Martin Tyler

vidic blood & sand

Tyler is ok. Can't believe he's still going. I remember him commentating (highlights) on the Utd comeback against Barca in 84. 34 years ago! shit.
Still miss Brian Moore. He was the greatest.

Classical Mechanic

Tyler is ok. Can't believe he's still going. I remember him commentating (highlights) on the Utd comeback against Barca in 84. 34 years ago! shit.
He's 72! Same age as Motty. Didn't realise he was that old. In fairness he hasn't really shown the signs of his age in commentary like Motson has.

Mr Smith

I don't blame Martin Tyler. His job is to add to the theatre, and you have to admit that City winning the league against us is a pretty mouthwatering storyline for the neutral. Most commentators were leaning into it, asking if City could come back and win again after we got our goals. Bitching about pundit bias I completely understand (as most of them are overpaid twats that spout opinions without an ounce of research, but I'm not really into bashing commentators for leaning one way or another.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Who writes this man's script for him? When it went to 2-2 he went into full on "Remember when Aguero scored and won them the league? Could it happen again?"

He was so desperate to recreate the "AGUEROOOO!" moment wasnt he?
and gary nev pretty much asked him not to yell in his ear!

Dante

Average bang
Creating narratives is how he puts food on the table.

Don't take it so personally.

Judas

Open to offers
This place does love a cry and a moan. I thought we liked being the most hated team in the country? Yet if anyone is negative there are so many tears.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
If City won last night i was expecting a thread like this bemoaning the hyperbolic, pre rehearsed, pompous, desperate to be remembered forever commentary that Peter Drury would have come up with. Whatever dribble Drury had ready was ruined. I've always enjoyed Martin Tyler and i hope he'll have a great world cup with SBS Australia.

Dante

Average bang
I'm rewatching the game now and Tyler actually says that the match yesterday was the reason he loves football.

This entire thread is ridiculous.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I thought he was ridiculously biassed yesterday, so much so i turned the volume down until i realised Pogba had scored
He just genuinely likes things that create spectacle and headlines.

He loves the Aguero moment as it what makes him famous, but he has moments like that with every club. Think of the Martial moment etc.

As normal though fans don't remember the positives, mainly the negatives against us. City were battering us and he was praising them to high heaven, but then once we came back he started giving us positives too.

Nick7

He loves the Aguero moment as it what makes him famous, but he has moments like that with every club. Think of the Martial moment etc.

As normal though fans don't remember the positives, mainly the negatives against us. City were battering us and he was praising them to high heaven, but then once we came back he started giving us positives too.
Yeah to be fair. City winning would have been a huge story, so you can't really blame him. He probably had a script in his head for it.

Minimalist

This.

Literally every group of supporters thinks Tyler hates their team. He doesn't.

He just picks a team for the day or a narrative he'd like to see unfold.

He does sound a bit disappointed (or resigned) when the underdog doesn't pull off the win though. Even last season when Zlatan scored the winner in the League Cup, he sounded a bit gutted in his appraisal.

Acole9

Outstanding
It's all gone downhill since Gray left him. Andy Gray is still the best football pundit when it comes to the PL by
Please tell me you're joking? He was outdated beyond belief on Sky, it was a blessing in disguise when they got rid.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Ah jaysus i miss Gray.

Many a Saturday and Sunday afternoon in the pub as a young lad.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm rewatching the game now and Tyler actually says that the match yesterday was the reason he loves football.

This entire thread is ridiculous.
Agreed.

You put this thread in an oppo forum and I'm sure they can list times he's acted up in our favour too.

I mean the OHHHHHH YESSSS :drool: must've been jarring for the non-united supporter and that went on for a while.

Moriarty

Never liked Moore and always thought he was biased against us. Jimmy Hill was another one. After the derby at Old Trafford when Glyn Pardoe broke his leg, Hill was goading Malcolm Allison into saying Best deliberately injured the City player. Allison, to his credit, wouldn't bite but Hill just kept on at him. Moore would always back a London team against a northern side and he wasn't fond of Scots either. After England had beaten Scotland 1-0 at Hampden, Moore was at the ground in the studio there and some Jocks spotted him behind the plate glass window and bombarded it with missiles trying to hit him.

For me, Coleman was the master, but only when he wasn't making stuff up.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There was that weird argument he tried to start with Neville about City want the win much more, because of their record at Anfield. That was proper strange.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
There was that weird argument he tried to start with Neville about City want the win much more, because of their record at Anfield. That was proper strange.
Towards the end? Yeah that was odd. Tbf it's probably Sky pushing him more than anything. Their whole 'Challengers v Champions' thing they had going on was cringe.`

cyberman

He has this weird fascination with trying to coin these rhyming soundbites.
I nearly threw my control at the tv when he called Klopp and Pep "The bold and the gold"

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Towards the end? Yeah that was odd. Tbf it's probably Sky pushing him more than anything. Their whole 'Challengers v Champions' thing they had going on was cringe.`
Yeah, it's funny how Sky have hyped Anfield big matches massively - like ours last season and this, and they've both ended in 0-0. Leaves them scrambling around to try and find something to fit the editorial narrative.

Neo_Mufc

Yeah, it's funny how Sky have hyped Anfield big matches massively - like ours last season and this, and they've both ended in 0-0. Leaves them scrambling around to try and find something to fit the editorial narrative.
Last years game against Lpool was hilarious. Most hyped up game that ended in one of the worst 0 0's :lol

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
When he called the World Cup on Aussie TV, he didn't try to create a narrative, he just focused on calling the game. Seems like a sky directive. Still regard Barry Davies as the master though. I much prefer Martin Tyler over the pompous Peter Drury who much of the worldwide audience would have had to endure for yesterday's game at Anfield.

Chairman Steve

I used to think he was a closet gooner and he kinda is I think (May have wrote stuff about them if I recall correctly), but with regards to his commentary, he’s just interested in the theatre/dramatic/Hollywood aspect of football.

Sometimes it involves us doing something amazing and we love it. Sometimes it’s against us or for one of our rivals and we hate him for it and brand him as an ABU.

Chairman Steve

It would definitely make sense if Sky pushed him to do it. I also remember watching a Utd game when I was in the U.S on whoever had the Premier League rights back in 2012 and remember him being not as dramatic.

Sky love to push Premier League football as some kind of pseudo soap opera/WWE thing, especially when they love to milk the hell out of managerial feuds. I think it’s switched up even more now that they’ve lost the Champions League, so now the top league of English football is the most important thing ever!*

*Since 1992

CA1

I've probabaly said this about 50 times on here but I know for a fact Tyler is and always has been an Arsenal fan. He supports Woking as well but Arsenal are his team. He used to jizz over all their goals against us in the 90's.

FujiVice

Tyler will never get over Newcastle losing the league in 1996. He coined them the "Entertainers." His hard on for Keegan during that period was terrifying. You had to remove women and children from the room when Sky's Super Sunday was on.

No idea why, though. That Newcastle team were good to watch, dont get me wrong, but it wasnt like they were 1970 Brazil. Always found it funny that both United and Liverpool outscored "the Entertainers", and even Everton were only 2 goals behind them.

Zoo

He’s a proper snide. Constantly taking little digs throughout.