Gaming Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Really enjoying the story in this game and think it's very well written personally. Better than a lot of the Marvel movies that get shit out.

I was actually thinking of doing a time trial of Manhattan and see how long it would take to swing the entire length. May have to give that a go...

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Read that each Spidey line in the open world has two takes. One normal and one where he's kinda straining to speak a little because he's mid-swing. Checked it out and it's true. Such a cool little detail.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Great game. Really enjoying it, doing everything I can to not do storyline missions. I don't want it to end quick .Swinging around New York, when you unlock some skills can be relaxing

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
So here's my best effort with the End to End & 3 Skyscraper Challenge. Photo finish with @Solius I'd say but definitely room for improvement there.

It's actually much harder than it seems. Nearly had a catastrophic failure atop the Empire State Building.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ooh very close. And yeah the top of the Empire State is a bitch :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Enjoying the whole

Prison break thing and all Spiderman's enemies escaping. I knew Doc Oc was coming and that there'd be more to the storyline but didn't expect that.

predator

Youth NITK
Anyone noticed how the empire state building appears in the reflection of almost every building?

Only a very minor issue and nitpicking but it's quite hard to stop noticing once you see it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Anyone noticed how the empire state building appears in the reflection of almost every building?

Only a very minor issue and nitpicking but it's quite hard to stop noticing once you see it.
Yeah that's because they've been very cheap (fair enough) with performance and only have 1 cubemap. A cubemap is rendered in engine from a specific point on a map, it then creates a panoramic texture of that spot which can then be applied to a reflective surface. It's why you'll never see a character in the reflection either. Very few games have actual reflections and those tend to be reserved for water. Some games have a cubemap in every room but those tend to be FPS games with very restrictive routes of gameplay. I.E. Open world games = impossible.

predator

Youth NITK
Yeah that's because they've
Yeah that's because they've been very cheap (fair enough) with performance and only have 1 cubemap. A cubemap is rendered in engine from a specific point on a map, it then creates a panoramic texture of that spot which can then be applied to a reflective surface. It's why you'll never see a character in the reflection either. Very few games have actual reflections and those tend to be reserved for water. Some games have a cubemap in every room but those tend to be FPS games with very restrictive routes of gameplay. I.E. Open world games = impossible.
Interesting. Thanks!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
GTA has reflections right?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Horizon Zero Dawn had reflections of the environments in Aloy's eyes...

Blew my mind when I noticed it while messing around in photo mode.

Have no problem with Spiderman taking shortcuts like that when you've got an environment of glass towers to design around.

kouroux

Did Spiderman kill people? I see lots of thugs getting thrown off buildings, ledges. Having big, heavy objects thrown at them. Also a bit weird that nobody ever seems to be hurt, they can have cars, huge chunk of concrete all kinds of shit and yet they all just walk away. :lol:

It's pretty stupid. But looks beautiful and fun to play. Just moments like the above take you out of the immersion at times.
I hope you played the game to realize that none of the ennemies you throw off ledges actually reach the ground when the height is serious :lol:

kouroux

Yeah, I noticed later that they get spider webbed despite him not actually shooting any web at them. ;)
:) Am I the only one who is disappointed that the whole of New York couldn't be reached ?

A fan asked them to put the proposal in the game... but his girlfriend left him for his brother a few weeks before the official release

https://gamerant.com/spider-man-proposal-breakup/
:lol: I think she was gonna leave him regardless, she was just waiting for any excuse but to be with his bro ?? That's fecked on her part and the bro

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So I may have just bought the PS4 500gb and Spider-Man bundle for £249.99 on Amazon...

Woodzy

The story gets a bit epic towards the end! As soon as...

Martin Li is sent to prison and there's a prison break. Unfortunately it feels like there isn't much more of the game left.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The story gets a bit epic towards the end! As soon as...

Martin Li is sent to prison and there's a prison break. Unfortunately it feels like there isn't much more of the game left.
Yeah I feel like I’m going to finish it today. Which makes me sad.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Sunset is undoubtedly the best time of day to just swing around in this game. The game looks absolutely stunning during this time and it's so serene.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It’s annoying how similar the boss fights are. Such an amazing and well put together story, they could’ve thought of a few new ways to do the boss fights. They’re too easy too.

Sigma

I'm not a gamer so I won't play this game/don't have the means to, but I skimmed through this video of the whole story of the game. Pretty cool.

Obvisouly spoilers.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah I feel like I’m going to finish it today. Which makes me sad.
How long is it?

In a world of 25-30 hour AAA games and 80-100 hour RPG's I find it difficult to shell out €60 for shorter games, unless they're made by Naughty Dog.

Jev

How long is it?

In a world of 25-30 hour AAA games and 80-100 hour RPG's I find it difficult to shell out €60 for shorter games, unless they're made by Naughty Dog.
Main story about 15 hours, completionist probably double that.

Perfect length I'd say. So many games today are way too long. It's weird how length has become a stable of quality in games. You'd never buy a ticket to see a movie only because it was eight hours long. Games like Dragon Age: Inquisition and Persona 5 drag on to an extend that you're just begging for them to finish by the end. Much better to have a tighter scripted story and leave you wanting more than to leave you worn out.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Main story about 15 hours, completionist probably double that.

Perfect length I'd say. So many games today are way too long. It's weird how length has become a stable of quality in games. You'd never buy a ticket to see a movie only because it was eight hours long. Games like Dragon Age: Inquisition and Persona 5 drag on to an extend that you're just begging for them to finish by the end. Much better to have a tighter scripted story and leave you wanting more than to leave you worn out.
Games aren't just a story though. Whilst I appreciate you have an opinion, the second you reference films like that it all falls down.

Will you be buying the DLC btw?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The story in this was pretty shit though, not really sure why people are thinking it's good. The only thing it had going for it was Otto who was voice acted well (despite his motivation being all over the place at times). Even Spiderman was a drab annoyance with the constant swooning over the dick that is MJ. Miles was alright though and the final scene with him and Spiderman was certainly Avengers like and fun. But a lot of the dialogue didn't actually make sense in context of the what was happening on screen. It's fun, but it's also pretty repetitive after a while with not enough variety in quests. Think the game would have been better without the MJ segments frankly, I get they wanted her to do something, but walking around with a tazer against armed guards is laughably dumb. I think that actually sums up my feelings on this game, it's dumb. Perhaps i'm not enough of a comic book nerd to enjoy it (I really like the old cartoon though).

For me, God of War for example took a huge, huge dump on this game in terms of story and characters.

kouroux

The story in this was pretty shit though, not really sure why people are thinking it's good. The only thing it had going for it was Otto who was voice acted well (despite his motivation being all over the place at times). Even Spiderman was a drab annoyance with the constant swooning over the dick that is MJ. Miles was alright though and the final scene with him and Spiderman was certainly Avengers like and fun. But a lot of the dialogue didn't actually make sense in context of the what was happening on screen. It's fun, but it's also pretty repetitive after a while with not enough variety in quests. Think the game would have been better without the MJ segments frankly, I get they wanted her to do something, but walking around with a tazer against armed guards is laughably dumb. I think that actually sums up my feelings on this game, it's dumb. Perhaps i'm not enough of a comic book nerd to enjoy it (I really like the old cartoon though).

For me, God of War for example took a huge, huge dump on this game in terms of story and characters.
The setting makes it easier for GOW to have a better history.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I'm not a comic book nerd in the slightest. I don't watch any of the superhero movies but this game was still really fun.

I need to do all districts and then I need all costumes for 100%, I've never 100% a game before. Feel like getting the challenge tokens for the suits isn't worth the anger though.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Will probably wrap the story up tonight. Then i'll move on to all the side activities, etc. This will probably be my 23rd platinum just 'cause it's so damn fun.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The setting makes it easier for GOW to have a better history.
I'm not sure I agree with the end result though. The setting matters hugely, but to tell a story the imagination still has to be there.

Spiderman kind of just goes along the same old trodden path, whereas GOW uses the path in it's own way.

Yeah I'm not a comic book nerd in the slightest. I don't watch any of the superhero movies but this game was still really fun.

I need to do all districts and then I need all costumes for 100%, I've never 100% a game before. Feel like getting the challenge tokens for the suits isn't worth the anger though.
The game is dumb and not creative in the slightest but it's fun, and that's the most important thing. So why did they bother making the challenges so by-the-book and fake difficult? They aren't hard as in challenging, they are just poorly thought out and made to seem hard rather than letting you just use spidey in creative ways to enjoy them.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So i finally completed the story last night. Overall i thought the writing was quite strong, with some very good voice acting. I really disliked the stealth missions for the most part. There was one where it wasn't so bad, but i could've really have down without them. The big set pieces were fun, although they were extremely backloaded as most of the action took place in act 3. Considering the type of game this is, and the universe it's inhabiting, i suppose that par for the course.

The game is so much fun though. I still have collectibles and side missions to do which i probably will end up doing to platinum the game. The traversal is so good that the next time i play another huge, open world game it's probably going to seem like a chore to get around just 'cause i've been spoilt with this one. I thought the combat was good, also. It's not simply a clone of the Arkham games, imo. While there are similarities, of course, i much preferred this one. With Spider-Man having the sort of powers he has, i thought the combat was way more varied and fast paced if you wanted it to be. The big "execution" moves were also varied enough that they didn't become boring.

So yeah - very good game overall, and highly recommended.

Jev

So i finally completed the story last night. Overall i thought the writing was quite strong, with some very good voice acting. I really disliked the stealth missions for the most part. There was one where it wasn't so bad, but i could've really have down without them. The big set pieces were fun, although they were extremely backloaded as most of the action took place in act 3. Considering the type of game this is, and the universe it's inhabiting, i suppose that par for the course.

The game is so much fun though. I still have collectibles and side missions to do which i probably will end up doing to platinum the game. The traversal is so good that the next time i play another huge, open world game it's probably going to seem like a chore to get around just 'cause i've been spoilt with this one. I thought the combat was good, also. It's not simply a clone of the Arkham games, imo. While there are similarities, of course, i much preferred this one. With Spider-Man having the sort of powers he has, i thought the combat was way more varied and fast paced if you wanted it to be. The big "execution" moves were also varied enough that they didn't become boring.

So yeah - very good game overall, and highly recommended.
Agree mostly, although I much prefer Arkham. Better story, better characters, better mood, better stealth and a more measured and varied campaign.

This has still been great fun, though, I never get tired of just swinging around. Have been doing all the collectibles stuff and enjoyed trying to triple-star the challenges to get all the gear. I'm down to just a few suit modifiers and a couple of story missions now, trying to postpone the ending.