5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

foolsgold

How about we see what he can do in the U23s before we talk about him playing centre forward for Manchester United ?

I think he scored 6 goals in the U23s last season, start him off there and if he's tearing up trees we can promote him to the first team.

He hasn't remotely earned a first team place yet, his main qualification appears to be not being Lukaku

AgentP

How about we see what he can do in the U23s before we talk about him playing centre forward for Manchester United ?

I think he scored 6 goals in the U23s last season, start him off there and if he's tearing up trees we can promote him to the first team.

He hasn't remotely earned a first team place yet, his main qualification appears to be not being Lukaku
He played on the right wing for us against Cardiff and had 3-4 good chances to score. That's already better than any other option we have on our RW. So I feel he should certainly be part of the first team but his position would be more RW than CF. He'll also get chances to play CF during the course of the season and it's upto him to take his chances.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Embarrassing and encouraging.

What are you afraid of ?

Barring injury the kid’s gonna be a worldie.
I'm hoping he's gonna fulfill his potential and reach the top, but there's a long way to yet for the kid. And I know the kid well. He's gonna have his ups and downs for sure being just 17. I get alittle nervous seeing all the praise after just one game.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's worrying to say the least. Many of our players have this mindset of passing it instead of being positive and relying on their technique to create things.
They pass the ball when they have room to create something, and take shots from silly positions when they should pass. Rashford fancy flick pass is always misplaced, Pogba dribling in his own half nearly always getting dispossessed, these are repeated mistakes through out the season. I loved how Greenwood kept it simple, it is in the attitude. Now he has great instincts obviously but worrying indeed for the rest of our team. It is a mental issue throughout the squad it seems which hopefully hasn't caught up to the youth yet, and I just hope it never will.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm hoping he's gonna fulfill his potential and reach the top, but there's a long way to yet for the kid. And I know the kid well. He's gonna have his ups and downs for sure being just 17. I get alittle nervous seeing all the praise after just one game.
Yeh. Your username was a good example. Almost everyone (including me) was guilty on overpraising him. Labeling him the next Kaka, Best, and Cruyff into one.

The Nani

Yeh. Your username was a good example. Almost everyone (including me) was guilty on overpraising him. Labeling him the next Kaka, Best, and Cruyff into one.
Honestly, I was never sold on Adnan as most were. Like Rashford, I thought he was potentially a good player but the hype was disproportionate to the talent.

The only academy products I’ve been this excited about were Pogba and Ravel. And since Greenwood by all accounts seems to be a down to earth lad with a good work ethic, I think it’s fair to expect him to make it and make it big.

He’s such a gifted footballer and a very clever one at that.

I just pray he stays healthy.

P.S. Not trying to toot my own horn. Just making the point that I don’t normally get misty-eyed about academy products.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just like RVP, he’s probably going to play more on the right & left during his career until he’s ready to step up to be lone striker.

In Rainbows

Honestly, I was never sold on Adnan as most were. Like Rashford, I thought he was potentially a good player but the hype was disproportionate to the talent.

The only academy products I’ve been this excited about were Pogba and Ravel. And since Greenwood by all accounts seems to be a down to earth lad with a good work ethic, I think it’s fair to expect him to make it and make it big.

P.S. Not trying to toot my own horn. Just making the point that I don’t normally get misty-eyed about academy products.
I was very high on Adnan. And I was very high on Adnan because he was motm in nearly every reserve match I watched. I wasn't that high on Adnan when Adnan switched his style of play into more of a dribbler as opposed to what made him shine in the reserves. His maturity on the pitch is what made me believe in him and he increasingly became more one track minded under Moyes.

Still, I don't think it's some negative to have believed in Adnan. He's doing well in La Liga right now, albeit he dealt with injury problems. A lot of us are getting more experienced at figuring out what can translate and what won't after seeing these youth matches. James Wilson was a big lesson for us because although he had a nice scoring record (with nice solo goals), his overall ability wasn't great like Mason's is. We can compare scoring stats at that level to those who have made it like Dembele, Tammy Abraham, Rossi, etc... and we can compare how great they were to players like Suso, Januzaj, and Rony Lopes.

I would be in favor of creating some database of United's top 30 prospects list for those of us into youth football. Something similar to baseball like this http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=la

Each player could be graded based on technique, pace, decision making, etc...

The Nani

I was very high on Adnan. And I was very high on Adnan because he was motm in nearly every reserve match I watched. I wasn't that high on Adnan when Adnan switched his style of play into more of a dribbler as opposed to what made him shine in the reserves. His maturity on the pitch is what made me believe in him and he increasingly became more one track minded under Moyes.

Still, I don't think it's some negative to have believed in Adnan. He's doing well in La Liga right now, albeit he dealt with injury problems. A lot of us are getting more experienced at figuring out what can translate and what won't after seeing these youth matches. James Wilson was a big lesson for us because although he had a nice scoring record (with nice solo goals), his overall ability wasn't great like Mason's is. We can compare scoring stats at that level to those who have made it like Dembele, Tammy Abraham, Rossi, etc... and we can compare how great they were to players like Suso, Januzaj, and Rony Lopes.

I would be in favor of creating some database of United's top 30 prospects list for those of us into youth football. Something similar to baseball like this http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=la

Each player could be graded based on technique, pace, decision making, etc...
Your last idea is a really interesting one. I’ve become more and more interested in youth football as it’s become so much easier to follow. Would be brilliant.

As for Adnan, as I said I still thought he’d be a very good player and could see why many were so high on him. And obviously time has shown him to be just that. My main reservation with him was his best position which at the time I saw as a classic flair #10 ala Ronaldinho which doesn’t translate to modern football as it used to, never mind in England. I also worried about his frame a bit, but that doesn’t always hold water for technical players. So maybe it wasn’t so much about Adnan but the type of player he was.

I will admit that even despite the lessons of Macheda and Fabio never mind Pogba and Ravel, I still had big hopes for Pereira. But I think he has been horribly mismanaged by the club and his confidence has suffered as a result. He was lucky to even manage to survive LvG considering his outlook on Brazilians and flair players in general. To go from playing as a wide attacker to playing as a #6 under Jose... What a shitshow.

Anyway, didn’t mean to derail the thread but I really find this conversation interesting. Especially when you consider that we currently have the best crop of youngsters coming through since the class of ‘92. Can’t wait to see more of Greenwood and co. next season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

I don't know. Adnan was seriously very good, imho. Not as impressive as Greenwood, but he showed so much promise.

But yeh agreed, Greenwood is really gifted. He reminds me of Salah more than RvP. RvP was eloquent where Salah is more explosive.

deafepl

I don't know. Adnan was seriously very good, imho. Not as impressive as Greenwood, but he showed so much promise.

But yeh agreed, Greenwood is really gifted. He reminds me of Salah more than RvP. RvP was eloquent where Salah is more explosive.
:lol::lol::lol:

Axle17

Watched a small highlight of Mason during the Cardiff game and what impressed me the most was his quick passing. Nothing fancy, just kept possession and passed quickly.
Something our other players have no comprehension of.
If only the "superstars" believed in this model, then we might create more chances.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Watched a small highlight of Mason during the Cardiff game and what impressed me the most was his quick passing. Nothing fancy, just kept possession and passed quickly.
Something our other players have no comprehension of.
If only the "superstars" believed in this model, then we might create more chances.
Yeh well, good luck to him and his quick passing when he has 10 team mates just looking at him rather than making any effort to receive a pass.

Mark Pawelek

He's much more technically gift than Rashford with his touch and dribbling. It's a question of mentality with Mason but he looked very confident the other day up to his finishing. I think after he plays more games he'll start to find that confidence.
That was his first game back from injury. Not 100% sharp. Early next season, I'd like to see him given more chances in the first team, after he's had 2 U23s games under his belt.

Axle17

Yeh well, good luck to him and his quick passing when he has 10 team mates just looking at him rather than making any effort to receive a pass.
I agree, if only we had similar minded players all working to the same rhythm, maybe then others will start to show some flare like Mason Greenwood.

AP88

Supports
Man City
The only thing that he needs to improve on substantially is his kicking technique - his shots aren’t necessarily powerful and as you could see in the Cardiff game, a lot of his passes were intercepted/required the recipient to move towards it to complete it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The only thing that he needs to improve on substantially is his kicking technique - his shots aren’t necessarily powerful and as you could see in the Cardiff game, a lot of his passes were intercepted/required the recipient to move towards it to complete it.
There's nothing wrong with his shots. I've played footy with this lad in the local parks and watched him closely coming through the ranks at United. He has more than enough power in his shots. He was a little anxious at times when he saw the opportunity open up for him and didn't connect like he normally does.

Thiagoal

He shoots the ball cleaner than any 17 year old I've ever seen

Mickson

He has no weaknesses. He's an absolute beast. Good in the air, powerful shooting with both feet, technique, strength, dribbling, passing, great understanding of the game, assists, goals. My only concern, which I think I wrote here earlier, is his...pace? I don't know how fast he is. I mean, I know he's quick but I think he sometimes can lack that extra yard of pace. He's no Rashford but that's maybe harsh. He certainly showed some speed against Cardiff with that dribble so maybe I'm just searching for something.

SteveW

He has no weaknesses. He's an absolute beast. Good in the air, powerful shooting with both feet, technique, strength, dribbling, passing, great understanding of the game, assists, goals. My only concern, which I think I wrote here earlier, is his...pace? I don't know how fast he is. I mean, I know he's quick but I think he sometimes can lack that extra yard of pace. He's no Rashford but that's maybe harsh. He certainly showed some speed against Cardiff with that dribble so maybe I'm just searching for something.
He's extremely quick. Heading is his only real weakness which he has mentioned he's working hard on.

Mickson

He's extremely quick. Heading is his only real weakness which he has mentioned he's working hard on.
Where did he mention that? I know he's quick, but I sometimes feel like he lacks that extra yard of pace, especially at a longer distance. But maybe I'm just making this up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Where did he mention that? I know he's quick, but I sometimes feel like he lacks that extra yard of pace, especially at a longer distance. But maybe I'm just making this up.
I think so.

He's fast enough put it that way. Being a good striker is more about being quick in the mind anyway, look at RVP / Aguero / Shearer / Rooney / Ibra etc.

None of them are what i'd call "rapid" but they're fast enough. Greenwood is certainly quick, but maybe not as fast as Rashford in top end speed - that's not really important anyway.

SteveW

End of season awards night.

I dont think he lacks pace over long distance. He's made some blistering runs from deep at times this season.

Mickson

I think so.

He's fast enough put it that way. Being a good striker is more about being quick in the mind anyway, look at RVP / Aguero / Shearer / Rooney / Ibra etc.

None of them are what i'd call "rapid" but they're fast enough. Greenwood is certainly quick, but maybe not as fast as Rashford in top end speed - that's not really important anyway.
Yeah I agree with that, I just wanted to say how complete he really is as a player.

Steve: Thanks.

RooneyLegend

He has deceptive pace. He was dribbling on the outside vs Cardiff and got past his marker relatively easily. It just looks to effortless to be fast but it is.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Can anyone think of a more two footed player? It's one thing to be extremely good with your weaker side like Cazorla or Pedro. With those two I can at least see what their natural side is, and I can't with Greenwood.

In Rainbows

You don’t remember the superlatives being thrown around when Wilson was a similar age?
Just watch the two players. I liked Wilson btw. Great finisher and had great pace. Underestimated the likelihood of translating that to first team level because of similar profiles (Chicha) making it at the top. However, Greenwood at a younger age has better goal scoring stats than Wilson in his best season, and Greenwood is the superior technical player. It's not even a comparison.

At least with a Wilson and Rashford comparison, we could genuinely point to Wilson being the superior finisher. Can't even give Wilson that in a comparison against Greenwood. The same is true with Rashford and Greenwood.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You don’t remember the superlatives being thrown around when Wilson was a similar age?
Wilson was so bang average. Even if Greenwood amounts to nothing in they’re worlds apart in terms of technical ability at this age.

In Rainbows

Wilson was so bang average. Even if Greenwood amounts to nothing in they’re worlds apart in terms of technical ability at this age.
Next time, if a similar player to Wilson (on technical ability) comes around, my standards for how good a finisher he needs to be will be much higher and I will be looking at Chicha like movement to compensate for that level of technical ability.

Tammy Abraham is a good standard. Think he scored 40 goals in his best season. I'm going to use him as a measuring stick for our future striker prospects. And even he is better technically than Wilson was.

I think it's good to compare goal scoring stats from those who have made it to the top level and those that did not. How good was Will Keane's goal scoring stats compared to Wilson, compared to Greenwood, Abraham, Dembele, etc...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Next time, if a similar player to Wilson (on technical ability) comes around, my standards for how good a finisher he needs to be will be much higher and I will be looking at Chicha like movement to compensate for that level of technical ability.

Tammy Abraham is a good standard. Think he scored 40 goals in his best season. I'm going to use him as a measuring stick for our future striker prospects. And even he is better technically than Wilson was.

I think it's good to compare goal scoring stats from those who have made it to the top level and those that did not. How good was Will Keane's goal scoring stats compared to Wilson, compared to Greenwood, Abraham, Dembele, etc...
Wilson’s finishing ability was good. Judging a young striker just by that is not going to get you anywhere - you need to look at their game as a whole and look for certain characteristics which you think will help them adapt to the men’s game at the elite level and could blossom into dangerous weapons against the big boys.

Nothing about Wilson outside of his goal record screamed top tier talent.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Mason Greenwood is my breakout star for next season. If he avoids injury I think he can become one of the players we remember long after he retires

Status
Not open for further replies.