5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

The more you see his highlights of the other day the better it gets. The actual turn when he receives the ball before his goal is great as well. The shift to get the Brighton defender to open his legs is deliberate as well I’m convinced. He knew exactly what he was doing every movement to make that tiny gap for him to shoot for.

The pass for the assist is exceptional as well. There is an easy ball across the front post for the Martial run that would have been a hard finish then you’ve got the harder ball to Bruno at the back post who has more to aim at.

Its awesome. Hopefully it continues and can he teach Rashford that shift shoot thing.

Andersons Dietician

I think people will be surprised with how quick he actually is, now he’s added some muscle he looks more explosive, it happens with loads of young players.
That’s not really that quick. I think Fred has had the fastest speed run this season for us at 23 mph and I think Martial is still joint 3rd or 4th with Vardy in the all time Prem speed run.

Still probably faster than the average Joe but he Mason didn’t ever really look to be trying that much in that sprint.

He'sRaldo

I think (and hope) that Greenwood will take the number 9 from Martial before we know it. Not because I dislike Martial, I’m enjoying the form he’s in this season.

Martial will then either move on or rotate with Greenwood as the striker or Rashford as the LW.

Greenwood shows signs of an elite level striker, will be tricky for Ole to continue his progression without pushing him into the 9 position sooner or later. Doesn’t have to be next season but perhaps the one after for sure.

I love the idea of a no 9 so unbelievably two footed spinning behind and scoring of either foot with the likes of Pogba, Bruno and Sancho feeding him. :drool:
It's like with MSN.

When Suarez was initially playing on the right and Messi up front, it didn't work that well even though Messi is a better striker than Suarez, and arguably better up front than on the right. When Messi decided to sacrifice his game for the good of the team, he and Suarez switched, and all of a sudden it was one of the deadliest front 3's in history, even with Messi playing in an arguably suboptimal position.

All that to say that even if Greenwood is a better striker than inside forward (which hasn't been proven in men's football yet), the balance of the team is still crucial, and our current balance with our front 3 is very good and doesn't need to be tampered with by sticking Martial or Rashford on the right just so that Greenwood can play the position people think he should.

Like others have said, there's a lack of top quality left-footed, right-sided inside forwards, so playing Greenwood there is most likely to the benefit of the whole team even if it isn't the position he played in the youth. It's working well right now, I wouldn't change it. And just to be clear in case someone misses the point, I'm not comparing our strikers with MSN.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
That’s not really that quick. I think Fred has had the fastest speed run this season for us at 23 mph and I think Martial is still joint 3rd or 4th with Vardy in the all time Prem speed run.

Still probably faster than the average Joe but he Mason didn’t ever really look to be trying that much in that sprint.
That's the average speed over 70 yards though, his top speed during it may have been quicker.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

The point is he isn't slow, he ran faster than Martial and Rashford who are deemed to be very quick.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I think (and hope) that Greenwood will take the number 9 from Martial before we know it. Not because I dislike Martial, I’m enjoying the form he’s in this season.

Martial will then either move on or rotate with Greenwood as the striker or Rashford as the LW.

Greenwood shows signs of an elite level striker, will be tricky for Ole to continue his progression without pushing him into the 9 position sooner or later. Doesn’t have to be next season but perhaps the one after for sure.

I love the idea of a no 9 so unbelievably two footed spinning behind and scoring of either foot with the likes of Pogba, Bruno and Sancho feeding him. :drool:
I think you guys underestimate how hard it is to play as a CF, especially for a very young player.

There is certainly no need to play Greenwood as a 9 if he happens to breakthrough as a RW. It'll be pointless trying to shoehorn him as a CF while he'd develop as an elite RW or inside forward.

I don't see a scenario where Ole who is clearly developing Martial as his CF, Greenwood breaking out as our RW for him to then try and complicate things by forcing Greenwood as CF while he'd already done well as a RW and we already have a well playing CF in Martial.

People are underestimating how much of a thankless job CF can be and the pressure that comes with it. Always being on periphery of games and relying on your teammates providing. Go a game or 2 without goals and people start asking question irregardless of whether you got supplied or not.

Greenwood himself hasn't got the strength and body to play as a CB and fending off against PL big CBs all the time. He'd take him a few more years to even develop at that level while as a RW/inside forward he has the means to break through now and itd be much easier.

As of right now Greenwood as a CF will be shut out of games while as a RW he's finally getting himself involved in games and is dangerous throughout, so why mess that up just to play him in a position he doesn't have to?

Being a prolific goal scorer doesn't mean one has to play as a CF. That's an outdated way of thinking. The modern game has goals coming from inside forwards not just strikers. The game has simply changed.

lenny_1248

Huge difference to what exactly? Mbappé was a wide player at youth level who started his professional career upfront and he didn't start with Falcao who was playing for Chelsea.
1. Playing as a stand alone number 9 and in pair is a huge difference.
2. In 2015/2016 season he literally played only 300 minutes and as a winger.
3. In 2016/2017, his breakout season, he played in pair with Falcao.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
1. Playing as a stand alone number 9 and in pair is a huge difference.
2. In 2015/2016 season he literally played only 300 minutes and as a winger.
3. In 2016/2017, his breakout season, he played in pair with Falcao.
Again what's the relevance? Playing as a striker in a pair isn't equal to playing as a winger, it's a striker role. I don't really see where you are going with this, no one talked about lone striker or not, it's about not playing the role that you played at youth level.

RUCK4444

I think you guys underestimate how hard it is to play as a CF, especially for a very young player.

There is certainly no need to play Greenwood as a 9 if he happens to breakthrough as a RW. It'll be pointless trying to shoehorn him as a CF while he'd develop as an elite RW or inside forward.

I don't see a scenario where Ole who is clearly developing Martial as his CF, Greenwood breaking out as our RW for him to then try and complicate things by forcing Greenwood as CF while he'd already done well as a RW and we already have a well playing CF in Martial.

People are underestimating how much of a thankless job CF can be and the pressure that comes with it. Always being on periphery of games and relying on your teammates providing. Go a game or 2 without goals and people start asking question irregardless of whether you got supplied or not.

Greenwood himself hasn't got the strength and body to play as a CB and fending off against PL big CBs all the time. He'd take him a few more years to even develop at that level while as a RW/inside forward he has the means to break through now and itd be much easier.

As of right now Greenwood as a CF will be shut out of games while as a RW he's finally getting himself involved in games and is dangerous throughout, so why mess that up just to play him in a position he doesn't have to?

Being a prolific goal scorer doesn't mean one has to play as a CF. That's an outdated way of thinking. The modern game has goals coming from inside forwards not just strikers. The game has simply changed.
Yeah just to be clear I'm not advocating that we should change anything right away, just that for his optimal development you can't really keep Greenwood shunted out to RW particularly if we make a huge investment in Sancho - who will play there every game.

So if that exact scenario plays out are we just happy with Greenwood rotating with Sancho for the RW spot in cup games? Listen - I don't know the answer but I fear his development would be hindered as a result.

This kid is breaking through as we speak, right now, not in a few years time when it's more convenient. That's why I think that Ole will, at some point in the near future, have to make a choice between Greenwood or Martial as the no. 9. Or at least rotate between the two at the no 9 position and have Ighalo as a backup. Maybe not next season but soon.

I love Martial when he's on form but we can't let Greenwood stagnate.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah just to be clear I'm not advocating that we should change anything right away, just that for his optimal development you can't really keep Greenwood shunted out to RW particularly if we make a huge investment in Sancho - who will play there every game.

So if that exact scenario plays out are we just happy with Greenwood rotating with Sancho for the RW spot in cup games? Listen - I don't know the answer but I fear his development would be hindered as a result.

This kid is breaking through as we speak, right now, not in a few years time when it's more convenient. That's why I think that Ole will, at some point, have to make a choice between Greenwood or Martial as the no. 9. Or at least rotate between the two at the no 9 position and have Ighalo as a backup. Maybe not next season but soon.

Why not a choice between Sancho and Rashford? That's the point of adding Sancho, everyone will fight for his place and whoever wins his battle is a win for the team. If Greenwood outperforms Sancho then I don't see why Martial or Rashford should be moved.

Andersons Dietician

This kid is breaking through as we speak, right now, not in a few years time when it's more convenient. That's why I think that Ole will, at some point in the near future, have to make a choice between Greenwood or Martial as the no. 9. Or at least rotate between the two at the no 9 position and have Ighalo as a backup. Maybe not next season but soon.

If you think about the timing there is every chance that come January it’ll be he and Martial in rotation for the number 9 position if we don’t sign Igahlo or someone permanent.
I Would think he’ll still get plenty of time rotating with Sancho on the RW to boot so although it might not be lots of consecutive minutes I would imagine he’ll still get plenty of chances.

Heck Aguero developed from a RW to what he is now.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

I think the point me and many are making is that if Greenwood breaks out as a RW then there won't be any need to shoehorn him as a CF. Let's say in 2-3 years time Greenwood has exploded as a top level RW/inside forward then I seriously doubt Ole or whoever in charge will drop all that just to play him as a CF.

And in the scenario where we have Sancho, Greenwood could clearly be played all across he front 3 as an option but I still think it'll be easier for him to break from the RW. He won't be a starter as our CF next year with or w/o Sancho while he has a chance to be one as a RW. Reasons Ole and the coaching stuff been looking for an experienced back up striker and eventually found Ighalo is because Greenwood isn't anywhere near ready to feature as out CF while it'll be much easier for him to break out as a RW/Inside forward.

Also Greewood playing as a RW isn't him being shunted out there. He's an inside forward and in the modern game they are goalscorers, not out and out wingers. Not to mention that Greenwood greatest strength right now is cutting from that right side left or right, take on his defender and shoot. It's basically has become a trademark of his and he's damn good at it. At his age, with his lack of experience playing against big PL CBs with his back to goal, he'd get shut down easily and negated. Now imagine a young Greenwood this year or next year constantly having those games while the media is piling the pressure. His confidence would get shattered.

As a RW all those problems aren't there. The pressure to constantly score, having to deal with PL center backs, he'll be given space etc. To even think to start playing him as our CF, that's at least 2 years from now and even then not sure he'd be ready to be properly integrated while as a RW/inside forward that could happen now. And if as an inside forward he turns out to be a top player why then bother having him becoming a CF again?

RUCK4444

I think the point me and many are making is that if Greenwood breaks out as a RW then there won't be any need to shoehorn him as a CF. Let's say in 2-3 years time Greenwood has exploded as a top level RW/inside forward then I seriously doubt Ole or whoever in charge will drop all that just to play him as a CF.

And in the scenario where we have Sancho, Greenwood could clearly be played all across he front 3 as an option but I still think it'll be easier for him to break from the RW. He won't be a starter as our CF next year with or w/o Sancho while he has a chance to be one as a RW. Reasons Ole and the coaching stuff been looking for an experienced back up striker and eventually found Ighalo is because Greenwood isn't anywhere near ready to feature as out CF while it'll be much easier for him to break out as a RW/Inside forward.

Also Greewood playing as a RW isn't him being shunted out there. He's an inside forward and in the modern game they are goalscorers, not out and out wingers. Not to mention that Greenwood greatest strength right now is cutting from that right side left or right, take on his defender and shoot. It's basically has become a trademark of his and he's damn good at it. At his age, with his lack of experience playing against big PL CBs with his back to goal, he'd get shut down easily and negated. Now imagine a young Greenwood this year or next year constantly having those games while the media is piling the pressure. His confidence would get shattered.

As a RW all those problems aren't there. The pressure to constantly score, having to deal with PL center backs, he'll be given space etc. To even think to start playing him as our CF, that's at least 2 years from now and even then not sure he'd be ready to be properly integrated while as a RW/inside forward that could happen now. And if as an inside forward he turns out to be a top player why then bother having him becoming a CF again?
Yes but the point I’m making is Greenwood is potentially an elite level CF. Something Martial probably won’t achieve. So I don’t think it’s shoehorning him in, it’s his natural position.

Surely we would want the elite CF that he can become and then play the others around him, which to be fair they are all wingers shoehorned into 9s whenever they play there anyway (for the most part) with the exception of Mason. It’s always been his position.

It’s all valid points and creates a real headache for Ole, albeit a good one to have.
I just hope it comes together nicely with the timing of his progression as I think this kid can be something else.

Andersons Dietician

That's the average speed over 70 yards though, his top speed during it may have been quicker.
Aye maybe you’re right. He didn’t look to be travelling that fast or trying that hard. And Rashford seems to be catching him all the time and is running from a further distance and well Martial is just matching him for pace once Greenwood is level with him.

I think he’s quick, maybe not explosive quick like James or Rashford but he certainly isn’t slow at all.

meninred

greenwood to me is a player of the future. We need a matured or intelligent striker to help all the martials..grennwoods..james and rashfords of this world.

mav_9me

I don't understand why people are so desperate for this to happen. He looks so much dangerous as a right forward. Also this is our weakest position. Finding goal scoring right sided player has been the biggest challenge for us since SAF retired. Greenwood can make that position his own and with how he is playing he will end up with #7 too.

Greenwood can score many goals as RWF and also he will have more space to showcase his passing ability. Almost all big clubs have wide forwards as their star players, same will be case if Greenwood develops as Right forward.
Just to clarify I am not desperate for him to become a striker. I'm saying I think it will happen.

Skills

Snitch
He's a joke. Might get 20 for the season with the Europa League games to come

NinjaFletch

His finishing is so absurdly good I'm genuinely shocked when he doesn't hit the back of the net.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I adore this lad. I say it after every game he plays now, but he's so switched on, so calm in what he does. Seems like he has crystal clear vision of what's going on around him and what he wants to do with the ball.

Rolaholic

Absolute starboy this lad is, truly incredible gem of a talent we've got.

Actually starting to see rival fanbases getting alarmed or scared at the prospect of him leading our line for the next 10 years :lol:

led_scholes

Speechless. Everytime he gets the ball around the box, i feel he will score. Haven't felt that since RvP.

el3mel

What an incredible kid he's. Exceptional talent. Incredible breakthrough this season as well. He really lived up to his hype.

One of my most favorite players in the time at the moment.

Paul_Scholes18

Getting Messi feelings about this kid. So quick and good with both feets. Moves in such a nice way. Two great goals today even if I think the keeper could have done better against the first.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Do we have a genuine world on our hands?!

Surpassing Rooney in his first season for us. Way ahead of the likes of Ronaldo, Messi. Sancho or Mbappe at this age as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.