Martial/Rashford/Greenwood at age 18

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If you compare each player to when they were all 18/19. Which player are you most impressed by?

Martial's debut season under Van Gaal was incredible. As was Rashford's impact at a time we were desperate for a forward and now we have Greenwood who looks freakishly great.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tough one.

It's between Greenwood and Martial. Greenwood definitely the better goalscorer. Martials all round play was class though.

In Rainbows

Martial at age 18 wasn't playing for United. He came to United at age 19.

Age 24 (present): 2019/20
Age 23: 2018/19
Age 22: 2017/18
Age 21: 2016/17
Age 20: 2015/16

Martial's birthday is in December so he was 19 when he first arrived, and then 20 for like 6 months of the season after. So Martial's age 18/19 season was in 2014/15 with Monaco where he scored 12 goals.

Mason's age 18/19 season is next season. This is Mason's age 17/18 season. So to me it's quite clear that Mason is doing something they didn't do.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Greenwood by a very long distance. Rashford had a good start but was on and off and never got close to that figure. Martial was 19, and very impressive but he wasn't doing at 18 what Greenwood is doing now. Greenwood is extremely prolific with his limited minutes playing, including being with a team devoid of creativity for a chunk of his season.

The_Midfielder

Greenwood. His breakthrough has been incredible.
Rashfords start was even more sensational.. if you think about it ...
reserve player .. playing because the first team players are injured.. chasing a 1st leg deficit.. scores 2..
Next game against arsenal scores again.. same season scores against City..

However Greenwood is a better player .. but Rashford' s start was like. a fairy tale

Revan

Assumptionman
Mason by a country mile. Rashford was excellent too.

Martial was playing for Monaco.

midnightmare

Rashford and Martial had electric starts given the contexts. But if I go solely by how excited I am watching the player and thinking "How good is he going to be in 4-5 years' time?", Mason has me more excited than I have ever been since Rooney and Ronaldo. He just is that good. So for me, it's not recency bias, but just the sort of class on the ball. And this when I truly feel Mason is easing himself in and not "putting on a show". He's done a lot more stuff in the youth ranks. Like that right foot of his. He only just unleashed it today. So far, people (that don't follow United that closely and just watch the PL games) have sort of thought of him only having a lethal left. But this is a kid that's taken (and scored) FKs with both feet in the same game! Like I said, this is like it was when we saw Rooney breaking through.

Falcow

Perhaps its more interesting to compare him to say Salah, Kane and Sane when they were 18. Sky is the limit for him, it really is.

Revan

Assumptionman
Rashford and Martial had electric starts given the contexts. But if I go solely by how excited I am watching the player and thinking "How good is he going to be in 4-5 years' time?", Mason has me more excited than I have ever been since Rooney and Ronaldo. He just is that good. So for me, it's not recency bias, but just the sort of class on the ball. And this when I truly feel Mason is easing himself in and not "putting on a show". He's done a lot more stuff in the youth ranks. Like that right foot of his. He only just unleashed it today. So far, people (that don't follow United that closely and just watch the PL games) have sort of thought of him only having a lethal left. But this is a kid that's taken (and scored) FKs with both feet in the same game! Like I said, this is like it was when we saw Rooney breaking through.
To be fair, that does not matter too much when the level changes from kids to EPL. Pereira looked an absolute star in youth categories, and was nonchalantly taking awesome corners with both feet. He looks extremely average for the main team.

Saying that, I was really hoping that he is going to take the free kick and go for a hat-trick, but the grown-ups did not allow him. Still, it ended well with Bruno's goal.

midnightmare

To be fair, that does not matter too much when the level changes from kids to EPL. Pereira looked an absolute star in youth categories, and was nonchalantly taking awesome corners with both feet. He looks extremely average for the main team.

Saying that, I was really hoping that he is going to take the free kick and go for a hat-trick, but the grown-ups did not allow him. Still, it ended well with Bruno's goal.
I'd dismiss open play stuff translating - and even dismiss banal FKs, but with Mason, this wasn't the standard youth level stuff. You could tell even when he was with the U18s that he was already miles closer to the first team than Chong and Gomes, regardless of their already having had some minutes. Anyway, let's just enjoy this lad! I see him transitioning to the #9 over the next few years.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Every chance Greenwood wins it next year (this one is Sancho/Haaland easy)
If we win fa cup Europa league he could yet get it. Long shot admittedly.

BristolRuss

Greenwood, Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Ronaldo, Messi and Sterling in the seasons where they turned 18:

Games / Goals

Greenwood: 41 / 15 (so far)
Rashford: 18 / 8
Martial: 15 / 2
Sancho: 12 / 1
Ronaldo: 31 / 5
Messi: Turned 18 inbetween seasons. The season ending just before his birthday 9 / 1. The season just after 25 / 8
Sterling: 36 / 2

Andersons Dietician

I mean just going off their first seasons Martial was easily a more complete player doing more for the team. However Greenwood’s finishing is pretty special. Think some of Martials goals his first season were better and showed more well rounded finishing.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Martial debut season for United was amazing, but he was older than Greenwood. He was basically our leader in the attack all on his own, and that was better than Greenwood's season, because the pressure on him isn't half as big now as it was back then on Martial. But again, he was also older and with more top football on his CV.

lynchie

Definitely Greenwood. Rashford was great mainly because I remember him being really surprising - he wasn't the youth team player everyone was excited about (although now I can't remember who was...)

Greenwood is so stylish already. He could be a phenomenon.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
If we're talking about their first season at United than Martial was clearly the better player. Greenwood probably the better finisher, not that Martial himself was a slouch in that department but he was simply the better overall player(better dribbler, passer, build up play, etc). Don't let recency bias make you forget this.

The unfortunate thing about Martial and Rashford is that they followed their breakthrough seasons at United with Mourinho which meant the following years with Jose were right off. Their development simply got stalled. Fortunately for Greewood he seems to be coming into a good environment and situation for his development and hopefully sees better years ahead of him.

Also Rashford's breakthrough season had more hype. I remember him scoring in almost all his debuts.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Greenwood is the furthest along by a long way. Generational talent. Kane, Sterling, Rashford & Sancho better watch out because their places could be in jeopardy.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Greenwood is the furthest along by a long way. Generational talent. Kane, Sterling, Rashford & Sancho better watch out because their places could be in jeopardy.
He's pretty good and you guys are right to be excited but I don't think he's quite good enough to play 4 positions at the same time.

Seriously though, kid has the world at his feet.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Martial was close in finishing ability to Greenwood at the same age but Greenwood is able to do a lot more out of nothing.

Rashford is nowhere near (and never will be) to Martial and Greenwood in terms of actual technical ability. He's more about pace and directness. Which is fine because it compliments Martial.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Best and most clinical forward at 18 - Greenwood
Most complete youngster during breakout year - Martial
Best debut breakthrough - Marcus Rashford under Van Gaal in Europa league and Vs Arsenal + rest of that season.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think people are forgetting how pleasing Martial's first season was, given many of us knew little about him when he first joined and he immediately picked up the slack of RVP and Chicharito declining and departing, even outscoring Rooney. The problem is that was his best season until this one. He was 19 at the start of that season.

Rashford came in at a more difficult time later in LVG's second season. He got that pair of braces early which got everyone very excited, but was then playing as almost a glorified wing back in some games for a very passive LVG team. Rashford looked a prospect, but his knack of scoring on debut masked him still being very raw too. He's improved massively since then. He was 17 at the start of that season, 18 by debut.

Until recently, Greenwood has been another young player whose knack of scoring masks his otherwise fairly underwhelming underlying stats. The talent is clearly there, especially when he gets a shot at goal, which is so regularly gets off given half a chance, but he’s disappeared at centre forward often, and looked a square peg in a round hole out wide. The last two games have been the best of his career, looking a genuine handful, and he’s benefited from being in an in-form attacking team. He was 17 at the start of this season.

I think Rashford will likely have the best career. He has shown the most growth so far, which stands him in good stead for periods out of form. Martial is somewhat at what I expect will prove to be his peak. Mason has made a great start, but is still relatively unproven and has faced virtually zero pressure so far.