Film Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

SuperiorXI

Felt like a cinema trip, checked my two nearest cinemas and this stupid new Marvel film has basically taken ownership of 90% of the screens, leaving very few slots for other movies.

Feels like the death of cinema. Piss off.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Why say that though? Why say “I’m crying”? You’re not crying. Can people please stop saying that. It’s even more annoying than Marvel movies. See also “I’m dead”. Feck off with that an’ all.
Screaming.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
That's criticism I can't get behind. If you don't want to lose out on the cool projects, maybe don't accept other jobs for the money. Nobody forced her to do that shit.

Sweet Square

That's criticism I can't get behind. If you don't want to lose out on the cool projects, maybe don't accept other jobs for the money. Nobody forced her to do that shit.
Yeah I don’t feel that sorry for her. She is loaded from acting in these shite films/tv shows but doesn’t take away from the fact actors and directors can be tied up for years and years. Just a waste all round.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I haven't read past the tweet, but voicing one's frustration with their own situation is not the same as crying about the cruel, cruel world. And in a broader sense it's indeed a problem if Marvel ties up "all" the popular actors, that could make a proper movie more commercially viable/successful.

caid

Signing up to 5+ movies at a time is a huge commitment. I totally get why it would be a bit shit to turn down the lobster for 20 mins in Avengers 6

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Signing up to 5+ movies at a time is a huge commitment. I totally get why it would be a bit shit to turn down the lobster for 20 mins in Avengers 6
Well, then don’t. It’s not like she needs the money. She’s swimming in it. She just wanted a deeper money pool to swim in.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Well, then don’t. It’s not like she needs the money. She’s swimming in it. She just wanted a deeper money pool to swim in.
I mean MCU is a soulless franchise and generally actors are people who get into their profession for their love of the arts. Turning down roles that fulfil your desire to express your art because you're contracted to something that is akin to a mass produced toy straight from a factory in China, is, I assume, somewhat disappointing.

Last edited:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I mean MCU is a soulless franchise and generally actors are people who get into their profession for their love of the arts. Turning down roles that fulfil your desire to express your art because you're contracted to something that is akin to a mass produced toy straight from a factory in China, is, I assume, somewhat disappointing.
Sure it is. But she’s not financially dependent on the factory shit. She could’ve done independent stuff all the time. She actively chose not to. She’s not getting my sympathy. She’s lying in a bed of her own making.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Sure it is. But she’s not financially dependent on the factory shit. She could’ve done independent stuff all the time. She actively chose not to. She’s not getting my sympathy. She’s lying in a bed of her own making.
I mean she probably didn't know what roles were likely to come up when she signed the contract, and breaching or terminating the contract probably isn't worth it...

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I mean she probably didn't know what roles were likely to come up when she signed the contract, and breaching or terminating the contract probably isn't worth it...
And you believe she expected to play an actual character with emotions and shit, when signing for Marvel? Did she think she’d be portraying captain Texas‘s struggle with alcoholism? Or did she think she’d end up portraying the long lost daughter of Tony Stark in a black and white road-movie set entirely in rural Arkansas with a Sufjan Stevens Soundtrack? She knew what she was doing, she had the finances to do something more rewarding, but she decided to give in to greed. Which is fine and all. But she really should stop whining about it.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Harsh takes in here. She's easily the most likable of all the Olsen's

Lest we forget, Mary-Kate was married to Nicholas Sarkozy's banker brother. MCU greed is tame by comparison
I don’t blame her for cashing in. I blame her for whining about it. It distracts from the very justified criticism that Marvel is so deserving of.

lsd

The Oracle
I don’t blame her for cashing in. I blame her for whining about it. It distracts from the very justified criticism that Marvel is so deserving of.

True but the more people who moan about them the better and hopefully will persuade fans to look elsewhere when they see that even the people in these films know how bad they are

They are the Apple of films they could literally make a film of themselves laughing at the people watching telling them how dumb they are too keep falling for it and it would be be a success

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
True but the more people who moan about them the better and hopefully will persuade fans to look elsewhere when they see that even the people in these films know how bad they are

They are the Apple of films they could literally make a film of themselves laughing at the people watching telling them how dumb they are too keep falling for it and it would be be a success
Literally

kthanksbye

They're not movies anymore, they're products, carefully packaged to appeal and attract teens and pre teens, that's the age they're targeting, that demographic sells more tickets because the parents have to accompany the kids, and the younger customers you make the longer you have the customers for.

That's why all the costumes and lack of personality in the characters, because 10 years later they'll need a different actor to play the same character, and this can continue till they can sell tickets. The multiverse is such a lazy and obvious idea to keep making movie after movie.

cafecillos

That trailer looked awful, but the actress chosen is a perfect casting choice, she was fantastic in an otherwise unimpressive series (Orphan Black) I saw with my partner a while back. What is funny though is the grown-ass men in this forum who really are following all the shite Marvel churns out more fervently than any teenage fanboi. It's not as if Disney would be producing things like Landscapers on a monthly basis if these mostly-for-children shows didn't exist, is it? I understand it's the persona some have created for themselves in here to try to stand out and they find it hard to get out of character, but it's a bit embarrassing sometimes.

lsd

The Oracle
They're not movies anymore, they're products, carefully packaged to appeal and attract teens and pre teens, that's the age they're targeting, that demographic sells more tickets because the parents have to accompany the kids, and the younger customers you make the longer you have the customers for.

That's why all the costumes and lack of personality in the characters, because 10 years later they'll need a different actor to play the same character, and this can continue till they can sell tickets. The multiverse is such a lazy and obvious idea to keep making movie after movie.

They were never movies and were always products

stevoc

They were always products, though to be fair no studio Greenlights funding for a movie without hoping to make a profit off it. All movies are products.