Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He was our best player and came close to scoring on numberous occasions - something our other attackers have failed to do for a while.

You might not rate him which is fair enough, but the guy will be world class i'm sure of it.
It isn't fair enough. Anybody who's watched him knows he's a special talent. This guy is knocking him for not scoring against Cardiff in a team who was already on holidays. He was by far and away our best player that day.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It isn't fair enough. Anybody who's watched him knows he's a special talent. This guy is knocking him for not scoring against Cardiff in a team who was already on holidays. He was by far and away our best player that day.
I mean all people have opinions, it's not up for us to say whether he's "right or wrong" but the guy is rated by just about anybody that knows football.

As you say though, judging him from 1 game against Cardiff and saying he's not special when he was the best player on the pitch is a bit weird.

romufc

Lets not carried away. We have been in this situation a number of times with Janujaz, Macheda, Ravel Morrison, Cleverly. Only time will tell, alot of young players nowadays get hyped and do not live up to it.

SouthPredators4

He was our best player and came close to scoring on numberous occasions - something our other attackers have failed to do for a while.

You might not rate him which is fair enough, but the guy will be world class i'm sure of it.

Exactly...He created most of our chances, got into the best goalscoring positions and was the most dangerous player, despite playing on our right. On the contrary, Rashford and Lingard were anonymous. The boy could have scored 2 and finishing is the least of our concern when it comes to MG.

Adam-Utd

Lets not carried away. We have been in this situation a number of times with Janujaz, Macheda, Ravel Morrison, Cleverly. Only time will tell, alot of young players nowadays get hyped and do not live up to it.
While that's fair enough, strange things can happen - if this kid doesn't have a good career i'll eat my hat!

All of those players you mention had talent, but clear weaknesses. With Greenwood I don't see any, I just hope he's got the desire and will to push himself even further once he "makes it".

Last edited:

minh_loc_xoay

That's a dumb thing to say. So because he did not score in his first 3 games, 2 of which he came on as a sub, he can't be a special talent?

Mbappe 'only' scored in his 5th league appearance. He must be worthless as well then. Rashford scored a brace on his debut so is a bigger talent?

I'm not saying he's overrated or will not become world-class. What I'm saying is he needs to prove himself more with actual output (Goals, assists...) before we can actually make that claim. Our young players who had a far more explosive debut than him (Rashford, Martial...) all ended up being a bit stuck at the moment. So for Greenwood I need more proof from his performance before making claims that he would surely be world-class. How many times have our players got their hypes burned themselves?

Adam-Utd

I'm not saying he's overrated or will not become world-class. What I'm saying is he needs to prove himself more with actual output (Goals, assists...) before we can actually make that claim. Our young players who had a far more explosive debut than him (Rashford, Martial...) all ended up being a bit stuck at the moment. So for Greenwood I need more proof from his performance before making claims that he would surely be world-class. How many times have our players got their hypes burned themselves?
Perhaps look passed scoring goals and just look at his all round play. The movement he showed, the control, the link up.

The maturity he plays with is well beyond what a 17 year old usually has.

That is why the coaching staff are taking their time with him. He's probably able to play straight away, but they're edging him in slowly.

romufc

While that's fair enough, strange things can happen - if this kid doesn't have a good career i'll eat my hat!

All of those players you mention had talent, but clear weaknesses, with Greenwood I don't see any, I just hope he's got the desire and will to push himself even further once he "makes it".
I agree with you, I really want him to do well, and Ole seems to favour youth so hopefully he will get his chance. For that reason, I am happy to sell Lukaku and replace him with a RW or a solid CM because I think we can get away with Martial, Rashford and Greenwood with maybe Sanchez still there.

The thing that got the other players hyped, they all scored winners for us in the first 5 apps which put pressure on them. Greenwood seems alot better technically, and two footed.

BlahRules

Mason can be that back up, he is a striker after all. We should rather invest in a starting RW instead.
If we are interested in Sancho then we may not sign a RW.

Greenwood could play at that position to help his development. Ben Yader is 29, we need experience and someone who has the pedigree to score 20+ goals a season.

Being 6th place last season does not give us the luxury to take gambles.

Kostov

If we are interested in Sancho then we may not sign a RW.

Greenwood could play at that position to help his development. Ben Yader is 29, we need experience and someone who has the pedigree to score 20+ goals a season.

Being 6th place last season does not give us the luxury to take gambles.
We shouldn't wait on Sancho, after all we can have two RW in the squad. Ben Yedder is hardly the experience we need he spent his career at second rate clubs, and at 29 is a short time fix which we will benefit very little.

6th place does not give us luxury for gamble? During the season it was "fight for top 4" does not give us luxury for gamble, yet here we are finished 6th. The reality is, we ain't going out of this mess in a season. Instead of spending 30m for a 29 year old not top class CF we should plan long term and give our special talent those minutes. In a year time we will be in a better situation with Greenwond getting those minutes rather than another mediocre player.

Handré1990

We shouldn't wait on Sancho, after all we can have two RW in the squad. Ben Yedder is hardly the experience we need he spent his career at second rate clubs, and at 29 is a short time fix which we will benefit very little.

6th place does not give us luxury for gamble? During the season it was "fight for top 4" does not give us luxury for gamble, yet here we are finished 6th. The reality is, we ain't going out of this mess in a season. Instead of spending 30m for a 29 year old not top class CF we should plan long term and give our special talent those minutes. In a year time we will be in a better situation with Greenwond getting those minutes rather than another mediocre player.
I agree. Time to think more long term than just the next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.