Martin Atkinson

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
What the f are you talking about. I can show you 100 incidents where GK goes down twisting ankle or hitting post and game is stopped every time.
You can show me 100 genuinely hurt goalies but none of them would be this. He didn't hit a post. He didn't twist an ankle. He went down under minimal contact from his own player and they scored. There's a reason why this feels different. Because it is.

UnitedFan93

Embarrassing. Coward. Just need Disgrace for bingo.

Atkinson moved his whistle to his mouth. Atkinson waggled his finger at the Arsenal player to say no goal after he blew. Clearly he would've stopped play immediately if he actually noticed it, as does every other referee in that situation. It's poor refereeing.
He took a massive gamble waiting for a freekick. He clearly isn't that injured as he's playing on perfectly fine. Why should Arsenal have a goal ruled out due to a lack of organisation in United's defence?

lsd

The Oracle
Over twenty years ago. A ball once went in off a beach ball too. Doesn’t mean that would be allowed to happen again and it doesn’t mean the ref didn’t feck up.

You said the referee always blows up yet now know of at least 2 incidents where they didn't

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He took a massive gamble waiting for a freekick. He clearly isn't that injured as he's playing on perfectly fine. Why should Arsenal have a goal ruled out due to a lack of organisation in United's defence?
Did I say the goal should be ruled out? Atkinson should be stopping play long before the situation even occured.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The goal shouldn't have been ruled out, once it has been allowed it should stand. That's why VAR allowed it.

The point is that the ref should have stopped play before the goal was scored, so there wasn't anything to disallow. He even had the whistle to his lips but didn't stop play. Because after the goal had been allowed and he then wanted to disallow it, he couldn't.

The Dane

Come on, De Gea loves a roll around and exaggerating every little contact. This time he was punished.
Difficult to blame DDG as I think most will find it difficult to get up on your feet right after an incident like that. Had he known that he was injured by his own team mate and that he did not have to get up on his feet to save that weak shoot he probably would’ve acted differently.
You also cannot blame Atkinson. The rules are the same weather it’s a weak shoot like this or he blasts it up in the far corner and then we would not have argued against the goal.

UnitedFan93

Did I say the goal should be ruled out? Atkinson should be stopping play long before the situation even occured.
As a goalkeeper, he don't curl up into a ball on your line waiting for a freekick; see out the danger and then go down. If Atkinson had blown up Arsenal would've been massively hard done too despite playing no part in De Gea's 'injury'.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I really thought that he wouldn’t even listen to VAR. Smug cnut.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
How was he so certain from his angle of view, baffling.

Jackal981

Martin Artcuntson. What a moron. Stonewall pen and he waved it off with his smug face.

Fredrik.A

Fecking joke. The clearest penalty of the year and he tried his best not to give it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He didn’t need to give the pen live. His view was from behind so he let it go to VAR and gave it as per the guidelines.

I can’t believe I’m defending Atkinson but people really need to be more objective.

arnie_ni

Good to hear mccoist actually call him out and say he should have gave it first time

arnie_ni

He didn’t need to give the pen live. His view was from behind so he let it go to VAR and gave it as per the guidelines.

I can’t believe I’m defending Atkinson but people really need to be more objective.
It was a simple decision and should have been given first time round.

Kaos

Even Ally McCoist called him out for it live. This guy has been making a shocking decision everytime he refs our games for years now.

Will celebrate the day he fecks off just like Clattenburg did.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It was a simple decision and should have been given first time round.
They’re advised to let the game roll if they have any doubt. He didn’t have 5 camera angles he had one angle behind both players and there’s no way he could have seen the contact he might not have had a clear view. Without VAR he might have seen it as a likely penalty and given it but that’s what VAR is for, he left it to them, they told him to review it, he did and he gave the penalty.

There is literally nothing to complain about, he gave the penalty.

OldSchoolManc

The balance is definitely in favour of ABU refs for the last 5 years.
It’s not even contentious.
Klopp even gets away with encouraging them.

arnie_ni

They’re advised to let the game roll if they have any doubt. He didn’t have 5 camera angles he had one angle behind both players and there’s no way he could have seen the contact he might not have had a clear view. Without VAR he might have seen it as a likely penalty and given it but that’s what VAR is for, he left it to them, they told him to review it, he did and he gave the penalty.

There is literally nothing to complain about, he gave the penalty.
Are they advised to let it roll? Because that means "clear and obvious error" is bollocks if the ref can wave play on if he isn't 100 percent sure.

That's a genuine question and not me being snarky or a dick

UnitedFan93

QUOTE="sullydnl, post: 28169667, member: 68769"]
The goal shouldn't have been ruled out, once it has been allowed it should stand. That's why VAR allowed it.

The point is that the ref should have stopped play before the goal was scored, so there wasn't anything to disallow. He even had the whistle to his lips but didn't stop play. Because after the goal had been allowed and he then wanted to disallow it, he couldn't.
[/QUOTE]
It's probably best not to fall down to ground and curl up into a ball on your goal line whilst defending a corner in the first place, especially when you don't have a serious injury, then Atkinson wouldn't have a decision to make then.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Are they advised to let it roll? Because that means "clear and obvious error" is bollocks if the ref cab wave play on if he isn't 100 percent sure.
Ref’s have always been under guidelines to not give any penalty they’re not 100% sure of.

UnitedFan93

QUOTE="sullydnl, post: 28169667, member: 68769"]

[/QUOTE]

It's probably best not to fall down to ground and curl up into a ball on your goal line whilst defending a corner in the first place, especially when you don't have a serious injury, then Atkinson wouldn't have a decision to make then.

arnie_ni

Ref’s have always been under guidelines to not give any penalty they’re not 100% sure of.
I took your wording of that to be...

The league telling the ref

1. Don't blow, var will make the decision for you.

On the same hand telling var...

2. Only over rule if its clear and obvious.