Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I haven't seem him play apart from youtube and the cameos, but why do you think he will turn out so good? To me he looks like he has a good chance of making it at United, but anymore than that is pure guesswork. Has he done something special, or do you like his consistency, temperament?
The fact he's literally 2 footed, he can shoot amazingly with both feet. His shooting is usually very hard low and in the corners.

His dribbling is very natural, he isn't a kick and run player but travels with the ball at high speed. He's very skillful and loves step overs as he approaches his marker, it works really well with his 2 footed ability as the defender can't guess which side he's going to turn.

His touch, passing and vision are top notch. He works very hard. He seems a big game player as he scored a hattrick against Chelsea in the FA youth cup, and 2 goals against liverpool in their recent derby.

He's very consistent, he has a 1:1 goal/game ratio this year. You just need to watch him to tell he's going to be absolutely class. Whenever I've watched him he's the best player on the pitch. I think we need to ease him into the first team like we've been doing, but I have full faith that he will take his chance when he gets it.

Trizy

I rate Rashford. I think he will be a good player and have a long career at United. Whether he ever becomes world class or not is hard to predict. He's a bit of a moments player right now. Flashes of quality with a lot of average stuff mixed in. Time will tell whether he can clean up the rough edges in his game and because a truly brilliant player. Either way if he never gets any better than now he'll still be a really good player for us.

Greenwood is a bit more interesting for me because he doesn't really have any rough edges in his game. Most young players have lots of good moments and bad moments, misplaced passes, poor decision making, loose touches etc. Mason doesn't really have this. Everything is just very clean. His touch is superb, his passing is crisp, accurate and well weighted with either foot, he makes the right decisions with the ball. The only times he ever seems to lose the ball is when he's trying to dribble past someone, which is expected.

That's a really good base to start from. On top of that you add pace, strength, extreme two footedness, excellent dribbling skills, powerful and accurate shooting with either foot and confidence and you have something potentially quite special. The ability to shoot equally powerfully off either side is huge for an attacker because it makes you almost unreadable for a defender.

I think he's someone who will walk into the team pretty soon and stay there because he does absolutely everything well. He doesn't seem to have off days with his general play. I guess the only factor I'm not certain of is how his pace will factor in to PL football. He seems very very quick and it's been claimed recently that he was potentially a very high level sprinter as a kid but it's difficult to really assess it from youth football and he's at an age where his real powerful running is probably still developing. If his pace turns out to be comparable with someone like Rashford I would say his ceiling is basically whatever he wants it to be.

Here's a video from a recent U18 match v Liverpool.

Takes his first touch with right and left foot
Dribbles and passes mostly with his left
Takes and scores 2 freekicks with his right
Takes corners with his left and right

This guy is gonna be insane :lol:. His balance when dribbling is fantastic, decision making, showing for the ball and passing is all very impressive for his age. It's like men against boys in that video.

This kid has world class wrote all over him.

ghagua

The fact he's literally 2 footed, he can shoot amazingly with both feet. His shooting is usually very hard low and in the corners.

His dribbling is very natural, he isn't a kick and run player but travels with the ball at high speed. He's very skillful and loves step overs as he approaches his marker, it works really well with his 2 footed ability as the defender can't guess which side he's going to turn.

His touch, passing and vision are top notch. He works very hard. He seems a big game player as he scored a hattrick against Chelsea in the FA youth cup, and 2 goals against liverpool in their recent derby.

He's very consistent, he has a 1:1 goal/game ratio this year. You just need to watch him to tell he's going to be absolutely class. Whenever I've watched him he's the best player on the pitch. I think we need to ease him into the first team like we've been doing, but I have full faith that he will take his chance when he gets it.

Just hope he turns out to be smarter than Rashford. Rashford is turning out to be a selfish player just looking out for himself which will eventually affect the team.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Just hope he turns out to be smarter than Rashford. Rashford is turning out to be a selfish player just looking out for himself which will eventually affect the team.
Rashford is technically and intellectually primitive - neither him nor Lingard will be anywhere near the England squad by 2022, such is the depth of attacking talent on the horizon for England.

Greenwood could be the most golden of that golden generation; he’s a fantastic footballer, and oozes elite class.

I can see Rashford staying around in the long term, and being a regular option from the bench etc, but if the club can keep Martial, cultivate Mason’s talent at a versatile #9£ and sign Sancho, there’s no way he eclipses and displaces any of those three.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Rashford is technically and intellectually primitive - neither him nor Lingard will be anywhere near the England squad by 2022, such is the depth of attacking talent on the horizon for England.
Rashford is inconsistent, not 'primitive'. In terms of technical ability and decision making he can be great at times, while at others he's all over the place. I'm unsure if he'll be good enough to be our starting #9 throughout the majority of his career, but 'primitive' is going significantly overboard.

Loublaze

ATLien

Greenwood could be the most golden of that golden generation; he’s a fantastic footballer, and oozes elite class.

I can see Rashford staying around in the long term, and being a regular option from the bench etc, but if the club can keep Martial, cultivate Mason’s talent at a versatile #9 and sign Sancho, there’s no way he eclipses and displaces any of those three.
Wow, you must really not rate Rashford at all, you had to post that three times! This isn't Welbeck we're talking about. Rashford will go down as a United legend IMO, he's only going to get better from here on.

MDFC Manager

I can see Rashford staying around in the long term, and being a regular option from the bench etc, but if the club can keep Martial, cultivate Mason’s talent at a versatile #9£ and sign Sancho, there’s no way he eclipses and displaces any of those three.
Why is this blatant troll allowed on here?

0le

Rashford is an intelligent footballer. When Rashford first broke onto the scene, you could see his runs off the ball. What he lacks is consistency in his decision making. He perhaps get caught in two minds, but the ideas are there. Lingard is a very intelligent footballer too. His off the ball runs and movement is what other ex-players always talk about when they discuss Lingard. Both players have reasonable technique too. I think describing Rashford as primitive is hyperbole.

Regarding your comment about England 2022, well its quite a leap of faith. The majority of youth players considered "good" or "elite" do not make the next step. It might happen, but I'd say its unlikely. Also, whether or not they are picked for the international squad does not determine their ability. For example, Martial was not selected for France.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Dunno why this keeps having to turn into a Rashford vs Greenwood debate, like Rashford vs Martial does it really matter? They both play for us so we should want them to both do well. Rashford's definitely inconsistent and a little selfish but when he's on form he can be unplayable, he's definitely not "technically and intellectually primitive".

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Dunno why this keeps having to turn into a Rashford vs Greenwood debate, like Rashford vs Martial does it really matter? They both play for us so we should want them to both do well. Rashford's definitely inconsistent and a little selfish but when he's on form he can be unplayable, he's definitely not "technically and intellectually primitive".
Bingo - how lucky we are to have all 3.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

10 mins cameo vs 2 years of banging goals for Man United. What a judgement.

And if an "intellectually primitive" player has so many goals for United we must all be single digit IQ pawns?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly. Few also underestimate what Rashford has achieved in his short career and fail to see how hard it is to step up from youth level to first team.

It's great that these young players play for us, I will never understand how anyone can think Rashford is limited technically.

roonster09

Scout
Why is this blatant troll allowed on here?
He is not even ManUtd fan, he admitted he is a City fan somehow he is allowed to troll so blatantly.

This isn't even the worst post he made, that should tell everything.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Lines are being drawn in the sand for the next round of 'told you so's' about our own players.

In short, Greenwood will win the Ballon D'Or while Rashford sits at home using his primitive intellect to open a tub of Cart D'Or within 3 years.

You can quote me on that.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
How good is his dribbling?
Best ever - there's nothing he can't do. He's got 3 feet and has broken the land speed record. He eats footballs and shits them over the goal line like some amphetamine-crazed super snake. He's that good.

Raven

Exactly. Few also underestimate what Rashford has achieved in his short career and fail to see how hard it is to step up from youth level to first team.

It's great that these young players play for us, I will never understand how anyone can think Rashford is limited technically.
Because he's being compares to the likes of Martial and now Greenwood. Who are superior in a technical sense.

roonster09

Scout
Because he's being compares to the likes of Martial and now Greenwood. Who are superior in a technical sense.
He isn't limited technically compared to them. Martial can only dream of striking the ball like Rashford does and that's technical too.

Redo91

Doesn’t seem to be named in any of the England underage squads unless he made the under 17’s which I couldn’t find.

Raven

He isn't limited technically compared to them. Martial can only dream of striking the ball like Rashford does and that's technical too.
Mehh, it's like saying that Bale isn't limited technically in comparison to Neymar, because Neymar can only dream of striking a ball like Bale.

roonster09

Scout
Mehh, it's like saying that Bale isn't limited technically in comparison to Neymar, because Neymar can only dream of striking a ball like Bale.
Yeah but if we comparing to Neymar then yeah most are limited technically, not compared to Martial.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He scored 5 in half a season for Leyton Orient season. He would have been 17 at the time and turned 18 that Summer. It's good. To be on similar progression (albeit about 3 months older) Mason would need to go to league One in August and score 5 goals by Christmas. Its hypothetical.

Mason turned 17 about 4 months ago and has scored a nearly goal a game at U18 level for 2 seasons now so don't really see much difference there. Not gonna go searching for England stats.

I also think it's kinda pointless to judge these things on stats. 100s of kids have scored hatfuls in youth teams and never amounted to anything. My assesment is more based on visible strengths and weaknesses.

I realise you may not have meant this as a comparison and instead meant to make the point that Kane wasn't exactly unknown. If that's your point fair enough.

Also, any comparisons with Kane should be taken as flattering for any young player. Kane is a wonderful footballer.
Oh yea I was just pointing out that Kane was similarly a very highly rated youth player and was seen as a massive talent by Spurs and England. Comparing beyond that, like you said would involve hypotheticals and honestly just be semantics. Both huge talents at youth level. If Greenwood can follow in Kane's footsteps I'll be ecstatic.

Raven

Yeah but if we comparing to Neymar then yeah most are limited technically, not compared to Martial.
I wasn't comparing Rashford to Neymar though was I?

Edit: Rashford has areas of his game that are stronger than Martial, technicality isn't one of them.

roonster09

Scout
I wasn't comparing Rashford to Neymar though was I?
Well that's what I'm saying. If you compare Rashford to Neymar and say he is lacking technically then yeah, it's correct. Not compared to Martial.

The Nani

Ugh. Rashford is definitely limited technically. So was Chicharito. Doesn’t mean he can’t be useful.

Why can’t we just praise Greenwood’s talent.

All hail the the savior! He is come!

Raven

Well that's what I'm saying. If you compare Rashford to Neymar and say he is lacking technically then yeah, it's correct. Not compared to Martial.
Riiight. I don't really see any point in continuing this discussion.

edcunited1878

Really really need to relax about Greenwood. He's got raw, raw talent that is above his weight for a 17 year old. Let's see him involved in a goal first and foremost and see how he kicks on from there.

He's within the first team squad, albeit with injuries to Lingard and Mata. He hasn't played more than 25 minutes in a league game nor has he assisted or scored a goal.

Kiko Macheda has done more than Greenwood has in his two appearances. So let's just chill a bit and appreciate that United have another promising youngster. No need to build him up any further because he has not deserved it nor have we seen how he reacts to any successes in the first team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd rather him have less pressure than is being put on him now so he can be free from distractions.
You/we don’t get to determine that tbh. That’s basically like you saying you hope he was less good. The fact that he’s as talented as he is why the expectation is building.

Devil may care

He missed the Uefa Youth League game through illness but we'll know more tomorrow if he's in the travelling squad.
Hopefully it was a 24 hour bug as with Lukaku out there's a real chance for him to get some game time against Wolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.