Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I would play this kid now up top
And I would also play Gomes now in deep lying midfield

I don’t give a shit about age. We are shite up top and possibly the slowest team ever at moving the ball around midfield

Play them
We'll drag them down with our systemic issues. With such young kids, we may as well hold off until we have a proper team in place to integrate them.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The danger of having these guys play in the first team now is that older pro's are easily able to play against them through experience alone. Someone like Gomes at DLP would be eaten alive. The lads need subs appearances and development.

Secondly if someone like Pereira cannot get into the team, what hope do younger, less experienced players have?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You see Sancho starting for England at 18 last night. We point fingers at City, but by the looks of things, we would have been using the same ‘too young’ excuse if he were here.

DanClancy

You see Sancho starting for England at 18 last night. We point fingers at City, but by the looks of things, we would have been using the same ‘too young’ excuse if he were here.
Its not just United, the phyiscal nature of the PL makes its difficult for any lad that age to make a breakthrough, really doubt Sancho would be in the England side if he'd have moved to any other PL club.

I do think Greenwood is capable of making a breakthrough next year though, probably ahead of Gomes.

I'm hoping with the success of Sancho at Dortmund that the likes of Chong might get a loan move to a Bundesliga club next season if not earlier.

Smores

For sure but that's the nature of a big club versus one who needs to reinforce with cheap young players. It's almost negligent for a manager at a top club not to spend and go with the safer option. It's so competitive tge risk of relying on youth is huge and the benefit of saving money is irrelevant.

Trying to bring through one youngster a season is about the right level. People routinely list off 4 or 5 academy lads as ready to step up, it won't happen.

Bwuk

Would he do any worse than Lukaku has done this season?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Next season. Needs time to get a bit stronger
Unless all the strikers are injured like what happened to Van Gaal's tenure, we won't be seeing him soon.

He will be allowed to grow his core strength before that final push imo.

Possibly another 2 seasons if he stays fit.
Thanks for the reply. Consensus from you both on what he needs to develop. Would love to see him get appearances next season from the bench.

Utdstar01

Unless all the strikers are injured like what happened to Van Gaal's tenure, we won't be seeing him soon.

He will be allowed to grow his core strength before that final push imo.

Possibly another 2 seasons if he stays fit.
2 more years stuck playing in the U23s? Be a complete waste of time for somebody as talented as him.

SteveW

Thanks for the reply. Consensus from you both on what he needs to develop. Would love to see him get appearances next season from the bench.
Technically he's fine. Just needs time to get stronger and adapt to playing at a higher level. He's just moved to the u23s and been good but not quite imposing himself. He's a sensational talent and a good size for his age so it shouldn't take him too long.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Technically he's fine. Just needs time to get stronger and adapt to playing at a higher level. He's just moved to the u23s and been good but not quite imposing himself. He's a sensational talent and a good size for his age so it shouldn't take him too long.
Sounds very good :drool:

BaseFishing

Would he do any worse than Lukaku has done this season?
I'm gonna dissent and say that he would have done better than Lukaku, but only for a while, the same way that Rashford was a revelation up top for his first few months of first team football.

Utdstar01

Wouldn't exactly say he's not imposing himself. Its a brand new team(arguably less talented than the u18s) playing under a shite manager with a huge contrast in style of play to the u18s.

deafepl

Wouldn't exactly say he's not imposing himself. Its a brand new team(arguably less talented than the u18s) playing under a shite manager with a huge contrast in style of play to the u18s.
Not less talented, most of the players who won north league U18 last season is in U23 as of now and schooling youth league U19 the likes of Juve, Young Boy and Valencia, comfortably advanced to the round of 16, I think it had to do with the style of play Sbragia make it looks less attractive and boring, limiting their talents.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Its not just United, the phyiscal nature of the PL makes its difficult for any lad that age to make a breakthrough, really doubt Sancho would be in the England side if he'd have moved to any other PL club.

I do think Greenwood is capable of making a breakthrough next year though, probably ahead of Gomes.

I'm hoping with the success of Sancho at Dortmund that the likes of Chong might get a loan move to a Bundesliga club next season if not earlier.
For sure but that's the nature of a big club versus one who needs to reinforce with cheap young players. It's almost negligent for a manager at a top club not to spend and go with the safer option. It's so competitive tge risk of relying on youth is huge and the benefit of saving money is irrelevant.

Trying to bring through one youngster a season is about the right level. People routinely list off 4 or 5 academy lads as ready to step up, it won't happen.
Tbh I’m more referring to the fans here. Certainly a hypocrisy, if that’s not too harsh a word. I see majority of fans on here finding it ridiculous that a 17 year old will play in the first team. Until it happens at another club. We do point figures but there’s always a healthy section of posters who constantly dismiss anyone under 20 getting games in the first team, simply because they are under 20. This is regardless of academy form.

Utdstar01

Not less talented, most of the players who won north league U18 last season is in U23 as of now and schooling youth league U19 the likes of Juve, Young Boy and Valencia, comfortably advanced to the round of 16, I think it had to do with the style of play Sbragia make it looks less attractive and boring, limiting their talents.
The likes of Whelan, Dearnley, Hamilton etc. aren't as gifted as Traore, Garner or Levitt. Obviously i'm not speaking about Gomes, Chong, Buffonge or Barlow.

In Rainbows

The likes of Whelan, Dearnley, Hamilton etc. aren't as gifted as Traore, Garner or Levitt. Obviously i'm not speaking about Gomes, Chong, Buffonge or Barlow.
Honestly, Laird and Garner should get promoted to the u23s as well.

Don't forget the u23s have O'Connor as well.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Garner is in the u23s and Dearnley and Whelan barely ever play. It's like saying Chong is more talented than Mellor or Ramazani. The comparison means nothing.

The u18s aren't more talented.

Utdstar01

Garner is in the u23s and Dearnley and Whelan barely ever play. It's like saying Chong is more talented than Mellor or Ramazani. The comparison means nothing.

The u18s aren't more talented.
Sorry i didn't mean to name Garner :) Well Dearnley has started every game since the Reading game and only missed the Wolves game since then. Whelan tends to be from the bench. Hamilton hasn't missed a game all season. We've too many midfielders in the U18s atm that need more game time.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Sorry i didn't mean to name Garner :) Well Dearnley has started every game since the Reading game and only missed the Wolves game since then. Whelan tends to be from the bench. Hamilton hasn't missed a game all season. We've too many midfielders in the U18s atm that need more game time.
There have only been 5 games since the Reading one and he missed the Wolves and Newcastle games. So he has started every game except for the 40% which he didn't. The Norwich game we also rested all of our strong players for the UYL match. That isn't a consistent starter, it is 4 starts in 10 games. Whelan has 3 starts, 1 in the Norwich game where we rested all of our starters. So neither are regular starters so how does it make any sense to compare them to the u18s starters as comparison of talent in the sides? Like I said, Gomes, Chong, and O'Connor are miles better than Bernard, McGhee, Mellor, Ramazani etc. But similarly those comparisons are completely irrelevant.

In Rainbows

No idea how we've still got a coach at that level who everyone has felt is rubbish for so long.
Anyone know why Butt just doesn't coach that side? A lot of the u19s play for the u23s and those that don't, the u19s provide a great transition for Butt.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Anyone know why Butt just doesn't coach that side? A lot of the u19s play for the u23s and those that don't, the u19s provide a great transition for Butt.
We don't really know what his responsibilities are behind the scenes, running the academy is bound to be a lot of work, doing that plus doing daily management/training would add to that workload. The u19 give him the ability to manage but not so often that it might interfere with his other academy work, I could be talking out my arse here but that's just what it looks like to me.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Probably my current favourite thread. A bit of hope for the future!let’s not get ahead of ourselves though- he’s not getting into any PL side this season or next realistically, let alone Jose who just wont play him. Get him out on loan next season and see what he can do against men. He certainly has the tools to be a dominant player but he’s still growing. If this form keeps up for the season he’ll get a pretty good championship or European loan next year. It’d be class to see him banging in goals somewhere and getting the managers attention.

In Rainbows

Personally I don't like what Chelsea do with just sending players out on loan to the Eredivisie, but I don't mind it in this situation where Greenwood, Gomes, etc... are only 17-18. As long as they're not getting loaned out at age 20 because by that point I would really like to see these specific talents playing in a much tougher league than that. Better than just playing for the u23s especially because by that point they would have already had 1-2 years in that competition.

deafepl

If Mason Greenwood is not with us by 20/21 age according to Butt's policy, he is not going to make it.

SteveW

Agreed. It's a could prep for the first team really

Status
Not open for further replies.