Martial's 50 goals

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was privileged to be there live for that first goal.
The bubble of excitement when he came on, then did that!

Glad he's getting a proper go in the middle now, was super frustrating watching him pick it up wide on the half way line and try and beat 3 players

Sylar

Glad he's getting a proper go in the middle now, was super frustrating watching him pick it up wide on the half way line and try and beat 3 players
Yeah, was there too. Was a weird game as i remember Fellaini starting up top, and was 0-0 at half time. People complaining how boring it was. Blinds goal changed the match. But the explosion from the crowd when Martial scored was nuts.

Edit: just started that vid, ugh. Cos its from United, its got that annoying crappy commentary.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would it be fair to categorise him as a scorer of great goals, rather than a great goalscorer? He's scored some absolute beauts, but 50 goals in 4 years for a forward at a top 6 club is a pretty poor record. Some lovely goals in there anyway, he's great at those first time curlers.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Would it be fair to categorise him as a scorer of great goals, rather than a great goalscorer? He's scored some absolute beauts, but 50 goals in 4 years for a forward at a top 6 club is a pretty poor record. Some lovely goals in there anyway, he's great at those first time curlers.
It's far from poor, Son at Spurs for example arrived in the PL in the same summer only has something like 16 more goals than Martial in a further 12 more appearances (and you can almost guarantee a shit load more actual minutes on the pitch)

Santoryo

ripping the reward

This is very important and I'm glad Ole is correcting that. He simply wasn't close enough to opposition box to cause real damage given his greatest weapon is his finishing.

Starting out wide the way he was played always required him to beat a bunch of players before finding himself in any goalscoring situations which was just bizarre given his finishing quality.

As a striker Ole has ensure that Martial is always in and around the box where he'll cause real damage considering his skillset. Forget about dribbling and such, his greatest weapon is his clinical finishing and he better be put in a place where he'll be able to use it.

For a winger whom among those 176 appearances almost a quarter or third are subtitute then it's pretty good.

I expect his numbers to go higher this season given he'll be getting into a lot more goalscoring opportunities compared to his days as a winger.

MiceOnMeth

He's been playing mostly as a winger for a club who has struggled majorly to score goals while he himself has been in and out of the team, I think 50 is a decent return all things considered.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's far from poor, Son at Spurs for example arrived in the PL in the same summer only has something like 16 more goals than Martial in a further 12 more appearances (and you can almost guarantee a shit load more actual minutes on the pitch)
They actually have the same amount of minutes. Now the difference is that Martial had a lot less experience and is 4 years younger, in terms of development they weren't in the same phase.

SirAnderson

Lovely watch that. Thanks!
Sad to say it hasn't been better savored due to the circumstances over the years, so many of those goals were matches we've drawn or lost which makes one enjoy it less.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
50 goals for a 23 year old that hasn’t even played mostly in a goal scoring position, has gone through a hell of a roller coaster in his personal life and to top it off was shafted out of the best form of his life by the forced signing of Sanchez. Wow.

We are very lucky to have him

K13

Thanks for posting some fantastic memories. Forgotten about the headers and that he was once on penalties.

EvilChuck

So many side footed finishes. If you watched that he looks like a world beater, put him in and around the box with 1 person to beat and he will score

forevrared

He's had more than his share of detractors from within the ranks of United fans, but he's really a brilliant player and probably our best finisher.

Arguably the worst part of the Alexis signing trainwreck is the way it sidetracked Martial's development. He was in incredible form and then just got unceremoniously shoved out of the side to accommodate Alexis, who did feck all and kept his spot. Early days yet this season, but I'm excited to see what he can do when trusted to be one of our primary goalscorers this season.

Jules_T

I'd like to see a break down of the stats.

1) how many goals from starts?
2) how many goals as sub?
3) how many winning goals compared to goals when we are already 2 or 3 up?
4) how many penalties?

Would be interesting to know.....?

Woodzy

I’m more encouraged by those two performances than I have been for his last three years here...

Will Singh

I'd say that's a fantastic record for a player who's been shafted by the club on more then one occasion. He's still a very young at 23 so I think we are lucky to have him at the club. Our best attacking player by a country mile...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

One of the loudest OT reactions I ever heard on television, over & above Tyler’s epic call.

Stadjer

He's had more than his share of detractors from within the ranks of United fans, but he's really a brilliant player and probably our best finisher.

Arguably the worst part of the Alexis signing trainwreck is the way it sidetracked Martial's development. He was in incredible form and then just got unceremoniously shoved out of the side to accommodate Alexis, who did feck all and kept his spot. Early days yet this season, but I'm excited to see what he can do when trusted to be one of our primary goalscorers this season.
Yup, Martial was great but lost he place to Alexis who has just been bad ever since. Also cost Martial the world cup. Had he been keeping up that form he would have been part of the world cup winning squad.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Sorry Poggers but Tony's my favourite United player. Just love the way he puts them in the net.

Rolaholic

50 goals for a 23 year old that hasn’t even played mostly in a goal scoring position, has gone through a hell of a roller coaster in his personal life and to top it off was shafted out of the best form of his life by the forced signing of Sanchez. Wow.

We are very lucky to have him
Honestly my favorite developement over the past year was definitely him signing a new deal after it had looked like he was on the way out for a little while. He's still legit young (not lingard 'young') with more room to grow his game which is exciting because he's been our most impactful forward over the past 5 years and is almost always assured to have a couple of great chances per game. He's got great technical and finishing ability,just hoping that playing full time at his preferred position will bring out the consistency in him to break through to being a 20 goals per season type scorer. He's got all the tools for it and has started the season promisingly

ricky-romeo

this is the season where he needs to get at least 20 goals in all competition.

he is playing as the number 9 now, not on the left wing and also not in and out of the team anymore.

WireMUFC

What a player, can’t wait to see him and Rashford in their prime, everyone needs to get behind them both! Young mason coming through as well, exciting times.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I have to admit that I sometimes forget about his age, his huge potential and what he has done at this club so far. So many special goals, he is a special player. No reason to not be exited about such a player, big reason to look forward to this season just to see him continue his development playing every week. He is ready.

Halftrack

Not to shit on Stewart Gardner, but his commentary doesn't hold a candle to Martin Tyler's orgasm when Martial put it away on his debut against Liverpool.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He started 127 games in 4 seasons, played 11752 mins. Averages goal+ assists every 146 mins. That's a good record.

Now that he is the main striker of the team and plays regularly, he should score lot more goals. Hopefully he will score lot more goals like Ole said, scrappy ones and easy ones.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Honestly my favorite developement over the past year was definitely him signing a new deal after it had looked like he was on the way out for a little while. He's still legit young (not lingard 'young') with more room to grow his game which is exciting because he's been our most impactful forward over the past 5 years and is almost always assured to have a couple of great chances per game. He's got great technical and finishing ability,just hoping that playing full time at his preferred position will bring out the consistency in him to break through to being a 20 goals per season type scorer. He's got all the tools for it and has started the season promisingly
He may as well go on and score 40-50 goals per season in the next decade :drool:

Canagel

Do you remember when Mourinho and some fans wanted him to be replaced for Willian? Dark times.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah, for the first time since his debut season he will be considered as important first team player who will be leading the attack. Very impressive start to the season already and showing how good he is when it comes to his ability on the ball.

roonster09

Scout
Also his stats and Rashford's are so close and both of them played as wingers for most part of their careers.

Martial ---- 11752 Mins - 50 goals - 30 assists - 147 mins per G+A
Rashford -- 10725 Mins - 47 goals - 27 assists - 145 mins per G+A

Their PL record is similar too
Martial ---- 7576 Mins - 36 goals - 17 assists - 143 mins per G+A
Rashford -- 6886 Mins - 29 goals - 15 assists - 156 mins per G+A

Finally both are starting together instead of one or the other.

Last edited:

ValenciaRocks

Fantastic video thanks for the share!

I must admit I was surprised at how many brilliant goals he has scored for us. If he can add those instinctive tap ins like he did against Chelsea to his repertoire then I have no doubts he will score lots of goals for us this season.

I was also impressed with the fact he can score with both feet too, meaning defenders will be second guessing his movement.

Imo, Mourinho ruined his development. You can’t help but feel his progress was stagnated by moving him out wide, limiting his game and taking away his number 9 shirt (although that seems trivial, it mustn’t of been good for his confidence)

Rashford, Martial, Gomes and Greenwood are going to be the future of this club. Perhaps James too but it’s too early to tell.