Martin Tyler

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The reason is that you don’t know if they’ll score 6 or concede 6. Makes for great TV.

Brighton and Sheffield Utd were on yesterday as were Villa. As a neutral I know who I’d rather watch
Yeah but when a team is 6-1 down it's probably time to accept that maybe they aren't playing that well. I don't think many Leeds fans enjoyed losing 6-2 to United just because the neutrals found it entertaining...which to be frank they probably didn't anyway. If I was watching Leeds playing Liverpool and Liverpool were 6-2 up, I'd turn it off.

Their game against City wasn't even particularly entertaining but Tyler and Neville spent the entire 90 minutes telling us it was. Literally the only thing I can remember about the game was the amount of bollocks the two of them were talking.

Sky need to tone it down a bit as their coverage is becoming noticably more annoying than anyone else's. THe games on Amazon in the week, the commentators were just commentating on the game. With Sky usually one or both of the commentators decide their narrative for the game before it even starts and then stick to it no matter how wrong it ends up being. Neville is particularly bad at this. He spends more time delivering ranty opinions than explaining what is actually going on. Either that or it just descends to the equivalent of listening to two old women nattering at a bus stop.

Another thing is this new habit of cutting to an extended slow motion replay of basically nothing happening, but while the game is going on, which seems to be universal between all broadcasters. I think we've missed about 20 minutes of football in the last 5 United games, in order to watch De Gea very slowly picking up the ball from 4 different angles, or some Sheffield United player falling off the pitch after trying to do a skill. It's also resulted in basically missing Sheffield United's first goal the other night and the build up play to Son's goal at Anfield. I mean we're literally paying these broadcasters so we can watch the game, not to sit there not being able to watch it because they decide to show other things that no one can possibly be interested in./old man rant

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Completely agree about the replays, I want to watch all the build ups etc, stop replaying rubbish.

Gabagoo

Tyler is fine.

United fans want someone fawning over them and hating everything Liverpool do.

Grow up.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Think Nev has a downer on Ole.
Sick of him, never a legend.
Behave.

Tyler does seem to be phoning it in lately. I don't think there's any bias with him but he does have storylines made up before matches start which influences his commentary. Like yesterday, it was supposed to be a close high scoring game between two rivals but we blew them out the water and he clinged onto this idea that Leeds are just as good as United and were still in the game despite being 4-0 down at one point.

decorativeed

What’s funny is a Liverpool supporting mate of mine thinks he’s a United fan through and through
When I met Martin Tyler a few years back he said he was always amused by the fact that whichever team people supported, they always thought he supported the opposition.

Foxbatt

I remember listening to an old game United against West Ham when Whiteside scored a penalty and the keeper was Tom MCallister. The commentator said" Tom Mcallister dejected, Norman Whiteside delighted".
Famous Scottish Commentator David Francey would always say " There goes the final whistle blown by referee so and so". He once said the crowd is encouraging the referee to blow his watch.

Loon

:lol:
I'll never forget his euphoria when Bruce scored against Sheffield Weds that afternoon. I think he just gets caught up in the moment and, had that Aguero goal involved anyone but us, I could see how that would set hearts pumping when your job is to deliver those moments in commentary.

That said, he's become a tired old fanny ("...and IT'S LIVE!") and is devolving into Motson irrelevancies, but he is not the scouse lover Barry Davies was. I still have nightmares about his sycophantic BBC "Liverpool into Europe" jizz-fests.

Tiber

I actually have a vague suspicion that Tyler supports us...
Fans of other teams constantly complain about Tyler being pro United.

I think he is great, amazing that he is still going at 75. I will miss him when he finally retires

Maticmaker

Many people seem to forget that when watching football on television, that whilst it might be a sporting occasion, it is also a TV programme, and the Commentator and his pundit for the day are required to 'make their mark' so people remember them and the programme and write in and complain or argument. In many ways the last thing the commentators want is to be ignored and so they take steps to make sure the ain't.
When its a poor game we are sometimes thankful for the commentary, but when its a 'full on' match like United v Leeds, almost the best thing commentators could do would be to shut up and let the game speak to the fans... but of course they wont. Tyler laps it up!

Gazza

Tyler is way past it. He is terrible now. Used to be the best, about 15 years ago. Needs to retire or be put out of his misery (and he does sound miserable much of the time these days).

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Is there a commentator anyone actually likes? I can't muster much more than indifference for most tbh. Doesn't really do much either way for me when I find out who's commentating one of our games.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
No he's not. Fans are too touchy about the main commentators for perceived bias. The fact is that all of them disguise it rather well. Scousers think Tyler supports us and hate them because of the way he called the first goal Martial scored vs a muted one for Benteke's overhead. United fans think he's an Arsenal fan because he said the Invincibles season was the most amazing achievement in the Premier League era. Which to be honest it probably is considering the last time it happened was around the time the motor car was invented.

Colour commentators on the other hand...
No I think he's an Arsenal fan because he's literally authored a history book on Arsenal, and I've heard it a few times on Arsenal related things. Might be wrong of course, but even if he is, who cares?

El Zoido

Don’t know about any perceived biases, but his commentary during the Leeds game was farcical. If you didn’t know the score in the game you’d think we were losing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Don’t know about any perceived biases, but his commentary during the Leeds game was farcical. If you didn’t know the score in the game you’d think we were losing.
He said something like "It's not many games a team is 4-1 up and you don't know if they'll win" when there was no chance Leeds were coming back.

I’m not too bothered about the commentator. Basically they are background. Pogba, to Matic, to DDG etc. The co-commentator is where the real value comes in, and there are some pretty good ones these days.

there are however a lot of vile/ degrading and purple things I would do to rid us all of Jamie Redknapp - adds nothing.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Is there a commentator anyone actually likes? I can't muster much more than indifference for most tbh. Doesn't really do much either way for me when I find out who's commentating one of our games.
Peter Drury, Jon Champion and Joe Speight are three I enjoy. Drury has grown on me over the last 5-6 years.

stubie

Peter Drury, Jon Champion and Joe Speight are three I enjoy. Drury has grown on me over the last 5-6 years.
I like the lesser known ones like Wayne Boyce, Dan Mason and Jon Cotterill

All have covered the Brazilian league over the past few years

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He's been around way too long to still be liked and appreciated, no matter how good or bad he is at his job. It's simply too unfashionable for people to still like him.

bleedred

Just watching the highlights of the Liverpool game and he sounds very ill. Gasping for breath between every sentence.

cyberman

He keeps talking about this Liverpool improvement in the second half. Theyre doing feck all and are barely troubling the Chelsea keeper.

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He keeps talkig about this Liverpool improvement in the second half. Theyre doing feck all and are barely troubling the Chelsea keeper.
And he called Roberto Firmino Bobby. Ewww.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
AND IT'S LIVE!

Has to be the worst catchphrase ever.

Bojan11

He's been around way too long to still be liked and appreciated, no matter how good or bad he is at his job. It's simply too unfashionable for people to still like him.
I don’t mind him. I don’t think he’s biased to anyone. Liverpool fans will say he’s biased to us. We will say he is biased for them. Chelsea fans will say he is biased to Arsenal and the cycle will continue.

He’s obviously not as good as he was once. He seems out of touch with football just like Jim Ross does with todays wrestling. @SalfordRed18 @Ekeke @Shane88 @horsechoker will probably agree with me. Shame as they were the best commentators in my childhood.

It happens to everyone eventually. Motty apparently used to be good, but in his final years he was terrible.

He is definitely better than that cnut Fletch. I rather listen to Tyler doing his Darth Vader impression than Fletch and Mcmanaman together.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I don’t mind him. I don’t think he’s biased to anyone. Liverpool fans will say he’s biased to us. We will say he is biased for them. Chelsea fans will say he is biased to Arsenal and the cycle will continue.

He’s obviously not as good as he was once. He seems out of touch with football just like Jim Ross does with todays wrestling. @SalfordRed18 @Ekeke @Shane88 @horsechoker will probably agree with me. Shame as they were the best commentators in my childhood.

It happens to everyone eventually. Motty apparently used to be good, but in his final years he was terrible.

He is definitely better than that cnut Fletch. I rather listen to Tyler doing his Darth Vader impression than Fletch and Mcmanaman together.
Tyler still knows the player's names so he has that going for him over JR.

Agree on "Fletch". Awful, awful, awful.