Gaming Marvel’s Avengers videogame (PS4, XB1 and free next gen upgrade)

Bojan11

Looks surprisingly decent.

Beta for preorders starts on 7th August. Open beta is 14th August.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Yeah does look like it might be decent. My only issue is adding yet another loot rpg game to my collection and then finding the time to play them all.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Bloody modern gaming is shit. Back in the day, you'd have so much fun playing the story with a friend/sibling on co-op, but everything has to be online now. This would've been perfect for some local co-op.

GaryLifo

It's not the greatest game I've ever played, but I still enjoyed playing the beta last weekend on ps4.

My son is 6 years old and we were able to team up and smash robots with superhero powers.

Once you get beyond the story content of the beta, I was getting Warframe vibes from the repeatable missions. This is a game you can jump into for 30 minutes, smash some stuff up, level up a bit and get some loot. It's also very playing with mates while chatting about other stuff friendly.

I can see why people didn't like it or were dramatically cancelling their pre-orders within seconds of playing the opening mission - then making sure to go online to say just how hard they hit the cancel button.

I'm still going to buy it and I'll easily get 50 plus hours out of it. I've got 3000 hours in destiny and 300 hours in monster hunter so I'm no stranger to games that have lots of repeatable elements and looting.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's not the greatest game I've ever played, but I still enjoyed playing the beta last weekend on ps4.

My son is 6 years old and we were able to team up and smash robots with superhero powers.

Once you get beyond the story content of the beta, I was getting Warframe vibes from the repeatable missions. This is a game you can jump into for 30 minutes, smash some stuff up, level up a bit and get some loot. It's also very playing with mates while chatting about other stuff friendly.

I can see why people didn't like it or were dramatically cancelling their pre-orders within seconds of playing the opening mission - then making sure to go online to say just how hard they hit the cancel button.

I'm still going to buy it and I'll easily get 50 plus hours out of it. I've got 3000 hours in destiny and 300 hours in monster hunter so I'm no stranger to games that have lots of repeatable elements and looting.
3000 hours!

I thought I was bad with almost 2000 on Overwatch.

GaryLifo

3000 hours!

I thought I was bad with almost 2000 on Overwatch.
That's over the course of 6 years destiny 1 and 2 combined, but yeah... it's still a lot of hours.

Actually wasted on destiny tracker has me at 2600 hours, but that doesn't include any time spent in orbit or in social spaces, so I'm pretty sure you add that back in and I'm easily over 3000 hours.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Overwatch is brilliant tbf, can’t believe I sold it very tempted to get it again.
I keep thinking that but then I remind myself that there has been probably been a dozen maps, half a dozen characters and countless reworks since I last played it. I'd be completely lost.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I keep thinking that but then I remind myself that there has been probably been a dozen maps, half a dozen characters and countless reworks since I last played it. I'd be completely lost.
True! Tbf I was pretty useless at it, basically played as reindhart or the big gorilla man.

Woodzy

Bought the Deluxe Edition for Early Access and can't even download the thing. Not impressed.

Bojan11

Bought the Deluxe Edition for Early Access and can't even download the thing. Not impressed.
Why? What format?

Got the deluxe on PSN as that seems to be the go to format for this game.

Woodzy

Why? What format?

Got the deluxe on PSN as that seems to be the go to format for this game.
Xbox One. I think it's bugging out, as it definitely recognises the purchase and says it's owned.

Ekeke

Watched several hours of a stream doing the storyline missions. I'm much more of a DC fan so I can resist buying this for now, but I have to say the game looks like it does a pretty good job of having a whole bunch of marvel characters in the universe and not just The Avengers which are obviously done to death in media. If DC had a game like this (which suicide squad and gotham knights may be down the line) I think I'd really enjoy it. But focusing specifically on this game, I think the only part I thought was certainly underwhelming so far were the enemies. Just loads of similarish roboguys. Maybe that changes after like 7 hours but for now thats probably whats stopping me from buying it just yet. I do like all the potential customization you can do with the many different moves you can unlock etc.

Woodzy

Pretty enjoyable so far but some issues.

Nothing ground breaking in the gameplay, and in fact it could be a lot more polished, but I think being ‘decent’ combined with Marvel factor is making it enjoyable enough.

Story seems interesting although I did find the impact of the opening, which was clearly supposed to come across as a spectacle, a bit underwhelming in that regard.

Bojan11

Ouch.

Finished the campaign, but after that there was very little to do.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Good. I haven't played it but I seen it had 6 types of different premium currency. Good to see that kind of mobile bullshittery fail.

Bojan11

Good. I haven't played it but I seen it had 6 types of different premium currency. Good to see that kind of mobile bullshittery fail.
That’s just cosmetic. Doesn’t impact gameplay or levelling up.

Woodzy

It's a bit mad it failed really considering the Avengers/Marvel hype, but it really isn't a hugely enjoyable game.

I found it decent at best, and stopped playing it simply because i'd rather play other things.

That being said i'm going to give it another bash on next gen since it's a free upgrade.

Sylar

For comic based games, wouldn't you just copy all the best elements from the Spidey game (minus the swinging, but for the heroes they have other ways to get around) ? I mean for me thats the best game I've played In a long long time

Bojan11

Glad they have not given up on it yet as the game was decent but just lacked in content. The next-gen upgrade is out. It doesn't look like Spiderman is coming this year.

Need to include cross-play too.

GaryLifo

It's more of the same so far. Next gen load times are excellent and Hawkeye is fun, but really not so different from Kate Bishop as to really stand out.

The new missions can be completed in about 2 hours