Martin Tyler | Retiring

Josh 76

His reaction to the De gea save was a joke. Hardly said a word.

Then the other twat said what a miss.

They can both feck off.

pablo__p

Interesting timing, this thread. I'm not British but I watch games on sky/BT mostly and yesterday I said to my wife that I was absolutely baffled how come there is no new names among commentators season after season.

Surely there are some young(er) passionate and articulate people who happen to have a good voice.

MiceOnMeth

A bit like JR in AEW. Problem is, the new generation of commentators are so boring that I don't mind them staying on. At least they have some personality and charisma even if they waffle.
90 year old JR would still be better than the commentary from WWE

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
@Rolandofgilead what's your view on Tyler now and who would you say is the best commentary team at the moment?

I thought McCoist and Tyldesley were good in the Euros.
Agree with you on McCoist and Tyldesley. I thought they were excellent during the euro.

Tyler still has it that's clear. I think personally he struggles with the modern game a touch. He's also assistant manager at Woking (I met him last season funnily enough) and balancing several jobs is difficult.

In other news, I had Oli Mcburnies brother on co-commentary today.

TheReligion

Abusive
Agree with you on McCoist and Tyldesley. I thought they were excellent during the euro.

Tyler still has it that's clear. I think personally he struggles with the modern game a touch. He's also assistant manager at Woking (I met him last season funnily enough) and balancing several jobs is difficult.

In other news, I had Oli Mcburnies brother on co-commentary today.
Tyler is assistant manager at Woking? I didn't know that!

Did you find out anything about McBurnie assaulting that kid?

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Tyler is assistant manager at Woking? I didn't know that!

Did you find out anything about McBurnie assaulting that kid?
Haha no mate. I wouldn't have asked even if I remembered to be honest. Nothing to do with Xander and it wouldn't have been fair to put him on the spot.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He was utterly cringe-worthy during Agueros last game for City last season. Tyler was just waiting for him to score so he could come out with his "AGUUUEEEEROOOOOOOO" line.

Loon

:lol:
He’s just a sad old fanny. Clive Tyldesley gets dipped by ITV for same and he’s better.

R'hllor

He should retire years ago but guess thats not in his plans. Also i find him fake in a lot of situation, sometimes i think he plans certain stuff to say for probably some fecked up reason.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
WTF was up with his depressing voice during the Spurs goals yesterday and his excitement at the Newcastle ones. It was pathetic.
It's a sky thing. They had decided it was the Newcastle show - Spurs winning went against their narrative they decided to create.

Just look at how many times they showed the bloody CEO/his daughter/Staveley in the crowd after every shot/miss/goal etc.

They're desperate for Newcastle to come in and shake things up.

TheGame

It's a sky thing. They had decided it was the Newcastle show - Spurs winning went against their narrative they decided to create.

Just look at how many times they showed the bloody CEO/his daughter/Staveley in the crowd after every shot/miss/goal etc.

They're desperate for Newcastle to come in and shake things up.
He even said something along the lines of Newcastle have won the owner lottery, just forgetting all of the human rights stuff in the process.

UTD_Since_1978

I think a lot of older UTD fans probably turned on him after his infamous "AGUUUEEEEROOOOOOOO" commentary.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He even said something along the lines of Newcastle have won the owner lottery, just forgetting all of the human rights stuff in the process.
Yep, absolutely loving all the lads dressed up like Saudi's etc. It's all just a big theatre to them, the more noise the better.

Was quite funny to sees Spurs piss on their parade :lol:

MUFC OK

I think he has massively struggled to adapt to the new style of commentary.

The commentators tend to have a "discussion" whilst watching the match these days which means Tyler just rambles. I remember when he was paired with Andy Gray. Tyler stuck to the basic commentary (with excitement) which he excelled at whilst Gray provided the analysis.
Gray was good to be fair. I personally hate what I assume is the "modern way" of commentating which involves a crib sheet of about 30 useless statistics that are nothing to do with the game that is under way, and more just filler, BT sport are horrible for this.

Chairman Steve

What is it with these commentators and staying on for longer than they should? First Motson now Tyler.

I will say though that Tyler outside the Sky filter is more tolerable. Sky seem determined to make football into some kind of soap opera, theatre, superhero battle shit and think they’re going to be big time TV producers and win Emmys or something… kinda like WWE.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What is it with these commentators and staying on for longer than they should? First Motson now Tyler.

I will say though that Tyler outside the Sky filter is more tolerable. Sky seem determined to make football into some kind of soap opera, theatre, superhero battle shit and think they’re going to be big time TV producers and win Emmys or something… kinda like WWE.
Oh for the days when commentators just commentated. Too many now want to give their opinions, that is what your co-commentator is for. Although some of them are worse than useless as well.

Big Andy

Bloke
I'd rather have Tyler than that monotone cnut they have on MUTV. Some people don't have the voice for commentary, it just doesn't work.

I find that woman one on match of the day annoying too, not because she's a woman, but her voice just comes off as wrong for commentary, like she's trying too hard to be more "blokey".

Offsideagain

Oh for the days when commentators just commentated. Too many now want to give their opinions, that is what your co-commentator is for. Although some of them are worse than useless as well.
Totally agree with those sentiments. Darren Fletcher on BT never ever shuts the f*** up. He must have pages and pages of stats to reel off. Others revel in the issues at United. The rugby commentator, the late Bill Mclaren, used to say a good commentator is like a good referee, you don’t notice them. Fletcher is one of the reasons, along with incessant drumming, I cancelled all the sports channels and I don’t miss them at all. Cricket is going the same way.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Totally agree with those sentiments. Darren Fletcher on BT never ever shuts the f*** up. He must have pages and pages of stats to reel off. Others revel in the issues at United. The rugby commentator, the late Bill Mclaren, used to say a good commentator is like a good referee, you don’t notice them. Fletcher is one of the reasons, along with incessant drumming, I cancelled all the sports channels and I don’t miss them at all. Cricket is going the same way.
Sky changed that when the PL came in. I have been watching re runs of The Big Match on BT, one commentator a game and they all manage to get the facts across, what was happening. Sky just employed more and more to justify their subscriptions. Why not employ less pundits etc and lower the subscriptions.

big rons sovereign

Barry Davies will always be king.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He's fine. It's more that people are becoming bored of him than it is him becoming boring with age.

Ladron de redcafe

It's natural when it comes to commentators. We have seen examples of great commentators turn into shells of themsleves as they age, perhaps because they lose the excitement about the sport they're commentating on, as they age.

Marv Albert (in basketball), Jim Ross (in choreographed/professional wrestling), Joe Rogan (in the UFC) are all examples. Peter Drury isn't himself either, these days.

UtdAgain08

Wish they'd replace him with the Rob Palmer who commentated the Spanish football on Sky.

big rons sovereign

Barry Davies, host of nauseating sycophantic BBC “Liverpool into Europe” of my youth? Not for me.
Don't remember any of that. His commentary on maradona is what sticks with me.
"Well you have to say that's magnificent"...
I'd take him over any of the sterile twats now.

Fts 74

Don't remember any of that. His commentary on maradona is what sticks with me.
"Well you have to say that's magnificent"...
I'd take him over any of the sterile twats now.
"Look at his face!" When Hereford scored a screamer against Spurs in the fa Cup years ago.

No one is more annoying than matterface though he is awful.

big rons sovereign

"Look at his face!" When Hereford scored a screamer against Spurs in the fa Cup years ago.

No one is more annoying than matterface though he is awful.
Twatterface is almost the worst, Jim 'everything is shit unless Liverpool do it' Beglin wins that award.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Totally agree with those sentiments. Darren Fletcher on BT never ever shuts the f*** up. He must have pages and pages of stats to reel off. Others revel in the issues at United. The rugby commentator, the late, great Bill Mclaren, used to say a good commentator is like a good referee, you don’t notice them. Fletcher is one of the reasons, along with incessant drumming, I cancelled all the sports channels and I don’t miss them at all. Cricket is going the same way.
I've just fixed the Bill McLaren bit for you.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I find that woman one on match of the day annoying too, not because she's a woman, but her voice just comes off as wrong for commentary, like she's trying too hard to be more "blokey".
Haha I know who you meant and have thought the same.