Martin Tyler

Boycott

Thing is, I understand it was a mistake and he probably didnt mean it as an insult to the memories of the victims and their families, but he's a professional broadcaster. His job is to not make royal feck ups like this. This is probably evidence he isnt cut out for live broadcasting anymore, with such a grand error like this.
Yeah I agree. I think he has been past his sell-by-date as a commentator since the Aguero goal and he's been around so long you can watch a game from the 1982-83 season and hear him commentate on players who later sat next to him as a co-commentator. He should have been retired for that reason alone but for sentimental reasons it seems Sky wouldn't push him out but now they might have to. I don't think he will be doing any Liverpool matches any time soon now.

Longshanks

Its quite clearly a mis interpretation. But in all honesty can we actually say the Hillsborough tragedy had nothing to do with the hooliganism culture that was rife in football fans at the time?

Oranges038

Sky keep who they want to keep. And they wanted to keep Carragher. Tyler is 76 and they're looking to replace him. Its a nice way to speed up that process and impliment some new blood.
Are they? I thought they loved him and his "and it's live" catchphrase.

Personally I don't like his commentary, he goes off on some Abe Simpson rambles. But, him losing his job over this would be a total joke.

Its quite clearly a mis interpretation. But in all honesty can we actually say the Hillsborough tragedy had nothing to do with the hooliganism culture that was rife in football fans at the time?
Technically he's not wrong anyway.

Hillsborough was ultimately the result of hooliganism, it just wasn't caused by it on the day. It's why crowds had to be separated in the first place, it's why Liverpool were given the small end of the stadium, it's also why there were pens and fences in the stadiums.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Cancel culture in overdrive. Dippers hate Tyler as they believe he is a United fan.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
When I saw the thread bump I hoped it was an announcement of him retiring at the end of the season :(

Chief123

What could other mean if he wasn’t using Hillsborough as an example of hooliganism? We could change commas around but we could also realise we don’t use commas in actual speech.
Scousers have a right to be offended over this imo. I have no idea who Tyler is apart from the 90 minutes on tv or what he believes in so he really does need to explain himself.
He didn’t use Hillsborough as an example of hooliganism. He just used the two words in the same sentence.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Thing is, I understand it was a mistake and he probably didnt mean it as an insult to the memories of the victims and their families, but he's a professional broadcaster. His job is to not make royal feck ups like this. This is probably evidence he isnt cut out for live broadcasting anymore, with such a grand error like this.
There isn't a royal feck up though. It's people looking to lynch someone online and deliberately look for the least kind interpretation of words. Transcribe the sentence with slightly different punctuation and you make clear the distinction between Hillsborough and (a distinct set of) other issues that were hooligan related, e.g. “We weren’t that long after Hillsborough and other, hooligan-related, issues”. It is pretty clear to me that he was saying the "other issues" that were hooligan related, and not that there were hooligan-related issues with Hillsborough being an example of one.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t see why this forum hates him so much. “He should’ve been retired by now”.

So he’s 76 and has the audacity to not want to sit at home watching cash in the attic. What’s the problem? Some people seem to want older folks to shuffle off into a home once they hit 55, like that old peter Kay advert.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I don’t see why this forum hates him so much. “He should’ve been retired by now”.

So he’s 76 and has the audacity to not want to sit at home watching cash in the attic. What’s the problem? Some people seem to want older folks to shuffle off into a home once they hit 30, like that old peter Kay advert.
Corrected your post

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

So he’s 76 and has the audacity to not want to sit at home watching cash in the attic. What’s the problem? Some people seem to want older folks to shuffle off into a home once they hit 55, like that old peter Kay advert.

I am bored of him. Thats a good enough reason as far as I am concerned

Chief123

I’m surprised Sky hasn’t tried to get Clyve Tyldsley. He has always been my favourite after Brian Moore. Both of them give me some nostalgic champions league memories. Tyldsley adds a level of excitement to the game just through his commentary which is a talent in itself.

JB7

Of course not, no rational person would attempt to either.

Longshanks

Are they? I thought they loved him and his "and it's live" catchphrase.

Personally I don't like his commentary, he goes off on some Abe Simpson rambles. But, him losing his job over this would be a total joke.

Technically he's not wrong anyway.

Hillsborough was ultimately the result of hooliganism, it just wasn't caused by it on the day. It's why crowds had to be separated in the first place, it's why Liverpool were given the small end of the stadium, it's also why there were pens and fences in the stadiums.
And the fatal decisions that the police took that day were predominetly caused by the fear of hooliganism.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He’s clarified his comments, don’t see a reason for anymore to be made out of it from his employers etc now

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Surely, it was at just very stupid and clumsy but I don't blame Liverpool fans for being angry/upset. I'd be both if I felt someone has said something stupid about Munich. I rarely stand with Liverpool fans but Hillsborough is the exception

Last edited:

Gazza

I am quite certain he didn't mean that comment about Hillsbrough to come across the way it did, but it's symptomatic of an older man who is trying to stay in a profession that requires considerable alacrity of thought and speech. The guy is way past his sell-by date and should bow out before he needs to be wheeled onto the gantry.

decorativeed

Yeah, I think I agree. We all know that Hillsborough was a disaster mainly of the police and the FA's making, but one of the reasons it was so deadly was because of the fact that police pre-emptively treated fooball fans as hooligans wherever they went back then, and the 'anti-hooligan' measures at the stadia like perimeter fencing made a serious situation even more deadly.

Plus, having spent an hour or two with Martin Tyler as he tried to do a pre-recorded piece to camera for a documentary, I was surprised how much he struggled to find the correct words. Especially given the fact he normally works on live commentary. Given my experience, he is prone to blunder and it doesn't necessarily suggests he believes Hillsborough was caused by hooligans in the stadium.

Keefy18

He’s getting backlash on social media for comments he made today. Is the backlash warranted?

Nope, he meant two separate issues.

Hillsborough and yes hooliganism was rife in the game in the late 80s / early 90s.

He's matter of fact, correct.

Snowflakes and virtue signalling melts unite.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
"A disgrace"

Christ, that's so fecking dramatic. The worst you can accuse him of here is being a little careless with his words. Whatever you think of the bloke (and I don't like him particularly) you can't accuse him of having malicious intent in what he's saying here. If you've ever heard him over the years, he's always incredibly respectful and considerate when the topic of Hillsborough is brought up.

He was obviously talking about football being in a dark place due to things like Hillsborough as well as hooliganism. Surely only those who are looking for offense would suggest he was linking one with the other. He was just clumsy in the way in which he said it.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Careless wording. He quickly put out an apology, can we move on now?

Loon

:lol:
I’m surprised Sky hasn’t tried to get Clyve Tyldsley. He has always been my favourite after Brian Moore. Both of them give me some nostalgic champions league memories. Tyldsley adds a level of excitement to the game just through his commentary which is a talent in itself.
I agree. I thought ITV messed up binning him off, and he IS a self-acknowledged dipper.

DanielofLeyland

A unfortunate and clumsy reference that could land him in hot water. I get the upset even if it was unintentional. From my perspective I would probably be annoyed because of the order in which he referenced issues of the time. I suspect if he had said hooliganism and then the tragedy of Hillsborough it wouldn't have sounded so bad. However, the thought process is obviously Hillsborough and then hooliganism. I appreciate if you are thinking aloud it's not always easy to be polished in what you say.

He has apologised to be fair but that won't cut much ice with some.

TDK

Welcome to 2022: The witch hunting generation.

Everyone these days are upset about every single little thing. You can't wear clothing of another culture because it's "cultural appropriation". You can't bring up your own child the way you want, because people will disagree with it, and the list goes on.

I'm not sure whether it's a generation thing or social media has put a spotlight on it. Personally, I think it's the latter.

I grew up in the 80s/90s. I have thick skin. My attitude is "live and let live". I'm too busy to be upset at every turn of the hat... sounds exhausting!

What Martin Tyler said was clumsy. There was no malice in it. But don't let that get in the way of the mob who want their lb of flesh.

The people who have an issue with commentators and pundits are a part of the problem. Thin skinned merchants.

Last edited:

Okey

The epidemic on outrage continues to fester. Too many people looking for things to be offended by. Sigh...