Martial/Rashford - Can they make the next step?

Jaybomb

Rashford yes.
Martial NO.

Martial will never make it as a winger. Mourinho will eventually buy someone more suitable for that position.

Rashford on the other hand is the golden boy. The board will make sure Mourinho develops him and rightly so.

northender

Supports
Preston North End
Doesn't help that they are in and out every week. Young players need a run of games to develop and gain confidence, not being dropped all the time.

Questions have to be asked of why they haven't really improved under Mourinho. Obviously football is a brutal world nowadays, and a manager like Mourinho needs to win regardless of individuals, but Shaw, Martial and Rashford all basically standing still in terms of their development in the last 18 months under Mourinho does not reflect well on him IMHO.

Loublaze

ATLien
Rashford yes.
Martial NO.

Martial will never make it as a winger. Mourinho will eventually buy someone more suitable for that position.

Rashford on the other hand is the golden boy. The board will make sure Mourinho develops him and rightly so.
Love them both, but Rashford is no winger either. They both have bright futures at United. How do you not rate Martial but have all the time in the world for a donkey like Rojo?

Bojan11

Love them both, but Rashford is no winger either. They both have bright futures at United. How do you not rate Martial but have all the time in the world for a donkey like Rojo?
He wants us to sign David Luiz and thinks Nani was amazing. So best to ignore him.

Criticises Martial whilst Nani was inconsistent as feck.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I think Martial has been much better than Rashford this season when last season it was the other way around. Rashford is just not an intelligent footballer and when he's playing where he's easily distracted or annoyed he's one dimensional and bad.

Jaybomb

Cause Rojo actually gives a shit.

Jaybomb

You spoke to him personally?
You only need to look at them both on the pitch.

Rojo is a fighter. Proper United mentality and a tough tackler. Martial is a sulker who slows down our play by taking every pass to his feet and then attempting to a “Messi-like” dribble around 4 defenders before ultimately losing possession and sulking some more.

I for one, have had enough of him. Forget the hype and look at his performances and tell me he’s been good enough.

The only time he’s been effective this season is when he’s come off the bench against tired defences. Some people just don’t like hearing the truth but there’s a reason there’s been speculation about his exit. There’s no smoke without fire and all that.

Axkiko

They won't until Mourinho left. I am not anti-Mourinho but he's not a good mentor of young player, especially attacking player.

Mourinho doesn't has great attacking tactical knowledge at first. You can see the successful attacking player who worked for him were always experienced player or prime player. I have the impression that the only young attacking player developed well of Mourinho was Morata.

There's too much talks of Guardiola and Pochettino already, but you have to admit they made their young attacking player developing very well.

Loublaze

ATLien
Cause Rojo actually gives a shit.
Oh yes he gave a feck when he stupidly gave Watford a penalty and almost scored an own goal against Bournemouth. Can't win a header to save his life these days either

Loublaze

ATLien
He wants us to sign David Luiz and thinks Nani was amazing. So best to ignore him.

Criticises Martial whilst Nani was inconsistent as feck.
I saw that. Comical really. Ask him why Luiz is not favored anymore by Conte

Bojan11

You only need to look at them both on the pitch.

Rojo is a fighter. Proper United mentality and a tough tackler. Martial is a sulker who slows down our play by taking every pass to his feet and then attempting to a “Messi-like” dribble around 4 defenders before ultimately losing possession and sulking some more.

I for one, have had enough of him. Forget the hype and look at his performances and tell me he’s been good enough.

The only time he’s been effective this season is when he’s come off the bench against tired defences. Some people just don’t like hearing the truth but there’s a reason there’s been speculation about his exit. There’s no smoke without fire and all that.
Stopped reading at the Martial slows down our play bit.

Wonder what you think of Rashford then because he certainly doesn’t speed it up.

Yes Rojo the fighter who lacks composure and spends half the game hoofing it up pointlessly nowhere near our strikers.

haram

It's funny when people say Rashford has no football intelligence when his movement and runs are FAR better than Martial's.

Jaybomb

It's funny when people say Rashford has no football intelligence when his movement and runs are FAR better than Martial's.
This. There’s no comparison in my opinion. Rashford is the better prospect and player.

Bojan11

They won't until Mourinho left. I am not anti-Mourinho but he's not a good mentor of young player, especially attacking player.

Mourinho doesn't has great attacking tactical knowledge at first. You can see the successful attacking player who worked for him were always experienced player or prime player. I have the impression that the only young attacking player developed well of Mourinho was Morata.

There's too much talks of Guardiola and Pochettino already, but you have to admit they made their young attacking player developing very well.
Robben was 20 at Chelsea.

Di María and Ozil were both 21 when they joined Real Madrid and improved under Mourinho.

Hazard had his first big season under Mourinho. But you carry on with your anti Mourinho agenda.

World class players stand out regardless of the manager. Rooney was looking world class under Davey Moyes and Sven ffs.

Jaybomb

I saw that. Comical really. Ask him why Luiz is not favored anymore by Conte
By that logic we shouldn’t sign any players then cause if they were good enough, they’d never be made available in the first place! Right?

Loublaze

ATLien
By that logic we shouldn’t sign any players then cause if they were good enough, they’d never be made available in the first place! Right?
Luiz is shit. Talented footballer, shit center back. The season he had for Chelsea last season was an anomaly. All credit to Conte. Luiz only excels in a back three because it helps him hide his deficiencies. Shit he couldn't even make it for PSG in an easy ass league.

Abdou0230

Not in the current step up.

Both are striker who aren't going to get the chance to play upfront.
Exactly this.
The fact that Martial can play a little on the wing and sometimes win in 1 on 1 situation doesn't mean he is a pure winger, he still is a striker by nature.

Loublaze

ATLien
Not far better. Very similar actually but Martial's close control in and dribbling in tight spaces is WAY better. Rashford still thinks he has all the space in the world in tight corners because of his pace and he usually ends up kicking the ball out of bounds. Lets be real

haram

Not far better. Very similar actually but Martial's close control in and dribbling in tight spaces is WAY better. Rashford still thinks he has all the space in the world in tight corners because of his pace and he usually ends up kicking the ball out of bounds. Lets be real
It's not very similar. Martial likes most things in to feet and his off the ball movement isn't very good.

I was talking about 'football intelligence' anyway so whilst I agree Martial's dribbling is better it's not really relevant.

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't give a fvck about his ACL injury. He actually played very well in his first two games back and has progressively got worse since. How can you chalk his STUPID penalty giveaway against Watford to a lack of match fitness? He did this shit last season when he avoided what should've been two red cards

Jaybomb

I don't give a fvck about his ACL injury. He actually played very well in his first two games back and has progressively got worse since. How can you chalk his STUPID penalty giveaway against Watford to a lack of match fitness? He did this shit last season when he avoided what should've been two red cards
We won that game. And he didn’t get any red cards so what you’re talking about is irrelevant really.

“If my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.”

Loublaze

ATLien
We won that game. And he didn’t get any red cards so what you’re talking about is irrelevant really.

“If my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.”
Your boy has had a brainfart in his last three games. Why is he not playing at the moment?

Jaybomb

Your boy has had a brainfart in his last three games. Why is he not playing at the moment?
He played midweek and is currently nursing a head injury.

Same reason half the squad didn’t play.

Giggs86

Ability and talent wise both have a great potential. What worries me about them is the lack of intelligence. Rashford is younger so hopefully he develops some football brains in the near future, whether for Martial is crucial that he makes the step forward right now.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rashford yes.
Martial NO.

Do you watch the same sport? Martial offers everything Rashford has and more. There’s no competiotn whatsoever between them; or at least there shouldn’t be.

Jaybomb

Do you watch the same sport? Martial offers everything Rashford has and more. There’s no competiotn whatsoever between them; or at least there shouldn’t be.
No he doesn’t. Rashford runs in behind and makes better runs. You’re kidding yourself.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No he doesn’t. Rashford runs in behind and makes better runs. You’re kidding
No he doesn’t. Rashford runs in behind and makes better runs. You’re kidding yourself.
Lads in the under 16s probably make better runs, doesn’t make them a better player.Neither are top class yet but Martial has far more in his locker than Rashford.

MrBest

I think both are special talents. With martial i don't see enough desire. He needs more confidence in his game. He has the ability to open defences with ease but sometimes his decisions are stupid.
Rashford is young,he came out of nowhere. He scored 5 goals in 10 or so games and ever since there has been this expectation. Again, I think confidence has destroyed him. He's a player with huge amounts pace, he plays with his heart. I would send him on a one month holiday now and get him rested up. Fergie did it with Ronaldo and it worked wonders for him. I do also think Jose is at huge fault. He keeps chopping and changing them. Not enough consistency in starts. I would personally have both on either wing or go to 352 with rashford and lukaku up top and with martial in the hole.

Luke1995

I see Rashford as the man to partner Kane in the world cup and possibly, depending on what happens, even putting Kane on the bench. Martial isn't close to Mbappe, Griezmann, Lacazette or Dembele. Hell, can I argue that even Giroud is ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment ?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I see Rashford as the man to partner Kane in the world cup and possibly, depending on what happens, even putting Kane on the bench. Martial isn't close to Mbappe, Griezmann, Lacazette or Dembele. Hell, can I argue that even Giroud is ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment ?
Are you insane? Marcus fecking Rashford is going to bench Harry Kane? The same Harry Kane who has 50+ goals in 2017?

Greck

Said it before- they badly need to be coached to help their decision making, especially Rashford who lacks vision but is a willing learner

Luke1995

Are you insane? Marcus fecking Rashford is going to bench Harry Kane? The same Harry Kane who has 50+ goals in 2017?
I said DEPENDING on what happens. Remember that Kane at Euro 2016 had bad performances. Obviously Kane is their main man, but we cannot predict the future..

Bojan11

If one of our players had scored that amount of goals they’d be ranked alongside Ronaldo and Messi.

But as it’s good old Kane who plays for Spurs, Rashford will have no problems putting him on the bench. I mean he’s only scored 50 plus goals in the last year.