Martin Atkinson

Falcow

I also feel like if you're awarded a retake then the same player should have to take it. I'm not sure there's a rule for it, but it's a bit of an oversight if not.
I never even thought of that, great point. Let's say it had to be retaken because of something the taker did, would they allow someone else to take it in that case?

Crimson King

I never even thought of that, great point. Let's say it had to be retaken because of something the taker did, would they allow someone else to take it in that case?
Do you mean like if they stuttered too much, or something like that? If they scored then yeah, make them retake it, same player. Maybe even just take the penalty away from the team completely, although you're really opening a can of worms there...

If they miss then it's a miss, would be unfair on the GK to give the taker a second chance.

They'd never make the player retake it if they scored, no matter how far a keeper came off the line. Some people might argue that it puts extra pressure on the taker the second time around, which I guess is the only argument I can see for letting them change the taker. I think it's a poor one though, especially using that farce last night as an example.

Dorris

I actually think this guys the best ref in the prem. other than a few years ago when he gifted Chelsea a couple of wins he’s always been decent to us. Annoyed me yesterday though, even though the man to blame is clearly Jon Moss

bsCallout

Prem refs always seem like the coppers that were bullied as kids. I can't shake that disdain for them all. They take so much of the joy out of games for me.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Does anyone know the rule for when the ref gives advantage after a foul? Yesterday Atkinson gave advantage to CP after Pogba fouled someone just inside our half but the player continued with the ball, then when McTominay came in and won the ball fairly in the next situation CP was awarded the freekick for Pogba's foul.

Surely the advantage is that you get to play on with the ball and continue attacking instead of the play being stopped, not a freebie to get the ball back if you happen to lose it in the next 5sec?

sugar_kane

Has anyone noticed this guy seems to get in the way of play more than any other PL referee? Maybe it's because I noticed it once and now I can't unset it, but it feels like he's consistently in the way in some cases to the point of blocking off potential passes. It's fecking annoying.

432JuanMata

I don’t think he has been that bad ? I don’t think it was penalty, Pogba was a yellow card. He is a crap ref but I have no complaints so far

432JuanMata

Baffling how that isn’t reviewed. It’s a foul anywhere on the pitch.

Jenas saying it was too soft for a pen?? He has every right to go down there.

Should have been reviewed.
Never would of been given. To be overturned on VAR it needs to be a obvious error from the ref.
I didn’t think it was a pen but I’ve seen them given. The problem with Var is the obvious error as if the ref gave it, it wouldn’t be overturned yet he didn’t so it also wouldn’t be overturned doesn’t make sense

RUCK4444

Never would of been given. To be overturned on VAR it needs to be a obvious error from the ref.
I didn’t think it was a pen but I’ve seen them given. The problem with Var is the obvious error as if the ref gave it, it wouldn’t be overturned yet he didn’t so it also wouldn’t be overturned doesn’t make sense
It’s simple though really...

Was it a foul? Yes
Did the ref obviously miss the foul? Yes

When that means a penalty is not given because a ref missed a foul then I’d constitute that a clear and obvious error.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don’t get why that isn’t a pen?
If that isn’t a pen I really don’t know what is. He lunged a leg across Ronaldo, blocking his path and making no contact with the ball.

Pickle85

If that isn’t a pen I really don’t know what is. He lunged a leg across Ronaldo, blocking his path and making no contact with the ball.
The ball was gone and Ronaldo ran into his leg. No pen for me.

Swedish_Plumber

Alan smith trying to say Ronaldo moved into the leg. Guarantee you if it’s the other way round he’s claiming a penalty.

Pickle85

By that logic nothing is a pen, the ball is always gone and away.
Not really. Would need to look at it again but from memory the ball was lost and he ran into the leg. Looking at impartial sources reporting it seems most agree.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Not really. Would need to look at it again but from memory the ball was lost and he ran into the leg. Looking at impartial sources reporting it seems most agree.
No he was potentially getting there, and does it matter? He got absolutely flattered.