Martin Tyler

Pagh Wraith

He seems strangely subdued whenever he's not on Sky. I've noticed this a number of times now. Almost as if he's commentating on a highlights reel.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It was really odd listening to him for the two goals. Here I am losing my mind and I almost felt like I was being hushed and reminded I’m at a funeral by Martin Tyler
He’s commentating for an international audience and possibly for archive purposes too. It’s a deliberate choice I’m sure.

snk123

WTF was that seriously from Tyler - Just seeing the highlights and I so wish I was watching the game with Darren Fletcher and *cough* Steve Mcmanaman instead on commentary.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
He didn't sound as excited as i thought he ought to be given the dramatic nature of United's win. Tyler might want to scale back his commitments as he's 74 this year. His Champions League commentaries are off tube, maybe that plays a role in any so called lack of excitement. Peter Drury does shit me no end at times but he would have nailed United's win.

brian017

Was he commentating off-tube? Because in my experience that affects the level and quality of a commentary. They don’t sound great at all

FujiVice

"Should I bring the red script book or the blue script book tonight, darling?"

TRUERED89

“Not sure dear. Reckon I should go with my orgasm noise again if City bang in a screamer?”
He does it all the time, its not a side taking issue. Do you remember his orgasm when Martial scored against Liverpool on his debut? Pool fans were >> :mad:

Man Utd 2:0 Man City

Zoo

Insufferable today. So desperate to make excuses for City and paint this narrative that we fluked our way to the 3 points.

Jonno

He certainly tried to beg City back into the game for 20-30 mins.

Very little credit for the way we defended and did a job on them, at the same time i do understand he probably didn’t want to say it prematurely for City to go on and equalise.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
He certainly tried to beg City back into the game for 20-30 mins.

Very little credit for the way we defended and did a job on them, at the same time i do understand he probably didn’t want to say it prematurely for City to go on and equalise.
He shouldn't be shoving narratives down the microphone though. All he has to do is commentate on the game that's happening in front of him.
United were defending well so you say that. If City break the defense and score a good goal he says that too.

Commentary has gone to hell

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He shouldn't be shoving narratives down the microphone though. All he has to do is commentate on the game that's happening in front of him.
United were defending well so you say that. If City break the defense and score a good goal he says that too.

Commentary has gone to hell
This.

The problem with a lot of commentators. I (sort of) get it with radio commentators that you have to paint a picture for listeners .... but it's TV, just COMMENTATE

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Sky are fecked. Its long beyond the need to completely refresh its ideas.

We are looking at the same bunch of shams since the late 90s.

Ian Darke is a much better commentator

Dante

Average bang
His job is to sell an entertainment product.

From his point of view, the match was boring for the neutrals. So his preference might well have been for a City goal to shake things up and raise excitement levels.

If City had been leading going into the last 15, he'd have equally well wanted United to score instead.

I hope for the same thing when I watch World Cup matches as a neutral.

lsd

The Oracle
The subbing on of Ighalo - "And Utd are taking off Bruno, and bringing on a player built like Frank Bruno..."

Bit dodgy.

Yeah i didn't like that . He is a terrible commentator the worst in fact in my opinion. The countless useless soundbites and pointless facts like Pep hasn't lost a match in March :rolleyes: who gives a flying one ?

Then you know before the game starts he is going to repeat the same pointless facts he does every game ie James had a great start scoring 3 in his first 4 and Sterling has tet to score against United etc

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Sky are fecked. Its long beyond the need to completely refresh its ideas.

We are looking at the same bunch of shams since the late 90s.

Ian Darke is a much better commentator
Ian Darke is worse than shoving knitting needles in your ears.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Leave it out!
Hes a good commentator.
He’s absolutely awful, there’s genuinely not one thing good about him. He constantly gets basic things wrong and spends most of his time spouting inane waffle that has nothing to do with the game and trying to make stupid jokes.

I’ve no clue how he has the job he does.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He’s absolutely awful, there’s genuinely not one thing good about him. He constantly gets basic things wrong and spends most of his time spouting inane waffle that has nothing to do with the game and trying to make stupid jokes.

I’ve no clue how he has the job he does.
I haven't heard him on the football much but he is a really good boxing commentator. He knows his stuff there.
Anytime I heard him on football he was ok. Maybe I just dislike tyler alot.

I'd have Andy Gray back if I was Sky. He was good.

Drainy

Straight after the final whistle with the 'United just had more to play for' line and bringing up that it speeds up Liverpool winning the league.

Josh 76

I haven't heard him on the football much but he is a really good boxing commentator. He knows his stuff there.
Anytime I heard him on football he was ok. Maybe I just dislike tyler alot.

I'd have Andy Gray back if I was Sky. He was good.
Andy Gray wasn't a comentator.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
he only referenced Frank Bruno because Ighalo is black, Sky need to get rid he’s a dinosaur!
Yeah, it felt very much that way... it's on the line.

Nonsense, my dad found it funny and he's half black.
But I'm half Black (or half White, as no-one ever says...), and found it dodgy.

It's not something the guy should be losing his job over but it was certainly a bit dodgy - Neville's complete silence after the comment was telling.

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah, it felt very much that way... it's on the line.

But I'm half Black (or half White, as no-one ever says...), and found it dodgy.

It's not something the guy should be losing his job over but it was certainly a bit dodgy - Neville's complete silence after the comment was telling.

He is getting a few comments on twitter about it . Hopefully Sky will be aware as its not his first time doing stuff like that

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
he only referenced Frank Bruno because Ighalo is black, Sky need to get rid he’s a dinosaur!

Bloody hell get a grip. He's making a light hearted quip about a name! Bruno. The most famous Bruno is frank bruno. It's hardly some racist thing

SweetRightFoot

yeah you're right, he should have referenced Sacha Baron Cohen's 2009 film Bruno (he's white) and compared how you'd want neither Odion Ighalo or the flamboyant Austrian fashion guru getting behind you.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I didn't like tyler saying that we "stole" a winner when we had a lot more chances than them and certainly didn't blag it.