Martin Tyler

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Oh, so now you're all fans of Tyler? :lol:
When he sounds biased against United, I get pissy but I know he's commentating the narrative really, like he did today.

Most expensive teenager in football history scoring on his debut against club's biggest rivals to decide the match is a big deal. He probably had that line rehearsed.

Cina

Tyler reacted like a lunatic to a few Suarez and Gerrard goals as I recall, then there's the Aguero goal, and quite a few Arsenal goals, and a few of our goals too.

Basically I don't think he has a particular dislike or bias, I think he just goes with the moment, that Martial goal made my mate, who isn't a Utd supporter, go bonkers too, it was one of those moments and that's why Tyler reacted like so.

If Benteke's goal was more meaningful he probably would have had a far bigger reaction to it, too, but like everyone he sort of went "wow that was special but almost meaningless"

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Embarassing commentary. Any moment in the game that has a significance. i.e like today Martial, dream debut, price tag, sealed winner against all of teams Liverpool, it's the perfect advert for himself. You can sense he has his lines rehearsed on standby for when it happens, its cringeworthy.

I remember years ago when Torres first game for Chelsea was ironically against us, and he was through on goal before Carragher blocked his shot, he was dying for him to score so he could say what he wanted to say. I understand united fans loving his moment today, he is usually glum with your lot when it comes to scoring goals, hopefully you'll all go back to agreeing he's a cnut soon enough.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Embarassing commentary. Any moment in the game that has a significance. i.e like today Martial, dream debut, price tag, sealed winner against all of teams Liverpool, it's the perfect advert for himself. You can sense he has his lines rehearsed on standby for when it happens, its cringeworthy.
That's how all good commentators operate. You want fitting commentary for fitting moments because it will be shown and shown for a long, long time.

The co-commentators add the spontaneity.

m1y2

I think he must have put a bet on that Martial scores... by the sound of it ..

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

I remember years ago when Torres first game for Chelsea was ironically against us, and he was through on goal before Carragher blocked his shot, he was dying for him to score so he could say what he wanted to say. I understand united fans loving his moment today, he is usually glum with your lot when it comes to scoring goals, hopefully you'll all go back to agreeing he's a cnut soon enough.
It's not embarrassing or cringeworthy at all. It just adds to the moment, rehearsed or not. He almost had an orgasm when Gerrard scored against olympiakos for instance or Aguero against QPR.

He may be a cnut (not sure why though) but he's brilliant at what he's supposed to do.

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I think Martin Tyler is the best football commentator

I don't see any anti United bias in him at all

Those who do would likely see the fawning sycophantic deference to Utd shown regularly by Clive Tyldesley as proof of objectivity

Any truly objective commentator has to call it as he sees it which means good and bad as appropriate

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
That's how all good commentators operate. You want fitting commentary for fitting moments because it will be shown and shown for a long, long time.

The co-commentators add the spontaneity.

R'hllor

Dont think that was because he likes United or Martial,he did it for him self and his legacy i guess.Maybe i am wrong but got that impression by listening Gary N. podcast,where he reminded Gary in one moment about Macheda goal,after which he said something weird like (its not 100% quote) "It was also in my voice" or something like that,deleted file and cba dling it again.

Minimalist

Tyler did that loud YES because he's Martin Tyler. Not because he loves United.

He's definitely an Arsenal fan and at best, maybe he just wanted Martial to score due to whole 'new Henry' label.

He would probably have reacted similarly if the Benteke volley wasn't so damn out of the blue (I mean seriously, who thought that was about to happen when it did?).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think he's a great commentator... always has been, and I've never really got this "oh he doesn't like United" nonsense.

He's a commentator, he's paid to make games sound exciting, and 99% of times he does a superb job of it.

El Zoido

His commentary was fine, he just loves a story. I personally think he's the best in the business.

AKDevil

The best bit of his commentary was 'This is not the second Thierry Henry this is the first Anthony martial'. Made me laugh. He had all his lines ready, obviously suspected it could be an iconic moment. In fairness he's right. Even though Macheda flopped, his Villa goal has been replayed over and over again.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne

It's his...job? Hyping up the Premier League and its games, players and moments is his job?

Cina

In this case an excuse for his own narcissism. 18 year old wonderkid scores in the Kop against you and he reacts like that and you'd be spitting feathers.
We already have given out about him for stuff like that. Look how much malice there is towards the Aguero goal here, or any fecking time Gerrard got a goal against us.

He is doing his job though and I don't see why people moan that he's biased or what not because he mostly just goes with the moments that will get replayed.

Bugzy

Bugzy

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...chester-united-martin-tylers-martial-10046078

Bruce! Yes! Yes for Manchester United!" commentator Martin Tyler exclaimed in 1993.

"Great turn by Machedaaaaaaaa," Tyler hollered in 2009.

"Valenciaaaaaaa," he screamed in 2012.

And now there is the "Oh YESSSS" Tyler offered after Anthony Martial skinned Martin Skrtel and slotted past Simon Mignolet on Saturday.

Tyler, who shrieked "Gerrarrrrrrd" when Liverpool beat Olympiakos in 2004 and "Agueroooooooo" in 2012, is now apparently a United supporter. In fact, he is a Woking fan.

Reds will be amused at the anger emanating from Kopites today. Tyler has even had his Wikipedia entry changed to 'Martin Steve Bruce Tyler'.

United supporters have, in fact, given Tyler plenty of stick over the years and Wayne Rooney had a pop at him after the draw at Cardiff two seasons ago.

In this case an excuse for his own narcissism. 18 year old wonderkid scores in the Kop against you and he reacts like that and you'd be spitting feathers.
Of course we would, just like you are now. I really don't see what you're trying to say? He loves a good story, and this time the story happened to be in favour of us. Nothing biased with it. I think he's doing a great job of showing enthusiasm at the right moment, whether it's Aguero, Gerrard or Martial.

Ricardo de la Vega

I can completely understand why Pool fans are pissed off with him after yesterday. I was pissed off with him with AGUERRROOO!. Its his job to make it more exciting. He's commentating not only on the match as a neutral - but as a interested spectator into the sport in general and what happened yesterday, with an unknown 19 year old debutant with a huge transfer fee and expectation on him came on to score against our biggest rivals at the Stretford End with a great goal - that's pretty exciting stuff (unless you're a Liverpool fan). That bit of commentary will be remembered because of that - and the goal will be remembered because of his voice on it - just like Agueros or Macheda's goal. You have to take the rough with the smooth if you're a fan. If Liverpool had more "moments" they'd have more great commentary moments too (although I perhaps would be a bit pissed off again when Benteke scores a goal of the season contender and he hardly bats an eyelid).

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
I can never get over the 2008 CL final, his lack of enthusiasm when VDS saved the penalty winning it for United he murmurs out it's red in Russia. Compare that to Drogba winning it for Chelsea in 2012 and he is gushing out so much bullshit. Was the 08 final as dramatic as the 12 final? No but he needs putting down. He has enough moments with his voice recorded on them, move on and bring in someone else.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's great. Has created many iconic commentary moments over the years. I don't think he comes across as particularly anti-United all that often either.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I can never get over the 2008 CL final, his lack of enthusiasm when VDS saved the penalty winning it for United he murmurs out it's red in Russia. Compare that to Drogba winning it for Chelsea in 2012 and he is gushing out so much bullshit. Was the 08 final as dramatic as the 12 final? No but he needs putting down. He has enough moments with his voice recorded on them, move on and bring in someone else.
See I actually really liked the whole, "Red in Russia" line. It was fairly quiet and understated compared to some of his big moments, but I found it quite effective too.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

His commentary from the Liverpool vs Manchester City game at Anfield, April 2014. Different levels of excitement it's fair to say.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
See I actually really liked the whole, "Red in Russia" line. It was fairly quiet and understated compared to some of his big moments, but I found it quite effective too.
I found it very ABU and still to this day do, maybe I read too much into it. Not that Tyldesley did that much better but at least he showed some passion.