Martin Ødegaard - Next season

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by sun_tzu, May 19, 2016.

1. May 19, 2016

sun_tzu The Art of Bore

Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.
    So if we think back about 18 months I'm sure we can all remember the hype around this kid and the fact that pretty much all the top clubs were after him.

18 Months on and is he still the brightest young talent in the world or yet another kid who has failed to progress at Madrid and desperately needs a move away (be that a loan or a more permanent arrangement)

Had Norway qualified he could have been going to the Euros with a chance to shine - instead he finds himself in the reserves at real and facing the somewhat daunting prospect of having Ronaldo, Bale, Rodriguez, Isco, Jesse and Vasquez to get past to get an attacking role in the team... with Kroos, Modric and Kovacic for a bit of extra competition in a more central midfield role.

He will be 18 next season and perhaps next season, he is around 10 months older than rashford, at 18 Michael Owen was scoring 20+ a season and in the PFA team of the year, Rooney had been a first team regular for Everton for some time and Xavi broke into the Barca team.

There has been a lot written about his dad being a coach at Madrid, about a clause insisting he trains with the first team and I'm sure he is happy living in Madrid with family around him and getting to train with some of the very best in the world. But surely the players and Real Madrids long term interest is best served by getting him on loan somewhere so he can actually play games and develop?

Obviously Madrid will still have to pay a whopping chunk or all of his wages and he would have to agree any move but it seems logical he is at least loaned out next year.

Anybody think he will break through at Madrid next year if he stays?
    Or if the best option for him is to play with the reserves for the opportunity to train with the first team?
    Or should he just look for a new club permanently or go out on Loan?

If he went on loan what level do people think he could get regular games at?
  2. May 19, 2016

Acquire Me Full Member

The strange thing with Martin Ødegaard is that he seems to be at his best when he plays on a higher level. He is probably a lot more mature than his age group. He will not be a better player if he plays for Real Madrid B imo. Should leave Real Madrid or at least go to a ok club in Spain, Italy, France, Holland or England.
  3. May 19, 2016

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

I don't know much about this kid but Real Madrid are an odd choice for a talented teenager wanting to make it big.
  4. May 19, 2016

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    He needs a loan like Halijovic of Barca got
  5. May 19, 2016

the hea Full Member

I still can't understand that he turned down a move to Ajax, had he gone there 18 months ago he would be a first team regular by now and would probably be the dream signing of all the muppets around.
  6. May 19, 2016

ADJUDICATOR FULL MEMBER

Supports:
    THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
    Time's on his side. A first team loan would be great for him but I don't think he needs to worry too much at 17.
  7. May 19, 2016

cyberman Full Member

He's 10 months older than Rashford? I sometimes forget how young Rashford actually is..
  8. May 19, 2016

Acquire Me Full Member

Yes, that is really what he should have done. Real Madrid is probably the worst choice he could make, but they gave him superstar status from day one and he swallowed it raw.
  9. May 19, 2016

Lay Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

A loan to somewhere like Sociedad would be good for him.
  10. May 19, 2016

Acquire Me Full Member

Ødegaard is born 17 december 1998
  11. May 19, 2016

Lay Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

He's younger than Rashford.

edit: beaten to it
  12. May 19, 2016

sewey89 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

He's 10 months younger than Rashford.

Think he needs a move away, either loan or permanent with a buy back - To a mid table top flight team.
  13. May 19, 2016

LouisDanGaal Full Member

Odegaard is younger than Rashford. Owen and Rooney were exceptional impact players Odegaard has fantastic technique but I don't think he will burst into the team I think he will be a slow builder, steadily improving and justifying his place more and more. Next season he would do well to take a loan in la liga and just get game time under his belt, Hallilovic over at sporting Gijon got a lot of time this season, Barcelona are great at making sure there players get a lot of playing time, as delefeou got with everton, whatever they do don't send him to Dortmund.
  14. May 19, 2016

RoyH1 Full Member

Why did he do it? Well for the money of course. He gets payed more than some first team players.

He started off poorly but improved as the season went along. Fabulous technically, but physically and tactically he has ways to go. He'll probably do the preseason with Zidane and the first team and then get loaned out or sold on one of those sell with buy back option contracts Real Madrid like to do. I think a team like Villareal would be a good fit for him.
  15. May 19, 2016

slig Leave Klopp alone!!!

Supports:
    BVB 09
    oodegard?
    ah, that stupid kid who went to madrid just to recognize that this was the worst decision?
    wasted time...
    he could have been playing in a good league already, but hey madrid was calling.
    and then? he cried that he cant play in the first team. what a surpise you fool.:lol:
  16. May 19, 2016

goin4glory New Member

Madrid are paying him 50k a week.
  17. May 19, 2016

Supports:
    BVB 09
    great!
    with this money he can buy him a ps3+fifaXY and play there in the first team!
  18. May 19, 2016

Natener Full Member

That 50k could be the highest he will get in his career if he doesn't progress beyond Real's reserves. Anyway, hope that's not the case since it's still early days for him.
  19. May 19, 2016

Amar__ Incredibly Nasty Man

Supports:
    MK Dons
    Weren't there reports that he didn't stand out even for Castilla?
  20. May 19, 2016

goin4glory New Member

I'm not defending the move just pointing out why he made it.
  21. May 19, 2016

Supports:
    BVB 09
    and iam just laughing about guys like odegard.

while watching and enjoying guys like 17 years old pulisic,passlack,durm,weigl and so on ;-)
  22. May 19, 2016

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

Don't feel sorry for him. He enjoyed whoring himself around Europe and chose the team he would always get the least playing time with, So he deserves this.
  23. May 19, 2016

Someone Something

He's just a kid listening to his stupid father, can't fault him for it surely. He still needs to get away from madrid to really shine.
  24. May 19, 2016

Brightonian Full Member

It was more that he struggled than didn't stand out. He was playing with Castilla but training almost entirely with the Real Madrid proper squad. Didn't gel at all, reportedly (although you hear this about every hyped youngster and the story writes itself, so its probably bullshit) pissed off a couple of coaches and teammates with his attitude. That said, yes, he was outshone by a number of other youngsters, including our own Varela who impressed in his loan season.
  25. May 19, 2016

Amar__ Incredibly Nasty Man

Supports:
    MK Dons
    I am surprised he didn't go on loan somehwere.
  26. Jun 22, 2016

Amir Full Member

Shocking, isn't it?

"We hope you will achieve great success at Real Madrid. You have an extraordinary talent and we have great hopes for you”. Those words from Emilio Butragueño during Martin Ødegaard's official presentation on 23 January 2015 still reverbarate around Valdebebas. The teenager arrived with a tag of a child prodigy, but after 49 games in the Second Division B (and two goals) and two games with the first team, Ødegaard has yet to set the world alight. Ancelotti, one and a half years after the Norwegian was signed, has shed some light on the move in his latest book Quiet Leadership:“When Florentino buys a Norwegian footballer, you simply have to accept it. Furthermore, the president decided that he would play three games with the first team as a public relations exercise”.

The coach believes that Ødegaard's signing was a marketing manoeuvre and adds that he was not interested in the player: “He could be the best player in the world, but I don't care because he was not a player who I asked for. That signing was a to do with PR”. Madrid and the player are now looking for an outlet - a loan spell in the Premier Leaguefor the new season (Ødegaard's father prefers a move to Germany or England). The 17-year-old will not remain playing in Spain's third tier - the Segunda División B. His contract with Madrid states that he must train with the first team and only play matches with Castilla. “We are all convinced that he is going to become an important player for Real Madrid. We are looking to the future and I think he has quality and intelligence”, Ancelotti said the time, accepting the signing and handing the player two games with the senio side.

http://en.as.com/en/2016/06/22/football/1466572179_625892.html
  27. Jun 22, 2016

sammyvine New Member

Don't understand why he made such an awful decision. Hasn't he seen the many young players that have gone there and were moved on?

He should have went to Ajax or even Barcelona would have been better
  28. Jun 22, 2016

izec Full Member

Nothing shocks me in regards to Real.
  29. Jun 22, 2016

do.ob Full Member

I think this is overly dramatic. They signed a very promising child prodigy for next to nothing. Given their turnover in coaches it's understandable that they didn't ask Carlo for permission.
  30. Jun 22, 2016

ti vu Full Member

Not shocking at all. Isn't it well known managers at Real Madrid have little to no say in transfer for most part? And Perez can mess with team management and team selection in some cases?

If anything shocking, it's the fact that how bad a father this kid have. Signing for Real win all the fore warning, then this train with first team + play with youth clause. I meant football is a team game. How can you expect to perform if you never train with your teammate at all? Not even Messi can do that, mind you.
  31. Jun 22, 2016

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Why is Perez the one deciding he would play three first team matches?
  32. Jun 22, 2016

ti vu Full Member

The same reason, he can decide to sell Di Maria, Alonso and forced Ancelotti to play Bale more centrally after signed an AM in James!
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  33. Jun 22, 2016

Varun Moderator Staff

:lol:
  34. Jun 22, 2016

do.ob Full Member

Afaik Ödegaard made the squad twice. Once when Real were winning 3-0 at home against a relegation candidate and he didn't even get to play there and late sub appearance in a pointless home match they were already leading by two goals at home..
    Doesn't look like such a huge deal to me.
  35. Jun 22, 2016

milemuncher777 formerly kid777

Have no sympathy for him. It was inevitable as soon as he signed for Madrid.

I still hope some sense prevail in his plonker of a dad and they move away from that shithole of a club.
  36. Jun 22, 2016

To be honest, my point isn't just about Odegaard. Haven read a lot of the excerpts from Carlo's book, there seems to be a culture of interference from Perez.
    Carlo gives the impression Perez didn't care one jolt about Martin's development.
  37. Jun 22, 2016

The one hung in his favour is that he is still very young. But he must leave asap. Before he know it, he's 20 and would have played very little first team football.
  38. Jun 22, 2016

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen Scout

Will be on loan next season.
  39. Jun 22, 2016

thegregster Harbinger of new information

Why are people panicking?

He has played 45 games for Real B team. This is excellent going for a kid who won't be 18 till December.
  40. Jun 22, 2016

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    Yeah poor move from him, he could have gone to any number of teams noted for developing young players and at the end of the day, if he reached the level at said club he's supposed to Real would have been all over him anyway.