Martin Ødegaard - Next season

m1y2

Januzaj :lol:

His technique is up there with Hazard/Isco possibly Messi.
lets wait until he plays regular games, he played in a cup in which young zidane and lots of other youngsters were involved against the third league side?.. dont deny he's a special talent, if Zidane stays think he will get his chances slowyl but there's a long way

LouisDanGaal

It felt like watching Januzaj , maybe a little more. Talent is there in abundance, hope he carries the right attitude with it.
There is zero danger he will end up on loan at Sunderland. The difference between him and januzaj is absolutely enormous. I'm talking peak Januzaj who looked good.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
But he absolutely RUINED his career by going to Real Madrid and will NEVER play any football after they've refused to play him regularly when he was still 16-17.
Feckers on this site needs to get their head back in the sand.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
To be honest I thought he and his father took the quick money (I didnt blame or criticise that decision cos id have done the same) and I didn't think he'd get another contract at Real but that highlight real above shows some serious awareness of where he and his team mates are on the pitch, he was always credited with having good decision making but his movement even against a lower team looks amazing.

To those saying that it was only against a 3rd tier team, how often do our youth fail to show that much class against lower league sides? Remember MK Dons etc?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's a problem in my opinion. I won't go as far as saying there is some sort of agenda against him but I really do think the fraternity is sick of him and it's losing him 50/50 calls.
@Damien @Dwazza @Raoul

Which mod gone done went and fecked up by moving this into here from the Mou/Ref thread? :lol:

ash_86

The difference between him and januzaj is absolutely enormous. I'm talking peak Januzaj who looked good.
Talent wise? He seems to be on par with januzaj from what i've see. Agile quick winger , with ball stuck to his feet and can beat a man. As i said before, we need to see how he carries himself when press and media is gets to him. If he puts his head down and keeps working probably he'll top it. But still to early to judge.

LouisDanGaal

Talent wise? He seems to be on par with januzaj from what i've see. Agile quick winger , with ball stuck to his feet and can beat a man. As i said before, we need to see how he carries himself when press and media is gets to him. If he puts his head down and keeps working probably he'll top it. But still to early to judge.
Yeah in terms of technique, he is leaps ahead of Januzaj as far as I can see. Januzaj was brave and had good technique and balance but odegaards technique is exceptional from the brief glimpses I've seen of him. Would be shocked if he didn't end up at the absolute top of the game. Januzaj I could see at one point being a very good player, maybe even world class but odegaard looks like a potential ballon d or winner.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He's has much cleaner technique than Januzaj. It's not even that close.
He looks in complete control of his body and the ball. And he looks like he has the awareness and reading of the game of a player 10 years older.

Pretty much on the highest level of talent, by the looks of it. Yes, it's against a poor side, but he clearly has a ridiculous amount of comfort (and consistency) with a football at his feet.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Media has been on him since before he made his transfer to Real Madrid.

Dinghy

His vision and awareness on the pitch is second to none at his age. I've only seen a few Castilla-games this year, but he seems to have taken some steps in the right direction these last few months. Still needs to work on his finishing, though.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't see what's funny to be honest. He played 1 game in La Liga 2 years ago, how many games has he played since?

I don't think he'll get a chance there. Even Zidane will come before him in the pecking order in the games that actually matter.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't see what's funny to be honest. He played 1 game in La Liga 2 years ago, how many games has he played since?

I don't think he'll get a chance there. Even Zidane will come before him in the pecking order in the games that actually matter.
In yesterday's game I saw some physical improvement. Obviously he has gained kilos and has been in the gym, he has also shown an associative character that still does not have in some games with Castilla, as can be seen in the previous video against Athletic B, where there is an excess of 2 dribblings in every play.

I think there is a misconception in thinking that Madrid is improvising with his career. Valdebebas is a good academy that has formed many players for Madrid and the rest of the league.
His problem is not the technical quality, but the lack of maturity, lack of tactical knowledge and physique. I can not understand why he would play in a team in England or Germany if those are his flaws.
If he was not good enough or the club did not have confidence in him, he would not have renewed for 2.3 million euros net.
Carvajal, one of the best right backs in the world, was in Valdebebas until he was 20, and even then had to go on loan to Germany. Despite all he will have a career long enough.
I think Zidane is smart enough to know that Enzo has no level for Madrid, maybe his idea is to protect him and promote him,to be able to get a decent career, but it's just an opinion.

Enigma_87

You know who
In yesterday's game I saw some physical improvement. Obviously he has gained kilos and has been in the gym, he has also shown an associative character that still does not have in some games with Castilla, as can be seen in the previous video against Athletic B, where there is an excess of 2 dribblings in every play.

I think there is a misconception in thinking that Madrid is improvising with his career. Valdebebas is a good academy that has formed many players for Madrid and the rest of the league.
His problem is not the technical quality, but the lack of maturity, lack of tactical knowledge and physique. I can not understand why he would play in a team in England or Germany if those are his flaws.
He needs game time to develop if he's to become a special player. Fitness training and kickabouts in Castilla won't do him any good. He was in that very small bracket of really talented 15 year old players that broke early. But then at that age and given how football is at the moment 1 year in development is crucial. Take Morata for example - 3 years at Castilla, then 2 years with 2 games, reserve player for another two and when he become a starter at Juve he improved a whole lot. You need playing time, especially at young age. If he didn't do that he'd be another Jese. Germany is a good place to begin his career and probably like Carvajal can improve a lot. If he keeps playing in Castilla the rest will soon catch up.

If he was not good enough or the club did not have confidence in him, he would not have renewed for 2.3 million euros net.
He's a young asset that will be worth much more so it's more down to his resell price than showing confidence if you ask me.
Carvajal, one of the best right backs in the world, was in Valdebebas until he was 20, and even then had to go on loan to Germany. Despite all he will have a career long enough.
I think Zidane is smart enough to know that Enzo has no level for Madrid, maybe his idea is to protect him and promote him,to be able to get a decent career, but it's just an opinion.
Carvajal is a good example. If he didn't go elsewhere for game time he wouldn't made it at Real IMO.

Enzo will probably get a better chance due to father / son link, otherwise he won't be anywhere near the first team at this time.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I understand your point of view @Enigma_87 , but think that each player is different, Jesé has a very mischievous character and had a very serious injury when he was starting to get minutes.
You may be right at the point of the renewal, for a future sale, however seeing the demonstration of yesterday I do not think the club is so dumb to let him go in a short term.
It is not the same case, but imagine Messi(who also played in 2B) with 17/18 years, Barcelona would think, "why are we going to let him go, let someone else to form him and prepare him when we can do it ourselves and control his development.", perhaps that´s Madrid intention.
Anyway we will see soon, I think that him and Mariano will leave in the winter market.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I understand your point of view @Enigma_87 , but think that each player is different, Jesé has a very mischievous character and had a very serious injury when he was starting to get minutes.
You may be right at the point of the renewal, for a future sale, however seeing the demonstration of yesterday I do not think the club is so dumb to let him go in a short term.
It is not the same case, but imagine Messi(who also played in 2B) with 17/18 years, Barcelona would think, "why are we going to let him go, let someone else to form him and prepare him when we can do it ourselves and control his development.", perhaps that´s Madrid intention.
Anyway we will see soon, I think that him and Mariano will leave in the winter market.
When you say leave do you mean loan or be sold?
Why on earth would any team sell a young player with that level of talent?

Enigma_87

You know who
To be honest I think buy back options is the way to go(for United as well). A lot of the top teams are using this and in the case of Suarez, Morata, Courtois, Carvajal etc is working pretty good.

Loan deals are a big waste of time for us at the moment. Odegaard IMO will benefit a lot of a deal like that. He'll get the playing time and the stimulus to develop his game and still make it at the highest level. Works pretty well for you guys recently.

Enigma_87

You know who
When you say leave do you mean loan or be sold?
Why on earth would any team sell a young player with that level of talent?
Sell with a buy back clause is smart deal nowadays - you get some of the money based on potential, the other team pays his salary and plays him and you get him back for couple of millions more which for a big club is peanuts.

If he fails you hold no liability whatsoever.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
To be honest I think buy back options is the way to go(for United as well). A lot of the top teams are using this and in the case of Suarez, Morata, Courtois, Carvajal etc is working pretty good.

Loan deals are a big waste of time for us at the moment. Odegaard IMO will benefit a lot of a deal like that. He'll get the playing time and the stimulus to develop his game and still make it at the highest level. Works pretty well for you guys recently.
Yes, Luckily Madrid are copying to Barcelona and their care (not currently) with the academy. The academy always brought good players but for some time in the past it seemed that they bought foreigners that were worse than the national ones, a sensation that increased when Spain began to win.

Florentino has understood that with the academy he can finance the club (as with Morata before the buyback) and that perhaps it is easier to buy cheap young players than to pay 100 million (with exceptions)

Red_toad

That kid isnt even close to Odegaard in terms of technique and skill level. A bit hyped up by a desperate Scottish football scene

So comparing a 13 year old to an adult is a fair comparison now? Go figure....

donkeyfish

I'm happy for him, he does look like a wonderful player. Some talk of him going out on loan, which will probably be beneficial.

Like he glides on the surface sometimes, not many others has that technique. Especially not Norwegians

Red Stone

This thread recently makes me think people never even watched him and just got on his shit because he chose Real Madrid. I saw him live playing against Estonia for the Norwegian senior team two years ago just before he turned 16 (!!) and as soon as he came on the pitch it was obvious that he was on a completely different level to everyone else on the pitch in terms of technique, spatial awareness and ability to spot a pass. With better finishers he would have racked up a couple of assists in a 20 minute cameo. It was incredible to see. His games in the Noggie league during his breakthrough season were also phenomenal for a Norwegian player of any age, let alone a 15 year old kid.

Not saying choosing Real Madrid was the right move for his development, though. Just that the skills he showed in his recent game shouldn't surprise anyone who has actually seen him play.

Still not sure if he'll actually make it as a top level player either, but his potential is through the roof. He isn't even 18 yet even if it feels like he's been around forever at this point and he's still a scrawny guy. A player like Iniesta, who is similar in stature and style and about as good as anyone at the things Ødegaard bases his game on, didn't start playing regularly for Barcelona until he was 20. In other words, Ødegaard has about three years left to get good enough to start for Real Madrid regularly. That's plenty of time as long as he gets minutes on the pitch at an appropriate level.

Classical Mechanic

That kid isnt even close to Odegaard in terms of technique and skill level. A bit hyped up by a desperate Scottish football scene
His talent isn't hyped up I don't think. It is unfortunate that he has been willfully exposed to the media by the Scottish FA though. He is exceptional for his age and brings different attributes to Odegaard to the table as well, dribbling and goal scoring namely.

Even when every man and his dog was slagging Odegaard on here I backed his ability, that said, it is hilarious to see the script completely flipped after one good performance against a League 1 level side.

izec

What is his best position? 10, CM, wing? Reminds me of Isco position and style wise a bit

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He plays a good match vs some shitty 4th division opponent and the hype train is on :houllier:. Let's not get carried away there's been so many amazing - the nex big thing players in the past and we all know what happend later. Im still not sold on him

BarstoolProphet

What impressed me most about him in the Norwegian league, apart from the obvious technique, is that his vision and awareness made him look like a player ten years his senior. I've seen him live a couple of times and he was amazing both times. He's a down to earth kid with a solid backing from his family so I have no doubt he will go on to be a star player. Injuries permitting.

JoaquinJoaquin

He still wont make it at Madrid. Needs to move away if he is to salvage something from his career.