Martin Tyler | Retiring

Quattro

Considering the dross that can be found on other sports TV and Radio channels, Tyler is far from the worst commentator.
He’s part of the EPL furniture.

Deery

Dreary
Gary Neville isn’t much better..

“Kane…..takes a shot…..from distance.”

Yeah Gary we know lad just watched it.

Chripper

Back in the day Andy Gray and Martin Tyler were, by far, the best commentary team. Just a shame that Rupert Murdock smeared Gray.

Andy Gray didn't like the idea of his phone being hacked by the Sun. Who da thunk it?

I still like Martin Tyler.

Matst1

Back in the day Andy Gray and Martin Tyler were, by far, the best commentary team. Just a shame that Rupert Murdock smeared Gray.

Andy Gray didn't like the idea of his phone being hacked by the Sun. Who da thunk it?

Any Gray is a massive cnut, bitter and hates untied

Chripper

Any Gray is a massive cnut, bitter and hates untied
I don't know him personally, so I don't know who he hates. Very much doubt he cares too much about United.

Be that as it may, best commentator and pundit in the EPL era. Far better than Jamie "It takes me 3 minutes to say something that should takes 20 seconds to say" Carragher.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I've never understood the hate because he basically just does what Sky want him to do - enthusiastically back the winners.

That's been their narrative for decades and certainly used to include favouring us when we were winning. Machedaaa etc.

With Sky it's always about making the current season's best clubs sound like the most important and amazing clubs since time immemorial.
You have to remember there are some adults who genuinely believe the media is "against" Man United. So yeah.

Matst1

I don't know him personally, so I don't know who he hates. Very much doubt he cares too much about United.

Be that as it may, best commentator and pundit in the EPL era. Far better than Jamie "It takes me 3 minutes to say something that should takes 20 seconds to say" Carragher.
So you didn’t hear what he and keys said to get them fired? Amy respect I had for him went out the window, and him and keys on Bein sports constantly take digs at untied, even when watching the highlights of our youth fa cup win.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
So you didn’t hear what he and keys said to get them fired? Amy respect I had for him went out the window, and him and keys on Bein sports constantly take digs at untied, even when watching the highlights of our youth fa cup win.
What's this about?

Chripper

I don't care what they said. And yeah, I know what they did... I also know that the video footage was in the Sky vault for x amount of years. Strange how it only saw the light of day when Gray sued the Murdock owned Sun, isn't it?

What a coincidink.

If you think the BBC or ITV or any other television studio in the world haven't recorded their male presenters acting like overgrown schoolboys, you are vastly naive.

Stuff like that goes on in every work place.

I'm not condoning it. Just telling it like it is.

Hell, have you see the Netflix show about Marilyn Monroe? Hollywood was build on a hill of misogyny and rape. There were a million Harvey Weinstein's.

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:

Gray was a terrific co-commentator, but he was also a pretty unpleasant person both in the Sky Studio/complex and away from it.

So many stories about his behaviour and the way he would conduct himself. To paint Gray as the victim is a bit rich.

Not talking about The Sun either. First hand accounts.

Chairman Steve

I’ve read a few stories over the years on Andy Gray and Richard Keys being massive cnuts at Sky, and how badly they treated everyone behind the camera, and this was all before the events that lead both of them getting sacked. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was like a Cilla Black thing where all those younger people who got treated like shit by them, got into senior positions later on and then helped to oust them from the screens and ensured that they never get another gig in the country.

Regarding Tyler though,I do remember him doing a radio interview once and someone asked if him and Gray were buddied up, and he kind of awkwardly said that he wasn’t friends with him, so I don’t think Tyler was like Keys and Gray.

Nero

He gets invited to the title reunion just because of his commentary on the game?

City desperate to fill seats again.

ShinjiNinja26

He’s a joke, wanking over Liverpool at every opportunity. Overstayed his welcome it’s time to feck off. Tyldesley and McCoist should be first choice commentators on Sky, done an excellent job in the Euros. How they were 2nd choice to fecking Sam Matterface and Lee Dixon I’ll never know.

Gazza

I don't care what they said. And yeah, I know what they did... I also know that the video footage was in the Sky vault for x amount of years. Strange how it only saw the light of day when Gray sued the Murdock owned Sun, isn't it?

What a coincidink.

If you think the BBC or ITV or any other television studio in the world haven't recorded their male presenters acting like overgrown schoolboys, you are vastly naive.

Stuff like that goes on in every work place.

I'm not condoning it. Just telling it like it is.

Hell, have you see the Netflix show about Marilyn Monroe? Hollywood was build on a hill of misogyny and rape. There were a million Harvey Weinstein's.
:lol: Misogyny is fine because Sky held the tapes and other studios probably do the same thing. I'm just telling it like it is!

Yeah, ok.

Chripper

He’s a joke, wanking over Liverpool at every opportunity. Overstayed his welcome it’s time to feck off. Tyldesley and McCoist should be first choice commentators on Sky, done an excellent job in the Euros. How they were 2nd choice to fecking Sam Matterface and Lee Dixon I’ll never know.
Who doesn't? I wish we were as good as Liverpool.

:lol: Misogyny is fine because Sky held the tapes and other studios probably do the same thing. I'm just telling it like it is!

Yeah, ok.
Yes...?

Who said misogyny is fine? Have you been drinking? ...are you actually Gazzy?!

If you (or anyone) thinks that Andy Gray was fired for his antics, as pathetic as they were, then I'd like to sell you some magic beans.

I'll put this as simply as possible:

Rupert Murdock (Sun/News of the World and Sky owner) was being sued by Andy Gray (among others) for tapping his phone. Rupert Murdock didn't like being sued by employee, so he used the leverage that he had by smearing Andy Gray.

They used archived footage to smear him.

If every presenter/pundit got fired by being caught doing something that they shouldn't, off air, whilst the camera was running, there would be a lot of empty television studios.

Take a wee look at Bill O'Reilly threatening an airport worker with violence and threatening to get them fired. Did he get fired? Nope. I think that behaviour is a bit worse than some sexist comments and/or laughing at footage of a woman’s football match.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Read the article. He talks openly about it. WW are his hobby.
As a Wycombe fan I can clear this up.

Clearly he started off as a Liverpool fan as a boy, taking numerous busses etc to go to games etc and will always have an allegiance to them.
But since being involved with Wycombe for 30+ years he's moved more to being a Wycombe fan.

It's not a "hobby", he lives close to Wycombe, goes to many games and he posts frequently on our fan forum and suchlike for goodness sake, and wanted us to beat Liverpool in the FA Cup semi in 2001 etc.

Gazza

Who doesn't? I wish we were as good as Liverpool.

Yes...?

Who said misogyny is fine? Have you been drinking? ...are you actually Gazzy?!

If you (or anyone) thinks that Andy Gray was fired for his antics, as pathetic as they were, then I'd like to sell you some magic beans.

I'll put this as simply as possible:

Rupert Murdock (Sun/News of the World and Sky owner) was being sued by Andy Gray (among others) for tapping his phone. Rupert Murdock didn't like being sued by employee, so he used the leverage that he had by smearing Andy Gray.

They used archived footage to smear him.

If every presenter/pundit got fired by being caught doing something that they shouldn't, off air, whilst the camera was running, there would be a lot of empty television studios.

Take a wee look at Bill O'Reilly threatening an airport worker with violence and threatening to get them fired. Did he get fired? Nope. I think that behaviour is a bit worse than some sexist comments and/or laughing at footage of a woman’s football match.

This is hilarious. I don't care why Sky released it. That is a completely separate issue to Andy Gray subjecting female coworkers to his rancid comments. You are using some bizarre 'what about this' logic, and then bringing up Bill O'Reilly to back up your point, brilliant. I'm perfectly fine with every presenter or pundit getting fired for being a sexist prat in the workplace.

Mick1991

Forgot hairy hands was still kickin on bein. Watching him and Gray get ousted for the prats they are was beautiful.

Loon

As a Wycombe fan I can clear this up.

Clearly he started off as a Liverpool fan as a boy, taking numerous busses etc to go to games etc and will always have an allegiance to them.
But since being involved with Wycombe for 30+ years he's moved more to being a Wycombe fan.

It's not a "hobby", he lives close to Wycombe, goes to many games and he posts frequently on our fan forum and suchlike for goodness sake, and wanted us to beat Liverpool in the FA Cup semi in 2001 etc.
That's fair enough.

Chripper

This is hilarious. I don't care why Sky released it. That is a completely separate issue to Andy Gray subjecting female coworkers to his rancid comments. You are using some bizarre 'what about this' logic, and then bringing up Bill O'Reilly to back up your point, brilliant. I'm perfectly fine with every presenter or pundit getting fired for being a sexist prat in the workplace.
You know, the condescending "This is hilarious" and "brilliant" don't actually cut any ice with me.

Behaviour like that is transparent. You'd make far more impact if you eradicated stuff like that as it's just reactionary. And, kinda exposes self esteem issues.

Fine. Let's fire everyone who makes an offensive joke. Let's cancel every single comedian that's ever said something which may have offended a human being, past and present. Better yet, let's publicly flog them. No. No. No. Public hanging. Let's make this a sterile world where we need permission from every single person in the world before we can express an opinion and/or make a quip.

What a great world, void of any individualism.

Thank you.

Hey, I'm not sticking up for the man, but it would appear that there's still this misconception as to why he was fired. The public were told that he was fired due to inappropriate conduct in the workplace, but that is a lie.

But seriously, enough with the condescension.

Gazza

You know, the condescending "This is hilarious" and "brilliant" don't actually cut any ice with me.

Behaviour like that is transparent. You'd make far more impact if you eradicated stuff like that as it's just reactionary. And, kinda exposes self esteem issues.

Fine. Let's fire everyone who makes an offensive joke. Let's cancel every single comedian that's ever said something which may have offended a human being, past and present. Better yet, let's publicly flog them. No. No. No. Public hanging. Let's make this a sterile world where we need permission from every single person in the world before we can express an opinion and/or make a quip.

Thank you.

Hey, I'm not sticking up for the man, but it would appear that there's still this misconception as to why he was fired. The public were told that he was fired due to inappropriate conduct in the workplace, but that is a lie.

Your posts here are worthy of nothing more than condescension but ok, next time I'll resort to suggesting someone has been drinking because they disagree with me, which is clearly more in keeping with your mature style of posting.

Chripper

Your posts here are worthy of nothing more than condescension but ok, next time I'll resort to suggesting someone has been drinking because they disagree with me, which is clearly more in keeping with your mature style of posting.
Nope. You posted a laughing emoji and suggested that I said that misogyny is fine, when I said nothing of the sort.

I mean it, though. Try not to "go there". With most people you'll get away with it, but not with everyone.

:)

Red-17

Thank you.

Amazing to see people still defending sexual harassment and blatant misogyny. Lets pretend that workplace harassment is the same thing as comedians telling edgy jokes and just say it's cancel culture. Stop pretending you aren't sticking up for him when you very clearly are by handwaving what he said and did.

Chripper

Amazing to see people still defending sexual harassment and blatant misogyny. Lets pretend that workplace harassment is the same thing as comedians telling edgy jokes and just say it's cancel culture. Stop pretending you aren't sticking up for him when you very clearly are by handwaving what he said and did.
I'm not sticking up for anyone. He got fired and deserved to get fired. There's no room for that kind of nonsense anywhere, nor should it be tolerated.

But it's not WHY he got fired. He got fired because he was suing his boss.

The footage was in the vault for years. Why didn't they release it when it happened? Why did they have to wait till Gray was suing the News of the World before releasing it?

That is my point. Cover ups after cover ups

Last edited:

meamth

Martin Tyler is like Cristiano to commentating, he can still do it in the Premier League. Not going to stop!

Loon

Peter Dury is a massive fanny. He’s even worse that Tyler with his waxing lyrical.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Peter Dury is a massive fanny. He’s even worse that Tyler with his waxing lyrical.
Saw an interview with him where he said that he commentates on every game like it's a privilege to be there because to the fans it's always special. I can get behind that.

Martin Tyler commentates every Sky game because... he's experienced? Because it's easier than replacing him? The guy doesn't care anymore and commentates on every game like he can't wait to get home and catch up on The Chase.

Give me a commentator who loves the sport over one going through the motions any day.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Saw an interview with him where he said that he commentates on every game like it's a privilege to be there because to the fans it's always special. I can get behind that.

Martin Tyler commentates every Sky game because... he's experienced? Because it's easier than replacing him? The guy doesn't care anymore and commentates on every game like he can't wait to get home and catch up on The Chase.

Give me a commentator who loves the sport over one going through the motions any day.
Was there anything exciting about Southampton giving Liverpool the quite obvious to see comeback? The minute Minamino scored the game was dead.

Fake excitement is the worst IMO. Commentators these days seem to want to make out what they've just seen is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'm sure if there is a genuine surprise on Sunday they'll get some excitement.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
God forbid someone show some actual passion and excitement for the sport! He’s the best in the business by a mile, made so many goals better through commentary alone.

JB7

Is every game special for the fans? News to me.

Loon

Tyler’s appalling as well, but I expect he would give the exact same response as Drury.

My mate loves football, but it doesn’t mean I would enjoy his commentary. Drury just doesn’t work for me.