Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
15 goals this season, 12 on his left foot, and 3 on his right... Which would be normal if one of those right footed goals wasn't a penalty. Weirdo.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’ll be honest, I see some of Lionel Messi in him. Technically, he is without flaw. In addition to his fantastic goalscoring, be does everything right. The simple things, that a lot of forwards struggle with, especially young ones. He takes the ball under pressure, keeps it from the defender, and lays it off to a teammate every single time. He plays the right pass all the time. He dribbles effectively yet economically. He is a complete forward in the making. Creativity, ball retention, dribbling , passing and finishing all at a potentially elite level, and a good physique and speed to go with it. I was adamant that I didn’t want Haaland because of him, and I stand by that. He is outrageous.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’ll be honest, I see some of Lionel Messi in him. Technically, he is without flaw. In addition to his fantastic goalscoring, be does everything right. The simple things, that a lot of forwards struggle with, especially young ones. He takes the ball under pressure, keeps it from the defender, and lays it off to a teammate every single time. He plays the right pass all the time. He dribbles effectively yet economically. He is a complete forward in the making. Creativity, ball retention, dribbling , passing and finishing all at a potentially elite level, and a good physique and speed to go with it. I was adamant that I didn’t want Haaland because of him, and I stand by that. He is outrageous.
I've seen the same but didn't want to mention it because I thought I'd be called a loony.

edcunited1878

Well deserved and not a surprise, especially as this is for the Nations League.

If Euros still happen next year, he should be in that squad as well all things considered. He's out performing Kane and Wilson (although different positions) and CHO.

Classical Mechanic

The difference with Messi is his self-sufficiency, despite being a incredible and consistent finisher he can dribble 4 players by himself and create goal scoring opportunities all on his own. We’ll have to see if Mason can keep scoring these low probability goals like Messi does season after season.

I agree on Haaland, great player though he is - he’s more of a big bounding puppy whilst Mason is more of an aesthete, like RVP.

FujiVice

I forgot who said it, but my ears began ringing the other day on TV when someone said they reminded him of prime Fernando Torres. Especially his second goal where everyone seemed to shit themselves prior to him unleashing a thundercnut into the top corner.

Raven

Whilst I rate Greenwood extremely highly, I'm not sure he's more talented than Martial, let alone Messi. Messi was being talked about as the future best player of all time when he was 16/17 by people inside and outside Barcelona. I realise you aren't comparing him to Messi, but I'm struggling to see many similarities in their playing style at all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Whilst I rate Greenwood extremely highly, I'm not sure he's more talented than Martial, let alone Messi. Messi was being talked about as the future best player of all time when he was 16/17 by people inside and outside Barcelona. I realise you aren't comparing him to Messi, but I'm struggling to see many similarities in their playing style at all.
Greenwood has no significant weaknesses to his game. Those that knew him were also speaking of the certainty of his greatness since he was 16. He does everything at a very high level. Except heading, which is neither here nor there, he could become an all-time great without ever improving his heading.

There’s a cleanliness to his technique, his handling of the ball in every single phase of the game, not just the much discussed finishing, that I find extremely rare for someone his age. Something I don’t think I saw since Messi, who could also dribble, pass, finish, create etc at a very high level - plus make the right decisions consistently as a teenager.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mason trumps the competition and becomes the heir to Messi personally. In terms of minutes, he’s player 21 games this season, and has 15 goals. As a 17-18 gear old, not playing centre forward. Most of the goals he’s created for himself, and he can also create for others. I think he’s more talented than Martial personally. He’s not a ‘natural goalscorer’, he’s a ‘natural footballer’. So pure.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

This made me smile.
I find videos from Twitter extremely pointless. Due to the high compressing, the quality of videos are so poor that one can hardly see what's going on.

Righteous Steps

Greenwood has no significant weaknesses to his game. Those that knew him were also speaking of the certainty of his greatness since he was 16. He does everything at a very high level. Except heading, which is neither here nor there, he could become an all-time great without ever improving his heading.

There’s a cleanliness to his technique, his handling of the ball in every single phase of the game, not just the much discussed finishing, that I find extremely rare for someone his age. Something I don’t think I saw since Messi, who could also dribble, pass, finish, create etc at a very high level - plus make the right decisions consistently as a teenager.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mason trumps the competition and becomes the heir to Messi personally. In terms of minutes, he’s player 21 games this season, and has 15 goals. As a 17-18 gear old, not playing centre forward. Most of the goals he’s created for himself, and he can also create for others. I think he’s more talented than Martial personally. He’s not a ‘natural goalscorer’, he’s a ‘natural footballer’. So pure.
He is one of the most natural footballers I’ve seen for seen a long time, and in terms of how composed of a finisher he is he is in that Raul bracket of it looking so natural for him even at a young age.

Saying that he is far from a Messi, like everyone else is, Messi was dribbling past 3,4 players at that age, while scoring, while assisting also, players like Messi and Brazilian Ronaldo are complete one offs.

Im also not sure about him being more naturally talented than Martial, but I would say he is more varied, in that he can score with both feet, can dribble, press run in behind, also has a better understanding of the game.

I think he could be the best player in the world, but it still wouldn’t get him close to the Messi or Ronaldo level, these two are phenoms.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Greenwood's finishing talent is all time great and if compared to Martial he's simply the more talented finisher. But Martial is still more talented than him because outside of finishing where Martial himself is terrific himself, a 19 year old Martial in his first season simply showed more talent and abilities outside finishing(he was no slouch in this department either) than Mason.

I think what goes against Martial are the 3 years spent under Mourinho which stunted his growth by a lot. I remember threads on the Caf claiming they wouldn't swap Martial for anyone in the world. At 19 aside from finishing(again in which he was good himself), he showed dribbling, pace, technical abilities and maturity in his game that current Greenwood has yet to show. Talent is a funny thing, if not nurtured right, it get wasted and easily forgotten.

Greenwood is a more talented finisher than Martial but the latter at 19 was a better talent than Greenwood overall. The good thing about Greenwood is that he has the chance to nurture his talent in a good environment with a manager that will trust him and let him grow, something which was not afforded to Martial and Rashford. They should have started capitalizing on their talents a few years ago rather than starting now.

Raven

I agree, he's supremely talented but I don't think he's as big a talent as Messi, he doesn't have that incredible pace or close control. He could well end up being the best in the world but I think Martial is just as if not more talented. I'm just delighted we have both and they're looking great along with Rashford.

Handré1990

Greenwood's finishing talent is all time great and if compared to Martial he's simply the more talented finisher. But Martial is still more talented than him because outside of finishing where Martial himself is terrific himself, a 19 year old Martial in his first season simply showed more talent and abilities outside finishing(he was no slouch in this department either) than Mason.

I think what goes against Martial are the 3 years spent under Mourinho which stunted his growth by a lot. I remember threads on the Caf claiming they wouldn't swap Martial for anyone in the world. At 19 he showed finishing, dribbling, pace, good pacing and maturity in his game that current Greenwood has yet to show. Talent is a funny thing, if not nurtured right, it get wasted and easily forgotten.

Greenwood is a more talented finisher than Martial but the latter at 19 was a better talent than Greenwood overall. The good thing about Greenwood is that he has the chance to nurture his talent in a good environment with a manager that will trust him and let him grow, something which was not afforded to Martial and Rashford. They should have started capitalizing on their talents a few years ago rather than starting now.
Sorry mate, I have to strongly disagree. You prefer Martial, fair enough, but in no way was Martial a bigger talent at 19 than Greenwood is now at 18 even. In some respects I’m sure, like Martial was more physically developed (maybe). I love Martial, though clearly not as much as you! ;)

I’m pretty sure Greenwood will become one of the best players of his generation (yes, this again), which he’ll show us over the next 4-5 years, and it won’t be because he works harder than Martial or some such bollocks. Martial has a real chance to become a great player, one we can rely on to win the highest honours, but I don’t see him becoming one of the very best as of now, one can certainly hope though!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I think what goes against Martial are the 3 years spent under Mourinho which stunted his growth by a lot. I remember threads on the Caf claiming they wouldn't swap Martial for anyone in the world. At 19 aside from finishing(again in which he was good himself), he showed dribbling, pace, technical abilities and maturity in his game that current Greenwood has yet to show. Talent is a funny thing, if not nurtured right, it get wasted and easily forgotten.

The sample with Mase is so small in terms of games at the moment, and I think his finishing is the current topic of conversation. That said, he is so much more than a brilliant finisher. When the ball comes to him 40 yards from goal, he is effective with it under pressure. He’s economic with his dribbling, but he doesn’t struggle to go past players. His touch is so tidy, he’ll spin away from an opponent and lay it off retaining possession far more often than players of his age usually do.

The rest of his game isn’t as flash yet, but it is so polished already. Half of his goals have involved him beating a defender first. It’s just so effortless, he’s not a Sancho type of player, but I’m sure statistically, he has a very high rate of dribbling success. Likewise passing success.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree, he's supremely talented but I don't think he's as big a talent as Messi, he doesn't have that incredible pace or close control. He could well end up being the best in the world but I think Martial is just as if not more talented. I'm just delighted we have both and they're looking great along with Rashford.
I mean, Messi is Messi - the similarities for me lie in the maturity and effortlessness of their games, and also how complete they are. I think he has fantastic pace by the way, faster than Messi, but the fact that he is not in the bracket as most promising young forwards in terms of being rapid is a testament for me. He is there due to flawless technique and decision making. That was the same with Messi. Even now, Messi will only beat you of he has to. As a young player he was never a flash dribbler who simply ‘needed to mature’. He already was. But he had the toolbox to overcome pretty much everything. He can beat a sliding tackle with a feint, he can beat a goalkeeper 100 ways, he can pass etc. I think Mase is similar, and it will become more apparent in time as other areas of his game get more praise. His dribbling is talked about less because even as a teenager, he doesn’t feel the need to take everyone on. He will if he has to, and he’s typically successful at it.

For the record, Messi is on his own for me.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I honestly expect him to be one of the top scorer in the league next season if he start regularly. That's how ridiculously rare his finishing abilities are. In terms of scoring goals his talent in that department remind me of Messi, not quite young Ronaldo yet but not far off either. Heck I'll wait to see how he ends this season to see if he can be compared to Il Fenomenon finishing talent.

The sample with Mase is so small in terms of games at the moment, and I think his finishing is the current topic of conversation. That said, he is so much more than a brilliant finisher. When the ball comes to him 40 yards from goal, he is effective with it under pressure. He’s economic with his dribbling, but he doesn’t struggle to go past players. His touch is so tidy, he’ll spin away from an opponent and lay it off retaining possession far more often than players of his age usually do.

The rest of his game isn’t as flash yet, but it is so polished already. Half of his goals have involved him beating a defender first. It’s just so effortless, he’s not a Sancho type of player, but I’m sure statistically, he has a very high rate of dribbling success. Likewise passing success.
Mason is incredibly talented as a overall player but his finishing is so all time great level that it just strikes you more. Reason I say and emphasis about his finishing ability. especially compared to Martial is because it's that obvious whereas the other part of his games can;t really be said to be better. His finishing is clearly and obviously better than Martial hence why it pops up more.

Overall game wise, Martial was terrorizing PL defenders and his overall game was just so mature and technical which I haven't seen current Mason show. In fact it's only lately that Mason has finally started showing more to his game in the league beside his ridiculous finishing. He used to just be on the periphery of game and just be quiet. He's currently showing more than just finishing and like someone mentioned somewhere it could have had to do with him filling himself first into the first team before being free to play his entire game.

You're right about the sample size for Mason being small and next year he could show a better overall game than Martial's first season but so far his finishing is the one obvious thing that separate him from Martial or anyone for that matter while he's yet to show Martial overall and technical abilities.

Last edited:

macheda14

Why are we looking at PL goals? Goals in all competitions are a much better metric...
No they aren’t. Goals in the prem are the metric we use to chart how good a player in a prem team really is. Greenwood scored a fair few in Europa against some not so great teams.

AfroBuffalo

I know it sounds weird but I love that he doesn’t go over the top with his celebrations when he scores a great goal. It’s like he’s so grounded and obviously to him what he’s done is nothing special as he probably does it all the time in training; any other 18 year old scoring the goals he’s doing is probably going wild.

Alemar

No they aren’t. Goals in the prem are the metric we use to chart how good a player in a prem team really is. Greenwood scored a fair few in Europa against some not so great teams.
he scored in EL playing alongside not so great teammates (Lingard etc), while started very few PL matches.

Besides, contrary to some other clubs, ManUtd actually tries to WIN EL and domestic cup, and a trophy is something that stays forever in club’s history book. As such, cup goals are by no means less important than PL goals - this season at least.

-Supreme-

I honestly expect him to be one of the top scorer in the league next season if he start regularly. That's how ridiculously rare his finishing abilities are. In terms of scoring goals his talent in that department remind me of Messi, not quite young Ronaldo yet but not far off either. Heck I'll wait to see how he ends this season to see if he can be compared to Il Fenomenon finishing talent.

Mason is incredibly talented as a overall player but his finishing is so all time great level that it just strikes you more. Reason I say and emphasis about his finishing ability. especially compared to Martial is because it's that obvious whereas the other part of his games can;t really be said to be better. His finishing is clearly and obviously better than Martial hence why it pops up more.

Overall game wise, Martial was terrorizing PL defenders and his overall game was just so mature and technical which I haven't seen current Mason show. In fact it's only lately that Mason has finally started showing more to his game in the league beside his ridiculous finishing. He used to just be on the periphery of game and just be quiet. He's currently showing more than just finishing and like someone mentioned somewhere it could have had to do with him filling himself first into the first team before being free to play his entire game.

You're right about the sample size for Mason being small and next year he could show a better overall game than Martial's first season but so far his finishing is the one obvious thing that separate him from Martial or anyone for that matter while he's yet to show Martial overall and technical abilities.
One of the reasons how Martial was terrorizing PL defenders was largely down to his body frame, he had the strength to hold off defenders that Greenwood had clearly lacked but he has now added a few pounds since lockdown and starting to expand his game that he was already doing in the youth team - his maturity is unreal with great understanding of what he should and shouldn't be doing.

Revan

Assumptionman
15 goals this season, 12 on his left foot, and 3 on his right... Which would be normal if one of those right footed goals wasn't a penalty. Weirdo.
That was weird. I wonder if he did it just to look cool, or he actually is right-footed, but extremely comfortable with the left foot.

I have no idea which is weirder than other, but I don't think that I've ever seen a player taking a penalty with his weaker foot (I have seen free-kicks and corners, but not pens).

cyberman

The Premier league is full of woeful teams

Bwuk

The thing is if him, Rashford and Martial played an equal amount of minutes next season I reckon Greenwood would comfortably score more than the other two.

Feel he’s too much of a goal threat not to play 90 mins every week. Needs a half chance to score and can create that for himself too.

Revan

Assumptionman
The thing is if him, Rashford and Martial played an equal amount of minutes next season I reckon Greenwood would comfortably score more than the other two.

Feel he’s too much of a goal threat not to play 90 mins every week. Needs a half chance to score and can create that for himself too.
Likely.

I think that Martial and Rashford are better players right now, but he should be able to score more than them. If we don't buy Sancho next season (and so Mason is a starter), even from right-wing while not taking pens, I would expect him to outscore the other two.

-Supreme-

He will likely score more than Rashford if we do not count penalties.

I have no doubt he will play at least 1 game a week even if Sancho is here next season.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
That was weird. I wonder if he did it just to look cool, or he actually is right-footed, but extremely comfortable with the left foot.

I have no idea which is weirder than other, but I don't think that I've ever seen a player taking a penalty with his weaker foot (I have seen free-kicks and corners, but not pens).
Apparently he takes all his pens with his right foot since youth level. What I heard is that he once missed a pen with his left foot so decided to take all his penalties with his right foot from that point on.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Apparently he takes all his pens with his right foot since youth level. What I heard is that he once missed a pen with his left foot so decided to take all his penalties with his right foot from that point on.
That's a lot like me to be fair. I once missed a pen with my right foot, and so then decided I just wouldn't take penalties anymore.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I wouldnt change him for Haaland, thats how high I rate him.
Same here. When people were fussing about Haaland, my mind kept thinking this guy is like a year older than Mason while the latter is a lot more talented. Of course Haaland has had time to show his talent on stage while Mason has finally gotten his opportunity this season.

In a year or 2 I'm confident Greenwood will be universally seen as the better talent and player. Right now it's mostly some United fans who see this because they get to watch him but it'll be obvious to anyone soon enough.

Dante

Average bang

100% agree.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yes I have noticed he is very unlike Rashford in his first appearances for the first team in that he hardly ever gives the ball away. Rashford tried a few more tricks I guess... but only a few. Mason has efficient little tricks, normally just to get in a position to shoot. But his crossing and passing game in general looks good and he is even good at holding up the ball. Plus I am not sure I have ever seen a more genuinely 2 footed striker. It was hilarious watching that footage of the Bournemouth lot shouting 'Don't let him turn' as they were scared of his left foot, so he just shifts it to his right. Very exciting stuff.

I know he has scored most his goals with his left... but if he had played off the left I could very easily believe it would simply be the other way around.

Heir to Messi though? No.

macheda14

he scored in EL playing alongside not so great teammates (Lingard etc), while started very few PL matches.

Besides, contrary to some other clubs, ManUtd actually tries to WIN EL and domestic cup, and a trophy is something that stays forever in club’s history book. As such, cup goals are by no means less important than PL goals - this season at least.
It’s not that they are more or less important, it’s just they are an easier way to chart the relative success of players. If we were looking at day Aguero vs Rashford and Rashford has scored more overall goals, mostly coming in the EL, but Agüero had scored more Premier league goals by some distance, then you would be right to argue Agüero had a more successful season. It’s the only real way to compare the two players as they’re playing mostly the same opponents.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

I'm glad someone mentioned he's had some quiet games, his average Caf rating is only 5.8, which doesn't match how people are talking about his season.

I'm not sure what's different now, it may just be Pogba and Bruno opening the game up, maybe he's just improved, but the last few games have been better than anything we've seen before from him. Of course he looked good before, but he did have some very quiet games where he was subbed off as well.

I tend to get way too excited about our youth players, so I'm very pleased and want to make sure he gets enough game time going forward if we do pick up another attacker, don't get me wrong people. I think Ole has handled him brilliantly, in fact. Just the right amount of responsibility and game time.

KennyBurner

Everything you've said is displayed in this video. We need a greenwood hive!

Its a bit embarrassing he is being compared to martinelli.

In Rainbows

Guys, Greenwood doesn't dribble like a Messi does and likely never will. Messi was a freak in that regard. You would have likely seen it at youth level if that were the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.