5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiagoal

He's played there occasionally but he's always been a 10, his long term future certainly ain't at DLP. He's usually employed at the point of the midfield three or as the out and out number 10, Traore, Levitt, Galbraith, Hamilton and Garner all play deeper than him for the U19s and U23s.
For the U19's he's exclusively played as a DLP, so would guess the likes of Nicky Butt see this as his prime position? Personally I'd prefer him further forward where his passes can unlock the defence!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
For the U19's he's exclusively played as a DLP, so would guess the likes of Nicky Butt see this as his prime position? Personally I'd prefer him further forward where his passes can unlock the defence!
I must be mis-remembering then.

United58

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-mason-greenwood-psg-15936458

The inside story on the making of Mason Greenwood at Manchester United
“I think he turned up at a Great Britain under-13 100m sprint race and broke the Great Britain record. All the athletics people were after him at one point. Athletically he’s unbelievable.”

He's a monster, I can't wait to see him develop with us :drool:

I love reading up about our youth academy and how we nurture players with positive football, thanks for sharing the article :)

Rimur

Imagine making your debut in that game, and that happening just a few minutes later. Great for him. What a way to start your career. Hope we see a bit more of him between now and the end of the season.

Did they not have a shirt ready for him for the game? Looked like his shirt has PSG's lettering and numbering on the back.
A lot of people in the China based forum also said the same thing

RooneyLegend

“I think he turned up at a Great Britain under-13 100m sprint race and broke the Great Britain record. All the athletics people were after him at one point. Athletically he’s unbelievable.”

He's a monster, I can't wait to see him develop with us :drool:

I love reading up about our youth academy and how we nurture players with positive football, thanks for sharing the article :)
How come his speed is barely mentioned here?

SaidA_12

So he isn't quicker than Rashford?
Apparently in that article the coach said that he was “absolutely rapid and that because of his style, his pace is deceptive” something along those lines. So what I’m inferring from the article is that he could be rashford quick but that he’s not the type of player to rely on pace and hit the ball and run tactics. Plus in the video on YouTube I see of him, he rarely gets into situations where he has to really chase for the ball, he’s more technical and gives clever passes and stuff considering he used to be a no.10 before.

I mean I wouldn’t be surprised if he was actually that quick as his family have probably got some mad genetics, his sister got a scholarship to university because of her athletic performances and apparently masons brother is an absolute unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
So he isn't quicker than Rashford?
No chance IMO - some players can pick up speed I guess as they transition into full maturity (Welbeck got quicker from his gangly teens) so I guess he will get quicker.

My impression is that he’s more deceptive in terms of little body shift and then bursting into space rather than a full on speed merchant like Rashford.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's also played more for the first team, been on the bench more for the first team and was playing u23 while Mason was still playing u18. Granted all because he's older, but that's also while he's further ahead in his development. If it's a choice between the 2 on the bench at weekend it'll likely be Chong that gets selected.
Not only because he’s older, but because he hasn’t been injured at the right time I think. I don’t believe Chong is ahead of Greenwood in any way. He’s older but is even physically less ready than Mason.

Gapingrocket

No chance IMO - some players can pick up speed I guess as they transition into full maturity (Welbeck got quicker from his gangly teens) so I guess he will get quicker.

My impression is that he’s more deceptive in terms of little body shift and then bursting into space rather than a full on speed merchant like Rashford.
I seem to remember an article by one of Gareth Bales youth coaches talking about this.

Bale was a national sprinter in his early teens but lost a lot of his pace as he grew, was obviously a supremely talented footballer so still made it.

Everyone thought his pace had gone, but his youth coach insisted it would come back once he was fully developed. And obviously it did (just ask Maicon...)

Not saying this is what’s happened to Greenwood but there is certainly precedent for it. He definitely doesn’t seem National Level sprinter quick.

Scary thought that he might still gain a yard or two of pace ...

EDIT: here is the article..

‘at 11 he was the 2nd fastest 50m sprinter in wales, you don’t lose that pace. But it didn’t really come back until he was 18/19’

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ered-gareth-bale-champions-league-real-madrid

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I seem to remember an article by one of Gareth Bales youth coaches talking about this.

Bale was a national sprinter in his early teens but lost a lot of his pace as he grew, was obviously a supremely talented footballer so still made it.

Everyone thought his pace had gone, but his youth coach insisted it would come back once he was fully developed. And obviously it did (just ask Maicon...)

Not saying this is what’s happened to Greenwood but there is certainly precedent for it. He definitely doesn’t seem National Level sprinter quick.

Scary thought that he might still gain a yard or two of pace ...

EDIT: here is the article..

‘at 11 he was the 2nd fastest 50m sprinter in wales, you don’t lose that pace. But it didn’t really come back until he was 18/19’

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ered-gareth-bale-champions-league-real-madrid
I hope there’s a hidden gear in Dalot too then. He’s already a great prospect, but if he had another gear then I may actually start subscribing to this whole ‘right sided Gareth Bale’ thing.

In Rainbows

Gomes is a 10, always has been, he's never a CM.
I disagree. He's always been a 10, but that doesn't mean his future is as a 10. De Jong used to be a 10. Verratti used to be a 10. If the skills they have are better used deeper, they will make it there.

Gomes has been excellent in CM when he's played for the u19 side.

“Angel has got the ability to play pretty much anywhere. He's a footballer so everyone automatically thinks he's an attacker but we like him in the pivot role to set up play and get the ball moving. He keeps possession and, in European football, keeping the ball is massive. If you don't keep possession in the middle of the park, it's going to be a struggle.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I disagree. He's always been a 10, but that doesn't mean his future is as a 10. De Jong used to be a 10. Verratti used to be a 10. If the skills they have are better used deeper, they will make it there.

Gomes has been excellent in CM when he's played for the u19 side.
I must say, @In Rainbows, I think you’re a good poster and I usually agree with what you say but I really disagree with what you’re saying here, Gomes will not be a DLP/CM here. He potentially does have the qualities to play there, but his exceptional qualities (I.e, the ones that make him special) are not suited to a CM role.

In Rainbows

I must say, @In Rainbows, I think you’re a good poster and I usually agree with what you say but I really disagree with what you’re saying here, Gomes will not be a DLP/CM here. He potentially does have the qualities to play there, but his exceptional qualities (I.e, the ones that make him special) are not suited to a CM role.
I disagree.

I've had some very small criticisms of Gomes these last 4 seasons and the crux of it was that Gomes sometimes is too passive. When he plays deeper, that burden is no longer there and thus that criticism is gone. A consistent excellent part of his game has always been his ability to pick up the ball from deep and advance the play as sometimes our team has a problem playing it out from the back. I'll note that O'Connor was probably the only one who did that apart from Gomes in that group of players.

When you look at Gomes skill set he's perfect for that Verratti, Modric, Xavi midfield role. He has an excellent first touch. His technical ability and low center of gravity with the ball makes opposing defenders ease up on their pressing because he can all of a sudden make a convincing feint, pass it on, or carry the ball with his close control. He's also great at 1 touch passing.

Out of all of our midfielders Gomes has the best chance at becoming that type of midfielder. Levitt, who I think actually has a better weight of passing than Gomes, is not as nimble as Gomes. He's a bit like Gribbin and Januzaj (though not a #10) in that he has great technique, and elegance, but is a slight hair slower than Gomes in getting rid of the ball, or feinting defenders, etc... I don't know how else I can describe that trait. I don't believe that kind of midfielder is often like Levitt, who I believe could be a good #8.

I'm not quite sure why you think his exceptional qualities aren't suited for the position. A midfielder like that also participates in attack, they're just more of a constant force in distributing the ball, and being the best at retaining possession. My only criticism of Gomes for that position is that he's not as consistent in his defensive duty, but usually that happens when he doesn't play deeper. In the u19s, when he was deployed deeper, he actually did really well with defending and what's more important is that those kind of midfielders aren't some defensive monster. De Jong, Verratti, Xavi, Scholes (older), and Modric contribute defensively, but compare that to actual defensive midfielders and it's night an day.

BTW, that quote I had in my earlier post came from Nicky Butt. He also believes Gomes could be that type of midfielder.

Last edited:

POF

Gomes would be fine in a deeper role when on the ball but he's so lacking physically that it will be a number of years (if ever) before he has the defensive capability for that role. With Pogba already in the midfield 3 and basically an ever present, it's really hard to see a midfield 3 of X, Gomes and Pogba being good enough defensively.

The best Gomes can expect is an impact role against a parked bus like Mata vs Burnley. Otherwise, he'll be in the front 3 if he plays at all.

Of the 4 youngsters, even though they are the youngest, Greenwood and Garner are likely to be genuine first team squad players before the other 2.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I disagree.

I've had some very small criticisms of Gomes these last 4 seasons and the crux of it was that Gomes sometimes is too passive. When he plays deeper, that burden is no longer there and thus that criticism is gone. A consistent excellent part of his game has always been his ability to pick up the ball from deep and advance the play as sometimes our team has a problem playing it out from the back. I'll note that O'Connor was probably the only one who did that apart from Gomes in that group of players.

When you look at Gomes skill set he's perfect for that Verratti, Modric, Xavi midfield role. He has an excellent first touch. His technical ability and low center of gravity with the ball makes opposing defenders ease up on their pressing because he can all of a sudden make a convincing feint, pass it on, or carry the ball with his close control. He's also great at 1 touch passing.

Out of all of our midfielders Gomes has the best chance at becoming that type of midfielder. Levitt, who I think actually has a better weight of passing than Gomes, is not as nimble as Gomes. He's a bit like Gribbin and Januzaj (though not a #10) in that he has great technique, and elegance, but is a slight hair slower than Gomes in getting rid of the ball, or feinting defenders, etc... I don't know how else I can describe that trait. I don't believe that kind of midfielder is often like Levitt, who I believe could be a good #8.

I'm not quite sure why you think his exceptional qualities aren't suited for the position. A midfielder like that also participates in attack, they're just more of a constant force in distributing the ball, and being the best at retaining possession. My only criticism of Gomes for that position is that he's not as consistent in his defensive duty, but usually that happens when he doesn't play deeper. In the u19s, when he was deployed deeper, he actually did really well with defending and what's more important is that those kind of midfielders aren't some defensive monster. De Jong, Verratti, Xavi, Scholes (older), and Modric contribute defensively, but compare that to actual defensive midfielders and it's night an day.

BTW, that quote I had in my earlier post came from Nicky Butt. He also believes Gomes could be that type of midfielder.
I agree with everything. My hope for Gomes is that he can become a player similar to the ones you mention. I’m not sure he has any other chance.

Barcelona would have given him growth hormons.

In Rainbows

Gomes would be fine in a deeper role when on the ball but he's so lacking physically that it will be a number of years (if ever) before he has the defensive capability for that role. With Pogba already in the midfield 3 and basically an ever present, it's really hard to see a midfield 3 of X, Gomes and Pogba being good enough defensively.

The best Gomes can expect is an impact role against a parked bus like Mata vs Burnley. Otherwise, he'll be in the front 3 if he plays at all.

Of the 4 youngsters, even though they are the youngest, Greenwood and Garner are likely to be genuine first team squad players before the other 2.
I don't agree that Pogba and Gomes can't be good enough defensively if there is another defensive midfielder to compliment them. Was Xavi, Verratti, Modric, old Scholes, etc... defensive midfielders? No. They contribute defensively because they know their role and know they need to help out defensively. Gomes has demonstrated this trait when played deeper. As a 10, he doesn't show it. It's all about mentality or rather the pressure that comes with the job's role. One position demands that defensive duty and another makes it a bit optional.

I just selected random matches of theirs. I don't see those performances as something that require height, power, or some defensive talent. I see metronomes, who contribute defensively, have great technique, and can contribute to the attack. BTW, all those guys used to be #10s at youth level. Well, I'm unsure of Xavi, but the others I'm sure of.

Last edited:

POF

I don't agree that Pogba and Gomes can't be good enough defensively if there is another defensive midfielder to compliment them. Was Xavi, Verratti, Modric, old Scholes, etc... defensive midfielders? No. They contribute defensively because they know their role and know they need to help out defensively. Gomes has demonstrated this trait when played deeper. As a 10, he doesn't show it. It's all about mentality or rather the pressure that comes with the job's role. One position demands that defensive duty and another makes it a bit optional.

I just selected random matches of theirs. I don't see those performances as something that require height, power, or some defensive talent. I see metronomes, who contribute defensively, have great technique, and can contribute to the attack. BTW, all those guys used to be #10s at youth level. Well, I'm unsure of Xavi, but the others I'm sure of.
Take the English based players. Modric started his career in England out wide due to defensive limitations and Scholes had Keane doing his defensive work for him and even then, was left out for Butt in bigger games, that's even with defensive savvy wingers in Giggs and Beckham on either side.

Both as they got more experienced got better defensively. They became stronger and more defensively astute. Gomes could do that but (as I said) that is at least a few years away.

Verratti isn't comparable at all. He's quite aggressive and is defensively savvy. Xavi is one of the best midfield players of all time and played in a team with such a different style than United ever will.

I'm not saying Gomes can't play there. I'm just saying that he's only really played the role in Europe at u19 level. To develop the defensive acumen to compensate for his lack of physicality will take time if he can do it at all.

Tony247

He is small in size but very young. I hope he has growth spurt and beefs up.

We need an rvn

Just had to check I was in the greenwood thread as it's all been about gomes on this page.

Doubt mason will be on the bench today with the injured players coming back. Be nice to see him get some cameo performances by the end of the season though

NYAS

Just had to check I was in the greenwood thread as it's all been about gomes on this page.

Doubt mason will be on the bench today with the injured players coming back. Be nice to see him get some cameo performances by the end of the season though
It’s really only between him and Chong for one of the attacking places on the bench. Martial/Rashford will be the other.

In Rainbows

I honestly don't get Chong being the preferred option on the bench. We'll see what happens today, but Greenwood is stronger and is more mature in his play. Chong is a little more rash at this point.

SteveW

What? Greenwood isn't small. Has to be at least 5'8.
Maybe compared to Lukaku and McTominay..

He's probably around the 5' 10 or 11" mark - he's also relatively strong for his age.
Greenwood's over 6 foot and looks like he's still growing. He's got a very solid build for his age too. He's going to be a big lad.

SteveW

Barely following the conversation, but I think that poster was referring to Gomes.

Keep it on topic lads.
I responded to two posts about Mason Greenwood in the Mason Greenwood thread. I'd consider that to be on topic.

In Rainbows

Greenwood's over 6 foot and looks like he's still growing. He's got a very solid build for his age too. He's going to be a big lad.
Mason actually looked stronger than Rashford when they were next to each other. Of course, Rashford is slightly taller.

Arsenal 2:0 Man Utd

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
In that short cameo looks like he has a better footballing brain than Rashford in terms of possession play.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's ready, I can't explain what it is but this kid is reareato play for the first team.
100% looks just as polished as the other attackers. Starting him is probably a little too early but 10-15 from the bench is good for him right now. I just hope he gets minutes in a game where we aren’t chasing it.

Anustart89

Said it in the match thread as well, you can immediately tell that he's good enough at this level. His technical skills are there for all to see, but he's comfortable in applying them in a game like this and doesn't shy away from the ball. In terms of his physique you couldn't tell that he was smaller or slower than his opponents so I'd say he should get the chance to play more. Has to be at the top of the pecking order from the kids.

ManRed

I guess the only positive from this game. Look so composed on the ball and moved it really well too.

bdecuc

Looked really composed. Up to the pace of it. His passing was very crisp. He looks big enough physically. Give him more minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.