Martin Ødegaard - Next season

BarstoolProphet

He's fast becoming the player people expected him to be when the hype was at its peak. He's a wonderful footballer blessed with technique, vision and passing skills. Still wary about us signing him though, especially if you combine the mess we're currently finding ourselves in with the added pressure of being a Norwegian ("oh, there goes Ole signing Norwegians again, just like he did at Cardiff") under Ole.

Last edited:

Eriku

Omg take one for the team. Also you'd get a statue.

Edit: Seriously though if he's available + the OGS connection, it would blow up in your local news, right?
I’m sure we’d be hearing murmurs of such a connection if there were any. I imagine Ole will be hesitant to go for Norwegians for the first team, seeing as he did that heavily with Cardiff, and it becomes a ready-made rod for your own back if times are tough, or the player struggles to take to the level.

Personally I’m conflicted. I see Ødegaard as a superb talent, and coupled with his attitude I think he’d overcome any challenge put to him now that he’s matured. Then again, it’s a risky decision going to a club that’s in a bit of a malaise, in a much faster and more physical league. He might need a season to strengthen his body before we’d start seeing his best.

As a Norwegian I see this as potentially bad for Ole, potentially bad for Ødegaard, and I don’t think I could bear it if it didn’t work out for Ole, Ødegaard struggles with the speed and physicality, or worse, gets a serious injury. Not sure if other Noggies feel the same dread about the prospect of twinning Ole and Ødegaard’s fates in the near future.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Edit: Seriously though if he's available + the OGS connection, it would blow up in your local news, right?
We had livefeeds/cams following Ødegaard's every little movement from he started his European club tour until the hype calmed down in his second season at Castilla. We've had livefeeds/cams following OGS ever since he was put in charge. If Ødegaard somehow ends up at Ole's United the media literally won't write about anything else for months.

Jonty

No matter who we sign the media will make a song and dance about it, it's all part of the United merry go round. Ole needs to play the Norway card here, imagine signing a creative attacking midfielder who can play from the right. This is the type of signing the United rebuild needs.

hungrywing

I’m sure we’d be hearing murmurs of such a connection if there were any. I imagine Ole will be hesitant to go for Norwegians for the first team, seeing as he did that heavily with Cardiff, and it becomes a ready-made rod for your own back if times are tough, or the player struggles to take to the level.

Personally I’m conflicted. I see Ødegaard as a superb talent, and coupled with his attitude I think he’d overcome any challenge put to him now that he’s matured. Then again, it’s a risky decision going to a club that’s in a bit of a malaise, in a much faster and more physical league. He might need a season to strengthen his body before we’d start seeing his best.

As a Norwegian I see this as potentially bad for Ole, potentially bad for Ødegaard, and I don’t think I could bear it if it didn’t work out for Ole, Ødegaard struggles with the speed and physicality, or worse, gets a serious injury. Not sure if other Noggies feel the same dread about the prospect of twinning Ole and Ødegaard’s fates in the near future.
Got it. So it's an issue compounded by potentially severe regional optics, and this definitely won't be small issue in OGS's mind.

That being said, bolded part is important, I think. If it were me that bolded part alone would be enough to greenlight.

This is different from something like Moyes' taking his staff with him/signing Fellaini, for example. Moyes' moves reeked of a very particular brand of weak-minded/small time I'll-take-you-with-me-if-I-get-to-the-top that's very easy to suss out/pounce on.

In Ole/Odegaard's case, any foreign journalists seeking an angle along the 'favoritism/countryman' line would be comparatively easily shouted down due to Odegaard's ability/upside - providing we got him 'on the cheap', of course. Young player with good potential that any manager could have taken a chance on with pretty much just the normal concerns surrounding any transfer.

Anyway, bolded part is really important, I think.

We had livefeeds/cams following Ødegaard's every little movement from he started his European club tour until the hype calmed down in his second season at Castilla. We've had livefeeds/cams following OGS ever since he was put in charge. If Ødegaard somehow ends up at Ole's United the media literally won't write about anything else for months.
Roger. Basically under a microscope.

Lexxxzi

Someone in the Ziyech thread mentioned Odegaard is available. If you guys could like go over to his house and have a word.
I think I have been there already. :P

Now, there hasn't been any rumours about Odegaard going to Utd yet, so unfortunately there isn't much to discuss right now. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. This is also my third and last post for today, so you will have to wait for my brilliant and correct opinions to be announced for later. :D

Eriku

Got it. So it's an issue compounded by potentially severe regional optics, and this definitely won't be small issue in OGS's mind.

That being said, bolded part is important, I think. If it were me that bolded part alone would be enough to greenlight.

This is different from something like Moyes' taking his staff with him/signing Fellaini, for example. Moyes' moves reeked of a very particular brand of weak-minded/small time I'll-take-you-with-me-if-I-get-to-the-top that's very easy to suss out/pounce on.

In Ole/Odegaard's case, any foreign journalists seeking an angle along the 'favoritism/countryman' line would be comparatively easily shouted down due to Odegaard's ability/upside - providing we got him 'on the cheap', of course. Young player with good potential that any manager could have taken a chance on with pretty much just the normal concerns surrounding any transfer.

Anyway, bolded part is really important, I think.

Roger. Basically under a microscope.
English journos will definitely shout about Eikrem, Berget, Dæhli, etc. if he goes for Ødegaard.

Add to that that Real will not give him away without a buy-back clause, I don’t see it being the right choice for us.

And yeah, definitely under the microscope here in Norway. That’s why I’m so confident in talking about his attitude and character.

hungrywing

English journos will definitely shout about Eikrem, Berget, Dæhli, etc. if he goes for Ødegaard.

Add to that that Real will not give him away without a buy-back clause, I don’t see it being the right choice for us.

And yeah, definitely under the microscope here in Norway. That’s why I’m so confident in talking about his attitude and character.
Screw 'em. Odegaard's a couple levels above, no? Way too easy for other journos to counter with 'Are you saying Eikrem's on a similar level to Odegaard? He's a player anyone might have signed regardless of nationality.' Plus also easy for OGS to shrug off and make those journos look stupid.

Also also, it'd be glorious if they activated that buy-back clause only for him to give them the middle finger.

Jokes aside though; I do remember the Eikrem/Daehli talk and can imagine how it was for you guys.

Two bolded parts combine to form goddamitwhichisitatron.

Now, there hasn't been any rumours about Odegaard going to Utd yet, so unfortunately there isn't much to discuss right now. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. This is also my third and last post for today, so you will have to wait for my brilliant and correct opinions to be announced for later. :D
What the shit. Watch this space?

Last edited:

Eriku

Screw 'em. Odegaard's a couple levels above, no? Way too easy for other journos to counter with 'Are you saying Eikrem's on a similar level to Odegaard? He's a player anyone might have signed regardless of nationality.' Plus also easy for OGS to shrug off and make those journos look stupid.

Also also, it'd be glorious if they activated that buy-back clause only for him to give them the middle finger.

Jokes aside though; I do remember the Eikrem/Daehli talk and can imagine how it was for you guys.

Two bolded parts combine to form goddamitwhichisitatron.
Like I said, I picture it being a real possibility that he’ll be less ineffectual than we’d like the first season, as he acclimates to the speed and physicality of the PL. In addition to the pressures that come with playing for United, he’d then get favouritism added to the mix.

I was going to say that I believed in his dream of playing for Real, and that he’s been a Liverpool fan, but that was the case for Ole and he "got" the club, like so many of the winners seem to do.

I dunno, I just don’t picture United going along with a buy-back. Couple that with the disappointment that it would entail if I saw Ole struggle and fired, Ødegaard thrown into an uncertain situation and getting grief for being imported by Ole too early. Like I said, as a Norwegian the prospect of this makes me very uncertain.

If Ole went for it, I would trust that decision and be happy and excited... and be very :nervous:

Red_toad

We could start a rumour that he’s a makeweight in the Pogba deal :smirk:

Ekeke

All of Ødegaard’s touches.

Still a few things you wouldn’t expect from the finished product in terms of shielding the ball and decision making, but feck me... he’s so in control most of the time. He seems to have had a breakthrough season, and I reckon he might just take off from here. I’d expect him to be instrumental again in both matches against Utrecht, and hopefully he’ll have done enough to give Zidane a hard decision to make.
Looking good but most of his final passes were underhit

Eriku

Hadn't thought of the Ole - Norway link. Ajax would be the best move for the player though.
Champions League is 6 guaranteed matches, 12 if they make it as far as this season, which is a big if. I think Ødegaard would do well to go to a stronger league so he can take that next step and play against stronger opposition.

hungrywing

Like I said, I picture it being a real possibility that he’ll be less ineffectual than we’d like the first season, as he acclimates to the speed and physicality of the PL. In addition to the pressures that come with playing for United, he’d then get favouritism added to the mix.

I was going to say that I believed in his dream of playing for Real, and that he’s been a Liverpool fan, but that was the case for Ole and he "got" the club, like so many of the winners seem to do.

I dunno, I just don’t picture United going along with a buy-back. Couple that with the disappointment that it would entail if I saw Ole struggle and fired, Ødegaard thrown into an uncertain situation and getting grief for being imported by Ole too early. Like I said, as a Norwegian the prospect of this makes me very uncertain.

If Ole went for it, I would trust that decision and be happy and excited... and be very :nervous:
Okay so that's a yes. All you had to say.

(I totally get what you're saying)

Also:

Lexxxzi

The thing with Odegaard is he will be too good for Ajax next season. Most of their best players will be gone, and Odegaard will be the main star driving them forward again. And Odegaard has already owned Eredivisie... he needs bigger challenges. Utd would definately be an upgrade, however, I don't think it would be the best career choice.

Bloedrood

The thing with Odegaard is he will be too good for Ajax next season. Most of their best players will be gone, and Odegaard will be the main star driving them forward again. And Odegaard has already owned Eredivisie... he needs bigger challenges. Utd would definately be an upgrade, however, I don't think it would be the best career choice.
Owned eredivisie is a bit much, his statistics are not impressive enough to say that, doesn't show he has outgrown the eredivisie. Tadic owned the eredivisie, Ziyech also did, Odegaard not yet. Many players are also staying at Ajax, especially older players. He'd get better training and playing with them, just like De Jong and De Ligt did. And so far Ajax has been buying smart with Marin and Martinez, they'll have a solid team again next season. And he'd be certain of playing a bunch of CL games, and for the first time he'd be playing for a league championship, and would experience the pressure of having to win every single game. Vitesse and Ajax are on different levels, Vitesse might have ended in 5th place but they're closer in points to last place than they are to Ajax.

Last edited:

Lexxxzi

Owned eredivisie is a bit much, his statistics are not impressive enough to say that, doesn't show he has outgrown the eredivisie. Tadic owned the eredivisie, Ziyech also did, Odegaard not yet. Many players are also staying at Ajax, especially older players. He'd get better training and playing with them, just like De Jong and De Ligt did. And so far Ajax has been buying smart with Marin and Martinez, they'll have a solid team again next season. And he'd be certain of playing a bunch of CL games, and for the first time he'd be playing for a league championship, and would experience the pressure of having to win every single game. Vitesse and Ajax are on different levels, Vitesse might have ended in 5th place but they're closer in points to last place than they are to Ajax.

Uhm, it's waaaay more impressive what Odegaard has done for a mediocre team like Vitesse, than what Ziyech and Tadic have done for Ajax. Sorry, but you need to watch more of Odegaard before you make your judgement, because you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Bloedrood

Uhm, it's waaaay more impressive what Odegaard has done for a mediocre team like Vitesse, than what Ziyech and Tadic have done for Ajax. Sorry, but you need to watch more of Odegaard before you make your judgement, because you clearly don't know what you are talking about.
Maybe if someone has a different opinion than you not immediately start bullshit about them not knowing what they talk about, makes you look like an asshole. I'm Dutch and watch a lot of eredivisie football, even have seen him play live a few weeks ago in Amsterdam. Just because someone succeeds at a smaller club and are the big player there doesn't necessarily say they'll immediately do the same at a bigger club. Ziyech boasted much better numbers than Odegaard before he joined Ajax, at a worse performing club. Something he wasn't able to immediately replicate at Ajax, and he's actually improved a lot since he joined.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Has he won POTY in Holland or something?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Odegaard is better than Ziyech. He would absolutely dominate playing for Ajax or Real Madrid. People just don't understand how good he is.

People just live sticking to the same narrative. "Wonderkid moved to real Madrid. Oh Madrid kills players in their youth and the hype is all just that".

Truth is he's a wonderful player

Bloedrood

People just live sticking to the same narrative. "Wonderkid moved to real Madrid. Oh Madrid kills players in their youth and the hype is all just that".

Truth is he's a wonderful player
It's not that black or white necessarily. I think Odegaard has more potential than Ziyech for sure. But don't think Odegaard right now is better than Ziyech, but Ziyech is 26 years old, 6 years older. But if Odegaard continues like this he will be better than Ziyech, possibly even within 2 years. He should have a much brighter future ahead of him than Ziyech.

lysglimt

Scout
Maybe if someone has a different opinion than you not immediately start bullshit about them not knowing what they talk about, makes you look like an asshole. I'm Dutch and watch a lot of eredivisie football, even have seen him play live a few weeks ago in Amsterdam. Just because someone succeeds at a smaller club and are the big player there doesn't necessarily say they'll immediately do the same at a bigger club. Ziyech boasted much better numbers than Odegaard before he joined Ajax, at a worse performing club. Something he wasn't able to immediately replicate at Ajax, and he's actually improved a lot since he joined.
Ziyechs number for Twente were better and for a worse team than Vitesse yes - but he was also older than Ødegård. Ziyech played 2 Seasons from when he was 21 until he was 23. Ødegård turned 20 in december. And Ødegårds numbers are a bit misleading because they weren that great for the first half of the season, but in the second half of the season he has probably been one of the 2-3 best players in Holland.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He won't renew his contract with Madrid with Zidane being the manager. Madrid will be force to sell him with a buy back clause this summer to protect their investment, otherwise he will be leaving for free in 2021. He is not ready for Man Utd now not because he is not good enough, but he is not the one Man Utd needs right now to stabilize the ship, just like Tielemans.

Bloedrood

Ziyechs number for Twente were better and for a worse team than Vitesse yes - but he was also older than Ødegård. Ziyech played 2 Seasons from when he was 21 until he was 23. Ødegård turned 20 in december. And Ødegårds numbers are a bit misleading because they weren that great for the first half of the season, but in the second half of the season he has probably been one of the 2-3 best players in Holland.
I know he's younger, I'm not questioning his potential, I think it's higher than that of Ziyech. He definitely has time on his side. All I'm saying is that his succes at Vitesse doesn't necessarily directly translate to Ajax next season if he'd go there, being a big player at Vitesse doesn't mean you'll immediately be that at Ajax aswell, it might take 1 or 2 seasons to get to what Ziyech did this season. Ziyech took some big steps in his development since joining Ajax to get where he is now, Odegaard being younger does not say he won't need to make those steps, he might just get there faster.

I'm not even saying that Ajax would necessarily be the best step either, but still think it would be a good choice and he'd learn plenty in the next 2 seasons or so. I read he's being linked to Leverkusen aswell, which would also be a solid choice for him in my opinion, especially since they play CL aswell.

Last edited:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It's not that black or white necessarily. I think Odegaard has more potential than Ziyech for sure. But don't think Odegaard right now is better than Ziyech, but Ziyech is 26 years old, 6 years older. But if Odegaard continues like this he will be better than Ziyech, possibly even within 2 years. He should have a much brighter future ahead of him than Ziyech.
Yeah but I wasn't talking about you. There are many here who talk about how he never should have gone to Madrid or he found his level in the Dutch league. So quick to put a player in two buckets "next Messi/Ronaldo" or "total flop".

Fosu-Mens

I know he's younger, I'm not questioning his potential, I think it's higher than that of Ziyech. He definitely has time on his side. All I'm saying is that his succes at Vitesse doesn't necessarily directly translate to Ajax next season if he'd go there, being a big player at Vitesse doesn't mean you'll immediately be that at Ajax aswell, it might take 1 or 2 seasons to get to what Ziyech did this season. Ziyech took some big steps in his development since joining Ajax to get where he is now, Odegaard being younger does not say he won't need to make those steps, he might just get there faster.

I'm not even saying that Ajax would necessarily be the best step either, but still think it would be a good choice and he'd learn plenty in the next 2 seasons or so. I read he's being linked to Leverkusen aswell, which would also be a solid choice for him in my opinion, especially since they play CL aswell.
As long as he goes to a team that is dominant in possession, then he will be fine.

Bloedrood

Yeah but I wasn't talking about you. There are many here who talk about how he never should have gone to Madrid or he found his level in the Dutch league. So quick to put a player in two buckets "next Messi/Ronaldo" or "total flop".
Yeah, there was just too much hype around him when he was younger, unfair to put that onto a player of that age. I also think he shouldn't have gone to Real, but he's definitely still very talented and should develop into a top player. People maybe forget how young he still is because the whole transfer hype happened already quite long ago, so they think he never fulfilled his potential/promise when he's actually still in the progress of doing so.

Aloysius's Back 3

I'm starting to want this guy as our RCM.

It is slightly because of Ole being Norwegian, but I like potentially seeing Pogba & Odegaard as attacking minded CM covered by a defensive player like Rice or even Rabiot.

Bestietom

Taking a thread off topic
I just hope that we bring in Ndombele or Partey ( or both) for our midfield this summer.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Need this cnut to start performing for the national team starting tomorrow. Been constant hype for five years, now it's time to deliver.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think if we really want him, it won't be hard to reach an agreement with both Madrid and player. Madrid doesn't count with him and I'm sure Odegaard would welcome a new step up in his career.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Need this cnut to start performing for the national team starting tomorrow. Been constant hype for five years, now it's time to deliver.
I think that's an overall problem with Norway. Even when you have somewhat easier qualifying groups, you guys tend to loose points against much weaker opposition.

SoCross

With Hazard going there (presumably to play as the #10), wonder what role this kid will have.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He had a decent performance on instagram yesterday.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
With Hazard going there (presumably to play as the #10), wonder what role this kid will have.
Why Hazard should play as the #10 at Real? They played 4-3-3 most of the games and Ödegaard is playing as a CM or RW. Think he will go out on loan into a better league.