Martin Atkinson

Varun

Staff
Not sure why anyone is surprised. Atkinson has been inept and giving poor decisions against for ages. Thankfully he also saved us on the AWB penalty so, well done to him.
That was an offside otherwise it'd have been given.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
feckin hell. Two bloody penalties we should have had.

Bellend needs to retire.

Dan_F

They won't talk about it because "United get screwed again by disgraceful refereeing decisions" doesn't fit the narrative they'll try to spin next time they quote how many penalties United get.
Well, yeah. That’s a more likely reason.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah Ronaldo went down awkwardly but he was running at the defender, slowly it down will look awkward. I think he changed his direction slightly and then his right knee ( which would be behind as he played the ball) collided with the leg of West Ham player. That should be penalty
I agree. Atkinson is just a hater for real.
His decisions weren't based on logic but emotions.

Micky Targaryen

T
That's as blatant a penalty as any you'd see but I wonder if Ronaldo going down rather easily twice prior to that influenced the decision.
The thing is, it’s not supposed to influence your decision. Just do the one feckin job you have and make the calls. If unsure, that’s what VAR is for. Simples. Ref did not bottle it, he knew exactly what he wanted to do.

POF

more to the point is who was doing VAR? Either doesn't know the rules or went for a pee!
Long pee. He must have been gone for 20 minutes! Made it back on time for the Shaw one though!

Someone

Something
Ole should definitely say something about it. What's the point of VAR if they don't know what a foul is.

RepardReece

The first one is a penalty clear as day, don't understand it can't be given after VAR as well. The second one you can see Ronaldo already going down before any contact, that's a correct non penalty call.
you're having a laugh right, the second one is a bigger error, who cares if he's going to ground there, does zouma get the ball, no, does he make contact with ronaldo, yes.

laughtersassassin

Hope he had his family home bet on a draw or something because he deserves to lose it with how bias he was in those last two minutes

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
you're having a laugh right, the second one is a bigger error, who cares if he's going to ground there, does zouma get the ball, no, does he make contact with ronaldo, yes.
What do you mean who cares? Ronaldo is going down even before Zouma touches him, that's a dive by definition. Zouma not getting any of the ball doesn't matter if he doesn't make contact on Ronaldo that makes him fall. Ronaldo touched Zouma as he was already falling over.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
The first one is a penalty clear as day, don't understand it can't be given after VAR as well. The second one you can see Ronaldo already going down before any contact, that's a correct non penalty call.
2nd one is even more nailed, Ronaldo doesn't break his stride until the end where he nicks the ball further forward with his left foot after realizing contact is coming. Since, when does a player anticipating contact and therefore going down result in a decision going against their favor?

Ronaldo was looking for a penalty on both occasion but that doesn't mean they weren't fouls.

parkthebuslads

The standard of refereeing continues to be appalling, VAR or no Var.

Rules lack clarity, decisions lack consistency and there's too little professionalism.

RepardReece

What do you mean who cares? Ronaldo is going down even before Zouma touches him, that's a dive by definition. Zouma not getting any of the ball doesn't matter if he doesn't make contact on Ronaldo that makes him fall. Ronaldo touched Zouma as he was already falling over.
alright, I saw a west ham player dive over pogba's foul earlier in the game, do you expect the player to run into his leg instead?

It's a clear cut penalty, are you sure you're not Atkinson himself trying to convince us you're not incompetent?

drdoityourself

His schtick is to get through each game trying to avoid big decisions. He will try everything to get away from red cards and pens.

My mate who is an Arsenal fan hates Mike Dean, they always come away from a game feeling aggrieved. Atkinson is United's Mike Dean.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
he’ll drive home tonight thinking that was a point that got away.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't know if he got a card but it was crazy. Ogbonna could have hurt himself by diving
I think that was Zouma, mate. Couldn't blame Pogba at all for losing it there. One of the many absurd decisions of the game.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He's one of our "elite" refs in the PL. Utter joke, and not reactionary here. Couldnt even call the stonewall penalty against Shaw correctly, yet spent time on VAR for it vs Ronaldo's 3rd challenge which had as much a chance of being called.

MadMike

I was gonna say he had shocker today, but there was nothing shocking about it to be honest this was par for the course for Atkinson

bk1991

About horlicks of a performance today. Two penalties missed for Ronaldo then to give that at the other end. :confused:

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Best league in the world and we have refs like this clown.

Still really mad about the pen he didn't give us. Decisions like that can very costly for teams and especially managers. How they can referee games like this and then get another game next weekend is beyond me in all honesty. Too shielded, it's time to stop it.

Amarsdd

the first is 60/40 but the second one is…. :lol:
Even on the first one, the defender plants his leg right across Ronaldo. Is Ronaldo supposed to jump and avoid that leg? For me, that one is also a stonewall penalty.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Both nailed on penalties. Appalling refereeing today.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The twitter detectives are on the case. Looks like he’s a Leeds fan. Explains a lot given how he’s reffed us over the years. Shouldn’t be allowed to ref us in my opinion.

Dobba

He's not bent, he doesn't possess the brain required to be so.

This is what you get when not only are you absolutely unaccountable to anybody, but even getting talked about after the game can result in a ban for a manager who does so.

Mindhunter

I for one think that it was more on VAR than Atkinson. VAR didn’t flag the Ronaldo decision as a clear and obvious error but did so for the
Shaw handball. I am pretty sure that he would have given a penalty had he had reviewed the challenge on Ronaldo. Either way, the Shaw one was a penalty and so was the challenge on Ronaldo.

The dive was still a foul against Pogba because he does barge in late even though there was no contact.