Martin Ødegaard - Next season

eltigreFalcao

He wont get the desired amount of minutes if he were to come here. Just look ar VDB, he will sit in the bench and watch how little Ole actually rotates his team. That being said he is a lovely player, very skillful, I'd like to watch him thrive wherever he plays

Kamprad

He feels like a Man United player. The type Fergie would have signed.
I would easy swap him with Pogba. He can play on the right. He can learn to play in a deeper central role. He’s not that good defensively but Pogba isn’t that good either and Ödegaard runs and works harder than Pogba ever will. I’d say a direct swap with Pogba. What do you guys think?

CM10

He wont get the desired amount of minutes if he were to come here. Just look ar VDB, he will sit in the bench and watch how little Ole actually rotates his team. That being said he is a lovely player, very skillful, I'd like to watch him thrive wherever he plays
I don't think it will happen but Odegaard would be more of a natural fit for our side than van de Beek is currently. He could play any of the 3 positions behind the striker.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Martin didn't completely dominate so he went out of favour with Zidane in less than no time. The games he's played he's been either good, or just ok. He hasnt been bad, just lacked a standout performance. Not that any other Real players have been that amazing this season either, they are sorely lacking players with the Ronaldo factor.

But, that being said, Zidane is completely shafting him here. He wanted to remain in Sociedad for another year, Real took him back, and he's being repaid by being completely dropped after doing nothing wrong.

Ødegaard was the stand out player in La Liga last season, to be dropped for a B team player in a cup game is just beyond absurd.

Manchester United should strongly consider taking a punt here.
Yup, I don't like at all how the team has been handling him. The good thing is the club isn't willing to sell so it would be a loan only without buy out clause but I'm not sure if there would be many clubs interested in a deal like that. Given the circumstances I think he's going to end up a Real Sociedad which seems a good club for him at the moment.

Anyway I think Zidane's time as a Real Madrid is coming to an end as he keeps relying heavily in the old guard which isn't a good thing if we want to start building and developing the next generation to become the core of the team.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would be a great pick up for Arsenal, they desperately need a tempo player between the lines in central midfield and his level is miles higher than Ceballos so guess Arsenal will just send him back if that's possible for the loan.

Think it would make sense for all parties.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Would be a great pick up for Arsenal, they desperately need a tempo player between the lines in central midfield and his level is miles higher than Ceballos so guess Arsenal will just send him back if that's possible for the loan.

Think it would make sense for all parties.
Think Ceballos will probably stay until end of season as well. Talk in Spain that Sociedad & Sevilla are favourites over Arsenal, which is a bit unfortunate.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think Ceballos will probably stay until end of season as well. Talk in Spain that Sociedad & Sevilla are favourites over Arsenal, which is a bit unfortunate.
Not sure there's room for him at Sevilla as Fernando/Rakitic/Jordan is midfield trio that work for them unless they'll play him infront of them.

Was brilliant at La Real last season and they've lacked a bit of spark so will probably want him back especially given David Silva has missed loads of games injured so far.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
People talking about swapping him with Pogba when he's potentially going to Arsenal :lol: :lol: :houllier:
He's shown very little to prove he's good enough for the very top level so far.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Martin Ødegaard allegedly has chosen Arsenal

According to this local newspaper in the region of Sociedad reports that Martin Ødegaard will join Arsenal on a season long loan. Apparently Real Madrid prefers that over Sociedad as they are a contender for Champions League spots this season.

Not sure how I feel about this. I want Arsenal to be relegated, not move up the table.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
People talking about swapping him with Pogba when he's potentially going to Arsenal :lol: :lol: :houllier:
He's shown very little to prove he's good enough for the very top level so far.
He was the 2nd best player in La Liga for half a season, so there's that. He's had a worldie of a game against Real Madrid with Sociedad, so we know that he has the level to be up there.

He was the 2nd best player in La Liga for half a season, so there's that. He's had a worldie of a game against Real Madrid with Sociedad, so we know that he has the level to be up there.

Tom... is the above that “Worldie of a game”? Surely not? Can you link the Worldie game so I can have a watch?

This reminds me of people claiming Bailly is our best centre back and putting him in joint United Liverpool 11s. It’s just over blown .
All I see of note on that video is a shot that goes right through the goalkeeper and a lovely pass that should’ve been called 2 yards offside.

His Scandinavian mate actually look more impressive there.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Player of the month in LaLiga last September. Stats to compare with Messi that autumn before he got the Jumpers knee. In december that year he was ranked no.3 among all La Liga players on whoscored. Only Messi and Benzema had better score. I would say he proved what level he can be at. The problem was the jumpers knee injury, he was clearly in pain when playing and has not played regularly after the pains receded except a couple of games as a a starter for RM. He also had another injury after those games, and after he got well again, he has not started games. It will all depend on his fitness, his "level" is high enough to play at the "very top level" but he is still young and can and must improve .

Tom... is the above that “Worldie of a game”? Surely not? Can you link the Worldie game so I can have a watch?

This reminds me of people claiming Bailly is our best centre back and putting him in joint United Liverpool 11s. It’s just over blown .
All I see of note on that video is a shot that goes right through the goalkeeper and a lovely pass that should’ve been called 2 yards offside.

His Scandinavian mate actually look more impressive there.
Well, I agree he was not so good in that match. But his stats the first half season in La Liga before the jumpers knee were briliant, 3rd best in La Liga. That is key passes, chances created etc.

He was a lot better in other matches in my opinion. Here is some I found, Atletico, Ossasuna, Barcelona :

Here is a review of his season 19/20:

I do not expect him to be as good in Arsenal since after getting the jumpers knee injury he has not been the same, but also due to lack of match fitness. It might take a while but he will become brilliant again if injury free.

Renegade

I don’t think this a great deal for Arsenal if there’s no option to buy. 22 year old moving to a new league with Arsenals best performing players playing in his position in ESR & Saka. Expecting a huge impact in half a season is very high and if he does indeed do well then he goes back to Madrid or gets snapped up by someone else and having impacted ESR & Saka’s development.

Does this mean Willian on that big 3 year deal is now surplus?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t think this a great deal for Arsenal if there’s no option to buy. 22 year old moving to a new league with Arsenals best performing players playing in his position in ESR & Saka. Expecting a huge impact in half a season is very high and if he does indeed do well then he goes back to Madrid or gets snapped up by someone else and having impacted ESR & Saka’s development.

Don't think anyone is expecting him to come in and have a massive impact, we'll I'm certainly not.

We are in 3 competitions still, we are at risk of burning Saka out, & ESR has a very patchy injury record.

Willian has been shocking, that's for sure. We can't be Arsenal if we don't have deadwood taking up a big wage.

mu4c_20le

Imagine if he has a Bruno like impact, dragging them up into top 4 at the expense of Leicester again.

Wayne's World

Have Arsenal become a feeder club for Real Madrid or something? Didn't see his future being at Arsenal, albeit for 6 months

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I have read from time to time on Real Madrids forum. Most fans seems to want him to play and are quite upset at Zidanes behavour vs. their talents. If I were Ødegaard, I would want to try and get sold unless another coach comes to RM, one that wants him. Maybe if he does well, but not TOO well, Madrid will sell him to Arsenak.

For Arsenal, I do expect Martin to play well there, but not in the beginning maybe. He will fit into their playing style well, but have not played for long and he has been injured. I do not know if the jumpers knee will still keep his level and movements down a bit.

I guess he will rotate a bit also. I do expect him to help Arsenal to make their transitions improve, and to help create chances and distribute the ball. He also is very good at set pieces so maybe he will help out there. I doubt he will play winger. More like RM or CM.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I doubt he will play winger. More like RM or CM.
Depends on the formation arsenal go for I guess
If they go with wing backs (saka and bellerin) I could see him having a free role behind the strikers

If they go with a striker and a no10 plus two wingers he could play behind the striker or right wing

If they go with a 433 then I guess right midfield.

One of arsenal's problems seems yp be they try so many different formations that players like aubamyang and Saka end up all over the place... hope the same does not happen to him and arteta picks a system and sticks with it otherwise its going to be hard for him to adapt I think

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Yes, he has done rather well as a false 9 on the national team also. So that too might be an option yeah.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
At la Real last season his best form was number 10.

For Atleti game their midfield structure was Zubledia as Dm then Mikel Merino as the box to box midfield and Odegaard infront then front 3 of Portu-Isak-Oryzabal.

They were a regular 4-4-2 team the previous season but rarely played that once Odegaard was properly in the team. One time they started the three forwards and also had Januazj starting Odegaard was coming back from injury and one the bench.

Not sure how Real Madrid used him at start of the season but you don't play him out wide.

Would think with Arsenal it's fairly straightforward. Flat back 4 with Partey fit again then midfield trio of Partey-Xhaka-Odegaard and then Saka-Auba-Smith Rowe/Pepe infront of that.

No doubt Arteta will attempt to come up with some weird formation compared to that but think that will be decent for Arsenal and will mean they don't need to rely all the time on crosses to score as Odegaard is excellent at sliding through balls to the forward so Aubameyang will likely get his goal output up now and have a normal 20-25 goal season.

izec

It is always next season for him.

He should leave Real, top clubs will come knocking in a year or two anyway.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I think he was the best short-term option we could have gotten so i'm pretty pleased. Hopefully he's fit enough and can play a role in getting us a bit higher and at least get a EL spot.
Not sure we can have him and ESR at the same time on the pitch in that new "solid Arsenal" but maybe that will be tried to improve our goal scoring chances.

FatherWolff

At la Real last season his best form was number 10.

For Atleti game their midfield structure was Zubledia as Dm then Mikel Merino as the box to box midfield and Odegaard infront then front 3 of Portu-Isak-Oryzabal.

They were a regular 4-4-2 team the previous season but rarely played that once Odegaard was properly in the team. One time they started the three forwards and also had Januazj starting Odegaard was coming back from injury and one the bench.

Not sure how Real Madrid used him at start of the season but you don't play him out wide.

Would think with Arsenal it's fairly straightforward. Flat back 4 with Partey fit again then midfield trio of Partey-Xhaka-Odegaard and then Saka-Auba-Smith Rowe/Pepe infront of that.

No doubt Arteta will attempt to come up with some weird formation compared to that but think that will be decent for Arsenal and will mean they don't need to rely all the time on crosses to score as Odegaard is excellent at sliding through balls to the forward so Aubameyang will likely get his goal output up now and have a normal 20-25 goal season.
Real used him as advanced midfielder right behind the striker.

RyRoc

It is always next season for him.

He should leave Real, top clubs will come knocking in a year or two anyway.
I actually think he's finally coming around to it. If things go well at Arsenal, I can absolutely see him pushing to get a permanent move with or without Zidane as manager. This loan feels a bit different to the others he's had.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
We are in three competitions, including playing Thursdays in the Europa League, and there is no way that Saka and ESR can play every match or anywhere close without burning out given their ages and histories.

In terms of formation, I think it is simple. We have settled on a 4-2-3-1 in which the CAM and RW are technical creators and the LW and CF are more direct, goal scoring players. Saka, ESR, and Odegaard will rotate in the CAM and RW positions. Auba, Laca, and Martinelli will rotate in the LW and CF positions.

Hopefully this means we won't have to see Pepe, Willian, Nketiah, or Nelson very much.

cyberman

Replacing expensive flops with loan signings is suicide imo. They really have become a mid table club

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Replacing expensive flops with loan signings is suicide imo. They really have become a mid table club
What's the alternative ? Take a 40M bet on Buendia ?

RyRoc

Yes? That's what you will/should do next season anyways when Odegaard goes home
Nobody is paying that much for a Championship midfielder and certaintly not in a pandemic. I actually think this one of the rare good decisions Arsenal have made in the transfer market. They get a quality player for six months and in the summer get to make a long term decision on which player they spend big on (that could even end up being Odegaard if he impresses).

mu4c_20le

Nobody is paying that much for a Championship midfielder and certaintly not in a pandemic. I actually think this one of the rare good decisions Arsenal have made in the transfer market. They get a quality player for six months and in the summer get to make a long term decision on which player they spend big on (that could even end up being Odegaard if he impresses).
40m isn't much at all, how much should they spend then, 20m? Loans are for smaller clubs who cannot afford to buy someone, it's a desperate solution for when you've exhausted your transfer budget already but still need quality reinformcements.

RyRoc

Buy better!
You could argue that this loan actually allows them to do that in the summer when the market is usually always far easier and the pandemic situation might have eased as opposed to a panic buying someone now. Im usually against these sort of loan signings but feel this one makes sense for an Arsenal side that have badly been missing his kind of qualities in the first half of the season.

RyRoc

40m isn't much at all, how much should they spend then, 20m? Loans are for smaller clubs who cannot afford to buy someone, it's a desperate solution for when you've exhausted your transfer budget already but still need quality reinformcements.
I don't think people realise how much the pandemic will affect clubs spending. Arsenal, like all the big clubs probably have around an £100 million hole in their revenue due to not having fans in the stadium. 40 mil might not have been much in the past but right now it's a hell of a lot of money especially on a player who has just played one season in the Premier League. If loans are for smaller clubs - why do the likes of Real and Inter do it so much? It's certaintly a short term solution but when your side is missing creativity and a quality player like Odegaard becomes available it makes sense to go for it.

Edit - Juve not Real

cyberman

You could argue that this loan actually allows them to do that in the summer when the market is usually always far easier and the pandemic situation might have eased as opposed to a panic buying someone now. Im usually against these sort of loan signings but feel this one makes sense for an Arsenal side that have badly been missing his kind of qualities in the first half of the season.
But they will have players dropped that they need to sell that will lower their value will having a player become important that is leaving in 6 months.
Why cant they start a rebuild now? They might finish 7th instead of 9th if this goes through?
They could start a Madrid loan duo with Ceballos alongside him, its just too much imo. Its just another player who wont be there next year

RyRoc

But they will have players dropped that they need to sell that will lower their value will having a player become important that is leaving in 6 months.
Why cant they start a rebuild now? They might finish 7th instead of 9th if this goes through?
They could start a Madrid loan duo with Ceballos alongside him, its just too much imo. Its just another player who wont be there next year
They are still in three competitions - I think i'm right in saying Odegaard will be available for them in Europe? Also the bizarre nature of this season means despite being shite most of the season they are only 5 points off sixth and 7 points off the top four. I don't think they will get close to that but I'd imagine their odds will be reduced by having a quality creative player like Odegaard in their squad. It means they can consistently play the 4-2-3-1 formation that has given them success the last few weeks and not have to completely rely on a 19 year old. Also feel like the nature of their rebuild has started with some of the players they are getting rid of in this market. Arsenal have been such a badly well run club in recent years but this feels like one of their better decisions - time will tell.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Page 31 - people salivating over Odegarrd wishing he will come to United.

Page 33 - Arsenal are a mid table club loaning him.

Fantastic business in my opinion. Covid/January signings are difficult this year...I don't see many alternatives at this point in time. I'd rather have loan singings then waste money like we have done in the past. Our squad needs to settle and we still have a lot of dead wood. Permanent signings can be done in the summer window.

If all goes well having Odegaard on loan will help us to:
1) Push up the table
2) Create more chances and revitalise players like Auba
3) Morale boost
4) EL boost
5) Not play shite like Willian/Pepe/Willock

6) If he enjoys Arsenal may have a small chance to make it permanent. Being in London helps.

The January window is quiet for all teams this year. I don't really know what else we can do at this point. Just wait to summer to really kick on further.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal

Pretty much this. Pointless signing. He'll serve only to remove developmental minutes from our academy graduates.