Martin Ødegaard - Next season

JoaquinJoaquin

Why wont he make it at Real Madrid?
As the position he plays is always stacked with 'bigger' names, and Real Madrid aren't the type of club that would bench a name for a young player unfortunately. He is at the age now where he needs to be playing alot more, and 1 cup game a season just isn't going to do it. He is very talanted but he needs the platform in which he can work on his strengths and iron out his weaknesses, which playing in youth teams now isn't going to help with. If he does want to make it at Madrid his best bet is trying to get a loan and excelling out on loan to the point that people sit up and take notice.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
He still wont make it at Madrid. Needs to move away if he is to salvage something from his career.
I don't necessarily disagree with you that he probably won't break through at Madrid, but the notion that a kid not even 18 years old needs to do anything to "salvage" his career is ridiculous!

JoaquinJoaquin

How can you possibly know that? He is still just a kid and has every chance to make it there.
I'm basing it on Real Madrid's history with young players. Talent wise he does, but it's the club I don't trust. Will always prefer to go with the 'bigger name'.

JustJackTheLad

Has anybody actually seen this guy play?

I've had him on my Southampton football manager side before so he must be good! Other than that, never heard a thing about his actual playing skills!

JoaquinJoaquin

I don't necessarily disagree with you that he probably won't break through at Madrid, but the notion that a kid not even 18 years old needs to do anything to "salvage" his career is ridiculous!
When I say 'salvage' I mean that at his age he needs the platform in which he can work on his strengths and iron out his weaknesses, which playing in youth teams now isn't going to help with.

MJJ

Has anybody actually seen this guy play?

I've had him on my Southampton football manager side before so he must be good! Other than that, never heard a thing about his actual playing skills!
What impressed me most about him in the Norwegian league, apart from the obvious technique, is that his vision and awareness made him look like a player ten years his senior. I've seen him live a couple of times and he was amazing both times. He's a down to earth kid with a solid backing from his family so I have no doubt he will go on to be a star player. Injuries permitting.
Literally the same page.

Skorenzy

When I say 'salvage' I mean that at his age he needs the platform in which he can work on his strengths and iron out his weaknesses, which playing in youth teams now isn't going to help with.
He isn't playing in youth teams.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He's 17. He will be learning so much just training with the Madrid 1st team.

Maybe a loan to a la liga side next season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
As the position he plays is always stacked with 'bigger' names, and Real Madrid aren't the type of club that would bench a name for a young player unfortunately
You mean, how they didn't bench james for casemiro?

Also? Since when is Odegaard not a big name?
He is at the age now where he needs to be playing alot more, and 1 cup game a season just isn't going to do it. He is very talanted but he needs the platform in which he can work on his strengths and iron out his weaknesses, which playing in youth teams now isn't going to help with. If he does want to make it at Madrid his best bet is trying to get a loan and excelling out on loan to the point that people sit up and take notice.
He plays for Castilla, not a youth team. And real madrid habe been trying to work out a loan deal for him in the summer, and likely will try again in january

ash_86

He's 17. He will be learning so much just training with the Madrid 1st team.

Maybe a loan to a la liga side next season.
He's earning £80,000 a week. Which club would pay that crazy money for a 17yr old.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
This thread recently makes me think people never even watched him and just got on his shit because he chose Real Madrid. I saw him live playing against Estonia for the Norwegian senior team two years ago just before he turned 16 (!!) and as soon as he came on the pitch it was obvious that he was on a completely different level to everyone else on the pitch in terms of technique, spatial awareness and ability to spot a pass. With better finishers he would have racked up a couple of assists in a 20 minute cameo. It was incredible to see. His games in the Noggie league during his breakthrough season were also phenomenal for a Norwegian player of any age, let alone a 15 year old kid.

Not saying choosing Real Madrid was the right move for his development, though. Just that the skills he showed in his recent game shouldn't surprise anyone who has actually seen him play.

Still not sure if he'll actually make it as a top level player either, but his potential is through the roof. He isn't even 18 yet even if it feels like he's been around forever at this point and he's still a scrawny guy. A player like Iniesta, who is similar in stature and style and about as good as anyone at the things Ødegaard bases his game on, didn't start playing regularly for Barcelona until he was 20. In other words, Ødegaard has about three years left to get good enough to start for Real Madrid regularly. That's plenty of time as long as he gets minutes on the pitch at an appropriate level.
Agree fully.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@BlueCelery yeah, but you're wrong. His technique is nowhere near as good as messi's, who's one of the 4-5 most technically gifted players of all time

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
@BlueCelery yeah, but you're wrong. His technique is nowhere near as good as messi's, who's one of the 4-5 most technically gifted players of all time
Messi is somewhere in the Top 10.

Ronaldinho, Laudrup, Iniesta, Zidane, Bergkamp, Maradona and the other usual names. I think Odegaard will be in and around that area.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The problem here is you are getting technique and skill mixed up. Hopefully you know the difference between technique and skill.
Skill is what really sets Messi apart, technically fantastic but its his skill which makes the big difference.

Janson

I'm not really qualified to judge since I haven't seen much of him but from those videos posted on last page, that 13 year old looks much better.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The problem here is you are getting technique and skill mixed up. Hopefully you know the difference between technique and skill.
Skill is what really sets Messi apart, technically fantastic but its his skill which makes the big difference.
Nope. Technique= touch, control of the ball, coordination, accuracy, balance.

@BlueCelery i'll give you maradona(duh), maybe dinho. Zidane, Iniesta, Laudrup and Bergkamp? No. Veeeeery close, but no.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
According to AS he will go to Rennes in January(was yesterday watching their match).In september he couldn't because was not 18 yet

Last edited:

Eriku

Hope to see him regularly for Rennes, then. Didn't do the likes of Dinho any damage to ply his trade in the French league.

I have such hopes for this lad.

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, an inordinate amount. And of course a few exasperated voices urging patience and perspective. The lad handles it really well, though.
That is quite interesting, considering his age.

I hope he works out for both of us haha