Martin Ødegaard - Next season

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Buy better!
They could start a Madrid loan duo with Ceballos alongside him, its just too much imo. Its just another player who wont be there next year
Ceballos will probably not be here next year. Imagine we had bought him on improved wages on a 5 year deal ?
Buy better is great advice but you also need to understand that the last few years have greatly reduced the quality of players Arsenal can legitimately go for.
No CL, okay runs in EL, no chance in hell to compete for the league. That's not a great Powerpoint slide to recruit Werner, Cavani or these big names. Partey is an anomaly because everything lined up perfectly for us.
If Madrid had put up Odegaard for sale this summer, what would have been the fees in your opinion if United/Spurs got involved ? 30? 40? 50? We had to go until the last 2 days of the window to end up with "only" Partey because of a lack of funds.

We get him for 5 months, if it works, great it help us in the short term. If not, well, we tried and there was no real other alternatives without spending money we don't have. And it's already painfully obvious that without ESR/Saka, our play suffer instantly. Most people had no idea who Smith-Rowe was 6 months ago but if ESR gets injured we're back to playing weird formations to fit Willian/Pepe in and hope something happens.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pretty much this. Pointless signing. He'll serve only to remove developmental minutes from our academy graduates.
Which ones. Likes of Smith Rowe and Saka can still play either side of him.

I really don't think Nketieh and Willock are good enough at all and rumour is you'll look to sell both in next 6 months.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Which ones. Likes of Smith Rowe and Saka can still play either side of him.

I really don't think Nketieh and Willock are good enough at all and rumour is you'll look to sell both in next 6 months.
The current first choice front 4 is Lacazette, Aubameyang, Smith-Rowe & Saka.

You then have Reiss Nelson who is already struggling to get minutes and you have the likes of Pepé and Willian taking up squad space.

Nketiah, Willock and Nelson aren't looking like they'll make it here as it stands - but in my opinion we could at least use this write off of a season to give them an opportunity to change that.

Bringing in Ødegaard does absolutely nothing but take minutes away from somebody.

Play Ødegaard to what end? What's the goal here? I'd rather give the no. 10 slot to Smith-Rowe and use Willian as cover so that he can continue to prove that he's not good enough. Smith-Rowe gets valuable minutes and Willian will prove beyond doubt that he doesn't belong anywhere near the XI.

Win-win.

Reactions: Cheimoon

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Signing him would increase your chances of winning europa imo which would make huge difference to your finances going forward. You pretty much blacklisted Emery when he lost europa so it's very important to Arsenal these days.

Reiss Nelson done very little with his chances since he came back and Lacazette spent long spells on the bench under Arteta so hardly an undroppable player. Enjoy watching Willian again today? ;)

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Signing him would increase your chances of winning europa imo which would make huge difference to your finances going forward. You pretty much blacklisted Emery when he lost europa so it's very important to Arsenal these days.

Reiss Nelson done very little with his chances since he came back and Lacazette spent long spells on the bench under Arteta so hardly an undroppable player. Enjoy watching Willian again today? ;)
Willian offers absolutely nothing. I still haven't met a fan that can tell me what he offers. Playing him today was a necessary evil. Every game he plays and doesn't perform (which is all of them, since he never performs apart from his debut) should be more rope for the hanging.

I don't think we're good enough to win the Europa League- I don't even fancy us to make the next round (we have drawn Benfica) so there really isn't anything to play for.

Agreed on Nelson and Laca but it still doesn't justify loaning Ødegaard.

Now if we were talking about a permanent transfer I'd have a completely different attitude.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Thought he was going to stay in La Liga although ideally we would keep him and actually play him as at the moment we're a bit thin in midfield. So as long as he can get play time it seems like a good move for both him and Arsenal.

OleBoiii

I thought he looked decent today. He made two "mistakes" but he also made things happen and played several good passes. If Arsenal lack creativity and players who aren't afraid to assert themselves, then he's definitely gonna improve them.

Bwuk

I thought he looked decent today. He made two "mistakes" but he also made things happen and played several good passes. If Arsenal lack creativity and players who aren't afraid to assert themselves, then he's definitely gonna improve them.
He might be the man to help ensure Arsenal finish in the top 10.

redrobed

Im not being funny but if he was as good as the hype suggests why would he go to Arsenal? My bro is a big Madrid fan and also doesn’t rate him - says Arsenal is probably about his level

Eriku

Im not being funny but if he was as good as the hype suggests why would he go to Arsenal? My bro is a big Madrid fan and also doesn’t rate him - says Arsenal is probably about his level
It’s a loan. What matters is playing time and the strength of the league.

That’s harsh, if Arsenal’s his level then he’s done better than 99.9% of professional footballers. Our mega hyped Adnan would be over the moon if he could ever reach that level.

Norwegians have high hopes of course, but if he ends up permanently at Arsenal and their best player, that be a massive success for the lad.

It’d be stupid if anyone was to suggest that not making it at Madrid would be a failure for him.

FatherWolff

True. Not very insightful either! The guy is class! The way he moves channels and handle the ball. Always looking for a pass. But if your bro says so..

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Harry Kane, Frank Lampard and David Beckham all went out on loan when they were younger. Doesn't mean they're were not good enough, just not quite ready for the first team at their respective clubs at the time.

Also, how did you end up with a Real Madrid supporting brother? That's a strange combo (Man United and Real Madrid)!

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He did ok, too bad he missed that shot, could have gotten us a point. Willian coming on and killing dead every single attack did not help.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
If Pogba goes I'd like to see him with us. Or maybe we could use VDB alot more than present and promote from within.