Martin Ødegaard / signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Odegard just came back form 8 months with jumpers knee. I looked at what he did at la real. And I saw what he did against Tottenham. Which suggest he is back. Comparing last season of Odegard and 17 season of Bruno, is a good comparison on the age difference. But your stats dosent cover movement and areas. Where those key passes are. Hell, even last game Odegard had a 12% higher pass accuracy than Bruno. Ok, I’ll change it to a much more complete footballer. But the attribute difference stands. We all love Bruno, but I think this guy is better! And we can fit them both. Why the hell is he at Arsenal? They have just started using him regularly, and they won 4 and drew 1 in their last 5 games.
If you didn’t see him last year before his knee injury, just enjoy the night watching his Tottenham game. And by the way. If scouting a player, people look at the attributes I mentioned earlier. We need to sign this guy, absolutely no doubt about it.
Berbatov was better footballer than Haaland will ever be but everyone knows which player they will have in their team. Also Odegaard isn't better footballer, just because he can dribble better than Bruno doesn't make him better footballer.

What movement and area? Is that off the ball movement? Without checking, i would be very surprised if Odegaard ended up more goal scoring chances.

If it's the movement to receive passes, then I don't think Odegaard averages more passes than Bruno.

I agree with your point, the attribute difference stands but it's not in Odegaard favor like you believe.

Now the passing accuracy, just like in any other argument, it doesn't matter. It's just a difference of 3-4 passes per game, when one player is creating chances at insane rate, it doesn't matter if he loses ball 3-4 times more than other player, especially when the player is rivalling best players in the league when it comes to productivity.

Edit: I'm done with this. Everyone is entitled to opinion and all that.

Tallis

Odegaard has the higher ceiling. Wish we can find some way of buying him.
He should leave Arsenal immediately and never look back if that is the case. Why get involved in mid table mediocrity if you have a higher ceiling than one of the two best No 10s in the league.

FatherWolff

Berbatov was better footballer than Haaland will ever be but everyone knows which player they will have in their team. Also Odegaard isn't better footballer, just because he can dribble better than Bruno doesn't make him better footballer.

What movement and area? Is that off the ball movement? Without checking, i would be very surprised if Odegaard ended up more goal scoring chances.

If it's the movement to receive passes, then I don't think Odegaard averages more passes than Bruno.

I agree with your point, the attribute difference stands but it's not in Odegaard favor like you believe.

Now the passing accuracy, just like in any other argument, it doesn't matter. It's just a difference of 3-4 passes per game, when one player is creating chances at insane rate, it doesn't matter if he loses ball 3-4 times more than other player, especially when the player is rivalling best players in the league when it comes to productivity.

Edit: I'm done with this. Everyone is entitled to opinion and all that.
You lost me at Berbatov being a footballer and Odegard a dribler..

If you can’t see how complete he is, you can’t. But I agree. You are done. Just finished watching that Tottenham game again. Wow!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

If you can’t see how complete he is, you can’t. But I agree. You are done. Just finished watching that Tottenham game again. Wow!
If I was Norwegian, maybe I would have.

Tallis

Very good trolling.

Nick7

I like him a lot and didn’t even think he was that good against Spurs.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
He should leave Arsenal immediately and never look back if that is the case. Why get involved in mid table mediocrity if you have a higher ceiling than one of the two best No 10s in the league.
He's at Arsenal only temporarily, didn't you know that. It'd be a massive coup for us if we manage to sign him permanently. Hes of a level to elevate us into title contenders pretty much what Bruno did for you.

justsomebloke

Odegard just came back form 8 months with jumpers knee. I looked at what he did at la real. And I saw what he did against Tottenham. Which suggest he is back. Comparing last season of Odegard and 17 season of Bruno, is a good comparison on the age difference. But your stats dosent cover movement and areas. Where those key passes are. Hell, even last game Odegard had a 12% higher pass accuracy than Bruno. Ok, I’ll change it to a much more complete footballer. But the attribute difference stands. We all love Bruno, but I think this guy is better! And we can fit them both. Why the hell is he at Arsenal? They have just started using him regularly, and they won 4 and drew 1 in their last 5 games.
If you didn’t see him last year before his knee injury, just enjoy the night watching his Tottenham game. And by the way. If scouting a player, people look at the attributes I mentioned earlier. We need to sign this guy, absolutely no doubt about it.
Practically everyone has a higher pass accuracy than Bruno, who has by far the worst stats of our midfielders in that regard. The reason for which is that he plays lots of low percentage/high reward passes. Which is how OGS wants him to play. So that is not a measure of quality, but rather of his level of creative ambition.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's at Arsenal only temporarily, didn't you know that. It'd be a massive coup for us if we manage to sign him permanently. Hes of a level to elevate us into title contenders pretty much what Bruno did for you.
Mmm. Since he’s joined you’ve gone from 9th in gameweek 20 to 10th. :p

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Since we're going to hear his name pronounced wrong a lot now that he's playing in the PL, i'll just share a little fun fact.
There's no O or A sound in his name :lol:

ryadmahrez

He has started 7 games for Arsenal and 1 game where he came on in the first half. Results in those games: 5 wins, 2 draws (Benfica and Burnley) and 1 loss (Man City).

Good results. Obviously not all down to him. But he does help them control games. They were in control in all those games (bar Man City) and should have won them all. So even though his stats aren’t impressive, he has made a very good impact.

Pickle85

Drifts in and out of games a little from what I've seen of him. Very early days for him in the prem tbf and he's still young but would like to see him impose himself on games more significantly and more consistently. At the moment he looks very neat and tidy, decent close control and can move with the ball but doesn't get on it enough. As I say, early days and there are signs of his quality but I'm sure there's more to come.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Since we're going to hear his name pronounced wrong a lot now that he's playing in the PL, i'll just share a little fun fact.
There's no O or A sound in his name :lol:
I'll hazard a guess at it sounding like errdiguurd ?

Matriac

No it sounds like Ødegaard.

:)
aa is prounounced like å, and ø is, well, ø. Neither has any good comparisons in English, but I guess the closest is oe (short o) for ø, and how you pronounce the O in Off for the Å.

Eriku

aa is prounounced like å, and ø is, well, ø. Neither has any good comparisons in English, but I guess the closest is oe (short o) for ø, and how you pronounce the O in Off for the Å.
Short o? That definitely doesn’t cover the Ø sound. It’d be closer to the vowel sound in "bird" or "heard". Å I would say is something like the vowel sound in "all", or "small"

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

I'll be honest. I don't know what the feck you just said.

Matriac

Short o? That definitely doesn’t cover the Ø sound. It’d be closer to the vowel sound in "bird" or "heard". Å I would say is something like the vowel sound in "all", or "small"
Short/quick pronouncation of the o in oe. Which has been the usually accepted form, at least in spelling to help with the pronounciation instead of just straight replacing Ø with O.
But yeah bird and heard works.

All/small can work as well, but depends a bit in what words the å is used in, as Off works best if just pronouncing the letter Å by itself.

But may also vary from local dialects. So maybe we shouldn't clog up the thread by debating this here. :P

Grylte

Short/quick pronouncation of the o in oe. Which has been the usually accepted form, at least in spelling to help with the pronounciation instead of just straight replacing Ø with O.

All/small can work as well, but depends a bit in what words the å is used in, as Off works best if just pronouncing the letter Å by itself.

But may also vary from local dialects. So maybe we shouldn't clog up the thread by debating this here. :P
See no problem debating it, it's about the player, so why not? :)

That is impressively enough worse than saying O and A in the name :P

Yeah, pretty much spot on, and we also don't really say the D at the end, just to make it more confuzzling! :P
Honestly, some do, i think, but it's wrong in my book. A very good book, mind!

Matriac

Yeah, pretty much spot on, and we also don't really say the D at the end, just to make it more confuzzling! :P
Honestly, some do, i think, but it's wrong in my book. A very good book, mind!
I think that confusion may come from the gaard/gård kerfuffle.
As the Gård/Gården in bokmål does not really pronounce the d, whereas Gard/Garden in nynorsk does. Unless you go the te Gars way.

Football.

Eriku

Definitely. I personally don’t expect posters and pundits to get those right anyway. People doing the correct pronunciation of Fred and Ronaldinho would sound so pretentious anyhow :lol:

Grylte

Definitely. I personally don’t expect posters and pundits to get those right anyway. People doing the correct pronunciation of Fred and Ronaldinho would sound so pretentious anyhow :lol:
Not to mention some Dutch names like Gullit :P

It's just that people go out their way to say HAMEZ instead of James, so i figured we could try to get some of the Scandi names right in here too.

FatherWolff

Not to mention some Dutch names like Gullit :P

It's just that people go out their way to say HAMEZ instead of James, so i figured we could try to get some of the Scandi names right in here too.
That’s it! It’s Daviiid Hamez from now on! Our own little speedo Gonzalez

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Completely anonymous tonight.

Seems to go missing when the hard work starts.

A-man

Completely anonymous tonight.

Seems to go missing when the hard work starts.
Yes, but more interesting... looked like he was kissing Klopp’s arse after the match.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Was crap today.

One of the posters mentioned he has had jumpers knee (patellar tendonitis). Same problem Hargreaves had. It doesn't ever go away, it flares up and it just relaxes for periods of time. Will need a lot of luck to reach his potential

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Honestly I've been far more impressed with Smith Rowe than I have with Odegaard in the Arsenal games I've seen him in

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah another nothing performance.

Champ

Yes, but more interesting... looked like he was kissing Klopp’s arse after the match.
Good, hope he goes to Liverpool, another luxury midfielder!

Champ

Who looked good tonight for Arsenal tonight tho’?
True, but doesn't mean you can't work hard and stand out, he hid and offered nothing.

sourdough satellite

So Hearda-Gore then?

Eriku

True, but doesn't mean you can't work hard and stand out, he hid and offered nothing.
Yeah. It seems to happen when he jumps up a level, he needs time to start consistently impose himself. Hard to do when you hardly get a sniff, though I agree he could have been more proactive in making himself available. He also hasn’t been that ambitious in his dribbling and passing so far in the EPL.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
His pressing from the front was awful. Made Nat Phillips look like VvD in terms of composure on the ball. One sprint and he was tired, or was feeling his knees as someone mentioned above. He also has zero killer or non-killer pace.

From a creative perspective he is completely left footed. So easy for our midfield to cut his route to a pass, this is why Arsenal were going backwards most of the game. In that picture I really hope Klopp was just rubbing it in and laughing at him for going to Real for the money at 16 instead of getting proper development at another club. I know I've been laughing at him for the past few years.

Dembeza

I just came back from Arsenal Mania and I see they don’t mind if he leaves next season, some of them are saying they can’t spend more than 30m on him.
I wonder if our fans below have changed their position or they still believe he is better or will be better than Bruno.

Having watched a few games of his the last week, and la liga last year, i actually think he is a better footballer than Bruno. Not close to goal points yet, but I think I think he is better.
Odegaard has the higher ceiling. Wish we can find some way of buying him.
Let's stop comparing players all the time - Bruno is a bit of an enigma (I don't even buy the KDB comparison) and his role and abilities are pretty unique. This lad, Ødegaard, looks really tidy on the ball and makes good decisions and it wasn't long ago he was being heralded in the same way Haaland was before he moved to Dortmund. Let's have a Norge revolution with Ole, Ødegaard & Haaland.

Status
Not open for further replies.