Martin Atkinson

acnumber9

Not really his fault tbh, did look as though he was disallowing it at first, reckon he got the word through the ear what he should do and eventually made the right decision.
He was about to whistle when Smith Rowe shot and then stopped.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not really his fault tbh, did look as though he was disallowing it at first, reckon he got the word through the ear what he should do and eventually made the right decision.
It's totally his fault. Keeper was down for ages and ball was cleared from the box. At that point you blow the whistle.

SER19

If he whistled when he meant to its ruled out. Who knows why he stopped as an arsenal player fired at an empty net

Chipper

Adulterer.
If the keeper goes down injured you stop play no?
What's to stop a goalie feigning injury every time the ball is about to fall to an opponent outside the box or every time they try a through ball if you go with that?

acnumber9

because the ref has to wait until the ball is in goal/ out of play, so they can check it with VAR.
No he doesn’t. He can blow his whistle as soon as he sees the player down. Nothing VAR can do after that. Arsenal are ahead because they ref fecked up and he’ll know it.

Bwuk

De Gea needs to man up. Fred stood on his foot and him lying on the floor injured because he thought it was a Arsenal player cost us a goal.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If he whistled when he meant to its ruled out. Who knows why he stopped as an arsenal player fired at an empty net
Being objective he didn’t know De Gea was down and followed the ball. When he turned and saw De Gea the whistle was going straight to his lips and S-R took a snap shot before he could. He looked disappointed when it went in, like he knew the situation wasn’t right

acnumber9

What's to stop a goalie feigning injury every time the ball is about to fall to an opponent outside the box or every time they try a through ball if you go with that?
Because they never have before? Play is always stopped if a keeper is down injured.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's totally his fault. Keeper was down for ages and ball was cleared from the box. At that point you blow the whistle.
Keepers could just fall down and fake injury whenever they want to break up the pace of the game, or if they were expecting a shot in the near future.

SER19

Being objective he didn’t know De Gea was down and followed the ball. When he turned and saw De Gea the whistle was going straight to his lips and S-R took a snap shot before he could. He looked disappointed when it went in, like he knew the situation wasn’t right
He had it to his lips right before the shot. This is top level sport and he was indecisive

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This. You can't just blow the whistle because the goalkeeper decided to fall. It's a trick they use to relieve pressure sometimes, this time he got punished deservedly.

Rossa

Ffs, Fred was Even pushe i to ddg. Terrible ref. Again. How are footballers able to stop themselves from punching such refs I’ll never know.

OldSchoolManc

Ref saw goalie was down went to blow, not not knowing the shot had been taken.
VAR should have recognised that there was a recognition of an injured goalie before the ball crossed the line.
The problem is, VAR hasn’t got a clue

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He had it to his lips right before the shot. This is top level sport and he was indecisive
Watch it at full speed. He only saw De Gea as he turned around as Smith Rowe was shooting. He was half way to blowing the whistle as it went in.

It’s just one of those things, he wasn’t being corrupt and he was wasn’t incompetent.

I can’t stand Atkinson but there’s no value in being critical if you can’t be objective.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Because they never have before? Play is always stopped if a keeper is down injured.
Usually it is. In fact always as I've seen it too to be fair but I don't think it's actually in the laws of the game. I stand to be corrected, but I think they're still inly supposed to stop if a serious injury or head injury even for goalies and that convention is to often break the actual rules.

Still, I feel like if they came out and actually stated they would stop play any time a keeper is injured that it wouldn't be long before some exploited it. It's more of an unwritten thing than anything else.

acnumber9

Usually it is. In fact always as I've seen it too to be fair but I don't think it's actually in the laws of the game. I stand to be corrected, but I think they're still inly supposed to stop if a serious injury or head injury even for goalies and that convention is to often break the actual rules.

Still, I feel like if they came out and actually stated they would stop play any time a keeper is injured that it wouldn't be long before some exploited it. It's more of an unwritten thing than anything else.
The game is supposed to be reffed with common sense and discretion. This is one of those scenarios.

SER19

Watch it at full speed. He only saw De Gea as he turned around as Smith Rowe was shooting. He was half way to blowing the whistle as it went in.

It’s just one of those things, he wasn’t being corrupt and he was wasn’t incompetent.

I can’t stand Atkinson but there’s no value in being critical if you can’t be objective.
I'll watch it again. Suggest you do too though. Looks at de gea before it even falls to Smith rowe as i see it

acnumber9

That is not true. One famous example, Di Canio.
Which is probably why refs stop it now. That was over twenty years ago. Atkinson himself clearly knew he should stop play which is why he was about to whistle then chose not to.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

According to that Dale Johnson guy you're right, it isn't in the rules that you have to stop play when a goalkeeper is injured but they pretty much always do, precisely to avoid this sort of farce. Not doing so is mismanaging the game.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Which is probably why refs stop it now. That was over twenty years ago. Atkinson himself clearly knew he should stop play which is why he was about to whistle then chose not to.
Should you be stopping a game if you didn't see a foul clearly ? In this case, Fred ''fouled'' De Gea, we can't be blowing for that now. The right thing to do was wait for play to finish. It finished in a goal, and checked via VAR.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
What's everyone expecting him to blow for? There's no foul, no head injury...nothing.

Play routinely carries on for a few passes after a player goes down. Happens every game, to the point that fans end up heckling the opposition to finally put the ball out of play.

Until the whistle is blown or it goes out of play, it's active.

Just one of those things but if you want to blame anyone, blame De Gea for being a total mard arse.

Anustart89

Nothing makes sense in that situation.

Fred injures de Gea. Atkinson's about to blow for the GK injury so long after the incident that he surely can't be blowing for a foul. He changes his mind, then blows the whistle and cancels the goal for the injury, and then changes his mind again because the goalkeeper was injured by his own player.

Did he blow for a foul for de Gea 6-7 seconds after he went down? Surely not?

Anustart89

What's everyone expecting him to blow for? There's no foul, no head injury...nothing.

Play routinely carries on for a few passes after a player goes down. Happens every game, to the point that fans end up heckling the opposition to finally put the ball out of play.

Just one of those things but if you want to blame anyone, blame De Gea for being a total mard arse.
You haven't watched many games if you haven't noticed that the refs always blow up when the goalkeeper's down (for obvious reasons) even if it isn't a head injury. I don't know if you've noticed, but goalkeepers aren't required to leave the field after on-field treatment either. So there's a difference in how goalkeepers are treated.

acnumber9

Should you be stopping a game if you didn't see a foul clearly ? In this case, Fred ''fouled'' De Gea, we can't be blowing for that now. The right thing to do was wait for play to finish. It finished in a goal, and checked via VAR.
It’s irrelevant if it’s a foul. Refs always stop play for injured keepers regardless. Atkinson knew it which is why he was about to blow, for some unknown reason didn’t and then did when it was too late. It’s why he had to be told that the goal had to be given because he blatantly fecked up.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
You're starting a dangerous precedent. Just accidently stand on your keepers toes and get him to go down during a corner for a easy FK.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
because the ref has to wait until the ball is in goal/ out of play, so they can check it with VAR.
This is a different situation.

Normally they're supposed to to wait until the ball is in the goal before blowing their whistle. That way the goal can be either disallowed or allowed by VAR depending on if there was a foul or not. Whereas if they stop play before the ball in the goal can't be awarded by VAR even if there's no foul.

In this case we're not talking about a foul though but rather a goalkeeper injury. In this case he should just stop play, as happens 99% of the time when a goalkeeper is down injured. Because if he doesn't then the goal can't be disallowed as no foul occurred.

So where with a foul waiting keeps options open, in this case it doesn't. He should have just stopped play, as per normal.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
The rules say a keeper has to fit to play. I suppose in this case you could argue Atkinson didn’t have time to blow the whistle, but then surely VAR should rescind it?

i know I’d be pissed if it had happened against Liverpool :lol:

acnumber9

You're starting a dangerous precedent. Just accidently stand on your keepers toes and get him to go down during a corner for a easy FK.
It’s a precedent that has been set long ago and not led to that.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
It’s a precedent that has been set long ago and not led to that.
I can't remember the defending team hurting their keeper before. The whistle normally blows because the referee is certain it was a legitimate foul.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Stopping play when a goalkeeper is injured is the norm, precisely because it prevents situations like this from happening.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
You haven't watched many games if you haven't noticed that the refs always blow up when the goalkeeper's down (for obvious reasons) even if it isn't a head injury. I don't know if you've noticed, but goalkeepers aren't required to leave the field after on-field treatment either. So there's a difference in how goalkeepers are treated.
Yeah, from the literally thousands of games I've watched over 40 years of being a United fan, I've seen refs blow up over minimal contact when there's been an actual challenge on the keeper in the box.

This wasn't one of those. Because there was no challenge. Do keep up.

acnumber9

I can't remember the defending team hurting their keeper before. The whistle normally blows because the referee is certain it was a legitimate foul.
I don’t know what to tell you. Refs always stop play for injured keepers. Why do you think Atkinson was about to blow his whistle? Why do you think he blew his whistle when the ball went in? He knew he fecked up so I don’t know why so many are twisting themselves in knots to justify his feck up.

IrishMcD

Well could have given a penalty against Maguire near end of the half, another braindead moment from Captain Fantastic