Martial's United career so far?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Not even starting important matches anymore, and don't tell me it's because he was injured because it's been a month or so since he's back from his injury.Rashford is playing injured for over a month or so, Lukaku was injured too, etc.

I am seriously disappointed with him, from probably the biggest talent in the world that cost us some serious money, to not even being a starter in a team where his competitors for places are all out of form.

I didn't buy all the Martial FC bullshit, but he is flying under the radar for some reason and hardly anyone is criticising him too much. I keep hearing that Rashford is playing because he is english, local lad, etc., but Rashford actually didn't cost this club a lot unlike the likes of Martial and Lukaku, and he is playing probably better than them and yet is far more criticised than them(at least than Martial). If someone told me 3 years ago that Martial wouldn't be a starter in this team I wouldn't believe it.

This is not necessarily about him just not starting this match, it's also worth noting that it's another season where he barely showed any improvement, and he's been here for more than 3 years.I hope he will have a good game at Camp Nou, but one game won't change my opinion.

Am I the only one who is seriously disappointed with him?

Just a reminder, he costed us around 80 mil euros as a fecking teenager who hardly did anything until then(it was something like that in the end, wasn't it)?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Who wouldn't be? 17 goals as a 19 year old in his first season in England. Been nowhere near since.

Djemba-Djemba

He's actually got away with his performances under Ole.

He was weirdly playing much better this season under Mourinho. Maybe the only player you can say that about.

BlueHaze

He's incredibly inconsistent and that will forever be his biggest problem. Has moments of brilliance where he looks as good as Mbappe and then goes missing for a handful of games or just plays outright atrocious. Sadly I think we all have to accept that this is all we are going to get out of him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He's flattered to deceive for a while. He's a great option to have and should be a starter for us, but he's not top class yet. Too inconsistent.

el3mel

He's on the course of becoming another Quaresma without the off field issues. Brilliant moments but incredibly frustrating and inconsistent over the course of 90 minutes

RyRy11

Too inconsistent and doesn't look like he suits the type of energetic football OGS wants us to play. Unless either of those change we should start looking elsewhere.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
First thing I'll say is he ain't a sub, if you're not going to start him leave him at home because he's not urgent enough to come on and change a game

Second thing I'll say is he had a year under a manager who trusted him then 2 and a half years under a manager who didn't

He has glaring flaws in his game (lack of movement being my main gripe) but he's clearly got talent but needs an attacking manager to help get the best out of him. Hopefully we've got that with Ole

RedNed77

He should never be a sub. I can't remember whenever he's come on as a sub and actually looked good. Just walks round shrugging. He's brought on with 20-30 minutes on and he just walks around. He's being brought on when we're in need, he has plenty of energy but just doesn't seem to care. There is absolutely no fight in the lad at all.

Flip side is there's a worldy in there somewhere. He really pisses me off.

Siorac

I think we wasted two and a half years of his career. Development time he'll never get back.

I'm a big fan since his debut goal but at this point I don't think he'll make it.

ErranMorad

I really fear that the essential "next step" is not going to happen for him. Doesn't look that motivated to me. Looks very passive at most times. Tremendous talent but you got to match it with hard work and dedication. A couple of weeks back someone compared him to Theo Walcott: a talented lad who never took the step up. I am afraid he may fall into that category.

AndyJ1985

It's been very disappointing. There's been glimpses of a very good player here and there, but it's so few and far between. For all the hype surrounding him he's really very underwhelming in most matches. Of course he's not been helped at all by Mourinho. I think if he had a coach like Pep or Klopp at a young age he'd be a much better player by now.

acnumber9

He really only excels at one thing and that’s finishing. I’d back him to take a chance above anyone else in the squad. There’s very little else to his game. The odd dribble when he’s not doing the same thing over and over again. Sloppy passing most of the time and horrendous movement. I can’t remember the last time I watched him and thought he’s had a really good game.

Last edited:

Seth.R

Yeah he's not really improved since he first joined, which is a shame because at the time it looked like we had a future world beater on our hands.

He's still young, but he lacks any kind of intensity nor the drive to make runs off the ball. Or to drive at defenders.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He should never be a sub. I can't remember whenever he's come on as a sub and actually looked good. Just walks round shrugging. He's brought on with 20-30 minutes on and he just walks around. He's being brought on when we're in need, he has plenty of energy but just doesn't seem to care. There is absolutely no fight in the lad at all.

Flip side is there's a worldy in there somewhere. He really pisses me off.
Last season he actually did that regularly (at least in the first half of the season). Did it a few times this season too. In fact he had a ridiculously high goal per 90 minute ratio because he was scoring regularly off the bench.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
A poor sub appearance and his whole career here is now questioned? The Caf is a weird place some times.

He’s not match fit and he didn’t play well. That’s about as far as it goes. You can see by one run he made through the centre, he has talent. He’s done better than a hell of a lot of 22 year olds would have done at United. Zaha springs to mind, who some people clamour for now.

Web of Bissaka

I think his United career so far is fine, similar with the likes of Rashford, Shaw, Lindelof and even Dalot, Pereira for me.
Fulfilled my minimum expectations of 'em all.

Anyway, yeah Martial's first season is just freaky. So that makes people's hope and thus expectations over high.

But I think he showed early on there are a lot of aspects to his game that needs to improve. The good news is he's improving and still improving. I can see that clearly. The thing is the inconsistent performances masked that. Inconsistency is too common among young players (the few who are consistent early ages are freaks) and Martial having that doesn't bother me. Actually for me, his consistency is a lot better than many young players I know of.

The only problem now is his playstyle is just too limited. The reason why managers even Ole will drop him is because of simply that. He's just too one dimensional. So he needs to show to his managers (even manager of France) he can be more tactically useful. Too relax or too cool, inconsistent, lack urgency and lack aggression. Seemingly only effective as LW. It's hard for manager to trust and play that kind of player as regular consistently, unless he reach the level of lessay Neymar, Hazard and Robben which he's nowhere near of.

Copa Mundial

He's just consistently inconsistent!

What exactly does he do well on a regular basis?

Jeez I'm not even sure we know what his best position is yet.

Hugely underwhelming in every respect!

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
When we win we have great players and when we lose its as if we haven't had a good player play for us since fergie left.

superdry

touched by a genius
If you combined him, Rashford and Lukaku together you still wouldn't have a complete striker.
We have a very blunt edge to our attack.

MancunianBIue

Supports
Manchester Ciy
Like Rashford needs proper coaching to take him to next level. Would of been a demon under Poch in my opinion.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's funny that OP mentions Martial being protected while Rashford is overly criticized. We must live in completely separate versions of the caf.

Martial's thread is far more filled with criticism and recycled arguments, no matter how many times they've been proven incorrect or disingenuous. He's not without flaws, but he is the better player of the two (or three if you include Lukaku's poor form).

I guess we all have our own biased perspective regardless.

Aloysius's Back 3

Nothing wrong with Martial & Rashford.

These players should not be the one and only attacking / creative players we have & rely on.

They are pushed up by importance not because they are rated highly- but because they have stepped up for us when we as a team have had absolutely no on else who can help us.

De gea, Shaw, Martial, Pogba & Rashford are the only players worthy of being in our First team - but that doesn't mean they should be the players we only rely on.

Oaencha

He cost us nowhere near 80 million Euros. The initial fee was 36 million and it could rise to 57.6 million pending clauses; including winning the Ballon d’or.

He has shown flashes of brilliance but no consistency. I haven’t completely warmed to him but there’s still time. I’m satisfied for 40ish million so far.

Negan

Anonymous again.

But he because he nutmegged some bang average defender a month or two ago, nothing will be said.

Aloysius's Back 3

Why would we do that?

Even if we can improve on martial & Rashford - why would we sell these guys?

Why isn't martial good enough to be atleast a squad player for us?

We need an attacking group of players & whilst that is currently only Rashford & martial - that is not their fault but fault of the squad's lack of quality of players.

Good enough to be at the club until we get much better in quality and quantity.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Why would we do that?

Even if we can improve on martial & Rashford - why would we sell these guys?

Why isn't martial good enough to be atleast a squad player for us?

We need an attacking group of players & whilst that is currently only Rashford & martial - that is not their fault but fault of the squad's lack of quality of players.

Good enough to be at the club until we get much better in quality and quantity.
Because unlike two-thirds of our squad, someone might actually pay a fee for him.

Red_toad

First thing I'll say is he ain't a sub, if you're not going to start him leave him at home because he's not urgent enough to come on and change a game

Second thing I'll say is he had a year under a manager who trusted him then 2 and a half years under a manager who didn't

He has glaring flaws in his game (lack of movement being my main gripe) but he's clearly got talent but needs an attacking manager to help get the best out of him. Hopefully we've got that with Ole
When he and Rashford were competing for the left side attacking slot he was electric as a sub, possibly his best form at United. But now he ‘ain’t no sub? How does that even work? He’s proven he can come off the bench to change games, unless we’re rewriting history?

Aloysius's Back 3

Because unlike two-thirds of our squad, someone might actually pay a fee for him.
Bullsh*t.

We don't need money.

Martial & Rashford are as good as Gabriel jesus, lamela, shaqiri, Mahrez as pure examples.

If they are not good as Kane, Aguero, Sterling, Salah or Mane does not mean they are not good enough to play an important role for our club as valuable assets of our attacks in certain games on the field or on the bench.

Worst comes to worse - have Martial & Rashford on our bench - that's arguably better than anybody else's subs bench.

I wouldn't sell them at all.