent off vs Spurs and his head dropped. His confidence went and he was back to being the frustrating wasted talent he was prior to 2019/20.

He's a fantastic talent but you can't be such a fragile character at a club like United. No matter how well he plays, you always feel he's only a set back away from being a shell of his true ability.

Best case is he has a fantastic spell at Sevilla and gets a big money move somewhere.
He looked a genuine quality player for the first half of the season he arrived.

As far as I can remember, he was playing up front then as well. His form dipped when he was moved to the left on Rooney’s return.

He had plenty of good games on the left under Jose, so it’s not like he’s incapable of doing well there.

I certainly think he could have been better managed at United; like Shaw, he’s a high maintenance player who needs regular doses of both arm-round-shoulder and kick-up-backside. But you’re right: he’s just not tough enough to perform consistently at United.

Revaulx

Of all the arguments to use :lol:
This is the same Mourinho that was desperate to sign Sanchez, which completely derailed the performances of Rashford and Martial that season. The same Mourinho that was happy to see Salah and De Bruyne feck off from his Chelsea side.
Yeah we should have kept faith with Jose and fully backed him. His stellar managerial career since leaving us proves how stupid we were.

Oh wait…

mctrials23

Imagine if it was him who scored the winner rather than Rashford.
What would that have done...

Martial has scored a lot of goals during his time at United, that doesn't take away from the core problem that means he should be moved on. Rashford needs to pick himself up as well over the rest of the season or the discussion on him being moved on will be had as well. You can't have players on north of £200k/week that are not putting in 7/10 performances most weeks.

I thought Martial was great when he came on but I have seen him do this so many times over the years, get a run in the team and just drift away again. He puts in a match winning performance, gets a few starts and is completely anonymous and sulks around the pitch until he is benched again.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The arrival of Zlatan probably wrecked him a little and that jersey number changing thing. That said, he’s such a meek character when someone comes in and challenges his spot
He’s never really been the same since that little spat

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He was fkd over by playing as a striker when he is a LW. He actually did ok there. Better than Rashford did but he is still a LW. People seem to conveniently forget this. His stats are similar to Rashford but Rashford is a God and Martial is useless. Go figure. And people saying he doesnt work hard makes no sense because all of our front players are not hard working players. Ok he had a hard time of it last year due to injuries and other whatever other reasons. But he is still a class player and very different to the options we have left i.e. the cut inside and shoot players we now are left with.

I actually respect his decision to leave more than Lingard or Pogba. Those guys are just sitting out their contracts to leave for a free. Martial just wants games do he can go to the world cup. He's not trying to fk us over like those two. Good luck to him. I think he will tear up it up for Sevilla.
How dare you try and back one of our players up with a bit of logic and reasoning!

Totally agree with you by the way on every point

Alemar

Because the money we’d want for him doesn’t correspond with his current form
Provided that is exactly the same situation with EVERY sale attempt on our behalf, it just means that our valuations are way off the mark

JPOR

Reading through the thread and I don't understand how people are baffled by the loan or criticising the club for it. It's easy to understand.

1) He's been absolutely gash for ages, meaning no club is (reasonably) going to spend the type of cash we'd want for him in the current economic climate. As such, going on loan to a team where he may perform for the next 5/6 months rather than sitting on the bench makes perfect sense as it gives him an opportunity to sell himself.

2) which club do you think is actually going to spend the cash on him at present? Barca are skint, Real/Bayern/PSG etc aren't interested, Juve are acting like paupers wanting to take him on loan, and any other club will simply put in low-ball offers. Who exactly are we meant to sell him to?

UpWithRivers

Martials stats are alarmingly similar to Rashford apart from last season. 2019/20 was their best year in terms of output. Prior to that Rashford and Martial goals/assists ratio was very close. If you can say Martial is a shell of a player he was in 2019 then the same can be said of Rashford. With Rashfords form this year you can also say he's always one setback from his true ability. The truth is United have been sht for years. Name a player that has been consistent? No one. Not even De Gea who had a bad season. You cant single out one player for being weak and inconsistent when its all of them!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Saul Niguez at Chelsea,
Batshuayi from Chelsea,
Guendouzi at Arsenal

We saw it with lingard here too.

Probably a fair few in Spain and Italy I'd imagine too.

Happens pretty frequently.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Honestly a change of scene could do him some good.

He's been stuck in the United bubble for a few years now. We saw with Lingard that something different could reignite his fire.

He's still a good player, just needs to find consistency and maybe a joy of playing again.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I see some are saying the season at CF fcuked him. I agree but not in the way suggested. I think after that he himself considers himself a CF not a LW. Not the only reason of course. Lack of effort seen way too often. He has the undoubted talent but needs to apply it consistently. I hope the loan helps him sort his head out and he makes a success off it. I think his time at United is done but a nice few for a rejuvenated player would be nice.

on a seperate note, I think he would have suited arsenal perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.