Martial / joined Sevilla on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCurry

Could never really warm to him. So much talent and feck all application to go with it.
You can say that about every single young player over the last decade. You could post this message in any of the Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho threads and it would not look out of place at all. At some point we will need to accept that these kids have been poorly managed and severely let down by our management.

RedDevil@84

What's the overall thoughts on his time at United? He had a pretty good year or two at one point I think? The 19/20 season shows that he picked up 23 goals in 48 games which is impressive. Seems like he hasn't really been the player many hoped he would be though.
Simply doesn't care enough. Too laid back. No fight in him.
He had a good start. but fizzled out way too fast. It always seems like something or other bugs him. The 19/20 season seems more like an aberration than normal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
None of our strikers have hold up play like Martial. Shame he didn't kick on after his very good 2019-20 season.

Hopefully he will win La Liga with Sevilla and comes back as better player.

kundalini

What's the overall thoughts on his time at United? He had a pretty good year or two at one point I think? The 19/20 season shows that he picked up 23 goals in 48 games which is impressive. Seems like he hasn't really been the player many hoped he would be though.
His (non-penalty) goals + assists per 90 mins in the PL was good until last season. Under Mourinho, he was playing 1500 - 1600 PL mins per season; easy to blame the manager. First full season under Solskjaer looked to be progressing towards becoming an elite player, then shocking last season. After such a disappointing season, you'd expect to have to fight for your place in the team; Martial didn't want to.

Talented player. Good at linking the play. Poor movement in the penalty area. Minimal defensive effort. Great dribbler. Finishing excellent apart from nightmare last season. Distance covered stats alarming.

6 goals + 4 assists in 22 CL starts.

https://understat.com/player/553

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anthony-martial/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/182877/verein/985

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

It's a bit Black and white to say he has no fight in him, as he matured over the years. Never really reached his potential here. An old Cavani was brought in (for good reasons) and it meant Martial faded more.

We could never really rely on Martial. Great player on his day, but you cant go missing for a whole match playing for Manchester United. That just happened way too often when he got the chance.

Thanks for the goals and service though. Well wishes, Im sure he'll thrive in a less physical league

R'hllor

Damn, some of you really cant stand this guy eh, not surprising, a while back him having a kid was a big issue for you. If he does good, Sevilla will benefit mostly and maybe us for potential transfer

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Wait, we are loaning 26 year old who has couple of years left on his contract to Spain? We are laughable. :lol:

What exactly do we think it will happen once he is back? That he will be reincarnation of CR7 on top of his game?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Wait, we are loaning 26 year old who has couple of years left on his contract to Spain? We are laughable. :lol:

What exactly do we think it will happen once he is back? That he will be reincarnation of CR7 on top of his game?
How are we going to find suitable buyers if he never plays? This is putting him in the shopping window more than anything else

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Maybe that Sevilla or another club might want to buy him after an impressive loan spell maybe??

Stands to reason that he wants out, but won't get game time here, so send him elsewhere til the end of the season before hopefully getting some money for him in the summer.

Don't see any downside to it really unless he doesn't play well of course!

OmarUnited4ever

Hopefully he does well there and we get a 30-40 millions for him in the summer.

Seville is 4 point from Real Madrid at 2nd spot, they are competing for La Liga title this year, the other big 2 are kinda out of it this year, Atletico is 14-pts off, Barca is 15-pts off from the the top.

If he scores around 10+ goals and contributes to them winning the league or getting 2nd, then we can certainly either get a fee from Seville, or shop him in the summer window, there will definitely be plenty of takers who will stump at least 35+ if not more.

Devil81

Do you really need it explaining to you? Seriously!?
Mate it's a post on a football forum, why are you reacting to it like a frustrated women.

I know full well but I'd rather a bad apple rot in our reserves then get what he wants but still be on the books.

This is where football has gone wrong, players control their own situation.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Mate it's a post on a football forum, why are you reacting to it like a frustrated women.

I know full well but I'd rather a bad apple rot in our reserves then get what he wants but still be on the books.

Well done

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
It's a bit Black and white to say he has no fight in him, as he matured over the years. Never really reached his potential here. An old Cavani was brought in (for good reasons) and it meant Martial faded more.

We could never really rely on Martial. Great player on his day, but you cant go missing for a whole match playing for Manchester United. That just happened way too often when he got the chance.

Thanks for the goals and service though. Well wishes, Im sure he'll thrive in a less physical league
Sums it up perfectly!

Castia

Was a very good player when he wanted to be. The problem is he came across like he cba a lot of the time.

I hope he does well and we can get a decent fee in the summer.

Red_Aaron

When he was flying he was brilliant
When he wasn't he was practically anonymous.

When you really needed him, generally speaking he'd let you down

Shame as I liked him a lot and seemed someone who struggled with confidence a lot of the time. If he could've found that mental strength he really could've gone to the very top

Wish him the best

padzilla

Hipster
Hopefully he does well there and we get a 30-40 millions for him in the summer.

Seville is 4 point from Real Madrid at 2nd spot, they are competing for La Liga title this year, the other big 2 are kinda out of it this year, Atletico is 14-pts off, Barca is 15-pts off from the the top.

If he scores around 10+ goals and contributes to them winning the league or getting 2nd, then we can certainly either get a fee from Seville, or shop him in the summer window, there will definitely be plenty of takers who will stump at least 35+ if not more.
Knowing us he will tear it up at Sevilla, we'll recall him from his loan not play him and let him leave for free.

Alemar

The only question is why don’t we sell players?

Rather than that, it is of course a good thing that Martial leaves - there is no point to pay high wages to anyone who plays (off the bench) once a month.

minoo-utd

Maybe he will have a big impact with Sevilla as they still in title race and then our next permanent manager would love to take him back, no?

dinostar77

He'll do a lingaard at west ham, come back. We will be unrealistic with a fee and he will be stuck on the fringes of the first team squad ala lingaard and eventually leave on a free.

Anyway best of luck to him, hopefully sevilla can teach him how play as a proper no9 as he hasnt a clue. Thats if they dont play him on the wing (his best position).

Ixion

Good luck Anthony. I hate the idea we lose any of our young forwards to have Ronaldo and Cavani for a year, I hope he does well and returns.

We need an rvn

As others have said…

he goes over there for the remainder of the season, does well and he puts himself in the window and we might get decent money for him.

he stays here and does nothing, we might not find a buyer but instead have a sulking player around the squad

So you don’t want to send aplayer out on loan, with his new club paying all his wages, where he might do well and thus be able to get some decent money for him come summer?

Instead united pay his wages, he rots in reserves and the club struggle to shift him come summer

that makes zero sense but each to their own I guess

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Good luck Anthony. I hate the idea we lose any of our young forwards to have Ronaldo and Cavani for a year, I hope he does well and returns.
Martial is 26, he's not young anymore

dinostar77

We seem to be making some progress behind the scenes with us not paying any of his wages for this loan. Baby steps.
BBC said martial has taken a paycut while at sevilla to get the move done. Utd arent paying any wages while he is on loan. No mention of a loan fee unless i missed it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The point is he is chronically inconsistent and has been shite for the last 18 months. So citing stats from when he was last good is quite irrelevant
That and Ronaldo has 14 goals and 3 assists from 24 games in what has been a pretty poor season...

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The only question is why don’t we sell players?

Rather than that, it is of course a good thing that Martial leaves - there is no point to pay high wages to anyone who plays (off the bench) once a month.
We don't sell because we probably ask big money for underperforming players on high wages which previously were bought for tens of millions. This is our transfer policy nowadays.
We could of sold Lingard, we didn't, could of sold Pogba we didn't, we are losing them both on a free in the summer.
At least with Martial, if he does good in Spain and I think he will, we can get something.

Classical Mechanic

BBC said martial has taken a paycut while at sevilla to get the move done. Utd arent paying any wages while he is on loan. No mention of a loan fee unless i missed it.
I doubt we'll get a loan fee, just his £4m or so wages off the books which was dead money given he'd downed tools. Since Fergie left we ended up paying part wages for some loanees to play for other clubs. We've taken a tougher stance on Martial here which is progress of a sort.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
You can say that about every single young player over the last decade. You could post this message in any of the Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho threads and it would not look out of place at all. At some point we will need to accept that these kids have been poorly managed and severely let down by our management.
You missed United in your first sentence but otherwise, I agree.

UpWithRivers

He was fkd over by playing as a striker when he is a LW. He actually did ok there. Better than Rashford did but he is still a LW. People seem to conveniently forget this. His stats are similar to Rashford but Rashford is a God and Martial is useless. Go figure. And people saying he doesnt work hard makes no sense because all of our front players are not hard working players. Ok he had a hard time of it last year due to injuries and other whatever other reasons. But he is still a class player and very different to the options we have left i.e. the cut inside and shoot players we now are left with.

I actually respect his decision to leave more than Lingard or Pogba. Those guys are just sitting out their contracts to leave for a free. Martial just wants games do he can go to the world cup. He's not trying to fk us over like those two. Good luck to him. I think he will tear up it up for Sevilla.

Caesar2290

I feel sick. Another 6 months with 36 year old ronaldo doing feck all. Greenwood needs to rise to the occasion and be our main striker.
:lol:

Martial FC is something else. They make Arsenal fans and the dippers seem reasonable.

Feck all? The man is the reason we progressed past the group stage in the CL. Remind me again where was Martial just 1 year ago in the same group stages under Ole?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He has 5 months to potentially experience winning a league title, something most of this squad can only dream of right now.

It's a win win imo: if he gets a regular spot, plays well then he comes back to the club with a new permanent manager, and could have the fire again to play for us. If he doesn't, plays poorly then we offload in the summer and find a replacement.

crossy1686

career ending
Romano said 6m Euro's is the fee to cover his wages over 6 months. That's 230k Euro's a week over 26 weeks. If he took a pay cut then what the feck was he on before that?

Status
Not open for further replies.