Martial - One of the hardest working players at the Club

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ever since Gegenpressing came along it seems that hard work can be only be analysed by how forward you press. Absolute rubbish.

This kid is making runs deep as CDM near his own box to recieve the ball to his feet to start an attack because he is one of the best passers in the whole squad before he makes a run to the the other end of the box.

He tends to not get in to the box not because he is lazy but because he is a deep lying forward who needs two wider forwards like Rashford & Greenwood in partnership in front of him to work.

The guy is making runs left and right & he is even pressing the goal keeper. Making passes and runs absolutely everywhere.

The guy was always a deep lying forward false 9 who makes the forwards tick & playing wingers like James crossing in to the box does nothing for him.

Bring another forward for United's sake for being able to have a variety of gameplay - but don't you start thinking rubbish that martial is some useless player that does cr*p all for us.

OL29

I wouldn’t say he’s one of the hardest working but he’s not as lazy as people make out, he presses quite smartly rather than like a headless chicken.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It’s an anecdotal comment to make, there’s surely the stats available, KMs run, sprints etc?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I don’t think Martial is a useless player who does crap all for us. But I would be surprised if he was one of the harder working players in the team, I would put his efforts in some recent games as well below average

Rolaholic

It's a shame the narrative regarding a poor work rate persists even though he's shown to be quite the effective number 9 this season. Since he doesn't burst his lungs like Rashford,James and Lingard people like to claim that he's lazy but he's a bit more purposeful and calculated with his movement

His off the ball work and movement has been impressive to compliment what we all know he can do with the ball at his feet given his technical ability

I see why Ole was ok with binning Lukaku, Martial is a better fit for his type of squad

Josep Dowling

Seriously? Have you seen his running stats for last year?

Having one good game doesn’t change that. Reactionary thread.

Bebestation

It's a shame the narrative regarding a poor work rate persists even though he's shown to be quite the effective number 9 this season. Since he doesn't burst his lungs like Rashford,James and Lingard people like to claim that he's lazy but he's a bit more purposeful and calculated with his movement

His off the ball work and movement has been impressive to compliment what we all know he can do with the ball at his feet given his technical ability

I see why Ole was ok with binning Lukaku, Martial is a better fit for his type of squad
This is what I mean - Martial isn't exactly energetic like Rashford but being that deep lying forward who wants to play deep, get the ball to feet - make a pass and start and attack after holding on to the ball isn't exactly going to make the best fit with a Rashford type player either.

If he played like Rashford did - he wouldn't be able to be calm and collected to make our play tick. The fact is that people were expecting him to be our main goal scorer, when he shouldn't be - that should be the role of Rashford & Greenwood's whilst Martial makes the space for them.

Yet people seem to think all the holding on the ball, the positions he takes from deep midfield, the great first touches, the big bursting runs he makes after he makes a good cutting pass in to a players feet normally not to receive one back, the defensive work, the countless runs to channels, the numerous runs win the ball at his feet means that he is some sort of lazy & stagnant player like Berbatov was.

He is always a player that need the right players around him - as I say, playing James and whipping crosses in to the box & wondering why Martial isn't heading them isn't getting the best of either player.

I don't care that Martial won't ever win a Balon Dor & but United need a good collection of different type of strikers - we need a good robust and physical one but as a deep lying forward, I don't see why we should just sell Martial out for & limit our resources.

Bebestation

Seriously? Have you seen his running stats for last year?

Having one good game doesn’t change that. Reactionary thread.
Ahh running is the only way to see someone's hard work.

He doesn't run because he drops deep as CDM before making a run to the other side of the box mate. A reactionary thread indeed. Iv seen it enough now that you ain't changing it - it's the way he plays the game, he wants the ball to feet to start and attack before he makes a run & the attackers be around him - he is a support striker like Berbatov said :eek:

Web of Bissaka

Similar to Berba, Tony M n him worked hard in their own way. Calculated often usually casual style, in a not headless chicken or berserk way, which can be misunderstood easily as laziness.

I do agree the related stats doesn't tell the whole story.

That said, let's not pretend they don't have their lazy moments or when they made those half-hearted plays.

C'est Moi Cantona

I think with Martial the bar is set high, so anything below he is deemed as rubbish, if Lingard, James, Mata, etc, had done what he had done so far this season they'd be been applauded, but Martial is clearly so much better, so we always expect better, and are keen to beat him down if we don't get it.

Imo the better the team we get, the better he will be.

Dante

Average bang
:lol:

Straight out of the Donald Trump playbook.

State the exact opposite of reality, in the hope of undercutting deserved criticism.

Next thread: Lingard is the best finisher at the club.

Baneofthegame

He needs more consistency, if he played like today each week he’d be our 9 for the next 10 years.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
His all round play v Everton and Watford was actually pretty good, just annoying they're two sides he's got a great goal scoring record against and we really could have done with more of the same

Oh well

ash_86

Was impressed with his work rate. Good to see him take it seriously.

Andersonson

One tackle being made and people claiming he is a hard worker.

Look at the stats, distance covered or whatever, you'll see he aint a hard working forward.

Foxbatt

Just because he doesn't run like a headless chicken or waste his energy in making useless running makes him a smart football player.
You don't need to be doing a lot of running to be a good forward.

Dve

Marial is a bit on and off. In some matches, he actually is a bit lazy in his press. In other matches, like today, he´s not. A great player. But he is not great all the time.

criticalanalysis

Just because he doesn't run like a headless chicken or waste his energy in making useless running makes him a smart football player.
You don't need to be doing a lot of running to be a good forward.
Agreed on Martial being smart but disagree slightly on the 'lots of running'. Or rather I should say Martial should be making more and more smart runs, which he doesn't.

Although he's improved, he still wants the ball to feet too often. In today's game no complaints but against better teams or when we're poorly coached (i.e all year) he should make more runs off the ball and force the issue to get it played to him. Also and again, it's not entirely his fault because of the lack of service but he can be more predatory in the box with near/far post runs.

TrustInOle

Ahh running is the only way to see someone's hard work.

He doesn't run because he drops deep as CDM before making a run to the other side of the box mate. A reactionary thread indeed. Iv seen it enough now that you ain't changing it - it's the way he plays the game, he wants the ball to feet to start and attack before he makes a run & the attackers be around him - he is a support striker like Berbatov said :eek:
Spot on mate. People see stats and instantly use them as evidence to voice thier own conclusions without offering any context. Distance covered hardly matters if you are not accomplishing anything through it, ie Lingard, where as a lower distance with more calculated, reading of the game kinda of press, can be so much more effective, and tbh easier, than sprinting constantly and not being able to take in what opponents are doing around you.

You also make a fine point about his playmaking ability. How often would he get criticised when he played on the wing for not being selfish enough, or always trying to find a pass than shoot. His close control in brilliant, can turn fast, dribble directly towards a player and pick out a very good pass. The amount of times I see the ball being shot from deep in our team into Tony's feet and an attack commencing through him, happens far too often to be coincidental and also points as 1 example of the tactical vision Ole has for the Squad that some people are too blond or ignorant to see.

Martial was always a player who performs best with freedom to roam as a striker and no surprise he starts performing when given the chance again. Top thread pin pointing a common misconception, or just ignorance, from our fan base as per.

meamth

Is he the youngest main striker in the PL?

If he is, is he the best at his age bracket?

croadyman

Was pleased to see that MOTD highlighted how well he was pressing their defence tonight, hopefully we are going to see more of it because there is no doubt it forced Newcastle into the mistake leading to Mason's goal

freeurmind

weak willed
As Ole said in the presser, Martial will never be that run the channels type of forward. We need to get the ball into his feet and let him create space for others. If he keeps developping, he could be a Benzema type striker for us.

Footyislife

I don't think most of you understand what work rate is. Making long runs or tracking back isn't the only measure. If you watch him he constantly creates openings for us by running towards the ball to flick it or do a 1-2 that unlocks the defense. He sprinkles that with occasional runs forward and pressing hard when he smells the danger. That's what he's asked to do as a deep lying forward.

Statiscally, compared to the top of the table strikers has the least big chances missed and almost averages a goal or assist per PL match. Last time I checked that was pretty darn good.

redIndianDevil

I wouldn’t say he is the hardest working player but he isn’t as lazy as it’s made out to be either. Its true that our lack of genuine creative players makes him drop deeper than usual but I don’t think he is that comfortable as a pure striker or he needs more skills to be a pure striker.

Bebestation

Looks like the players & the manager sees what some of the fans don't see -

"The key is to give him the ball. He's not going to be the one who runs down the channels all day long," he said.

"We need to give him the ball and feed him. I think the boys have said that many times themselves. We need to feed Anthony more, play forward more and into the front men.

"Especially Anthony, it's important for him to touch the ball a lot then he feels in the game. Today was almost the same goal as he scored against [Manchester] City, down to the bottom with his left foot. It could have been his hat-trick."

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is very good player and our best CF. What he brings to the team, none of others in our squad can bring, like hold up, link up play. Playmaking from CF position but calling him hardest working player is straight from trump book. He is the least hard working player in this team.

It shouldn't be a problem, apart from Firmino CFs usually covers least distance.

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

What Ole said doesn’t mean he’s one of the most hard working players though, that just means he’s the most creative and the focal point of our attacking setup.

Ozil for instance used to be the go to guy in setting Madrid’s attack, yet hardworking can hardly ever be ascribed to him and he was subbed at 70min mark all the time gassed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hes our best forward IMO because he's got the ability to do the individual brilliant work to score and also create and be heavily involved in the buildup.

However he's not the most hardworking. I think his work rate right now is fine and the OP is right that people tend to only look at running stats whereas Martial often drops deep and into pockets of space to contribute. But I do think he can work on his intensity regardless.

InfiniteBoredom

Hes our best forward IMO because he's got the ability to do the individual brilliant work to score and also create and be heavily involved in the buildup.

However he's not the most hardworking. I think his work rate right now is fine and the OP is right that people tend to only look at running stats whereas Martial often drops deep and into pockets of space to contribute. But I do think he can work on his intensity regardless.
It’s about knowing when and where to exert your energy, which comes with game time and maturity. Van Basten for instance told Zlatan to ignore LvG’s instruction and save his energy on scoring goals. That extra bit left in the tank as the game goes late and defenders are exhausted can be invaluable.

That’s not to say he should be strolling around when not called upon. The best forwards are often popping in and out, deceiving their markers, taking up opportune positions. Knowing how to move is the key, not JLingz’s headless chicken impression.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It’s about knowing when and where to exert your energy, which comes with game time and maturity. Van Basten for instance told Zlatan to ignore LvG’s instruction and save his energy on scoring goals. That extra bit left in the tank as the game goes late and defenders are exhausted can be invaluable.

That’s not to say he should be strolling around when not called upon. The best forwards are often popping in and out, deceiving their markers, taking up opportune positions. Knowing how to move is the key, not JLingz’s headless chicken impression.
I agree. And I don't even expect Martial to expend his energy as Dirk Kuyt would. However I do think there are times when he meanders through games. Not that CFs aren't on periphery of games. Of course they are. But Martial can sometimes go into his shell and hence stop dribbling /running at people and being dynamic. He's got the natural ability to be a more influential player IMo than strikers who wait for the game to come to them.

Have to also add that he has upped his intensity this season. Hope he continued to develop in this regard.

oz insomniac

Really does anyone want a player that runs a lot, that describes Lingard to a tee. That's what he does, but rarely achieves anything, stats show he runs more than anyone, but doesn't score, create or defend. Gets booked a lot though!

Martial is not the typical English centre forward type, more like say Messi ( only in how he plays that striker position, not ability). Think about it , Martial or Lingard , mad road runner or a goal scorer, possibly an easy choice.

devips

Martial is not a natural striker. He is basically our Ozil - essentially lazy but with lots of natural ability. He needs a natural striker like Greenwood or Haaland in front of him to be effective.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Really does anyone want a player that runs a lot, that describes Lingard to a tee. That's what he does, but rarely achieves anything, stats show he runs more than anyone, but doesn't score, create or defend. Gets booked a lot though!

Martial is not the typical English centre forward type, more like say Messi ( only in how he plays that striker position, not ability). Think about it , Martial or Lingard , mad road runner or a goal scorer, possibly an easy choice.
Messi can as he is levels above every player in the world, creates chances for fun and scores more than a goal per game. Ronaldo was given less to 0 defensive work as he was unbelievable goal scorer.

On the other hand, we have players like Rooney, Tevez who used to work very hard for the team and also very good goal scorers. Lingard is not the only hard worker, if you want better example check KdB. Always hardest working player in the team and then always comes up with moment of magic.

He doesn't have to work like Lingard, just bit more intensity in his game will be huge improvement.

Tbf to Martial, this season his work rate has been good for a CF.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Ever since Gegenpressing came along it seems that hard work can be only be analysed by how forward you press. Absolute rubbish.

This kid is making runs deep as CDM near his own box to recieve the ball to his feet to start an attack because he is one of the best passers in the whole squad before he makes a run to the the other end of the box.

He tends to not get in to the box not because he is lazy but because he is a deep lying forward who needs two wider forwards like Rashford & Greenwood in partnership in front of him to work.

The guy is making runs left and right & he is even pressing the goal keeper. Making passes and runs absolutely everywhere.

The guy was always a deep lying forward false 9 who makes the forwards tick & playing wingers like James crossing in to the box does nothing for him.

Bring another forward for United's sake for being able to have a variety of gameplay - but don't you start thinking rubbish that martial is some useless player that does cr*p all for us.
He is indeed very good at checking in for the ball and has a good eye for a pass and is a very tricky player. But what I want to see from him is to make more sprints. Time and time again I have seen the ball go out side to a player like James who is sprinting down the line and when he gets to the byline he whips in a cross and Martial is jogging in at the top of the 18. If he can add those tap in goals he could be a great player. But it seems like he always wants the ball to feet and rarely makes a run. When James has the ball wide he should be running near post. Rashford is guilty of it too as he should be making more far post runs like he did today for his goal...