Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
He didn't really do a great deal, first time I've seen him play at any level but I've heard a lot about him. Hopefully we'll use him sparingly during pre season.

Nick7

Well he's 16, the club has to protect him. Realistically is he going to play in the first team for us this season? It's unlikely.
Yeah but it would nice to see him get a good few minutes against San Jose

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
He hardly got the ball yesterday, but his cross was probably the best moment of quality from any of the youngsters who have featured in pre-season so far.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He hardly got the ball yesterday, but his cross was probably the best moment of quality from any of the youngsters who have featured in pre-season so far.
Yep, he really does remind me of RVP. Brilliant curling cross that Mctominay really should have done better with unfortunately.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Ryan Sessegnon played in the Championship at 16, i'd imagine Mason Greenwood could be doing the same pretty soon

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I try to watch as much of G. Rossi as possible. Every day. It helps. But not much.
That was the last time I felt this certain a kid would be a star. Actually, probably Pogba too. Wilson scored a tonne of goals but didn’t have that “far too good for this level” thing you got with Rossi and get with Greenwood. I still think Rossi would have been one of the most prolific strikers in Europe if he didn’t have shit luck with injuries.

Classical Mechanic

That was the last time I felt this certain a kid would be a star. Actually, probably Pogba too. Wilson scored a tonne of goals but didn’t have that “far too good for this level” thing you got with Rossi and get with Greenwood. I still think Rossi would have been one of the most prolific strikers in Europe if he didn’t have shit luck with injuries.
The second goal was fantastic too and both the assists were good passes, perfectly weighted.

deafepl

When last time did we have a two-footed player from the academy to make a debut? I can only think of Pogba who is also comfortable with both feet. We had many strikers going up through our academy but none is comfortable with two foot, many of them are right-footed and few left footed. Greenwoods is just two-footed, you have no idea how it is rare for the striker to be comfortable with two foot, he looks like he has a killer instinct to score a goal anywhere, even with both feet

So if the likes of Lingard, Alli, Rashford who is right-footed, it limits their goal opportunity if they felt need to stop and use their right foot to score before it is too late. For an example, Ali had a golden chance against us last month but couldn't use his left-footed then had to cut with his right foot, the ball goes saved by De Gea, that's why two foot is far more valuable.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
When last time did we have a two-footed player from the academy to make a debut? I can only think of Pogba who is also comfortable with both feet. We had many strikers going up through our academy but none is comfortable with two foot, many of them are right-footed and few left footed. Greenwoods is just two-footed, you have no idea how it is rare for the striker to be comfortable with two foot, he looks like he has a killer instinct to score a goal anywhere, even with both feet

So if the likes of Lingard, Alli, Rashford who is right-footed, it limits their goal opportunity if they felt need to stop and use their right foot to score before it is too late. For an example, Ali had a golden chance against us last month but couldn't use his left-footed then had to cut with his right foot, the ball goes saved by De Gea, that's why two foot is far more valuable.
Angel Gomes.

mav_9me

He was a great little player. Goalscorer and with vision to create.

Irrational.

Explosive talent. Give him 1-2 years with the odd first team cameo here and there, and he can't be much worse than Lukaku.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Genuinely believe he’s not a million miles away from being involved with the squad. He’s that good. In the event of injuries, he’s certainly ahead of Bohui, who is older.

He’s 17 in a couple of weeks, but nobody is suggesting he starts weekly or anything. Macheda won us a title at 17, and we love to say ‘if you’re good enough, you’re old enough’, but when it comes down to it, not many are willing to stand by it. After all, the only argument against Greenwood I’ve seen is ‘he’s 16’. Still, he’s not 14. He’s a professional footballer, and clearly better than the 18s.

I’d have him on the bench against Derby County. U23s is men’s football, from a physical perspective anyway. Last game Charlie fecking Adam was kicking the shit out of our players for Stoke U23s.

I think he can feature in the League Cup and for the reserves. Next season, he should be on the fringes of the squad if he continues what he’s doing.

Thiagoal

He's a better prospect than Jadon Sancho imo who is getting plenty of game time at Dortmund! The 'needs to bulk up' idea is lazy; he's extremely strong for a 17 y.o and probably more physical than a lot of the U23's (Gomes/ Chong) He also appears very mature for his age- although I'm just guessing that one!

I say give him a shot with the firsts... would give us fans something to get excited about!

Ritish Talwar

The boy is special and at the moment just could not stop scoring.
No need to rush him into the first team set up at the moment. Just a few cameos maybe in the league cup with the first team and gradually promote him with the U23s.

Nero

Greenwood, Gomes, Chong give me hope for a bright attacking future.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's a better prospect than Jadon Sancho imo who is getting plenty of game time at Dortmund! The 'needs to bulk up' idea is lazy; he's extremely strong for a 17 y.o and probably more physical than a lot of the U23's (Gomes/ Chong) He also appears very mature for his age- although I'm just guessing that one!

I say give him a shot with the firsts... would give us fans something to get excited about!
That's just naive. I am a big a fan of Greenwood as anyone here. But let's be realistic.

Ok there aren't any Razor Ruddock's or Chopper Harris anymore but they are still big fast and physical still.

If some International defender like Lindeloff still can't handle the physicality of the League yet, what makes you think a 16y.o lad will be able to handle defenders who will brush him off the ball if not hack the hell out of his legs to say 'welcome to the big time!'

Gomes has a more mature game and yet you dont see them pushing him up to the seniors anytime soon. They know a 5ft 3in kid needs to find his own way of coping with much larger players like how Messi did if he is to make a career in England. After what happened to Possebon and how he crawled into his own shell after that tackle, you dont need that to happen again especially for these more talented players.

There is no point rushing the kid. Maybe in a couple of years' time -- there is already a log-jam at the forward positions.

worldinmotion66

One of mourinho's major strengths is taking every competition seriously. Unfortunately that probably means we won't see greenwood yet but I'd like to see him named on the bench against derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.