Martin Ødegaard / signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

I somehow don't think they would ever need to activate that particular clause.
Do Arsenal have a policy on clauses? There was a quite a bit of chat around Haaland that one of the reasons he did not sign here originally is that Mino insisted on a release clause and we would not entertain that as it would set a precedent. Do Arsenal feel that way about release/buyback clauses?

Robbie Boy

Do Arsenal have a policy on clauses? There was a quite a bit of chat around Haaland that one of the reasons he did not sign here originally is that Mino insisted on a release clause and we would not entertain that as it would set a precedent. Do Arsenal feel that way about release/buyback clauses?
Most elite clubs most probably wouldn't accept them tbh. Not really sure where Arsenal fall in terms of elite clubs these days though.

Abraxas

Even 35 mill seems a big sum for what he has actually produced in his career. At what point do the videos of him bursting onto the scene as a 10 year old pale in significance compared to the idea he has actually done very little and is now coming up to 23 years old? He's more reminiscent of Freddy Adu than somebody that appears to be on a meteoric rise to the top.

However Arsenal are in a position where they have to take these gambles as the truth is they're not going to be acceptable to more established players currently.

Mike Smalling

Except for breaking through at an extremely early age in Norway, has he actually done anything to warrant the hype? Genuine question, as I haven't been following his career closely.

Magz

Except for breaking through at an extremely early age in Norway, has he actually done anything to warrant the hype? Genuine question, as I haven't been following his career closely.
He was La Liga's best player during his season for Real Sociedad.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
No, he hasn't. The brutal truth. I don't even think there's any hype again. He's a good player. Tough to say if he'll ever be a top one.

Varun

Staff
Yes he was pretty fantastic on loan at Sociedad

NotThatSoph

From a Redcafe perspective where it's GOAT or bust? No, certainly not yet and likely not ever.

A Norwegian bossing La Liga at Sociedad and at 23 looking at a potential move to (a weak) Arsenal where he'll be an integral part of their midfield judging by last season is an insane accomplishment. Of course now there's Haaland so people won't care as much.

Very few people can become the best in the world, not succeeding at Real Madrid is not a failure.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Most elite clubs most probably wouldn't accept them tbh. Not really sure where Arsenal fall in terms of elite clubs these days though.
Not sure why clubs shouldn’t perceive it as a loan in which the buying club can actually make a profit from it.

SoCross

Theoretically, he’d make Arsenal a better team. But not sure if Arteta and the current Arsenal are the best to make the most of him. Doesn’t strike me as a player who’d come in and have a transformative effect either.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure why clubs shouldn’t perceive it as a loan in which the buying club can actually make a profit from it.
Clubs can look that way but most big clubs wouldn't, especially when they are good financially. Also no club want to lose player without them dictating the price for the good players

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was La Liga's best player during his season for Real Sociedad.
In the league where Messi players the chances of this is 0 and if it's possible its less than 0.

Thought he'd finally kicked on during that first half of 19/20 at Sociedad, he really was fantastic for a few months. Hasn't done much since though and while he improved Arsenal last season by simply being a warm body who possesses some creativity, he didn't really significantly move the needle for them. The price reported is very good though, and he's still young and talented so could end up quite a quality player, but like others have said probably not a top one. Especially not under the current management at Arsenal.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Is he really good though? Heard him being hyped a lot in here over past few years, but never seen much of him.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He will turn out to be a bargain for Arsenal I think.

Rojofiam

I think he's a very good player and Arsenal will rely a lot on his creativity, good signing IMO

Would much rather have him for 35m than Maddison for 80

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
€50m sounds about right. Think he will be a good signing for them.

Will probably need a manager that doesn't have a head full of Lego to thrive, but that is true for the entirety of the arsenal squad.

lysglimt

Scout
He is a very good player - but is he really what Arsenal needs ? Arsenal is a team of lightweight, technical players.....he is just another one, even if he is better than what they have in that role

dal

Arsenal need a player who effects the game all the time, like Sanchez when he was there.

Smith Rowe and Odegaaard are nice to haves. One of them needs to score consistently.

They need a Rashford and a Bruno and a Maguire something I don’t think they’ll get unless they get lucky or have £300 million to spend.

troylocker

Looks to complete a permanent deal with Arsenal now for 32M £ +. Will be interesting to see if he can find his feet again there this time. He's been a shadow of himself the last 20 months.

Dve

Ødegaard was at his best last half of the season for Vitesse and first half of the season for Real Sociedad before he got injured. During these months, I´d say he did everything to warrant the hype. When he got back to Real Madrid, he still struggled with injuries and got a difficult start of the season which ended in him wanted away to get game time. If he can stay free of injuries and have some stability around him, I´m convinced he can still be a world class player.

Status
Not open for further replies.