Martin Ødegaard - Next season

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
VVD is one of the handful of the very best players in the world, so I agree asking Ajer to reach that level of excellence is a bit much :) But, I do agree, Ajer has been phenomenal and couild become something very special, or at least a very very good PL player. He's in good hands in Celtic.
Buy Ødegård and Ajer and then lets see how Haaland develops

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I don’t know if Zidane fancies him or not. But he has a track record for always preferring his veteran players over going with young blood. I think Odegaard would have a hard time having regular playing time with Zidane.
Odegaard is 20... So yeah he may well.have a hard time becoming a first team regular at real Madrid
Looks a great prospect though and another season on loan wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him / Madrid

As for young players viniscus seems to have played quite a bit under Zidane and jovic has been involved in most games this year... Even rodrygo has had a couple of la Liga appearances This year so it's not like Zidane isn't giving them some opportunities.

Just checked... Odegaard has over 200 professional appearances (including internationals)... That's pretty impressive for a 20 year old and more than jovic and viniscus (both of who have 8 la Liga appearances This year which is the same as odegaard)

Eriku

I don’t know if Zidane fancies him or not. But he has a track record for always preferring his veteran players over going with young blood. I think Odegaard would have a hard time having regular playing time with Zidane.
Zidane's track record is pretty short, and his side was well-stacked when he inherited it. I reckon he knows what he's sitting on, provided Ødegaard keeps growing and retains the consistency he's been showing for almost a year now.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
179 games played at club level.

Real have managed his career quite well.

So much for all the hysteria on here when he joined Real saying it was a bad move.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

So much for all the hysteria on here when he joined Real saying it was a bad move.
The fact that they haven't destroyed his career before he turns 21 doesn't mean they've handled his career "quite well".

It's all thanks to Odegaard and his family, they sent him away to not so good destination loans, he was able to overcome that and behaved like a pro, now he's doing the same, to the point that he doesn't want to return to Real this summer because he knows he can use an extra season at Real Sociedad, any other youngster would be slamming the door down to come back next summer, or even this January, and surely a lot of people in Real Madrid would bring him back as soon as possible just to burn him earlier.

But it's not totally on Real Madrid, is their media, he's playing good right now but the media are selling him like he's the Messi of Anoeta, while most Real Sociedad supporters say that he's been good, but still a little inconsistent, and not even the best player of his team so far in the season. The same media that hailed Vinicius 8 months ago and are now turning on him are the ones preparing the hype for Odegaard, and so far, I don't see Real Madrid doing anything to stop them.

mav_9me

Ajax wanted to sign him at the beginning of the season but Odegard didnt want to sign for Ajax. Since that moment loads of Ajax fans said that "he isnt that good", "not better than Tadic or Ziyech" or that he is ruining his career. (Tbf they said that when he decided to sign for Madrid instead of Ajax when he was even younger)

Looks like Odegard had it right anyway. Signed for Madrid for big money, start playing pro matches for 1.5 season at Heerenveen, become one of the best players in the league while playing for Vitesse and now showing it at a higher level at Sociedad. Next step should be to show it at the highest level for Madrid or another topclub.

Just because it has so far turned out right does not make the original move right. Real have done nothing for him particularly. In fact lets see what Real finally does with him anyway. I think credit goes to him. He could have just as easily gone to Ajax, established himself and went on to a bigger club etc, the usual time tested way.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I thought he was quite poor when 11v11 today. Only noticed him when fouling my boy Lobotka.

Still, the talent is clear to see.

troylocker

Giant performance today! Total boss from start to finish, world class. The brain behind everything la Real does and mixed it up with an assist, a beautiful goal and 8 completed dribbles.....

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Top top player. Needs to get out of Madrid after this loan move, though.

0le

If Pogba goes to Madrid, do you think they'd consider Martin coming our way. Would he want to work with Ole and come to United?

Fosu-Mens

Being able to be a threat from range is what he has been lacking and has been a weakness in his game. It made it easier for the oppo to just contain him rather than press him and trying to take the ball. What is most impressing with that goal is the time it took from he received the ball until the shot is taken.

Acquire Me

Similar to Bale, Zidane is not that hot on Ødegaard. Sadly, it is not Zidane that decides the transfers at that club.
I think that Zidane would have taken Pogba over him any day of the week. It would be crazy to do so though.

izec

Hard to say, but i would give it a go for a season. There is a risk they might not fancy him and he would sit on the bench most of the time. He wont play a lot in midfield, but Real have some space on the RW. At Sociedad, he has a great position and role, not sure he will be given the same treatment under Zidane/at Real, see Isco. They pretty much shoehorn some players into their formation/tactics and they have to perform.

Eriku

Top top player. Needs to get out of Madrid after this loan move, though.
Why? He’ll be getting plenty of game time for Real, I reckon.

Similar to Bale, Zidane is not that hot on Ødegaard. Sadly, it is not Zidane that decides the transfers at that club.
That’s an assumption based on very little. He said he benched him for Castilla because he had a lot of pressure on him, and it made little sense to introduce him to the first team squad in his previous managerial stint at Madrid, as he would need more game time to develop. Unless you have any other points that indicate that Zidane won’t want to utilise Ødegaard?

Fosu-Mens

I think that Zidane would have taken Pogba over him any day of the week. It would be crazy to do so though.
I think for Zidane as a manager, PP would be better given the number of crosses they do each game, their "chaotic" style of play etc.
Would not surprise me to see Guardiola going after him at his next club. Suits his systematic and consistent dependent style perfectly.

Fosu-Mens

That’s an assumption based on very little. He said he benched him for Castilla because he had a lot of pressure on him, and it made little sense to introduce him to the first team squad in his previous managerial stint at Madrid, as he would need more game time to develop. Unless you have any other points that indicate that Zidane won’t want to utilise Ødegaard?
Statements from Ødegaard last season and this: "Zidane not god for my self-esteem" "I have not talked to Zidane....".
If he liked Ødegaard or seen him as a good player, he would have not let him go out on loan. His performances in Eredivisie last season would translate into a better team and against better opposition, unlike a certain winger brought to Arsenal from Lille recently.

GlasgowCeltic

Valverde is physically superior and won’t be moved anytime soon as the spare midfielder, next season would be one loan too many for Odegard, he will be sold with others like Ceballos, James and and Isco.

RoyH1

Valverde is physically superior and won’t be moved anytime soon as the spare midfielder, next season would be one loan too many for Odegard, he will be sold with others like Ceballos, James and and Isco.
I don't think they'll sell him unless he's part of a deal to finance a big superstar from somewhere. Ødegaard is only 20 and he's only going to get better. Modric is going to go/retire next season and Kroos is turning 30 very soon (the CAF is well aware of the perils of turning 30 :lol:). I think he's going to get his chance for at least season or two before getting sold. Him and Valverde could compliment each other nicely and unlike Isco or James, Ødegaard doesn't risk drowning in the Madrid nightlife.

Eriku

Statements from Ødegaard last season and this: "Zidane not god for my self-esteem" "I have not talked to Zidane....".
If he liked Ødegaard or seen him as a good player, he would have not let him go out on loan. His performances in Eredivisie last season would translate into a better team and against better opposition, unlike a certain winger brought to Arsenal from Lille recently.
"Having Zidane as my coach was a very nice thing, but it wasn’t good for my self-confidence.

Immediately followed by this quote:

"What an incredible technique he has. I could have gone to many clubs, but Real Madrid was a dream. They are the biggest club in the world and were the best option for me. There I trained with the senior team and played with Castilla under Zidane.

So yeah, I don't think you can use that quote to bolster your case.

And you could just as easily spin him getting loaned out as being to ensure his further development. He'd just gotten to grips with the Eredivise, and for all we knew he might need some time to get up to La Liga speed. Real Madrid wouldn't be able to accomodate his development like that, so it made sense to give him a year or two at la Real.

Kamprad

James, Bale, Ödegaard... I wonder if these guys were right-footed and bald would they be starters for Real now?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
James, Bale, Ödegaard... I wonder if these guys were right-footed and bald would they be starters for Real now?
Two of them don't deserve to be atm and the third will have his chance next year, unless he wants to stay in san sebastian another season

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Odegaard is a very physical specimen, contrary to Ceballos or James (or Isco btw, although Zidane likes Isco quite a lot). Of course I might be wrong, but I just don't see Zidane not considering him suitable for his search of a more dynamic midfield, especially when he's one of the best players in La Liga already.

troylocker

Valverde is a rightfooted midfielder, Odegaard is leftfooted. They wouldn’t really compete for the same spot. Odegaard is also a complete different type of player and is miles and miles more creative than Valverde.

Some numbers:
-Valverde has created 5 chances this season, an avg of 0,5 per match. Odegaard created 6 in yesterdays match alone, and along with Messi he is the most creative chancecreator in laLiga with an avg of 2,8 chances created per match.
-Valverde plays it safe and rarely takes on opponents, 5 complete dribbles this season. Odegaard had 8 yesterday, and averages on 2,6 dribbles per match.
-Needless to say that Odegaard has a lot more verticality in his game, that’s why is is interesting that Valverde has a similar passing percentige. 85,9 vs Odes 84,7
-Their defensive contribution is similar, with Valverde slightly ahead in interceptions and tackles.

I haven’t got their numbers for distance covered, but i know Odegaard is close to the top of those lists for laLiga, if not on the very top. Valverde does play a deeper role in the team than Odegaard in most matches, but I know which one I would play if I had both in my squad and could only play one of them. It would not be Valverde.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s the one player I’d feel fine about trading Pogba for. Sadly, I’ve not heard a word of interest from us, but if anyhow Pogba ends up at Madrid in the next year and we don’t try to get him in return i’d be pissed! But we seem obsessed with Maddison it seems.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He’s the one player I’d feel fine about trading Pogba for. Sadly, I’ve not heard a word of interest from us, but if anyhow Pogba ends up at Madrid in the next year and we don’t try to get him in return i’d be pissed! But we seem obsessed with Maddison it seems.
It's my understanding that Ødegaards sole focus is getting into Real Madrids first team. I don't think he wants to come here. Not because he doesn't want to play for Man United, but becaue he wants to play for Real.

That being said, I'd be happy if the club TRIED to trade for him using Pogba.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
First time in my life that I'm jealous of Norway. They have these shiny, young football things now that other people want. Real, Kvarme and himself have made continuously made good career decisions that have helped him grow.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's my understanding that Ødegaards sole focus is getting into Real Madrids first team. I don't think he wants to come here. Not because he doesn't want to play for Man United, but becaue he wants to play for Real.

That being said, I'd be happy if the club TRIED to trade for him using Pogba.
That’s been the case so far, but it’s one or the other for Real. If they intend to give him that chance, they wouldn’t go after Pogba. If they do go for Pogba, then it way change the thinking of Odegaard. Real haven’t bought a starting midfielder for years, I can appreciate the long term vision from the player. But moving for Pogba would show distrust in him I think. More so, if Real are willing to include him in any deal for Pogba then that will tell him whatever he needs to know.

mu4c_20le

Sign him up Ole. Play him behind Haaland, with Berge in midfield. The Norwegian Connection

Tarrou

I doubt Madrid would let him go for a direct swap with Pogba at this point

he's on fire this season

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Very good game though he lacked that final pass/finish. Big miscommunication with Willian José on a 2 on 1 late on might have cost them a win, though that was on willian josé as much as him

All in all, he looks like a better version of Isco. I mean right now. He's still 20 :drool:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Very good game though he lacked that final pass/finish. Big miscommunication with Willian José on a 2 on 1 late on might have cost them a win, though that was on willian josé as much as him

All in all, he looks like a better version of Isco. I mean right now. He's still 20 :drool:

I really like the way you prepared yourself for the future. Jovic, Vinicius, Rodrygo, Brahim Diaz, Ödegaard - you are already set up for the next 10+ years. Great work. No other team in the world has gathered so many world class talents as Madrid.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I really like the way you prepared yourself for the future. Jovic, Vinicius, Rodrygo, Brahim Diaz, Ödegaard - you are already set up for the next 10+ years. Great work. No other team in the world has gathered so many world class talents as Madrid.
I’d be extremely surprised if Brahim and Vinicius end up good enough for Real Madrid. Jury is still out on Jovic, I don’t think he’ll ever be given the no.9 position as his own, even when Big Bad Benz calls it a day.

There is also Hakimi and Reguilon out on loan, who both look impressive too.