Martial / joined Sevilla on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It's really a no-brainer of a decision, for all parties involved

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Hopefully has a good 2nd half to the season and we can profit off the back of it.

Some very good spells here but ultimately not good enough for United.

Matt851

He has 5 months to potentially experience winning a league title, something most of this squad can only dream of right now.

It's a win win imo: if he gets a regular spot, plays well then he comes back to the club with a new permanent manager, and could have the fire again to play for us. If he doesn't, plays poorly then we offload in the summer and find a replacement.
Loaning him in the hope he recovers some of his value is our best option at the moemnt. If he is shit though we won't be able to sell him in summer unless we accept a low fee and cover part of his wages.

UpWithRivers

I see some are saying the season at CF fcuked him. I agree but not in the way suggested. I think after that he himself considers himself a CF not a LW. Not the only reason of course. Lack of effort seen way too often. He has the undoubted talent but needs to apply it consistently. I hope the loan helps him sort his head out and he makes a success off it. I think his time at United is done but a nice few for a rejuvenated player would be nice.

on a seperate note, I think he would have suited arsenal perfectly
Totally agree with the fact that he thinks he's a CF now but as I said in an earlier post name a player that has been consistent for us? No one. So either they are all sht and inconsistent or the club has fkd them over with playing them out of position, changing managers, poor tactics etc.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Very good. Long overdue. Can't keep relying on moody overpaid players and hope they can be bothered to show up.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No fee but £4m in wages according to the the Athletic. Great deal for Sevilla that. We paid more for Ighalo!

Zoo

The emergence of Elanga makes this easy to accept. Good luck to Martial anyway.

90 + 5min

I wish him luck and lot of goals in Sevilla so we can sell him in the summer.

Started brilliantly but lacked character and wasn't one that worked his socks off for the team. As a manager you can't wait forever for someone to blossom.

Best for everyone.

A move is best for everybody. I have never thought he was uninterested or lazy, I thought he was the type of player who could never figure out why certain games didn't go his way. Both mean that he's not going to succeed in a big club like this. Sevilla and Spain will be perfect for him.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I can't think of a single reason why Ralf would lie about this? What does he gain from it? He didn't cause the issues we have.

I think it's about time his fans accept the situation. He's a gutless coward and a real sulk.
Getting rid of a player he doesn’t rate, thus freeing up salary space in order to bring in a player he himself wants? Rangnick has a massive reason to lie about it.

So relax a bit.

redIndianDevil

there is still a tiny part of me that hopes he does very well at Sevilla and comes back to do well for us. I've always liked his control and always considered his link up play as top notch. It's a shame that we got him during such a period of instability in our management.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Martial leaving Man Utd is best for both sides, it'll be for the best if he doesn't come back after the loan.

Sometimes you just need a fresh start. I think that's where Martial had gotten to. I don't think he will ever be a striker for English football. Too much off the ball running, particularly in the box, is required for that. However, maybe in Spain where they cross the ball less and play more ball to feet he'll find a style of football that suits his strengths.

I hope he does well enough to make Sevilla, or someone else, come in for him with a permanent offer in the summer.

OmarUnited4ever

No fee but £4m in wages according to the the Athletic. Great deal for Sevilla that. We paid more for Ighalo!

The quotes from that article in the Athletic: -

There will be no fee, but Sevilla will cover the Frenchman's wages. The deal is subject to Martial completing a medical.

Talks have remained ongoing with Sevilla however, and a breakthrough came when the loan fee was incorporated into Martial’s wages, which Sevilla are covering in full.”
So basically the club gave up a loan fee so Seville can pay Martial's wages in full

choccy77

It always amazes me when players' complain about having no game time and that they want to leave and then clubs come in and offer lower wages and the players refuse to budge.

So is it really about game time or is it you have an easy life making millions doing nothing.

So i'm glad he has accepted lower wages in order to get some actual game time and will be interesting to see what happens for remainder of this season.

Revaulx

A move is best for everybody. I have never thought he was uninterested or lazy, I thought he was the type of player who could never figure out why certain games didn't go his way. Both mean that he's not going to succeed in a big club like this. Sevilla and Spain will be perfect for him.
That’s an interesting take, and I’m sure there’s something in it.

I’m not sure why either or both won’t continue to be issues for him in Spain though. La Liga is less physical for sure, but if what you say is correct physicality isn’t the problem.

OmarUnited4ever

It always amazes me when players' complain about having no game time and that they want to leave and then clubs come in and offer lower wages and the players refuse to budge.

So is it really about game time or is it you have an easy life making millions doing nothing.

So i'm glad he has accepted lower wages in order to get some actual game time and will be interesting to see what happens for remainder of this season.

I actually get why Martial didn't budge on lowering his wages, he knows he has no future at the club, probably the club will sanction a sale in the summer, and no other club will match his current wages here, so, maybe the club compromised where Martial promised to leave permanently if a good offer came to the club and probably accept a lower wages somewhere else where he will get game time.

Frank White

He was fkd over by playing as a striker when he is a LW. He actually did ok there. Better than Rashford did but he is still a LW. People seem to conveniently forget this. His stats are similar to Rashford but Rashford is a God and Martial is useless. Go figure. And people saying he doesnt work hard makes no sense because all of our front players are not hard working players. Ok he had a hard time of it last year due to injuries and other whatever other reasons. But he is still a class player and very different to the options we have left i.e. the cut inside and shoot players we now are left with.

I actually respect his decision to leave more than Lingard or Pogba. Those guys are just sitting out their contracts to leave for a free. Martial just wants games do he can go to the world cup. He's not trying to fk us over like those two. Good luck to him. I think he will tear up it up for Sevilla.
Just no. Where is Rashford talked about "like a god" because it certainly isn't on here. If anything i would argue he's one of the most criticised players we have.

mctrials23

Try and think of this from his perspective. Of course he wants more game time but how much of a pay cut would you take to move jobs from somewhere that you weren't happy to potentially somewhere else that you might not be happy. What if it was a 30% pay cut? What if you move to your new club and still don't get the game time and your salary is now 30% lower.

I don't really blame any of our players for their salaries or contract situations. Thats entirely on the club. When they sign the contract it is one that both parties are happy with. There are potential downsides to both parties if things don't go well.

OL29

Just no. Where is Rashford talked about "like a god" because it certainly isn't on here. If anything i would argue he's one of the most criticised players we have.
Rashford definitely isn’t treated like a God but you do see it said quite regularly that he improved year on year since coming into the first team where as Martial has apparently been rubbish since his first season. That narrative is very weird when you look at their stats, they’ve both been wildly inconsistent while still being amongst our better performers post-Fergie.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Absolutely, I have to give him credit for that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What a waste. Always liked him as a player but the last few years have been a shambles. The Sanchez signing coupled with his seemingly weak attitude ruined him. It says a lot that the best we can get for him now is a fecking loan.

Born2Lose

26 already, what a wasted career.

Well done to the club for holding out and getting Sevilla to pay all the wages in the end.

RooneyLegend

Martial just isn’t that good. That was always his problem. At least he looks like a £40 million player but some of our fans wanted him to be a superstar 100m player. That was never gonna happen.

He lives on moments but unlike Ronaldo his football IQ just isn’t there and you can’t teach that really despite blaming our managers.

Mourinho is one of the GOAT’s he knows how to train top players. I trust his judgement on Martial completely. Hazard won the POTY award under Mou for example yet he wanted Martial gone.
Did you trust his judgement on De Bruyne and Salah as well?

L1nk

If that's honestly the wage we are paying him, we are the dumbest club on the planet

RooneyLegend

Great move, we'll allow him to push for a world cup spot which is what this move is really about and he'll come back when we have a proper coach in place.

JohnnyKills

I completely disagree with that first line. Martial's 2019/20 season when he played up front was his best at the club by a long way. He looked a genuine quality player for a consistent period of time for the first time in his career.

Ole did an absolutely magnificent job with him and it looked like United had struck gold.

But then the 2020/21 season happened. He started poorly, got sent off vs Spurs and his head dropped. His confidence went and he was back to being the frustrating wasted talent he was prior to 2019/20.

He's a fantastic talent but you can't be such a fragile character at a club like United. No matter how well he plays, you always feel he's only a set back away from being a shell of his true ability.

Best case is he has a fantastic spell at Sevilla and gets a big money move somewhere.
Great post. Sticks out a mile amidst all the weird abuse.

His biggest problem isn't the laziness, it's the fragility. The lack of effort, bad body language etc is a by-product of his fundamental lack of confidence IMO.

Also, the abuse he gets from fans online (versus the worship of Cavani, who's scored the grand total of 12 goals in a season and a half) probably doesn't help. Although tbh he'd probably be flaky wherever he want, and however the fans treated him.

Sevilla sounds like a great fit.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Superb news. Checked IG a few hours ago and saw Romano's tweet. Very happy for the club getting rid of his monster wages and Martial has now a final chance to prove himself as a footballer. If he fails, then summer attracts interest of mid-table clubs, tops. Tbh cannot understand why Juve would be interested in him, he has too weak mentality for it. Any top club would seriously be concerned in his motivation and mentality, I think he'd be best for clubs where the expectations and competiton are not that high.

Next loan for VDB please : )

AngliaRed

The exact sort of lazy player Roy Keane meant when he said “ this bunch of players will
throw any manager under the bus” a few seasons ago.

Should of gone 2 years ago.

Hopefully he does well and we can some decent
money for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.