Martin Tyler

TrustInOle

I like him personally, even if he does sometimes come across as anti-United, though he was abit insufferable yesterday. Maybe unpopular here but I quite like McManaman during the champions League games.

pascell

Bliase when United scored, jizzed himself everytime Leeds had a shot. I know commentators have to find a way of keeping the audiences attention during such a one sided match, but he was taking the p*ss with some of his comments towards Leeds and against United.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I like him personally, even if he does sometimes come across as anti-United, though he was abit insufferable yesterday. Maybe unpopular here but I quite like McManaman during the champions League games.
You wouldn’t know he was ex Liverpool. Maybe it’s because he grew up an Everton fan and after a good and sporadically spectacular career at Liverpool they sold him to RM where he won 2 UCLs.

He’s a cult hero among older RM fans.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That blows my mind, McManaman is absolutely horrendous.

Eddy_JukeZ

It wasn't just Tyler.

NBCSN had a hard on Leeds as well.

They thought the game wasn't over at 4-1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What’s funny is a Liverpool supporting mate of mine thinks he’s a United fan through and through

acrebo

Near the end, I'm sure he even came out with something like "we do have to also give credit to Manchester United...".

It was weird yesterday; they'd already decided how Leeds were going to perform so, irrespective of their actual performance, they just kept chucking superlatives at them.

There's a reason more teams in their respective top flights don't play one-dimensional gung-ho football...

Flying_Heckfish

He's so laboured these days. Just barely phoning it in at this stage.

Add to that, he just doesn't have that little bit of warm charm that Motty managed to cling to either. Just banal.

DRM

And how many times did he bring up the fact we were out of the CL :rolleyes:

Yea, thanks for rubbing it in Mart!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Sky have a hard on for Leeds this season for some reason.

They somehow decided the Leeds vs City game was some kind of all time classic greatest PL game ever, before the game had even kicked off, and then continued with that mantra for the entire game even as it drivelled out into a completely forgettable 1-1 draw.

I do get the praise to an extent as they're fun to watch, but they're also quite possibly going to get themselves relegated, and were lucky not to be on the end of the biggest PL defeat in many years yesterday.

mark_a

Watched a re-run of the goals and you could hear his deflation and disappointment rising progressively each time we scored! Sounded really stark when goals were back to back! Absolutely gutted by the last one!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I love him personally, him and Neville are my favourite commentary duo at the moment and it's a noticeable drop off whenever you get someone else.

sugar_kane

agreed, I like McManaman as well.
I've really warmed to him over the past couple of years, he used to do my head in when we had LVG/Mourinho in charge as his whining was like nails down a chalkboard but to be fair he's not shy of dishing out praise to United when we play well, and seems to be pretty balanced in his commentary.

YAMS49

Bliase when United scored, jizzed himself everytime Leeds had a shot.
This sums him up. I can't decide if he does this on purpose to fit the current narrative or he hates/likes us that much that he doesn't realize he's doing it. He constantly has a blasé tone for our goals.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I know Tyler has his own iconic place within Sky's image and everything, but if you want to keep your brand current and relevant I'm not sure him talking about a game like yesterday being like the good old days he remembers watching in the 1950s is the best fit anymore.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I do like him but his lack of interest when we score compared to some other teams pisses me off.

Neville laughing at Leeds was funny though. What did he call them? A daft bunch?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's the commentator equivalent of the BBC: Largely uncontroversial but everyone thinks he roots for the rival team.

sillwuka

I like Tyler, he doesn't seem to have a bias towards any team in my opinion.

There was a time where he would go mad for everything City but then Ji scored against them for Sunderland in the last minute and he went wild.

I would rather have him around than some of the other dross out there.

Tony247

One point he was mumbling about if bruno can get into SAF team. It was condescending and totally unnecessary.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sky have a hard on for Leeds this season for some reason.

They somehow decided the Leeds vs City game was some kind of all time classic greatest PL game ever, before the game had even kicked off, and then continued with that mantra for the entire game even as it drivelled out into a completely forgettable 1-1 draw.

I do get the praise to an extent as they're fun to watch, but they're also quite possibly going to get themselves relegated, and were lucky not to be on the end of the biggest PL defeat in many years yesterday.
The reason is that you don’t know if they’ll score 6 or concede 6. Makes for great TV.

Brighton and Sheffield Utd were on yesterday as were Villa. As a neutral I know who I’d rather watch

Jonno

I do feel like his commentary has declined somewhat. I remember how good he was with Andy Gray in the 1990's-2000's.

Maybe I'm being too critical with the no-fans aspect of commentary?

Jonno

He's certainly got better. He offers unbiased opinions on United's style of play quite a lot, which is good to hear. Keown and Carragher on the other hand, there's some saltyness still there.

NYAS

When I moved to the UK I was shocked at how boring the commentary is for you guys. This man is one of the main reasons. Only realises the ball hits the back of the net about 3 seconds after it does and then in the most monotone voice: “oh and Arsenal have indeed scored”. I think he’s done, personally; should retire soon.

To me it’s a bit sad that such a football-rich country gets such shite commentary, you people deserve the South American/Arabic versions of football commentary. The ones that actually treat goals as the big events they are and not as just another stat to be recorded.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Yeah he's really good. It is a bit confusing though, hearing a scouser talk sense.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
When I moved to the UK I was shocked at how boring the commentary is for you guys. This man is one of the main reasons. Only realises the ball hits the back of the net about 3 seconds after it does and then in the most monotone voice: “oh and Arsenal have indeed scored”. I think he’s done, personally; should retire soon.

To me it’s a bit sad that such a football-rich country gets such shite commentary, you people deserve the South American/Arabic versions of football commentary. The ones that actually treat goals as the big events they are and not as just another stat to be recorded.
If Martin Tyler’s replacement started shouting g-g-g-G-G-GooaaaaAAAAAAALLLLLL GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAAAAOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLL it’d soon get tiring and laughed at here.

I admit I used to love the foreign commentary when I was a kid though, it was great, I think more for the novelty though

NYAS

If Martin Tyler’s replacement started shouting g-g-g-G-G-GooaaaaAAAAAAALLLLLL GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAAAAOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLL it’d soon get tiring and laughed at here.

I admit I used to love the foreign commentary when I was a kid though, it was great, I think more for the novelty though
I’m in my late twenties and still find it much more enjoyable than being told by someone what I’m already seeing with my own eyes. Personally I think it’s supposed to be entertainment rather than narration.

TrustInOle

He's certainly got better. He offers unbiased opinions on United's style of play quite a lot, which is good to hear. Keown and Carragher on the other hand, there's some saltyness still there.
Agreed. He is like this with all English teams and if I'm being honest, who doesn't love abit of English bias commentating in Europe. :lol:

Can't stand Keown.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’m in my late twenties and still find it much more enjoyable than being told by someone what I’m already seeing with my own eyes. Personally I think it’s supposed to be entertainment rather than narration.
Gary Nev tried to be our version with the Torres goal but I don’t think he quite nailed it

matt23

Been cringey as feck since original lockdown.

Really enjoyed how depressed he sounded yesterday.

SmallCaine

It wasn't just Tyler.

NBCSN had a hard on Leeds as well.

They thought the game wasn't over at 4-1 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was it beglin and champion or was there a 3rd set of commentators wetting themselves because of leeds?

For all criticism of Martin Tyler, he had nothing on Jim Beglin and Champion.

The 4-4 and 3-3 comments were annoying but the cherry i thought was one of them wondering if bruno would be good enough to be in fergie's united teams. Muted them after that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Oooh even 5-1 up no-one is counting their chickens here.

Ohhh Leeds don't half entertain.

They're 6-2 down mate and lucky not to have shipped 10.

OhGee

Oh yessss, welcome to Old Trafford - Anthony Martialllll....

stevoc

He needs to retire and let someone born this side of WW2 take over.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Match commentary never remained the same after those 2. :nervous: Shame they were pricks.