Martin Atkinson

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don’t know what to tell you. Refs always stop play for injured keepers. Why do you think Atkinson was about to blow his whistle? Why do you think he blew his whistle when the ball went in? He knew he fecked up so I don’t know why so many are twisting themselves in knots to justify his feck up.
Exactly.

lsd

The Oracle
I don’t know what to tell you. Refs always stop play for injured keepers. Why do you think Atkinson was about to blow his whistle? Why do you think he blew his whistle when the ball went in? He knew he fecked up so I don’t know why so many are twisting themselves in knots to justify his feck up.

They clearly don't hence the Di Canio incident

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He has the fecking whistle to his mouth as Smith Rowe strikes the ball, it's clear he was about to blow, but bottled it.

acnumber9

They clearly don't hence the Di Canio incident
Over twenty years ago. A ball once went in off a beach ball too. Doesn’t mean that would be allowed to happen again and it doesn’t mean the ref didn’t feck up.

dove

He would have blown the whistle had he seen it. He saw it too late. It's 100% on De Gea. Unless your injury is severe, there is absolutely no reason to go down the way he did, turning his back to the play. It's just monumentally stupid.

Anustart89

Yeah, from the literally thousands of games I've watched over 40 years of being a United fan, I've seen refs blow up over minimal contact when there's been an actual challenge on the keeper in the box.

This wasn't one of those. Because there was no challenge. Do keep up.
Oh, give over. When a goalkeeper jumps into the post and hurts his shoulder/knee/any not head body part and is left lying on the ground, the referee always blows up to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Does he blow for a foul then?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I understand acnumber9, but just because referees always stop play doesn't make it right in my opinion.

Crimson King

Because there are a lot of 'United' fans on this forum that do their best to support the opposition, no matter who we play. I dunno, it's like it's uncool to actually just back the team?

It's like in the 00's when you were seen as a loser by a certain part of society if you liked a single Coldplay song. They're trying to be the anti-Coldplay mob, because they represent actual football fans, or something like that.

They're all just a pain in the arse.

Teja

Oh, give over. When a goalkeeper jumps into the post and hurts his shoulder/knee/any not head body part and is left lying on the ground, the referee always blows up to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Does he blow for a foul then?
I agree with this .. keeper is one of those special cases in football. If a rando player is down in the box, it's fine to not stop play.

ESR is also a twat for going for that after he sees De Gea injured.

chris123

The one thing no one has really answered... how long could the game have conceivably gone on for there? By the letter of the law it's a goal, but by the letter of the law, Arsenal could have continued playing it around the United box without a keeper until the ball goes out of play? If Smith-Rowe plays the ball out wide, does he blow his whistle and stop the game? if so, why? What's actually changed in that situation?

SER19

Watch it at full speed. He only saw De Gea as he turned around as Smith Rowe was shooting. He was half way to blowing the whistle as it went in.

It’s just one of those things, he wasn’t being corrupt and he was wasn’t incompetent.

I can’t stand Atkinson but there’s no value in being critical if you can’t be objective.
Saw plenty of replays at HT. He saw de gea go down far earlier than i even thought. When he sees him again at time of shot he simply has to blow.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Stopping play when a goalkeeper is injured is the norm, precisely because it prevents situations like this from happening.
It's the norm when there's been an actual challenge and the keeper pretends to have been impeded. In this case, there was no challenge. The whistle generally goes on the assumption there's been a foul more than anything else.

If this game is the precedent, you might as well get your CB to kick your own keeper every time there's a corner.

Denis79

Over twenty years ago. A ball once went in off a beach ball too. Doesn’t mean that would be allowed to happen again and it doesn’t mean the ref didn’t feck up.
Haha, De Gea fecked up not the ref. He tried to cheat and it backfired

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He clearly wanted to blow the whistle and would’ve done it earlier if he was fitter and more competent in general… but in the end, seeing as he hasn’t blew it, after that he did everything right.

AndySmith1990

Sometimes I shake my head at the stupidity of people. That was a clear goal, Arsenal had not done anything wrong. A keeper can't just decide to stay down after a team mate stands on his foot in order to stop the other team from scoring, it'd be ridiculous and lead to all sorts of cheating.

If we weren't such a bad team there wouldn't be so much abuse towards the refs on this forum.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's the norm when there's been an actual challenge and the keeper pretends to have been impeded. In this case, there was no challenge. The whistle generally goes on the assumption there's been a foul more than anything else.

If this game is the precedent, you might as well get your CB to kick your own keeper every time there's a corner.
No, it's the norm generally. Even in situations where the goalkeeper hurts himself (crashing into the post or twisting his ankle, say) the referee stops play. It has nothing to with it being a foul or not.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Haha, De Gea fecked up not the ref. He tried to cheat and it backfired
How do you know that he tried to cheat . De gea has never really done this . It's freezing out there so even minor injuries can hurt a lot

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That’s obviously not the point of that gesture. You stop when the goalkeeper is out injured. What is the glory scoring on an open goal? So so bad sportsmanship.
Nah. You play to the whistle. All players should play to the whistle. Professionals love to exaggerate contact. Rolling around is normal for something that shouldn't even cause you to fall down in the first place. What ever happened to fecking toughing through some pain? It's embarrassing. Fall down and roll around when the play is stopped if you have to. You're asking to look like an idiot if you do what De gea did. He's firmly the guy to blame here IMO. Was soft, got punished.

It does my head in when goalkeepers pretend to be injured just to stop play during a dangerous sequence. De gea does it all the time. Refs usually fall for it. Let the play run, let VAR determine if there should've been a foul called. Will teach goalkeepers to stop falling down and pretending to be hurt just to relieve pressure. How it was reffed right now is how it should be 100% of those situations.

Anustart89

The one thing no one has really answered... how long could the game have conceivably gone on for there? By the letter of the law it's a goal, but by the letter of the law, Arsenal could have continued playing it around the United box without a keeper until the ball goes out of play? If Smith-Rowe plays the ball out wide, does he blow his whistle and stop the game? if so, why? What's actually changed in that situation?
If Smith-Rowe plays that wide he blows the whistle. No doubt about it. He was about to blow the whistle even as the shot came in and then changed his mind last second. If there's no dangerous situation and he plays it wide he would've blown to have de Gea assessed.

Had he jumped into the post the whistle would've been blown as well with nobody complaining about any sort of foul or anything, so that just shows that it doesn't matter what causes the injury and that it has to be a foul by an opposing player.

That being said, de Gea's a massive coward who would rather stay down and let in a goal than play through a bit of pain for five seconds.

acnumber9

By the letter of the law it's a goal, but by the letter of the law, Arsenal could have continued playing it around the United box without a keeper until the ball goes out of play? If Smith-Rowe plays the ball out wide, does he blow his whistle and stop the game? if so, why? What's actually changed in that situation?
This is a great illustration of why he fecked up. Surely nobody can argue the ref would’ve allowed play to go indefinitely?

Becks_VII

It's just one of those things, if Atkinson blows up 10 seconds earlier nobody bats an eyelid. Once the ball goes in the net, as per the rules of the fame the goal has to stand. I just don't understand why he goes to blow up, then stops, only to blow as soon as it goes in the net. Still think DDG made an absolute meal of it!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How do you know that he tried to cheat . De gea has never really done this . It's freezing out there so even minor injuries can hurt a lot
Come on, De Gea loves a roll around and exaggerating every little contact. This time he was punished.

UnitedFan93

Hate Atkinson, but nothing wrong with his refereeing there. De Gea was embarrassing there, a coward.

acnumber9

That being said, de Gea's a massive coward who would rather stay down and let in a goal than play through a bit of pain for five seconds.
No doubt De Gea is a bit of a wimp but a smart player goes down if he’s hurting even a little. If he plays on injured and concedes who has he helped? Ref hasn’t done his job. De Gea’s bravery isn’t relevant.

MUFromLTU

What the f are you talking about. I can show you 100 incidents where GK goes down twisting ankle or hitting post and game is stopped every time.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hate Atkinson, but nothing wrong with his refereeing there. De Gea was embarrassing there, a coward.
Embarrassing. Coward. Just need Disgrace for bingo.

Atkinson moved his whistle to his mouth. Atkinson waggled his finger at the Arsenal player to say no goal after he blew. Clearly he would've stopped play immediately if he actually noticed it, as does every other referee in that situation. It's poor refereeing.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The only thing he got wrong was not showing a yellow to fred for fouling ddg.

Denis79

He simulated a serious injury, that's cheating. I've seen most players do this from goalkeepers to attackers (De Gea in the past as well). On any contact they simulate a serious injury, it's part of football. Sadly (for us) this time the referee didn't stop play

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
But none of that happened. There was no contact. Admittedly it's a bit of a grey area but there was no obvious challenge and it happened pretty quickly. Arguably Atkinson could've blown quicker but what's he blowing for exactly?

dove

It's just one of those things, if Atkinson blows up 10 seconds earlier nobody bats an eyelid. Once the ball goes in the net, as per the rules of the fame the goal has to stand. I just don't understand why he goes to blow up, then stops, only to blow as soon as it goes in the net. Still think DDG made an absolute meal of it!
I assume he stopped because the shot was basically already taken, he probably hoped that there was a foul on the GK and VAR would disallow the goal.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Do the referees have an obligation in the lawbook to blow the whistle when a player is injured?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
errrrrr. We would bat an eyelid because he was fouled by his own player.