Martin Ødegaard - Next season

Classical Mechanic

The kid already has 96 senior appearances which makes the regression a bit more concerning. He is in Holland for another season after this so maybe he will be more settled next year.

WhoDaGOAT

Why is everyone overreacting?

He's exactly where he should be for an 18 year old.

Their results have been terrible since reducing his minutes, so it's their loss.

A guy I know who saw him live in the lower Spanish leagues said he has outrageous ability.

Acquire Me

:confused::confused: He was playing regularly for Strømsgodset in the Norwegian top division. In fact, he was the best player in the entire league in his final season. He would definitely have gotten regular first team football in a better team in a better league if he chose more wisely and didn't regress.
I don't think he has regressed tbf on him. Need to bulk up.

Fosu-Mens

Their results have been terrible since reducing his minutes, so it's their loss.

A guy I know who saw him live in the lower Spanish leagues said he has outrageous ability.
Suffers from the same problem as Mats Moller Daehli: Weak and slow, still a lot better than Daehli though. if we just could have mixed the technical part of Daehli and the physical part of King. That would have been like a new T. Henry
However we do have another talent that does actually perform in a not so shitty league: Sander Berge, the man that replaced Ndidi at Genk. Looks more promising 190cm 18y CDM. Even got some traces of pace.

Shady

Bebe is far better than Adu. United wasn't his level but he has done alright in midtable teams from Portugal and Spain. It wasn't his fault that United got duped by Mendes. Adu was confortably one of the worst players i saw playing at Benfica. And they had some really crappy players in the past such as Steve Harkness, Scott Minto, Michael Thomas or Gary Charles. He couldn't hack it at Belenenses either. So much slower and less technically gifted than the average portuguese league player.
Forget about Portugal, Adu wasn't even good enough for the Finnish league. Amazing flop.

Stadjer

The main reason for the bad results was losing Stijn Schaars to injury. He was is a former Dutch international, played for PSV, played for Sporting and won the Eredisivie with AZ. For a club like Heerenveen that is a absolute star player. He was playing that good for Heerenveen that he got invited to our (currently shit) national team which is something special as a Heerenveen player.

Odegaard just happend to join the Heerenveen about the same time Schaars got injured. I think he will do fine next season.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The main reason for the bad results was losing Stijn Schaars to injury. He was is a former Dutch international, played for PSV, played for Sporting and won the Eredisivie with AZ. For a club like Heerenveen that is a absolute star player. He was playing that good for Heerenveen that he got invited to our (currently shit) national team which is something special as a Heerenveen player.

Odegaard just happend to join the Heerenveen about the same time Schaars got injured. I think he will do fine next season.
Schaars :drool: Too bad he was too injury prone at Sporting. Really liked him as a player. Captain material.

Eriku

Has been looking good in pre-season matches, scoring two and making two assists as well.

A couple of assists during a period of play that starts at 2:28 in that clip, worth watching the whole vid, though.

Ødegaard goal at 1:55. Again, worth watching the whole thing if you want some general Ødegaard highlights.

Granted, it's pre-season and not exactly good opposition, but the coach has given him the nr 10 and has said he's one of the players who are to be among the important standard-bearers for the team.

I reckon he's going to do really well this season.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's doing quite well at Heerenveen, so no worries about the future. I think he will turn out a very good player.

May not become a world beater, but then again, if every talented youngster becomes the new Messi/Ronaldo things would be too easy.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Highlights Compilation

Sure, it's Eredivisie and NT U21 level, but then again he's only 18. Looks a fantastic midfield talent.

Schneckerl

Really hope he makes it as a world class player. Love to watch him due to his ball control and touch.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Why do compilation videos almost always use the word 'insane' in the title? Automatically makes me not want to watch it.

Eriku

Best performance to date in the Eredivise, definitely. Some of the turns on the ball when receiving it under pressure are absolutely magical, as is some of his passing. Definitely does better when he drifts into the centre of the pitch.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
1 goal and 2 assists in approx 2,000 minutes played there this season. Lot of praise for him on this page but is he really doing that well as his output seems pretty poor for someone who has played mostly as a winger.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
1 goal and 2 assists in approx 2,000 minutes played there this season. Lot of praise for him on this page but is he really doing that well as his output seems pretty poor for someone who has played mostly as a winger.
Would have had more assists if his team mates could hit a barn door. Poor/restraint shooter though.

Handré1990

Haven’t watched many games, and he’ll probably never reach the heights some were expecting (prematurely?), there is however still a great player in there. How he develops is anyones guess.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I still think he is going to be world class. People are applying the "next messi" sort of stereotype to this kid. He truly is something special.

Classical Mechanic

Interesting to compare him to Mason Mount. They are almost exactly the same age, both play attacking midfield kinds of positions and both playing for a similar quality team in Holland. Odegaard has been hyped for years and has lots of senior experience whereas Mount has flown under the radar among England young stars from the last year or so despite winning the 19s Euros Golden player, this is his first season at senior level.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/247454/Show/Martin-Ødegaard

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/343346/Show/Mason-Mount

Odegaard seems to have a more defensive side to his game whereas Mount is more decisive with goals and perhaps stands out more. It will be interesting to see where they both go from here.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
From the games I've seen him play I'd say he's still more or less the same player he was when he joined Heerenveen. IMO he's not doing as bad as his stats suggest (in fact I think he's playing well - certainly not out of the world but good) but the fact that he's not really progressing too much would worry me more than his stats if I were a fan.
He's still very young though and progress is not always linear.

Dolf

Interesting to compare him to Mason Mount. They are almost exactly the same age, both play attacking midfield kinds of positions and both playing for a similar quality team in Holland. Odegaard has been hyped for years and has lots of senior experience whereas Mount has flown under the radar among England young stars from the last year or so despite winning the 19s Euros Golden player, this is his first season at senior level.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/247454/Show/Martin-Ødegaard

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/343346/Show/Mason-Mount

Odegaard seems to have a more defensive side to his game whereas Mount is more decisive with goals and perhaps stands out more. It will be interesting to see where they both go from here.
Mount will go back to Chelsea at the end of the season which won't help his career judging by what happened to other talents at Chelsea.

Classical Mechanic

Mount will go back to Chelsea at the end of the season which won't help his career judging by what happened to other talents at Chelsea.
Hard to say. I expect him to get a Premier League loan next season rather than play for Chelsea. It is a worry though. I tend to think he should have played senior football last season too so him sitting on the bench next season at Chelsea won't be good at this point.

Hoof the ball

When kids like Odegaard have "IT" and their abilities are technically reliant and not physically so, then, there's no rush to click into top gear. Certain technically proficient players just come into themselves at an undeterminable age, like Zidane, for eg. Applying similar critiques for Zidane pre-24 years of age (certainly pre-21) we might have cast doubt upon even him. All this to say that, of course, there's no guarantee that Odegaard will click into another gear, however, you have to make provisions for these types of players who mature at different rates.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
From what i've seen of him, he lacks the physical tools to really kick on, right now. He's just turned 19, you'd think he should start improving on that aspect soon.