Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's been outstanding again this season, he's a fairly tall lad so it always shocks me just how good his balance is, I'd say it's almost as good as Gomes. If he wasn't such a brilliant goalscorer with his skillset I'd peg him to be a great false 9 in the future.

The term "complete" gets thrown around a lot these days but Mason's the only one who I think has it all; both footed, agile, quick off the mark and generally a pacy player, composed, well balanced, excellent dribbler, natural finisher, a great passer and he always seems to pick the right pass.

I've never been so convinced a player will make it here as I am about him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's been outstanding again this season, he's a fairly tall lad so it always shocks me just how good his balance is, I'd say it's almost as good as Gomes. If he wasn't such a brilliant goalscorer with his skillset I'd peg him to be a great false 9 in the future.

The term "complete" gets thrown around a lot these days but Mason's the only one who I think has it all; both footed, agile, quick off the mark and generally a pacy player, composed, well balanced, excellent dribbler, natural finisher, a great passer and he always seems to pick the right pass.

Yep to me he looks more ready than Gomes and Chong who everyone talks about
Lukaku out, Greenwood in

Canagel

When will he get promoted tto the first team ? A matter of time surely

Aloysius's Back 3

how good is he with his left foot? is he predominantly right footed?

What would be better for you?

Martial - Rashford
Greenwood (f9)

or

Rashford - Greenwood
Martial (F9)

It's always been my dream to see a false 9 in our sqaud - the target man thing has been ancient at our club and we are better suited to modern day technical forwards ever since RVN got scrapped for Ronaldo and Berbatov failed in my opinion.

deafepl

Martial - Rashford
Greenwood (f9)

or

Rashford - Greenwood
Martial (F9)

It's always been my dream to see a false 9 in our sqaud - the target man thing has been ancient at our club and we are better suited to modern day technical forwards ever since RVN got scrapped for Ronaldo and Berbatov failed in my opinion.
I'd say Greenwoods is better as false 9 than Martial or Rashford, he looks like he could be attacking midfielder who could support midfield and lay balls off for two strikers like Martial and Rashford to make a run. Greenwoods is more unpredictable with his feet, which make it difficult for the defender and goalkeepers to guess which foot he'll use. He's left-footed but very comfortable with right feet.

Judging from the video, completely world-class performance from him and too good for this level, Young Boy cannot handle him at all, he could have 4 assists from this if they can finish chances.

Mason Greenwood is something else, I haven't seen a player from our academy running the show and toying with them easily since the 2010s, he looks so real deal.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Martial - Rashford
Greenwood (f9)

or

Rashford - Greenwood
Martial (F9)

He’s actually left footed :lol:

Or is he... :smirk: he’s so good with both I’m genuinely not sure

Aloysius's Back 3

I'd say Greenwoods is better as false 9 than Martial or Rashford, he looks like he could be attacking midfielder who could support midfield and lay balls off for two strikers like Martial and Rashford to make a run. Greenwoods is more unpredictable with his feet, which make it difficult for the defender and goalkeepers to guess which foot he'll use. He's left-footed but very comfortable with right feet.

Judging from the video, completely world-class performance from him and too good for this level, Young Boy cannot handle him at all, he could have 4 assists from this if they can finish chances.

Mason Greenwood is something else, I haven't seen a player from our academy running the show and toying with them easily since the 2010s, he looks so real deal.
He’s actually left footed :lol:

Or is he... :smirk: he’s so good with both I’m genuinely not sure
May be an unpopular opinion but this is exactly the reason Im not worried about having a RW. We hardly have a proper LW.

Get Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, Greenwood, Lukaku even Lingard all playing as forwards - that has number of false 9's, number of left forwards and right forwards. Wingers are a waste of time and wingbacks do the exact same thing wingers do; normally much more deeper and much more able space to attack away from defenders.

Hell even players like Lingard have a role in that playing as a defensive false 9 the way he finds space when people are attacking. A complete utter cluster of wonderfully technical forwards that can start centrally and drift wide into space rather than the traditional invertwed forward that starts wide and drifts inwards which defenders are very used to now.

AltiUn

Martial - Rashford
Greenwood (f9)

or

Rashford - Greenwood
Martial (F9)

I'm not actually sure what his strongest foot is, I think it's his left but hard to tell, he's honestly as good with either foot. In the formations you listed I think he'd suit the false 9 role a lot better than Rashford or Martial, but I think he's best suited to a 1 striker system with him leading the line. He's really too good at scoring goals to have him anywhere else, he's just got that hunger that proper strikers have where 1 goal just isn't enough for them.

El Jefe

I try not to get overly excited about our youth team players because I've been let down too many times but this kid is making it really hard.

Its rare you see a player look so comfortable on the left, right and central attacking positions but his close control and his ability to use both feet makes him a nightmare to defend against. I look at his build, technique and statistics and think how would he not make it here.

Aloysius's Back 3

I'm not actually sure what his strongest foot is, I think it's his left but hard to tell, he's honestly as good with either foot. In the formations you listed I think he'd suit the false 9 role a lot better than Rashford or Martial, but I think he's best suited to a 1 striker system with him leading the line. He's really too good at scoring goals to have him anywhere else, he's just got that hunger that proper strikers have where 1 goal just isn't enough for them.
Aye - but the way firminho plays for Liverpool allows Mane & Salah to play as strikers and not wingers. Greenwood for me; even though i have not seen him looks handy on the ball and the goal scoring thing isnt going to stay consistent at the upper levels; atleast not to the level he is now.

Plus messi was scoring goal upon goal with the space that David villa and Pedro were doing by movind the defenders out of position with their runs out wide - its something that suits all our strikers even Lukaku who is morea RF than a target man.

I hope we get this guy in to the first team on form - give him the best chance to kick start his career. Players like him and many others in the reserves should not only be called up for the friendlys in america. One of the main reasons we need a homegrown manager next, or a manger who is open to our wonderful academy.

deafepl

May be an unpopular opinion but this is exactly the reason Im not worried about having a RW. We hardly have a proper LW.

Get Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, Greenwood, Lukaku even Lingard all playing as forwards - that has number of false 9's, number of left forwards and right forwards. Wingers are a waste of time and wingbacks do the exact same thing wingers do; normally much more deeper and much more able space to attack away from defenders.

Hell even players like Lingard have a role in that playing as a defensive false 9 the way he finds space when people are attacking. A complete utter cluster of wonderfully technical forwards that can start centrally and drift wide into space rather than the traditional invertwed forward that starts wide and drifts inwards which defenders are very used to now.
I'm not worried about his performance, if he keeps up with a performance like against Young boy until the summer, many clubs will come calling for him on loan/buy, especially the Bundesliga like Dortmund, Schike 04, RB Leipzig, etc, La Liga like Valencia, Real Sociedad etc or Ligue 1 like Monaco, Lyon, etc. if they can't afford to buy attacking player.

AltiUn

Aye - but the way firminho plays for Liverpool allows Mane & Salah to play as strikers and not wingers. Greenwood for me; even though i have not seen him looks handy on the ball and the goal scoring thing isnt going to stay consistent at the upper levels; atleast not to the level he is now.

Plus messi was scoring goal upon goal with the space that David villa and Pedro were doing by movind the defenders out of position with their runs out wide - its something that suits all our strikers even Lukaku who is morea RF than a target man.

I hope we get this guy in to the first team on form - give him the best chance to kick start his career. Players like him and many others in the reserves should not only be called up for the friendlys in america. One of the main reasons we need a homegrown manager next, or a manger who is open to our wonderful academy.
Yeah Firmino was actually the player I was thinking of when I mentioned false 9, he's got the skillset to play in a couple of positions really, he'd make a good number 10 as well. I think he'd play really well with someone like Martial, a solid inside forward on the right would work quite well with him, Chong and Bohui/anyone else we play on the left, like to cut inside a lot so he's probably quite used to it already.

One of the biggest reasons I want our next manager to have a good record with youth is because of the amount of talent we have at the moment, Greenwood's obviously the crown jewel but we've got quite a few players I'm excited about in the academy.

AltiUn

I'm not worried about his performance, if he keeps up with a performance like against Young boy until the summer, many clubs will come calling for him on loan/buy, especially the Bundesliga like Dortmund, Schike 04, RB Leipzig, etc, La Liga like Valencia, Real Sociedad etc or Ligue 1 like Monaco, Lyon, etc. if they can't afford to buy attacking player.
Thankfully we just recently tied him down to a professional contract so we won't be selling him any time soon, a loan might not be out of the question next season, it might depend on how he does with the u23s and if he ends up being fast tracked to the first team.

Aloysius's Back 3

Yeah Firmino was actually the player I was thinking of when I mentioned false 9, he's got the skillset to play in a couple of positions really, he'd make a good number 10 as well. I think he'd play really well with someone like Martial, a solid inside forward on the right would work quite well with him, Chong and Bohui/anyone else we play on the left, like to cut inside a lot so he's probably quite used to it already.

One of the biggest reasons I want our next manager to have a good record with youth is because of the amount of talent we have at the moment, Greenwood's obviously the crown jewel but we've got quite a few players I'm excited about in the academy.
And to add to that - it seems that the whole English generation have moved on from the strengthy muscular type ( the last we saw were the golden generation who also had technical ability/but possibly not enough), and we may have more players in our reserves that could surprise us with the football they are able to play.

A manager who is in to our youth and values technicality and we cant be out for too long. It's all about sticking to our values that have granted us success and entertainment through many generations.

dutchred

He is so two-footed. Ive hardly ever seen a player so young equally good with either foot. Booby Charltons was the last I remembered.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Mitten was saying that the current plan for him is to promote him to first team training regularly from Xmas period and then see what happens. Surely that'll be changed now.

Sb_16

Don't want Mourinho ruining him. Like with TFM and Tuanzebe, if you're promoted to first team, you'll hardly play any football at all, not even reserve matches.

haram

Mitten was saying that the current plan for him is to promote him to first team training regularly from Xmas period and then see what happens. Surely that'll be changed now.
Why would it be changed?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Makes the most sense really. Allow him to train with the bigger and stronger players whilst still playing games at youth level. Depending on how it goes possibly a loan in the summer.

haram

I mean if Nelson can get a loan to a Bundesliga club maybe we should look into it for Mason...

Trizy

He remains me of a quicker RVP. But more two footed.

His dribbling with both feet is fantastic, it's actually hard to tell which foot he is when running at pace.

Can't wait to see how he turns out.

In Rainbows

Our next manager needs to be someone with a proven track record of bringing through youth. If we can't give a chance to Greenwood and Gomes in the next 2 seasons, then what's the point of the academy?

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Our next manager needs to be someone with a proven track record of bringing through youth. If we can't give a chance to Greenwood and Gomes in the next 2 seasons, then what's the point of the academy?
That's why the idea of lurking Pochettino (or even Jardin for that matter) should excite most United fans right now. Then again who knows how would they react once they have a high budget; see Pep. :)

AltiUn

That's why the idea of lurking Pochettino (or even Jardin for that matter) should excite most United fans right now. Then again who knows how would they react once they have a high budget; see Pep. :)
Pep wasn't exactly a revelation with youth before he joined City.

KM

He's talking about someone who gives youth a chance. So that counts Pep out.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Pep wasn't exactly a revelation with youth before he joined City.
He's talking about someone who gives youth a chance. So that counts Pep out.
It was more than OK at Barca though, admittedly helped by the fact he himself was promoted to coach the 'A' team after the 'B'. So all I'm saying is budget and expectations overrule lot of things from the coaches' perspectives. Anyway, even from a PR point of view, it would be great from Woodward to hire someone who actively wants to involve this current crop of youngsters at United. And someone who perhaps has a more modern view on football than Van Gaal. :)

KM

It was more than OK at Barca though, admittedly helped by the fact he himself was promoted to coach the 'A' team after the 'B'. So all I'm saying is budget and expectations overrule lot of things from the coaches' perspectives. Anyway, even from a PR point of view, it would be great from Woodward to hire someone who actively wants to involve this current crop of youngsters at United. And someone who perhaps has a more modern view on football than Van Gaal. :)
BTW, just noticed that City got eliminated yesterday in CL. Bad talent or management? Quite surprising that they usually spend a lot of money at youth levels.

MonkeysMagic

I dont want his raw talent to be polluted by Mourinho’s non-footballing ethos. So after xmas sounds about right, to coincide with new management and hopefully eventually replacing Lukaku by Feb!

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
BTW, just noticed that City got eliminated yesterday in CL. Bad talent or management? Quite surprising that they usually spend a lot of money at youth levels.
I think both to a considerable extent.

I mean 'bad' is probably a too strong of a word, most of those games could have gone any way, apart from the Lyon ones who are just a class above. Some interesting attacking talents such as Garre, Matondo, Touaizi but they aren't ready yet. And some long-term injuries didn't help the progression of the likes of Doyle or Taylor-Richards, who seemed like the best talents a year ago. But it certainly doesn't have the vibe of the Foden-Brahim-Nmecha team and even they weren't able to reach the highest of heights at youth level (trophy wise I mean).

Sorry for being offtopic. :)

Reactions: golden_blunder
Y'know the way he moves and how technically effective he is the RVP comparisons are pretty good,as comparisons tend to go.
Still,I will hold back in praising Greenwood to the hilt for the time being.

Lets just calm down and see how his time with us pans out.

dbs235

I think both to a considerable extent.

I mean 'bad' is probably a too strong of a word, most of those games could have gone any way, apart from the Lyon ones who are just a class above. Some interesting attacking talents such as Garre, Matondo, Touaizi but they aren't ready yet. And some long-term injuries didn't help the progression of the likes of Doyle or Taylor-Richards, who seemed like the best talents a year ago. But it certainly doesn't have the vibe of the Foden-Brahim-Nmecha team and even they weren't able to reach the highest of heights at youth level (trophy wise I mean).

Sorry for being offtopic. :)
No surprise, their academy seems amazing.

Gordon S

Genuine question, what is Lukaku better at? It's of course difficult to compare until we see Greenwood playing games for the first team. But at a quick glance, it seems to be size and strength.

First touch? Close control? Dribbling? Passing? Balance? Better control of the right foot? Vision? I think Greenwood might be better at all those things.

Or would he suddenly look like Lukaku against better defenders...

In Rainbows

Genuine question, what is Lukaku better at? It's of course difficult to compare until we see Greenwood playing games for the first team. But at a quick glance, it seems to be size and strength.

First touch? Close control? Dribbling? Passing? Balance? Better control of the right foot? Vision? I think Greenwood might be better at all those things.

Or would he suddenly look like Lukaku against better defenders...
There will probably be an adjustment period to what he tries on the pitch because stronger, faster players will be able to nick the ball more often than his current opposition can.

Status
Not open for further replies.