Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In the great ‘who misses out if Sancho comes’ debate - I think Fernandes also comes into the conversation. That’s how high the standard is going. Mase can also play that role, and I think he’s better than Bruno too.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I haven’t seen a young player (just 18) who is already so complete and polished in a very long time. When you look back, all that young 18 years old we had you had at least 3-4 things you knew they needed to improve. With Mason, I truly don’t know what his weakness is.

It is truly exceptional and so exciting to watch!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
In the great ‘who misses out if Sancho comes’ debate - I think Fernandes also comes into the conversation. That’s how high the standard is going. Mase can also play that role, and I think he’s better than Bruno too.
To have tough competition is the best thing that can happen to the club. It will lift all these young players to another level long term, no doubt

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I am afraid of being disappointed all over again, so I refuse to get my hopes up for how good he can be. Let's just not have that discussion, we've had our fingers burnt with too many prospects before.

But I'll say this - he already is a top top player, and the goals he's scoring are quite phenomenal for any striker, no matter their age or experience. Left foot, right foot - placement and power. He already is one of the best finishers I've seen - every time he gets the ball in the box with even a little space around him, I expect him to score.

When he shoots from 20 yards or closer you just expect back of the net to ripple. When it doesn't its such a baffled feeling, like playing a computer game and wondering if you've put the cheat code in correctly
This sums it up quite accurately.

superdry

touched by a genius
Floats like a Butterfly stings like Bee? looks like we got us a killer Hornet!

Bondi77

The whole footballing world must be talking about Mason now,
Outstanding!

Eire Red United

We need to get him on a 5/6 year contract. Although I think his current one runs til 2023. My worry would be Sancho taking Oles preference and Mason feeling hard done by and becoming unsettled.

On a longer contract he will likely force his way into the team as one of our star men within that time. He may do sooner anyway but would love for us to secure his next five years.
The way he is now he’s undroppable. Ole absolutely loves him as far as I can tell.

Craig Ward

The boy is deadly.

When you get him in space with a shooting chance, you expect a goal. He's an immense talent

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It speaks volumes for the standards he is setting when you were disappointed he didn’t score from the first shot on goal he had last night (when he took the ball on the turn in the no.10 position, ran at the defence and shot with his left foot to the bottom right corner).

I was fully expecting him to score that. Mental, really.

Andersons Dietician

Even without the goal last night I probably would have made him man of the match. First half he was a man on a mission. You can see the fear and uncertainty he has put in defenders already. They don’t wanna go close incase he puts it through him or goes right or left.

I also can’t remember a player having such confidence to just smash it and know where it’s going. The accuracy and power of his strikes are crazy.

Was shocked he fluffed two. The swipe earlier and the one where he did not make a good contact. Was just expecting to see those in the back of the net given his prowess.

Classical Mechanic

Not so sure about that. Just because average players might no score the goal doesn't mean an excellent talent wouldn't.

thinking back to all the goals he's scored there isn't many that I think "shouldn't have scored that", he just makes them look normal due to his accuracy and power he hits it with.

He will no doubt end up having a bad patch but his base level is usually extremely high. I know reserve football isn't the same but he was genuinely dangerous in pretty much 9/10 matches he played.

I see no reason with the way he plays right now why he can't keep up a consistently high level.
What we'd be talking about is one of the very best forwards in the world, probably a top 3 player in the world. I think that you have to be a little careful making those predictions with such certainty when more often than not you end up being a prisoner of the moment.

Do Xg take into consideration whether player shoots with weaker foot?
Not 100% sure, depends on the sophistication of the model. I think understat is pretty basic so may not account for it.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The way he is now he’s undroppable. Ole absolutely loves him as far as I can tell.
He will get dropped at some point - hes only young - his form will naturally be a bit hot and cold and even when on a hot streak at 18 his body is still going to need some time to rest / recover and develop properly and thats more important in the long run

We have 4 premier league games, and potentially 2 FA cup games and 4 Europa games (I believe they are all one leg games in the last 8 onward?)

Ill be very surprised if he starts all those - I do hope he gets some time through the center though as i think it would be interesting to see him there in order to assess options

crossy1686

career ending
And people try to say our academy is poor, or at best behind Chelsea or City.

We produce talents on a yearly basis, the one's that don't make it here go on to be PL regulars for other clubs or play in top leagues around the world. Greenwood is absolutely brilliant, I haven't been this excited about one of our youth products since 92'.

This sums it up for me:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Mason is going to score a lot of goals for Manchester United. I mean quite possibly more than anyone.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What we'd be talking about is one of the very best forwards in the world, probably a top 3 player in the world. I think that you have to be a little careful making those predictions with such certainty when more often than not you end up being a prisoner of the moment.

Not 100% sure, depends on the sophistication of the model. I think understat is pretty basic so may not account for it.
I do think he has that potential yes. What doesn't he have?

the only way he fails to become a star is if he becomes complacent or fame gets to his head. at United surrouded by good role models I don't see this happening.

for me it'll be Mbappe, Greenwood and Sancho as the next best attackers in this generation.

Classical Mechanic

I do think he has that potential yes. What doesn't he have?

the only way he fails to become a star is if he becomes complacent or fame gets to his head. at United surrouded by good role models I don't see this happening.

for me it'll be Mbappe, Greenwood and Sancho as the next best attackers in this generation.
He has the potential for sure. He's an incredible talent. I'm just more cautious. Sancho has also outperformed his xG significantly in the past two seasons.

Redfrog

Mason is going to score a lot of goals for Manchester United. I mean quite possibly more than anyone.
He will. No doubt about that. He scored 16 this year, at 18 and not playing that much. This is just amazing.

He already looks like a 25 goals a year player. I am sure at one point he will score 30-40 goals. He will break Rooney's record by some margine I think.

The most impressing thing about last night is how much he is involved in the game and how he helped Wan Bissaka to play the ball out of the back.

The question is not if he will score but how many

RC89

Oh yeah. If we're talking on merit he absolutely cannot be dropped.

I'd be worried if I was Rashford because both Sancho and Greenwood can play on the left. Sancho can apparently play even better there (only from what I've heard). If Mason keeps his form, Sancho cannot replace him and maybe instead replace Rash.

RC89

Be careful, love the hype and all but this is football, bloody hell, for all we know he could end up being the next Macheda, Januzaj or Ravel Morrison. :nervous:
Macheda was never this talented
Januzaj did very well TBF
Morrison was troubled from the get go, not heard anything like that from Mason.

InfiniteBoredom

Be careful, love the hype and all but this is football, bloody hell, for all we know he could end up being the next Macheda, Januzaj or Ravel Morrison. :nervous:
The fundamentals on Greenwood’s game, which is the ability to strike the ball with incredible accuracy and power with very little backlift means that he’d have a good career at the top level at minimum. Even when he’s 35 with no pace, he can still hang around the box and smash them in.

Macheda never had that level of finesse despite scoring loads at youth level, and Morrison + Januzaj had attitude issues on top of the fact that it takes the whole package to succeed in their area of the pitch.

In Rainbows

Important to keep in mind Macheda only scored 5 goals in total for United in his entire United career. Greenwood's already got 11 more at the age of 18 in a single season. That's apart from the fact that he's a much better technician and had a superior goal scoring record at youth level.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
What a terrible post! He is nothing like them, and is already far better than they have ever been.

Rolaholic

Took a bit longer but Januzaj has actually developed into a decent player tbf.

Arguably been one of Sociedad's best player the last 2 seasons along with Odegaard

Eli Zee

I don’t understand why this is so difficult for some to comprehend.
Fitness and form issues will means all four get at least 30 starts each, and loads of action off the bench too
And that’s before any agenda Ole may have, or a muscle or long term injury.
Don’t think martial or rashford would play as RW tho? That spot would be for Sanch,greenwood,James. Sancho/greenwood can probably rotate anywhere on the front 3 and James rotate between LW and RW.

SirAnderson

Agreed, was just taking the piss with all the generational talent posters :D
Still touch wood (not woody) he will become a legend for us and not fall flat for millions of uncontrolled reasons.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Agreed, waa just taking the piss with all the generational talent posters :D
Still touch wood (not woody) he will become a legend for us and not fall flat for millions of uncontrolled reasons.
Don’t back track now, you think he is another Macheda.

Important to keep in mind Macheda only scored 5 goals in total for United in his entire United career. Greenwood's already got 11 more at the age of 18 in a single season. That's apart from the fact that he's a much better technician and had a superior goal scoring record at youth level.
16 goals I believe in all competitions.

your point is right though.

Kamprad

I wrote in another thread just a few days ago that he is far from a generational talent. Tbh that was before I really seen him play after the corona break. Well, I watched the game yesterday and I have to say he’s much better than I imagined. So effortless but still so sharp. Especially his finishing. With both feet! I’ve heard it many times that players has two feet when it’s actually a natural good first foot and a very good trained second foot. I don’t know but he seems to have two “first feet”. Does anyone know? Maybe it’s a well trained very good second foot. Like Nadal in tennis.

Drainy

All the talk from people who know him say he's a humble, hard working, dedicated, polite and quiet kid who just loves football.

Obviously that could change with success but unlikely if they are right about him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm over the moon with the way he's been playing and while I rate him incredibly highly as does everyone else, I'm not going to jump the gun by expecting him to be the greatest English player ever, or a future Balon Dor winner.

He's a wonderful talent. Let's just enjoy his peformances and hope he keeps improving.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was thinking last night, in terms of teen striking prodigies who never delivered on their potential, would Pato be the most obvious ?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Possibly Owen? Had a mental few years before dropping off a cliff in his mid twenties.
I’d say those mental few years would make his career an overall success. Even if injuries finished him early. Pato was injury ruined too, I think.

That’s all that stands between Greenwood and greatness IMO. Shit luck with injuries or a lack of professionalism. Everything I’ve heard/read about him makes the latter scenario unlikely but you never know.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He was the best player on the pitch against Aston Villa no doubt about it. He has incredible awareness and football understanding, which is why he is so deadly in the build up. He knows whats around him and he knows to keeps things simple when that's the best option, however if there is space to turn and create he'll do it quickly with such conviction and technical execution that it always lead to some sort of advantage for us. Similar trait to what Bruno does through the middle. We've seen him run play like this in the U18's, but never seen this level of playmaking, which is a bit nuts and he is learning every day. He was so far beyond his teammates in the U18's and now that he is playing with players more on the same level you'd expect him to shine a bit more as a result, but he looks far on his way to surpassing these players already which quite frankly is insane.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Possibly Owen? Had a mental few years before dropping off a cliff in his mid twenties.
Owen was always class he just got bad injuries that took his speed away. After that he was just a decent level poacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.