Martin Ødegaard / signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoof the ball

Yes. Terrible take! Just said the same thing on goal points in two posts. Still think he is a better footballer. But haven’t looked at the stats of what I’m saying, so it might well be a terrible take. And saying this as a fan of Bruno, not as a criticism. Just think this fella is better.
Just for clarity. What you're saying is that Odegaard is technically better in terms of his general technique and his passing ability, but that Bruno is better in terms of actual productivity and influence. Am I right?

Having watched a few games of his the last week, and la liga last year, i actually think he is a better footballer than Bruno. Not close to goal points yet, but I think I think he is better.
:lol:

feck me. @Ekeke, I blame feckers like this for the bad name you lot are getting. I'm going all in here, this is the most stupid post I've ever read, on any forum, on facebook, on twitter, in The Sun, Fox News, Breitbart, you name it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yes. Terrible take! Just said the same thing on goal points in two posts. Still think he is a better footballer. But haven’t looked at the stats of what I’m saying, so it might well be a terrible take. And saying this as a fan of Bruno, not as a criticism. Just think this fella is better.
Agreed. Those are my favourite players. Those footballers that fail to impact a game. I wish we had more them.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Having watched a few games of his the last week, and la liga last year, i actually think he is a better footballer than Bruno. Not close to goal points yet, but I think I think he is better.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Irrational.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
:lol::lol:

:lol:

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Good Lord. My sympathies to Mother Wolff and all the little wolves.

troylocker

Think he’s been pretty underwhelming for Arse considering the hype.
Agreed. Those are my favourite players. Those footballers that fail to impact a game. I wish we had more them.
I like Odegaard. He has a fantastic left foot, brilliant technique and extreme football IQ, but I think he needs to loosen up and take more risks again, like he did at Vitesse and La Real. To compare him with Bruno right now is just silly, but to say he has no impact is wrong. He definitely changes the dynamic of that Arsenal team, and I think he’s only going to get better for them. There‘s a reason why all the big clubs in the world were after him as a 15 year old and RM still holds on to him.

Small sample size and could be coincidence, but the numbers are interesting:
Arsenal with Odegaard on the pitch: 15 goals scored and 9 conceded in 646 minutes
Arsenal without Odegaard on the pitch since he came there: 2 goals scored and 4 conceded in 344 minutes

dal

I’ve watched him three times for Arsenal and he looks ridiculously good on the ball.

He seems to constantly want it and is so comfortable on it.

I can see facets to his game that are potentially better than Bruno’s but he is NOT better than Bruno ffs.

There’s a lot of footballers who are better technically than Bruno but probably a handful who are actually a better footballer than him.

FatherWolff

Just for clarity. What you're saying is that Odegaard is technically better in terms of his general technique and his passing ability, but that Bruno is better in terms of actual productivity and influence. Am I right?
No. Im saying he is a better fotballer overall. His balance is better, his technique is better, his pass rate is better. His vision is better. He is stronger. He runs longer. His pressing is better - a lot better actually. He uses and create more space than Bruno, and he is more intelligent on the pitch. Bruno has marginally more pace. He is more aggressive and takes more chances, but he is also older and more experienced. Probably a better shot at the moment to. Bruno’s numbers are fantastic in goals and assists, I think Odegard is a better overall footballer. But I have only watched Bruno consistent at Utd, so I might be biased. I’m sure statistics doesn’t back me either. I’m that much of an idiot. And like one said. When he releases those last attributes of fun and aggressiveness, he will be a beast. Why didn’t we sign him?

FatherWolff

To early. Depends if he can get to his form of last year and can expand. Last year he was dribbling really well and being incredible creative. This season at Madrid and Arsenal, he isn’t the same. Not even attempting to dribble and playing a bit safe. At Arsenal he has still been good though, but not like the special player he was last year at Sociedad.

Hope its just a confidence thing and he will get there. If so the sky is the limit for him, has incredible potential. Still think he is one of the biggest talents in Europe.
He was fantastic up to his jumpers knee injury. Pretty shit after that. But I think I’m seeing some very good football from him at the moment, and I believe you are right about the risk taking. How many premier league games have he played? It will come.

passing-wind

I can understand to a small extent the argument of others being technically superior to Bruno, but I think when it comes to effectiveness there's the only comparison to be made with KDB. No other players have remotely the same credibility. Bruno is a world class player with an unorthodox influence. Odegaard is certainly quality, followed some of his performances in La Liga but he's still got a lot to prove in the English league.

Last edited:

Tarrou

I'd take him at United for sure

wonder how much Madrid will ask for him

Tallis

I am a fan. If his knees are ok, would love to bring him to Utd.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Quit watching football.

Bwuk

He's too good for Arsenal. He'll end up at a big club if he leaves Madrid.

AshRK

I think you are underrating Odegaard. He is better than zidane, scholes, pirlo too. I think zidane knew it and was jealous of Odegaard's technique that he benched him. I feel he will win balland'or if not this year but next year definitely.

And yeah bruno is shit, pen merchant.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bit of a snobbish style over substance vibe from the original poster. Aside from his very best season which was in Netherlands for Vitesse — Odegaard has never hit 10+ goals or assists in a season. If you want your number 10 to be more sleek, have stronger passing completion, and be a ‘more intelligent player’ — more power to you. I’d much prefer Fernandes’ high risk/high reward style of football that has seen him score 16 goals and achieve 10 assists, whilst also having the most chances created in the Premier League.

There’s a weird (albeit minority) on this forum who downplay Fernandes because he’s not quite as refined as the image of a playmaker that they want him to be. Remember that 3 week period where a few were cocksure James Rodriguez is better than him, ffs.

Admittedly this is a silly debate and a weird post by the original guy making the comparison, but hey.

justsomebloke

Obviously Bruno is having an impact that far exceeds what Martin Ødegaard is achieving in Arsenal. He's been PL player of the month more times in a year than any other player has ever managed in the same time period. He's probably going to win player of the year. He's the heart, spine and brains of this team, and I wouldn't trade him for anyone. In view of that, there's a question how you can argue that Ødegaard is a better footballer overall, just because you can name a number of areas where he's better. Not all areas of a player's game are equally important. And for an attacker, no area is more important than the ability to rack up goals and assists with the regularity Bruno is doing - to say nothing of the obvious and fundamental impact he has on how the team performs. With and without him, it's like two different teams. There's a difference between being a more well-rounded player and being a better player.

That being said, there's no need to go over-board in the responses. The points made about Ødegaards qualities, including relative to Brunos, seem more than reasonable to me, even if the conclusion isn't.

dal

He looks brilliant and seems to have taken to the premier league very well.

Also he’s Norwegian.

Does he work hard on the pitch?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
So, is he going to be a Gooner next year or a Goner ?
Surely Madrid finally takes a chance with him.

Skåre Willoch

So, is he going to be a Gooner next year or a Goner ?
Surely Madrid finally takes a chance with him.
I think he's back in Madrid next season. He'll replace Modric, whos contract expires this summer.

Is it the right move, though?

Red Stone

Ø

There you go, mods. Please put it in the thread title. My eyes are bleeding.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He looks brilliant and seems to have taken to the premier league very well.

Also he’s Norwegian.

Does he work hard on the pitch?
His workrate is one of the pleasant surprises so far. He not only gives his all on the pitch but he is also a very intelligent presser. Just a very smart footballer overall, you can tell by his movement if you spend some time watching him.

I won't even touch the comparison with Bruno, which I find ridiculous. But Odegaard is a very good player in his own right.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
yeah Bruno has proven himself, and constantly adds goals and assists. Ødegaard have done that only in Real Sociedad for a half season, but is a different kind of player. He is more like a game controller, a distributor with great key passes, he dictates tempo, opens spaces for other players and helps the team press and control the passing game He has great vision and technical ability. Silky smooth touch. He does have more in the locker though. A lot more. I think the injuries and switching teams every season has not helped though. If he stays with Arsenal now, I think we will see him gradually show his worth, and that he will again take more risk and get more assists and goals again. I miss when he did his insane dribbles and long shots, freekicks etc like in Real Sociedad and Vitesse.

But he has the potential. He just is the kind of player that needs confidence and a lot of playing time to play at his best.

If he stays injury free and finds stability, I have really high hopes for him to be among the most sought-after midfielders.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
To early. Depends if he can get to his form of last year and can expand. Last year he was dribbling really well and being incredible creative. This season at Madrid and Arsenal, he isn’t the same. Not even attempting to dribble and playing a bit safe. At Arsenal he has still been good though, but not like the special player he was last year at Sociedad.

Hope its just a confidence thing and he will get there. If so the sky is the limit for him, has incredible potential. Still think he is one of the biggest talents in Europe.
I have also noticed that. During the games he played, I felt that I was convincing myself that I had to be impressed by the expectations I had, but he was too shy and I did not like him. Much pass back, it seemed that Modric swallowed him in the field

FatherWolff

His workrate is one of the pleasant surprises so far. He not only gives his all on the pitch but he is also a very intelligent presser. Just a very smart footballer overall, you can tell by his movement if you spend some time watching him.

I won't even touch the comparison with Bruno, which I find ridiculous. But Odegaard is a very good player in his own right.
It really isn’t. I just had a glimpse at the numbers, and Odegard beats Bruno in the attributes I mentioned. No one can argue Bruno’s goal points or contribution to Man Utd. He has a 46% involvement in all our goals.

Take a look at Bruno’s Stats at the same age. He is not even close to Odegard even in goal points. That was something he developed when he signed for Sporting. More forward and straight in his runs, more aggressive and taking more chances.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The idea that Bruno is just a goals and assist player is ridiculously boring and stupid.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It really isn’t. I just had a glimpse at the numbers, and Odegard beats Bruno in the attributes I mentioned. No one can argue Bruno’s goal points or contribution to Man Utd. He has a 46% involvement in all our goals.

Take a look at Bruno’s Stats at the same age. He is not even close to Odegard even in goal points. That was something he developed when he signed for Sporting. More forward and straight in his runs, more aggressive and taking more chances.
Odegaard is 22 years old and scored 1 goal in league this season (600 mins). Last season 10 goal involvements in 2533 mins.

Bruno when he was 22 years old, he had 7 goals + assists in 1725 mins, before that 7 goals in 2115 mins.

Few basic stats when they were roughly same age. Comparing today's Bruno to Odegaard would be so one sided, it's not even worth the effort.

Bruno 2016-17Bruno 2015-16Odegaard this seasonOdegaard last season
Mins
1725​
2115​
617​
2533​
Goals
5​
3​
1​
4​
Assists
2​
4​
0​
6​
Mins per G+A
246.43​
302.14​
617.00​
253.30​
Key passes
2.7​
1.9​
1.6​
2.2​
Dribbles
0.9​
1.1​
0.7​
2.2​
Tackles
1.2​
2​
0.7​
1​
Interceptions
0.5​
2​
2​
0.6​
xA
4.48​
3.75​
0.74​
6.73​
xA/90
0.23​
0.16​
0.11​
0.24​

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Odegaard has the higher ceiling. Wish we can find some way of buying him.

FatherWolff

Odegaard is 22 years old and scored 1 goal in league this season (600 mins). Last season 10 goal involvements in 2533 mins.

Bruno when he was 22 years old, he had 7 goals + assists in 1725 mins, before that 7 goals in 2115 mins.

Few basic stats when they were roughly same age. Comparing today's Bruno to Odegaard would be so one sided, it's not even worth the effort.

Bruno 2016-17Bruno 2015-16Odegaard this seasonOdegaard last season
Mins
1725​
2115​
617​
2533​
Goals
5​
3​
1​
4​
Assists
2​
4​
0​
6​
Mins per G+A
246.43​
302.14​
617.00​
253.30​
Key passes
2.7​
1.9​
1.6​
2.2​
Dribbles
0.9​
1.1​
0.7​
2.2​
Tackles
1.2​
2​
0.7​
1​
Interceptions
0.5​
2​
2​
0.6​
xA
4.48​
3.75​
0.74​
6.73​
xA/90
0.23​
0.16​
0.11​
0.24​
Odegard just came back form 8 months with jumpers knee. I looked at what he did at la real. And I saw what he did against Tottenham. Which suggest he is back. Comparing last season of Odegard and 17 season of Bruno, is a good comparison on the age difference. But your stats dosent cover movement and areas. Where those key passes are. Hell, even last game Odegard had a 12% higher pass accuracy than Bruno. Ok, I’ll change it to a much more complete footballer. But the attribute difference stands. We all love Bruno, but I think this guy is better! And we can fit them both. Why the hell is he at Arsenal? They have just started using him regularly, and they won 4 and drew 1 in their last 5 games.
If you didn’t see him last year before his knee injury, just enjoy the night watching his Tottenham game. And by the way. If scouting a player, people look at the attributes I mentioned earlier. We need to sign this guy, absolutely no doubt about it.

tomaldinho1

Let's stop comparing players all the time - Bruno is a bit of an enigma (I don't even buy the KDB comparison) and his role and abilities are pretty unique. This lad, Ødegaard, looks really tidy on the ball and makes good decisions and it wasn't long ago he was being heralded in the same way Haaland was before he moved to Dortmund. Let's have a Norge revolution with Ole, Ødegaard & Haaland.

Pogba and £40m for Odegaard and Vinicius.

LM: Rashford/Vinicius
CAM: Bruno/Odegaard
RM: Odegaard/Amad
ST: Martial/Greenwood

Improves our attacking depth, adds different options (1v1 dribbling in Vinicius, wide playmaking in Odegaard) and allows us to spend the bulk of our budget on a midfielder and centre-back....before making a play at Haaland next summer - with the addition of his mate Odegaard putting us in pole position.

Did I just win real life Football Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.